PDA

View Full Version : Lookin' for a Feat

noparlpf
2011-09-19, 09:09 PM
I'm playing a Ranger in a campaign, and I could swear I once saw a feat that reduces the penalty for re-hiding after sniping to -10. Does anybody know what I'm thinking of?

Flickerdart
2011-09-19, 09:25 PM
Able Sniper (RotW) gives you +4 on that check. Forest Ambusher (Dragon 315) reduces the penalty to -15. together, you only have a -11. Close enough?

noparlpf
2011-09-19, 09:27 PM
I have Able Sniper already, and that might be what I was thinking of. And thanks, I'll look up that other feat in the morning.
I still think I saw one that halved the penalty. Maybe it was an item or a template or something though.

Silva Stormrage
2011-09-20, 12:50 AM
I believe this is what you wanted. This is from the archery handbook

Concealed Ambush [DR339 Pg. 87] - Requires Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Hide: 10 ranks, Move Silently: 10 ranks
Lots of prerequisites, but you'll have those all as a sniper anyways. This one is a doozy. When sniping, you only take -10 on the Hide-check to Hide again. That's effectively +10 to your Hide-checks for this purpose. It's a very limited feat, but if I was making a Sniper, I'd make sure to pick this one given that Dragon Magazine were an allowed source.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-09-20, 12:55 AM
Just cast Camouflage or get a Wand, and get Hidden Talent for Chameleon and you can use a Dorje. They're different bonus types, that's a +10 Circumstance bonus from Camouflage and a +10 Enhancement bonus for Chameleon, plus whatever Competence bonus you have and get a masterwork tool for another +2. Even if both of those are at caster level 1 (which a Wand and Dorje should be) you'll get 10 minutes of sniping and chances are nothing will ever find you.

Dr.Orpheus
2011-09-20, 02:11 AM
if you play pathfinder and use the firearms you can hit both flat footed from your sniping and guns in pathfinder hit touch AC so your target is compleatly vulerable then use called shot and whatever version of ranged power attack you wish and add on the sneak attack damage if a rouge the result BOOM HEADSHOT

noparlpf
2011-09-20, 05:14 AM
I believe this is what you wanted. This is from the archery handbook

Concealed Ambush [DR339 Pg. 87] - Requires Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Hide: 10 ranks, Move Silently: 10 ranks
Lots of prerequisites, but you'll have those all as a sniper anyways. This one is a doozy. When sniping, you only take -10 on the Hide-check to Hide again. That's effectively +10 to your Hide-checks for this purpose. It's a very limited feat, but if I was making a Sniper, I'd make sure to pick this one given that Dragon Magazine were an allowed source.

Yeah, that's the one. Thank you!
We're level 5 now, so I should have those prereqs around level 8, I think. So that might be my level 9 feat if we reach that level.

Just cast Camouflage or get a Wand, and get Hidden Talent for Chameleon and you can use a Dorje. They're different bonus types, that's a +10 Circumstance bonus from Camouflage and a +10 Enhancement bonus for Chameleon, plus whatever Competence bonus you have and get a masterwork tool for another +2. Even if both of those are at caster level 1 (which a Wand and Dorje should be) you'll get 10 minutes of sniping and chances are nothing will ever find you.

Thanks for the suggestions, but it's a wilderness campaign and I'm never going to have access to those things.

Dictum Mortuum
2011-09-20, 05:32 AM
The halfling rogue level 10 substitution feature (from a races of the wild IIRC) does exactly the save thing.

noparlpf
2011-09-20, 05:40 AM
That's neat, but I'm playing a Grippli Ranger.
I might try a Halfling Wilderness Rogue next time we run a 16th level one-shot.
The Acorn of Far Travel (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20040710a) is nifty and makes Camouflage and HiPS work anywhere as long as you have it. With a range of feats to snipe, I could just walk around "invisibly" and sneak attack things until they pass their spot checks.

Darrin
2011-09-20, 07:23 AM
Don't leave home without your Darkweave Silk Pantaloons:

Darkweave Silk Pantaloons
Price: 108 GP
Weight: --
(Eberron Campaign Setting p. 122)
+1 circumstance bonus to Hide checks under shadowy or dark conditions. Note: it doesn't have to be silk pantaloons, but there is no "legs" or "pants" item slot, so anything you wear on your legs shouldn't interfere with your existing armor or magic items.

Also, grab some Chameleon Leather (360 GP, Serpent Kingdoms) for a +2 circumstance bonus on Hide checks or Shadow Silk Hide armor (Tome of Magic) for a +2 untyped bonus to Move Silently and Hide checks. Then see if you can get your hands on a Shadow Sibling (8000 GP, Magic of Eberron) for another +4 circumstance bonus.