PDA

View Full Version : 3Dimensional Rogue

Gandolfi Feesh
2011-09-19, 11:59 PM
I've just built myself a 14rogue for a friends campaign. Only trouble is he feels a bit 1dimensional. Sneak attack is pumped up, I'm critting on 15's and I get to add my dex to damage with dervish dance.. so all good on that front.
However, against anything that cant be critted or sneak attacked I'm useless. Does anyone have any tips on how to broaden my horizons (Combat Wise)?

SuperFish
2011-09-20, 12:12 AM
Wands of Gravestrike, Golemstrike and Vinestrike will help sneak attack undead, constructs and plants, respectively (Spell Compendium).

Alternatively, Greater Demolition and Greater Truedeath weapon crystals also allow sneak attacks against constructs and undead, while also dealing 1d6 and allowing your weapons to either pierce damage reduction as if adamantine or act as ghost touch.

Chilingsworth
2011-09-20, 12:24 AM
Also, to allow yourself to branch out, pump your UMD and collect scrolls, staves, and wands. Some good ones would be enervation, cure spells/lesser restoration, ray of enfeeblement, invisibility (both regular and greater,) web, and grease. Those should open your options up abit.

RaggedAngel
2011-09-20, 12:29 AM
I've just built myself a 14rogue for a friends campaign. Only trouble is he feels a bit 1dimensional. Sneak attack is pumped up, I'm critting on 15's and I get to add my dex to damage with dervish dance.. so all good on that front.
However, against anything that cant be critted or sneak attacked I'm useless. Does anyone have any tips on how to broaden my horizons (Combat Wise)?

Assuming you do want to play a Rogue and not something similarly-themed but way more interesting (ie, Swordsage) then I recommend that you pump your Use Magic Device as much as possible. It's a great skill that can give you a ton to do in combat.

As for your class, you should really find some random level of something that looks nice, since Rogue 20 is the worst level ever. Picking up a single level of Swordsage would give you +2d6 Sneak Attack, and make you eligable to select Shadow Blade for your 15th level feat, giving you Dex to damage again, which is delicious. You'd also pick up a ton of other cool stuff from a one level dip, and it would give you greater versatility by the bucketful.

Little Brother
2011-09-20, 12:49 AM
I'd might go with 2 levels for the AC boost, but that's just me. Either way, free Greater Invisibility +extra 2d6 sneak attack is too good to be passed up. I'd also suggest, I dunno, maybe a level in Feat Rogue for Adaptive Style, just so you don't suck after you blow all your maneuvers.

Tr011
2011-09-20, 01:22 AM
SuperFish gave u some nice advice there. Also, you should get Blast Globes (MiC), they are really useful even at high levels (some decent damage and nice effects on failed saves). And they are perfect for blasting away doors.
You need something vs many opponents anyway and I assume you don't have great cleave or some sort of swarm-killer.

Tvtyrant
2011-09-20, 01:29 AM
Binder 1+ 2 feats and Cleric 1 with the right domains are great dips.

Magic domain for cleric treats you as being both a first level cleric and a first level wizard for spell completion items. No UMD required.

Godskook
2011-09-20, 01:41 AM
Demolition and Truedeath crystals cover your construct and undead needs, respectively. Talk to your DM about homebrewing similar crystals for other creature types, or perhaps a universal crystal that'd work on everything.

The cost is going to be 16k for both crystals, as well as ensuring you've got a +3(not +3 equivalent, an actual +3) weapon. Your DM may rule that using greater magic weapon with a CL 12 or greater counts, but he might not. By RAW, that would work though, but would require DM ajudication if the crystal was left in for some odd reason.

Zaq
2011-09-20, 02:36 AM
Penetrating Strike (an ACF from Dungeonscape) lets you get SA damage against uncrittable things as long as you're flanking them, so that helps a little bit.

(I have to say I'm a little disappointed. I was expecting a discussion on flanking while flying or something like that. Oh well.)

noparlpf
2011-09-20, 06:10 AM
Penetrating Strike ACF: replaces Trap Sense, and you can deal half your sneak attack damage to things that are ordinarily immune.

Krazzman
2011-09-20, 06:15 AM
Wands of Gravestrike, Golemstrike and Vinestrike will help sneak attack undead, constructs and plants, respectively (Spell Compendium).

Afaik in Pathfinder Undeads can be critted and sneak attacked. (Golem/Constructs also)

But I'm not sure if this is Pathfinder (but then where does the Dervish Dance come from?)

As stated before: UMD is a must have. For combat: always have a sap with you (if you have to take hostages), pimp yourself with potions (holy water, alchemist fire etc.) and use them properly, if not pathfinder, or 3.5 splatbooks allowed: Skilltricks.

That would be my advice. UMD for the nasty magiks, potions/gimmiks for situational things (entangling fleeing/chasing enemys) and skilltricks for cool stunts.

Have a nice day,
Krazzman

koscum
2011-09-20, 08:35 AM
...Picking up a single level of Swordsage would give you +2d6 Sneak Attack, and make you eligable to select Shadow Blade for your 15th level feat, giving you Dex to damage again, which is delicious...
Not to mention Concentration as Will and Fort save...

Also, get a Wand of Wraithstrike or an item with continuous Wraithstrike (which is quite OP, so you might get a book-in-the-head-followed-by-a-d4-because-it-is-pointy instead).

Gandolfi Feesh
2011-09-20, 07:20 PM
Afaik in Pathfinder Undeads can be critted and sneak attacked. (Golem/Constructs also)

But I'm not sure if this is Pathfinder (but then where does the Dervish Dance come from?)

As stated before: UMD is a must have. For combat: always have a sap with you (if you have to take hostages), pimp yourself with potions (holy water, alchemist fire etc.) and use them properly, if not pathfinder, or 3.5 splatbooks allowed: Skilltricks.

That would be my advice. UMD for the nasty magiks, potions/gimmiks for situational things (entangling fleeing/chasing enemys) and skilltricks for cool stunts.

Have a nice day,
Krazzman

I'm such a goon sometimes, thanks for all the 3.5 advice...but I'm playing Pathfinder. For some reason I keep thinking this is a Pathfinder forum.

UMD is maxxed out. With a low Cha it looks like I'll be limited to a DC20 no fail wand, higher level scrolls may prove a bit tough at this current level.
Wand of Grease, never gets old..

Undead & Constructs can be crit'd & sneak attacked?? Tell me more....

SuperFish
2011-09-20, 08:48 PM
Yeah, Pathfinder removed the blanket precision-based damage immunity that a lots of creature types had in 3.5. There are still things that can't be sneak attacked (like incorporeal creatures), but the feature on the whole is harder to avoid in that way.

Take a look at the various rogue tricks in Pathfinder. There's tons of them, and a lot of them are really cool.