PDA

View Full Version : [PF]:The Barbarian That Throws Great Swords.

Doorhandle
2011-09-20, 12:11 AM
Alright, Ultimate combat is now on the pathfinder S.R.D

So I was looking over the (extensive) pile of feats there and there was something cool I noticed:

Raging Hurler
An opponent can do little to evade your wrathful pitching of weapons and objects.
Prerequisites: Rage class feature, Throw Anything.
Benefit: While raging, you can throw a two-handed weapon as a standard action, and you double the range increment for weapons you throw. If you also have the Quick Draw feat, you can throw two-handed weapons at your full normal rate of attacks. Further, you can pick up an unattended object that you can use as a improvised weapon within your reach as part of the attack action to throw that item.

Two-Handed Thrower (Combat)
You hurl weapons with both hands and with great force, sometimes using a whirling technique to send your weapon flying through the air at tremendous speeds.
Prerequisite: Str 15.
Benefit: Whenever you use two hands to throw a one-handed or two-handed weapon, you gain a bonus on damage rolls equal to 1-1/2 times your Strength bonus. Using two hands to throw any weapon requires only a standard action for you. If you also have the Quick Draw feat, you can throw two-handed weapons at your full normal rate of attacks.
Normal: You add your Strength bonus on thrown weapon damage, regardless of available hands. Throwing a two-handed weapon is a full-round action.

Then I thought: You know what? I bet that with the help of these feats I could make a Ranged barbarian that focused around throwing swords at people.

So then, gentlemen: What feats, Archetypes, and rage powers am I to use to birth The Barbarian That Throws Great Swords At People (TBTTGSAP) ?

I’d prefer to avoid 3rd party and 3.5 sources. Think I might go hurler as well so I have hurling charge and the ability to toss carts at fools. What counts as a hurl-able object, anyway?

Zagaroth
2011-09-20, 12:22 AM
You need a 'quiver' for greatswords, since you won't be able to physically carry all that many at once. Magical of course.

hrrm, efficient quiver already can hold 6 longbows...

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/e-g/efficient-quiver

talk to your DM, ask if for the same price, if you can have something that holds 20 medium-sized 2-handed mellee weapons. In case you find any great axes or mauls on your adventures you'd like to keep in there.

Also, as a ranged weapon, I recommend Point Blank Shot, Far Shot, Rapid Shot, and maybe Precise Shot

Dr.Orpheus
2011-09-20, 01:14 AM
If you plan on playing tis character in a party contaning small players see if your dm will allow the throw ally feat in races of stone. For more crazyness have characters you throw, throw weapons themselves

Tvtyrant
2011-09-20, 01:17 AM
ToB Bloodstorm (blader?) Prc lets you throw as a melee attack and gives your weapons the returning property; Master Thrower grants you bonuses to throwing weapons. Look up the "Katana chuker" for ideas.

Frosty
2011-09-20, 01:50 AM
So you basically want to do the move that is performed in this video starting at 0:33? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n7bbK6V7hk

Doorhandle
2011-09-20, 02:29 AM
Good ideas, but i want more pathfinder capablity...

So you basically want to do the move that is performed in this video starting at 0:33? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n7bbK6V7hk

Yes, but with a full attack, so there will be FOUR of those flying about eventually.

Alternately, I want to be Aurthur from ghosts and goblins, and just hurl a ****-ton of axes everywhere.

Also, I won't need a quivers as I need Quick-Draw to make full-attacks, and I will probably have enough strength, I will just need loads and loads of sheathes...

What sort of feats should I pick up?
Would point-blank shot be worth it?
Power attack is probably necessary, but can it be used with thrown weapons, or do I need Deadly Aim? Unless i'm going full Hurler, I might need both.
Also, does Vital Strike work with Hurling?

If you plan on playing tis character in a party contaning small players see if your dm will allow the throw ally feat in races of stone. For more crazyness have characters you throw, throw weapons themselves
That reminds me of something else I should ask: can you use hurling to throw a willing ally? I mean, technically, they're an object...

EDIT: MOAR rules questions!
It seems that rapid shot and Two-weapon fighting won't work, unless I become a Titan Mauler, or substitute Bastard swords.
Can you use Vital strike as part of a full attack? nevermind, I have been informed you cannot.

supermonkeyjoe
2011-09-20, 04:12 AM
Personally I'd go with an awakened gorilla raging hurler with a stack of barrels :p

Doorhandle
2011-09-20, 05:50 AM
:smallbiggrin:

Zagaroth
2011-09-20, 07:48 AM
You can use Rapid Shot with thrown weapons, it's a ranged attack.

TWF only works with ranged weapons if they are one handed.

grarrrg
2011-09-20, 08:02 AM
Personally I'd go with an awakened gorilla raging hurler with a stack of barrels :p

Start with either a Dire Ape (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/animals/primates/dire-ape) or a Girallon (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/magical-beasts/girallon) (may have to go High Girallon).
If going Ape 'awakened' is a must.

You will need a Spellcaster friend to cast Shrink Item (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/shrink-item) on a large number of barrels. The barrels must be non-magical, and get reduced to 1/16 in each direction (1/4096 original size). Assume a standard barrel is 4 feet by 2 feet. It is now 3 inches high, by 1-1/2 inches wide. Perfectly pocket-sized.

Finally, Improvised Weapon Mastery (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/improvised-weapon-mastery-combat---final) (feat) will increase the damage of your barrels, and improve the Critical range (you already qualify based on having Throw Anything, you just need +8 bab)

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-20, 09:58 AM

And take Leadership. Make your cohort an awakened monkey gunslinger with a peanut pistol, marbles (refluffed as banana peels), and a barrel jetpack.

grarrrg
2011-09-20, 12:14 PM
And take Leadership. Make your cohort an awakened monkey gunslinger with a peanut pistol, marbles (refluffed as banana peels), and a barrel jetpack.

As an alternative to Awakend Ape + Leadership, you could take Druid (Ape Shaman) and get a Monkey as your Animal Companion.

OOH! Take the Druid archetype that let's you have more than 1 animal companion, and also get a Rhinocerous, an Ostrich, a Swordfish, a Frog, a Parrot, a Spider, a Rattlesnake, a Seal, a....

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-20, 12:17 PM
As an alternative to Awakend Ape + Leadership, you could take Druid (Ape Shaman) and get a Monkey as your Animal Companion.

OOH! Take the Druid archetype that let's you have more than 1 animal companion, and also get a Rhinocerous, an Ostrich, a Swordfish, a Frog, a Parrot, a Spider, a Rattlesnake, a Seal, a....

Oh yeah, there are those animals that occasionally show up to help him. I think those guys are his awakened animal followers from Leadership.

Doorhandle
2011-09-21, 11:18 PM
You can use Rapid Shot with thrown weapons, it's a ranged attack.

TWF only works with ranged weapons if they are one handed.

Well, I think that thrown greatswords still count as two- Handed weapons and not ranged ones, so I think it is not compatable.

Also, while fun, I don't wanna be donkey kong. Know any large creatures with decent dex?

Ashram
2011-09-21, 11:20 PM
It's kinda silly that Two-handed Thrower mentions nothing about the Throw Anything feat, because otherwise throwing a greatsword would do jack-diddly unless it had the Throwing magic property on it.

Also, if you want to just use one greatsword, Throwing/Returning. :D

Doorhandle
2011-09-21, 11:27 PM
Eventually, when the character has the money.

Still though. I need info on good feats to take, and on large or bigger creatures with decent dex and as low a level- adjustment as possible.

I have a fairly good idea of rage-powers, though.

Seerow
2011-09-21, 11:29 PM
Bonus points if you get extra arms somehow, get TWFing, and start stacking on extra attacks from other sources. Because really who doesn't love the idea of the air being filled with like 10-12 greatswords every 6 seconds?

Ashram
2011-09-21, 11:34 PM
Bonus points if you get extra arms somehow, get TWFing, and start stacking on extra attacks from other sources. Because really who doesn't love the idea of the air being filled with like 10-12 greatswords every 6 seconds?

I'd feel bad for the party at this point; I doubt any of them would be able to speak with the loud "SWOOSH"es of greatswords every six seconds. XD

Doorhandle
2011-09-21, 11:56 PM
Synthesist summoner archetype. Problems, if the build is too good, no GM will let me. Just want to keep pace with someone who uses the greatsword in a sane manner.

MightyPirate
2011-09-22, 12:52 AM
Distance Thrower combines well with Far Shot. Deadly Aim is always helpful. Snap Shot would be useless but it's friends may be of use. Technically you can't use Cornugon Smash or Stabbing Shot but check with your GM to see if you can get some leeway because that would make sense.

Throw falchions for a better critical range (improved crit for shenanigans) or a scythe for a better multiplier and the ability to trip at range (add improved trip and greater trip for even more shenanigans.)

Also here's your character portrait, hope you don't mind I'm assuming male:
http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/9150/choppa.jpg

Doorhandle
2011-09-22, 01:40 AM
...Not what I had in mind but close enough that it's official :D

Also, was going to take improved critical anyway, Y'know, save the wizard some spell slots.

is there a feat letting you trip with a ranged attack?

Zagaroth
2011-09-22, 07:53 AM
Hmm, the fighter Archer archetype gets that as a special ability, can not find a feat for it off hand

MightyPirate
2011-09-22, 06:37 PM
It's because you don't need a feat for it, it's built into the weapon. If it says you can use a weapon to make a trip then you can do it at range if you can throw said weapon. Normally this only applies to Bolas, throwing shields, or an aklys because they're the only weapons with both the trip property and a range increment.

The feats Raging Hurler and Two-Handed Thrower just open up more weapon options. As I said: a scythe is probably the best strait tripping option and the falchion is nice for the critical range. If you find yourself with an extra feat the fauchard is downright amazing, combining the nice threat range, and giving reach and trip to boot. If you're expecting to get someone charging at you often then the halberd is another really good option. You could use both its trip at range and brace property.

Doorhandle
2011-09-23, 02:44 AM
Dopn't think a G.M would let me *brace* with somthing i'm about to *THROW*

Still a solid build though. Thank you!

Socratov
2011-09-23, 05:49 AM
Dopn't think a G.M would let me *brace* with somthing i'm about to *THROW*

Still a solid build though. Thank you!

instead advoacate it as: "I just hack of his limbs by throing a razor sharp scythe at his feet. surely he can't move anymore..." I mean, bent logic at best, but still logic :smallcool: