PDA

View Full Version : A question on elementals

Heliomance
2011-09-20, 05:24 AM
How do you attack an air elemental in whirlwind form or a mist elemental (http://locitp.mornproductions.com/MistElemental) in fog bank form? The descriptions don't say that you can't attack them normally, but the concept of hitting a whirlwind or a fog bank with a sword seems a little... odd, to me.

DonEsteban
2011-09-20, 05:34 AM
No more odd than the concept of an air elemental itself. It's a creature composed of air! The description of the whirlwind SA doesn't state that you can't attack it (in fact, it explicitly mentions AoOs), so you still can attack it. It remains a creature.

Mastikator
2011-09-20, 06:40 AM
Maybe it's really compact air, or a complex flow of air that if disrupted by a sudden attack causes harm to it.
Maybe there's a tangible but invisible soul inside the air that is actually the thing getting hurt.

Doorhandle
2011-09-22, 01:49 AM
Maybe there's a tangible but invisible soul inside the air that is actually the thing getting hurt.

Good explanation. Making it visible might not be a bad idea though: Gives it a 'face'

Sith_Happens
2011-09-24, 04:08 AM
Maybe it's really compact air, or a complex flow of air that if disrupted by a sudden attack causes harm to it.

Or maybe you're just that good at stabbing things.:belkar:

hydroplatypus
2011-09-24, 08:07 AM
I would say that due to the fact that it is alive the air elemental must be complex. As such there would probably be very complex air currents flowing through the creature, maybe in the same way blood flows in us. Hitting it with a sword might disrupt these air flows, and as such ause damage to the elemental.

Kol Korran
2011-09-25, 07:41 AM
i always envisioned elementals as being some sort of primal energy, some force, that can shape and manipulate the needed element into a form. by hitting the matter/ energy, you also may harm the force holding it together.

since the force has consciousness, it does not utterly "fit" with the surrounding conditions, even if they are similar to the element, and thus it can be perceived.

however, i would grant them a modifier to stealth checks, and perhaps even some concealment (partial or full, depending on the conditions). this mostly works with fire and water elementals. earth and fire are more conspicuous.

hope this helps,
Kol.

Okizruin
2011-09-25, 10:17 AM
i always envisioned elementals as being some sort of primal energy, some force, that can shape and manipulate the needed element into a form. by hitting the matter/ energy, you also may harm the force holding it together.

since the force has consciousness, it does not utterly "fit" with the surrounding conditions, even if they are similar to the element, and thus it can be perceived.

however, i would grant them a modifier to stealth checks, and perhaps even some concealment (partial or full, depending on the conditions). this mostly works with fire air and water elementals. earth and fire are more conspicuous.

hope this helps,
Kol.

Fixed that for you.

Kol Korran
2011-09-25, 10:21 AM
Fixed that for you.

asante sana! (thank you in Kiswahili)