PDA

View Full Version : Are you a 'Tough Mudder'

KuReshtin
2011-09-20, 10:07 AM
Since I didn't want to encroach on Pendell's thread about the 'Run for your Lives' event, I thought I'd post this one about a sort of similar wacky race, this time a global event (well, UK, USA, Canada, Japan and Australia).

It's called 'Tough Mudder' (http://toughmudder.com/).

An obstacle course of 10+ miles with several weird and wonderful obstacles, like the 'Mud Mile', the 'Berlin Walls', the 'Log Jog' , the 'Fire Walker' and the 'Electric Shock Treatment'.

The goal is not to finish first. The goal is just to finish. Period.

My team leader tried to get me to register for the event that's held near where I live next summer.

The Succubus
2011-09-20, 10:10 AM
Is this something you've dreamed up for the UK meet in February? :smallwink:

Syka
2011-09-20, 10:34 AM
I'll be honest, when I first saw a friend liking this on Facebook my first thought (and I mean, my VERY first thought) was "Oh, something to do with Firefly! Do they have to re-enact that mudders scene from Jaynestown?"

...yeah. I was actually sad when I found out what it was. >>

KuReshtin
2011-09-20, 10:37 AM
Is this something you've dreamed up for the UK meet in February? :smallwink:

It involves running. Therefore, it's something I'd NEVER dream up in my wildest nightmares. Like, EVER!

My team Leader at work actually told me about it, and she tried to get me to sign up to the event in July next year to run the course.
I was very non-committal. :smallwink:

I'll be honest, when I first saw a friend liking this on Facebook my first thought (and I mean, my VERY first thought) was "Oh, something to do with Firefly! Do they have to re-enact that mudders scene from Jaynestown?"

...yeah. I was actually sad when I found out what it was. >>
Someone else linked to it on Facebook?
I just linked it there about the same time I posted this thread, and I had never seen it before.

Erloas
2011-09-20, 12:48 PM
This was the other one I was trying to remember in the other thread. When my friend did the Warrior Dash and I brought it up someone else found this one. However the closest one was already done for the year at that point.
Warrior Dash is about the same but shorter. I would have done Warrior Dash but it was the same weekend as something else I already had planned. So next year I'll look at both of them and see what I end up doing.
If the Tough Mudder gets the time set for Salt Lake City I'll probably look at doing that one otherwise I'll look at the Colorado one.

drakir_nosslin
2011-09-20, 01:22 PM
Hmm, this looks interesting... Might go for the one on November if it isn't too late already. I'll need to check with a few friends first, but it would be fun :smallsmile:

Edit: Bah, november 2012 :smallsigh:

Icewalker
2011-09-21, 10:38 AM
I am tempted, but also I'm just not that physically capable of a runner. Like, I'm reasonably in shape, I'm fit, but I don't have that kind of endurance, I couldn't run more than a couple of miles probably without having to significantly slow or pause. Given allowances for rest or walking, which kind of defeats the purpose, I could probably complete the course, but...well, I'll need to be more capable before I try to do it properly.

Erloas
2011-09-21, 11:56 AM
I am tempted, but also I'm just not that physically capable of a runner. Like, I'm reasonably in shape, I'm fit, but I don't have that kind of endurance, I couldn't run more than a couple of miles probably without having to significantly slow or pause.

Well my friend that did the Warrior Dash, which seems essentially the same just with a slightly different theme and different people running it, said that most of the obstacles were done in a way that you couldn't just "run" through them anyway.
But yeah, 10+ miles is a long distance for anything like that, considering that for most non-dedicated runners thats at least a 2 hour run in good conditions. I know at this point I can run 10 miles (did so 3 weeks ago) but I think it would be really miserable if you spent even 1/3 of that wet and covered in mud. The Warrior Dash is a 5k I think, its at least in that range.

Tyndmyr
2011-09-21, 12:05 PM
I can do essentially any obstacle course that doesn't require either endurance running(gimp ankle kills me), or significant pull ups. I can easily do wall jump/pull myself up type things, but repeated pull ups, such as the kind where you need to flip your legs up above your head, using only a metal bar? Those are frigging brutal.

I'd totally do this for giggles if it was in the area.

THAC0
2011-09-21, 12:24 PM
hm, there's one in my area next year, but they don't have a specific date.

THAC0
2011-09-21, 01:07 PM
...man, the more I think about this the more I really want to do it. I think I'm insane.

drakir_nosslin
2011-09-21, 01:25 PM
Hehe, me too, I've already started checking with a few friends. I just need to get in better cardio shape first, I can run 8 miles, but not easily :smalltongue:

Depending on where I am then I'll either run somewhere in the UK or Australia...

Icewalker
2011-09-21, 04:35 PM
...man, the more I think about this the more I really want to do it. I think I'm insane.

Yeah but it's the FUN kind of insane!

Lateral
2011-09-22, 06:51 PM
Ah, yeah. My algebra teacher last year did this with his girlfriend, and brought back pictures.

'Course, I'm not in nearly good enough physical condition to do something like this (not to mention far too young), but it's still badass.

blackfox
2011-09-22, 10:39 PM
Got a friend who ran this. She really is a Tough Motha, quite the badass. I'd love to do an obstacle course sometime, but I'd prefer a parkour-focused course than a holycrapmud course.

drakir_nosslin
2011-09-25, 12:37 PM
Got a friend who ran this. She really is a Tough Motha, quite the badass. I'd love to do an obstacle course sometime, but I'd prefer a parkour-focused course than a holycrapmud course.

Something like this? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrxpH6_viMU#t=1m08s)

Juggling Goth
2011-09-27, 03:07 PM
My housemate and I are thinking of doing the Staffordshire Tough Guy (http://www.toughguy.co.uk/) in January. I've done a couple of triathlons, plus karate and roller derby; she's a mountaineer and outdoor pursuits leader, and does kung fu. I've offered to teach her to run.

We hope we won't die or break anything essential.

Julian84
2011-11-20, 02:08 PM
My brother and I signed up to run the DC course in May. We're currently putting together our team. :smallbiggrin:

Asta Kask
2011-11-20, 02:16 PM
We have built a wartime training assault course designed to task troops who are the best attack specimens at the forefront of every Army Special Force. Trained to believe that they can catch bullets in their teeth. That their speed of ducking and weaving as they cross every type of obstacle could equal the great Muhammad Ali in his prime.

I'd love to go up against guys like that in combat*. First time anyone fires at them they're dead.

*And by this I mean playing some simulator on-line. Athletic, I'm not.

bluewind95
2011-11-21, 02:41 AM
As a basically disabled person... I can't be a tough mudder. :smallfrown:

I wish I could participate in things like that..