PDA

View Full Version : Two-weapon Fighting Clarification (D&D 3.5E) (Resolved)

Four
2011-09-20, 01:46 PM
Through all my experience on this subject, through the varying tiers of combat I've endured, I've come, at last, to the issue of Two-weapon Fighting:

If you wield a second weapon in your off hand, you can get one extra attack per round with that weapon.

My issue, as it were, arises with the perception of a round. Through level progression, one's BAB raises; after given advancements (each six BAB provides, up to certain levels) provides another attack. Does that mean, then, that Two-Weapon Fighting merely allows one to swing once with an off-hand weapon during a six-second period, regardless of whether one's attack is standard or full?

Also, how do the Two-Weapon Fighting feats affect this? (Aside from the obvious bonuses provided of the charts on PHB 160) Some feats grant more attacks, with an off-hand, which is what alerted me to the general ambiguity of this situation.

I'd appreciate whatever assistance might be provided, though would like professional, pertinent discussion. My regards, in advance.

huttj509
2011-09-20, 02:00 PM
If you get more than one attack per round because your base attack bonus is high enough, because you fight with two weapons or a double weapon (see Two-Weapon Fighting under Special Attacks, page 160), or for some special reason (such as a feat or a magic item), you must use a full-round action to get your additional attacks.

3.5 PHB, page 143, Full Attack

Though I agree it'd be nice if the TWF section on page 160 specifically mentioned it needed a full attack action...was surprised it doesn't.

Edit:

Also, page 140, under the Multiple Attacks subsection of the Standard Action - Attack section:

A character who can make more than one attack per round must use the full attack action (see Full-Round Actions, below) in order to get more than one attack.

Yora
2011-09-20, 02:15 PM
You can always make only a single attack with a standard action. With the exception of Attacks of Opportunity (and possibly a few obscure special abilities from splatbooks), making more than a single attack alsways is a full attack action.

Four
2011-09-20, 02:44 PM
My thanks. Having glanced at that quoted material, and having taken the time to peruse that section in the PHB, I've come to the conclusion I'd hoped for.

Though I agree it'd be nice if the TWF section on page 160 specifically mentioned it needed a full attack action...was surprised it doesn't.

I, too, am surprised by the lack of mention of that fact, as well as leaving the general ambiguity sewn thus unattended.

As the issue is resolved, I shall now close the thread. Again, thank you, both, for your input. ( :

(EDIT: Asking for a moderator to close the thread to new input. Perhaps the thread should remain, though, as to, potentially, help likewise confused individuals down the road)