PDA

View Full Version : Help me with Pathfinder second in command

Analytica
2011-09-20, 02:31 PM
I am unsure of how to build (crunch but also fluff) a right hand-hench for an ancient and reclusive necromancer. Can you help me do so?

Basically, I want a Dragon (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheDragon). i.e. an emissary, infiltrator, hitman, army leader, majordomo, bodyguard and overall intimidator. Out of these, bodyguard functionality is probably most important.

While the master is a necromancer, I don't really see the hench as being undead. Some degree of charisma and skills are a plus as well. I've considered the classic black knight approach and like it, but Pathfinder antipaladins have a code of conduct which makes them almost as problematic as paladins (fall by failing to commit evil acts?). Several other classes (rogue, ranger, bard, gunslinger, magus...) all seem to have potential, but I am uncertain of how to best tap it.

This should use Paizo Pathfinder materials only. The character should be somewhere around 16th to 18th level, and preferably be "elegant" in build, so avoiding taking too many different classes or prestige classes. If you have an idea, I would be happy to hear it.

NamelessNPC
2011-09-21, 12:42 AM
a Hellknight? It's more of a grey knight and its class features are weak, but just look at the picture in the SRD, man

Analytica
2011-09-21, 07:35 AM
a Hellknight? It's more of a grey knight and its class features are weak, but just look at the picture in the SRD, man

This would be perfect, except the character's master has been written as a dedicated enemy of the Hellknights. Maybe a Cavalier? They seem a little underwhelming, though.

Ceaon
2011-09-21, 09:29 AM
The necromancer being an enemy of the Hellknights could make a Hellknight dragon even more interesting. Just have him stop raising levels in Hellknight after a certain point, which was the point he left the Hellknights to join the necromancer. An ex-Hellknight who still holds the trust of his Hellknight-hating master? Cool stuff right?

Analytica
2011-09-21, 05:46 PM
The necromancer being an enemy of the Hellknights could make a Hellknight dragon even more interesting. Just have him stop raising levels in Hellknight after a certain point, which was the point he left the Hellknights to join the necromancer. An ex-Hellknight who still holds the trust of his Hellknight-hating master? Cool stuff right?

You make a convincing point... what is a good base class to enter Hellknight, then?

Ceaon
2011-09-22, 05:04 AM
Gunslinger could be fun, fighter should work, cavalier may be a fun concept (especially if he first faces the party unmounted and later while mounted on a griffon or somesuch...).

But frankly, you'd be better of waiting for someone else's reply, I'm not realy all that well-versed in Pathfinder base classes.

stack
2011-09-22, 08:38 AM
Magus could do it with style. Have an evil black blade magus, maybe a backstory of the sword taking over his mind, etc. Possibly have the sword have been created by the necromancer for the purposes of dominating a powerful but weak willed warrior and corrupting him?

(straight magus, not into hellknight, that would be bad)

Bloodgruve
2011-09-22, 09:26 AM
I would run a cleric who can easily work with all the undead that the necromancer is throwing out. High Cha+ and Leadership for a cohort of its own, barbarian, fighter or inquisitor.

Alchemist could be fun too ;)

GL
Blood~