PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon Suggestions?

MesiDoomstalker
2011-09-20, 02:53 PM
I've decided to restart my Pokemon Black or White (haven't decided which yet) and I like to plan my parties out ahead of time. Otherwise, my team ends up being the first 5 pokemon I am able to successfully capture. So, does anybody have any suggestions? I'm not looking for metagame suggestions or anything post game. I have access to multiple DS's and obtain just about any pokemon but I'd like to avoid legendaries. Using them feels like I'm cheating. The plan would be to gather a male and a female of the 6 chosen and breed them as soon as possible.

Doesn't have to be BW exclusive pokemon, any generation will do. Cross generation teams seem more appealing. So, again, any suggestions?

EDIT: I've decided to do a grass run through, emulating Erica and Vileplume. I want at least 4 grass types, so no more than 2 non-grass types. Right now I have:

{table=head]Pokemon|Ability|Move 1|Move 2|Move 3|Move 4
Vileplume|Chlorophyll|Solarbeam|Sleep Powder|Moonlight|Sunny Day
Torterra|Overgrowth|Earthquake|Woodhammer|Substitu te|Synthesis
Breloom|Effect Spore|Mach Punch|Seed Bomb|Stone Edge|Sky Uppercut
Ferrothorn|Iron Barbs|Gyro Ball|Power Whip|Thunderwave|Shadow Claw
Snorlax|Thick Fat|Return|Substitute|Rest|Stone Edge
Magmortar|Flame Body|Sunny Day|Flamethrower|Solarbeam|Thunderbolt
[/table]

Snorlax will have Stone Edge to cover Ice and Flying types. Torterra can cover Fire types. Breloom can hit Ice types hard too. Any weakness I'm missing? Note: I make use of HM slaves so I didn't put any consideration into that when designing this.

Vileplume and Magmortar will have Dry Rocks (or whatever the item is to lengthen sunshine), either (or both) Snorlax and Ferrothorn will have Leftovers. NOt sure what Breloom and Torterra would hold. Kinda stumped on that.

dgnslyr
2011-09-20, 08:33 PM
Excadrill is the best Black/White pokemon ever no argument because it's a drill-mole. Shout Gurren Lagann catchphrases at every opportunity. Even if nobody's listening. Especially if nobody's listening.

I don't actually know much about 5th gen, having not played it myself, but best of luck with this next playthrough. :smallredface:

MesiDoomstalker
2011-09-20, 09:53 PM
Excadrill is the best Black/White pokemon ever no argument because it's a drill-mole. Shout Gurren Lagann catchphrases at every opportunity. Even if nobody's listening. Especially if nobody's listening.

I don't actually know much about 5th gen, having not played it myself, but best of luck with this next playthrough. :smallredface:

I LOVE my Squirrel! That's what I named my Exacadrill in my first play through. I love her so much but using the same non-starter twice in a row just doesn't seem right. Variety is the spice of life and all.

billtodamax
2011-09-21, 05:41 AM
ALL NORMAL POKEMON CHALLENGE GO GO GO!

Slakoth/Vigoroth/Slaking. (Kicks ass)

Zigzagoon/Linoone (Belly drum is hax when you can use healing items)

Munchlax/Snorlax (Sort of ludicrous)

Girafarig (For some sort of type diversity)

Stantler (I just like Stantler)

Aipom/Ambipom (It's a monkey! :D)

ShinyRocks
2011-09-21, 07:16 AM
I support the idea of an all-Normal run. I love a lot of the Normals (or dual-type Normals).

But I'd go for a (Scrappy) Kangaskhan in there. Though it sucks that GenV has taken away the ability to Tutor the elemental punches.

And a (Sheer Force) Braviary. STAB Sheer Force Crush Claw is pretty brutal.

Of course, you couldn't necessarily get those from the very beginning.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-09-21, 10:57 AM
ALL NORMAL POKEMON CHALLENGE GO GO GO!

Slakoth/Vigoroth/Slaking. (Kicks ass)

Zigzagoon/Linoone (Belly drum is hax when you can use healing items)

Munchlax/Snorlax (Sort of ludicrous)

Girafarig (For some sort of type diversity)

Stantler (I just like Stantler)

Aipom/Ambipom (It's a monkey! :D)

I check your Stantler and raise you a Sawsbuck (http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/586.shtml)!

I support the idea of an all-Normal run. I love a lot of the Normals (or dual-type Normals).

But I'd go for a (Scrappy) Kangaskhan in there. Though it sucks that GenV has taken away the ability to Tutor the elemental punches.

And a (Sheer Force) Braviary. STAB Sheer Force Crush Claw is pretty brutal.

Of course, you couldn't necessarily get those from the very beginning.

Braviary was one that I wanted on my original team but he wasn't obtainable till late and I hate that. But, thats what breeding is for! :smallbiggrin:

Mando Knight
2011-09-21, 11:02 AM
Go with... Deino, Rufflet, Vullaby, Pawniard, and Larvesta. No power leveling.

ShinyRocks
2011-09-21, 11:14 AM
Braviary was one that I wanted on my original team but he wasn't obtainable till late and I hate that. But, thats what breeding is for! :smallbiggrin:

I also am too lazy to not have a Pokey Man with Fly at all times.

DiscipleofBob
2011-09-21, 12:21 PM
If you want BW Pokemon made of pure awesome, I suggest Krookodile, Eelektross, and Mienshao. All absolute beasts. Supposedly Ferrorthorn is extremely popular in the competitve scene, but I haven't had the opportunity to use one yet.

But if you're more looking for novelty...

There's always the traditional Nuzlocke runs (where you can only catch the first thing you find in each area and if your Pokemon faint they're boxed forever), a Monotype run, or a combination of the two.

If that's not up your alley, you could do a normal run only start with a low-level Victini and/or Zorua, just to have more fun with the event exclusives.

I actually wrote up a variant set of rules for the Nuzlocke forums where the concept is you play as a Gym Leader (or Elite Four member or really any trainer class): You start with as low-level, pre-evolved form you can get for the Gym Leader's main Pokemon (Onix for Brock, Staryu for Misty, etc.) You must have that Pokemon be the strongest in your team by the Elite Four. At least half of your team has to be of the type your Gym's associated with.

Mando Knight
2011-09-21, 12:34 PM
Supposedly Ferrorthorn is extremely popular in the competitve scene, but I haven't had the opportunity to use one yet.
Ferrothorn is a ridiculous tank, having enormous defensive stats, two powerful STAB moves, Leech Seed, and an ability that causes attackers to lose 1/8 of their health every time they come into contact with it... which includes nearly all of the moves from one of its two weaknesses. It's tough and generally hard to crack without Fire Blast.

Geno9999
2011-09-21, 12:48 PM
Ferrothorn is a ridiculous tank, having enormous defensive stats, two powerful STAB moves, Leech Seed, and an ability that causes attackers to lose 1/8 of their health every time they come into contact with it... which includes nearly all of the moves from one of its two weaknesses. It's tough and generally hard to crack without Fire Blast.

Additionally, you can breed it Stealth Rock and Spikes on to it which make it pain for Fire types without spin support, and it's almost the perfect Rain-team counter (which have gotten more popular with Drizzletoad) since the reduction to Fire's power covers it's weakness and few Rain teams carry a fire move in the first place.

Mando Knight
2011-09-21, 01:10 PM
Additionally, you can breed it Stealth Rock and Spikes on to it which make it pain for Fire types without spin support

I didn't say Fire-types, I said Fire Blast. As in, 120 base power fiery death often carried by Salamence for just this kind of purpose. Or Hydreigon unless it wants the accuracy of Flamethrower. Dragonite generally thinks it ought to punch things with the fire instead, unless its geared up to rock you with a hurricane.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-09-21, 01:58 PM
Go with... Deino, Rufflet, Vullaby, Pawniard, and Larvesta. No power leveling.

You just want me to fail don't you? :smallannoyed:

If you want BW Pokemon made of pure awesome, I suggest Krookodile, Eelektross, and Mienshao. All absolute beasts. Supposedly Ferrorthorn is extremely popular in the competitve scene, but I haven't had the opportunity to use one yet.

But if you're more looking for novelty...

There's always the traditional Nuzlocke runs (where you can only catch the first thing you find in each area and if your Pokemon faint they're boxed forever), a Monotype run, or a combination of the two.

If that's not up your alley, you could do a normal run only start with a low-level Victini and/or Zorua, just to have more fun with the event exclusives.

I actually wrote up a variant set of rules for the Nuzlocke forums where the concept is you play as a Gym Leader (or Elite Four member or really any trainer class): You start with as low-level, pre-evolved form you can get for the Gym Leader's main Pokemon (Onix for Brock, Staryu for Misty, etc.) You must have that Pokemon be the strongest in your team by the Elite Four. At least half of your team has to be of the type your Gym's associated with.

I like the Gym Leader/Elite Four idea. Incidentally, I tried doing Nuzlocke on my first run through. Died at 2nd gym. Restarted twice and finally gave up. I'm burned out on Nuzlocke challenge for the moment. I think I'll wai till the 3rd game comes out.

Any suggestions on which Gym Leader/Elite Four I should emulate?

deuxhero
2011-09-21, 02:03 PM
Galvantula is badass.

Mando Knight
2011-09-21, 02:12 PM
You just want me to fail don't you? :smallannoyed:
Maaaybe...

Or maybe I just want you to think about strategy. Who knows?

Knaight
2011-09-21, 02:15 PM
I like the Gym Leader/Elite Four idea. Incidentally, I tried doing Nuzlocke on my first run through. Died at 2nd gym. Restarted twice and finally gave up. I'm burned out on Nuzlocke challenge for the moment. I think I'll wai till the 3rd game comes out.

Any suggestions on which Gym Leader/Elite Four I should emulate?

Sabrina, from the 1st generation games. Abra is the second coolest looking pokemon (after Sandslash) in the generation, there are decent Psychic mixes with other types, from water to fighting, and psychic nicely compliments normal moves.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-09-21, 02:18 PM
Maaaybe...

Or maybe I just want you to think about strategy. Who knows?

If I spend as much time on a play through team as a competitive team, I'm playing the game wrong.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-09-21, 02:40 PM
I'm thinking Grass or Steel cause I really want to use Ferrothorn. So we have Erica and Gardenia for grass types. And we have Jasmine, Steven, and Byron for steel types.

Erica: Vileplume/Bellesoom/Jumpluff (never was sure after GSC/HGSS)

Gardenia: Roserade-fun concept but I'd have to keep it as a Roselia for quite a while to get good moves.

Jasmine: Steelix-the classic Steel type. Big, brawny. Like I said, classic.

Steven: Metagross-Now this is what I'm talking about. Metagross is epic! But he evloves late...so ya.....:smallannoyed:

Byron: Bastiodon-see above. But with like no offence.

Any other suggestions for Leader/Elite 4 member?

DiscipleofBob
2011-09-21, 03:35 PM
Can you even get non-Unova Pokemon on a BW run before the Elite Four without hacking them and the National Dex in?

Or is it like in FRLG where Pokemon with more evolutions in later gens wouldn't evolve until you got the National Dex?

If so, if you played any gym leader from Gens 1 through 4 on BW, you'd have to settle for Pokemon they've never used for. Brock gets Roggenrola instead of Geodude, etc.

I say if you have a favorite just pick your favorite gym leader and go from there. Otherwise, pick Steven and start with Beldum (failing that due to gen restrictions, Klink) so you can eventually have a Steven VS Cynthia battle at the end.

Personally, I was going to do a comic for the Nuzlocke forums with the gym leader clause just so I could call it "BrockTales" (woo-hoo)

MesiDoomstalker
2011-09-21, 03:43 PM
Can you even get non-Unova Pokemon on a BW run before the Elite Four without hacking them and the National Dex in?

Or is it like in FRLG where Pokemon with more evolutions in later gens wouldn't evolve until you got the National Dex?

If so, if you played any gym leader from Gens 1 through 4 on BW, you'd have to settle for Pokemon they've never used for. Brock gets Roggenrola instead of Geodude, etc.

I say if you have a favorite just pick your favorite gym leader and go from there. Otherwise, pick Steven and start with Beldum (failing that due to gen restrictions, Klink) so you can eventually have a Steven VS Cynthia battle at the end.

Personally, I was going to do a comic for the Nuzlocke forums with the gym leader clause just so I could call it "BrockTales" (woo-hoo)

I believe it is like 4th gen where I can trade between two 5 gen games with impunity. But without a National Dex I can't nab pokemon (direclty) from older games. So any gen pokemon are fair game.

DiscipleofBob
2011-09-21, 03:53 PM
I believe it is like 4th gen where I can trade between two 5 gen games with impunity. But without a National Dex I can't nab pokemon (direclty) from older games. So any gen pokemon are fair game.

If so, will they evolve?

I know in FRLG Pokemon like Golbat, Chansey, and Eevee wouldn't evolve into their non-gen 1 evolutions even though all you need to evolve them is happiness.

I've actually seen one run where the person hacked in a Gulpin as a starter (for some reason), but said Gulpin wouldn't evolve until she got the National Dex, so she ended up beating the Elite Four with a Gulpin as one of her mains.

flabort
2011-09-21, 03:55 PM
NINCADA!!!
Oh, right. No non-5th gen.
Damn, and you can't even get nincada through the dream world, I don't think.

Rogenrolla! (and it's evolves)

MesiDoomstalker
2011-09-21, 03:59 PM
If so, will they evolve?

I know in FRLG Pokemon like Golbat, Chansey, and Eevee wouldn't evolve into their non-gen 1 evolutions even though all you need to evolve them is happiness.

I've actually seen one run where the person hacked in a Gulpin as a starter (for some reason), but said Gulpin wouldn't evolve until she got the National Dex, so she ended up beating the Elite Four with a Gulpin as one of her mains.

Your talking about 3rd geneartion. I'm talking about personal expierence with 4th generation. Unlike 3rd gen recreation of 1st gen, I won't have old pokemon with new evolutions, I'll have old pokemon with old evolutions. FRLG was a "pure" recreation that wouldn't let you do anything not possible in 1st gen (besides new moves/move lists). I know for a fact that both 4th gen and 5th gen don't prohibit trading, training, or evolving of "non-native" pokemon. Several of my friends, for their first play throughs, had an all starter team without duplicates.

With the hacked Gulpin, well I don't know exactly. It was probably intentional but I don't know.

NINCADA!!!
Oh, right. No non-5th gen.
Damn, and you can't even get nincada through the dream world, I don't think.

Rogenrolla! (and it's evolves)

Why? When did I say this? :smallconfused: This is what I want actually. A mostly "non-native" team honestly.

DiscipleofBob
2011-09-21, 04:02 PM
Your talking about 3rd geneartion. I'm talking about personal expierence with 4th generation. Unlike 3rd gen recreation of 1st gen, I won't have old pokemon with new evolutions, I'll have old pokemon with old evolutions. FRLG was a "pure" recreation that wouldn't let you do anything not possible in 1st gen (besides new moves/move lists). I know for a fact that both 4th gen and 5th gen don't prohibit trading, training, or evolving of "non-native" pokemon. Several of my friends, for their first play throughs, had an all starter team without duplicates.

With the hacked Gulpin, well I don't know exactly. It was probably intentional but I don't know.

Fair enough. In that case, it probably was just a feature/bug of FRLG.

In that case, start with a Beldum, but remember to make it so that the Striation's gym leader is Chili. :smallamused:

deuxhero
2011-09-21, 04:09 PM
Remember you can't trade till you beat the first gym.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-09-21, 04:15 PM

In that case, start with a Beldum, but remember to make it so that the Striation's gym leader is Chili. :smallamused:

But but but but but it doesn't finish evolving till near/at/after the Elite 4! :smalleek:

Remember you can't trade till you beat the first gym.

Eh, I can live with that. That takes, like, 15 minutes if I cheat and choose the right monkey. I usually trade over a few of the good held items when I restart anyways. I'll have 3 lucky eggs, and 3 EXP Shares eventually.

Mando Knight
2011-09-21, 05:13 PM

It was a "feature" that they decided not to include in any of the other games.

DiscipleofBob
2011-09-21, 07:39 PM
But but but but but it doesn't finish evolving till near/at/after the Elite 4! :smalleek:

Eh, I can live with that. That takes, like, 15 minutes if I cheat and choose the right monkey. I usually trade over a few of the good held items when I restart anyways. I'll have 3 lucky eggs, and 3 EXP Shares eventually.

Actually the evolving levels are about on par with the rest of Gen 5. Hell, Deino evolves first at 50 and then to Hydreigon at 64.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-09-21, 09:54 PM
Actually the evolving levels are about on par with the rest of Gen 5. Hell, Deino evolves first at 50 and then to Hydreigon at 64.

Relative to other powerful pokemon, sure. Thats all well and good. But I'm talking about relative to the game and its difficulty. In my last play through, I beefed all my pokemon up to 55 before the elite four and trashed them. So my starter hits full stride at *drum roll* the final battle(s). Thats rather annoying, IMHO.

DiscipleofBob
2011-09-22, 08:56 AM
Relative to other powerful pokemon, sure. Thats all well and good. But I'm talking about relative to the game and its difficulty. In my last play through, I beefed all my pokemon up to 55 before the elite four and trashed them. So my starter hits full stride at *drum roll* the final battle(s). Thats rather annoying, IMHO.

Even better, you might be able to get him to evolve right before the final battle for dramatic effect. :smalltongue:

But if you did at least mostly Steel types, you'd get Metagross, and then assuming you didn't import anyone else over, you could also get Klinklang, Ferrothorn, Bisharp, Durant, Escavalier (if you don't mind using the trade evo), and Cobalion to work with.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-09-22, 10:45 AM
Even better, you might be able to get him to evolve right before the final battle for dramatic effect. :smalltongue:

But if you did at least mostly Steel types, you'd get Metagross, and then assuming you didn't import anyone else over, you could also get Klinklang, Ferrothorn, Bisharp, Durant, Escavalier (if you don't mind using the trade evo), and Cobalion to work with.

If my play through was an anime, sure. But its not. I have a huge issue with "late bloomer" pokemon in play throughs. As is, any pokemon that evovles past 50 (even then, thats a stretch) or isn't obtainable to late. I wouldn't mind importing other steels. I always liked Aggron. But I'm leaning towards grass. It's a type I rarily use.

Dublock
2011-09-22, 10:47 AM
I would totally use either Steelix or Magnezone if you were going for steel play through for a gen 2 nod. Random thought of mine.

Mando Knight
2011-09-22, 11:14 AM
I would totally use either Steelix or Magnezone if you were going for steel play through for a gen 2 nod. Random thought of mine.

Note: you can get Magnezone in BW by means other than importing from Sinnoh. Just level up a Magneton in Chargestone Cave. Since you'll be around level 30 anyway, that means that you could have a Magneton for all of one level.

DiscipleofBob
2011-09-22, 11:16 AM
There's definitely plenty of cool Grass types to work with. Heck, you could even save yourself some trouble, start with Snivy and do a monotype Grass run.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-09-22, 02:47 PM
I've decided to do a grass run through, emulating Erica and Vileplume. I want at least 4 grass types, so no more than 2 non-grass types. Right now I have:

Oddish/Vileplume
Turtwig/Torterra
Shroomish/Breloom
Munchlax/Snorlax
Ferroseed/Ferrothorn

Snorlax will have Rock Slide or Stone Edge to cover Ice and Flying types. Torterra can cover Fire types. Breloom can hit Ice types hard too. Any weakness I'm missing? So I have 1 open spot. I'm not sure what to fill in the last slot. Note: I make use of HM slaves so I didn't put any consideration into that when designing this. Any suggestions for a 6th pokemon or moves? I'd like to avoid breeding only moves as they are a hassale.

DiscipleofBob
2011-09-22, 03:17 PM
I'm going to ask the obvious question here:

Snorlax in a Grass-type run? :smallconfused: If you're going to have a non-Grass type in this, it has to be Sudowoodo. You know why. :smallbiggrin:

As for other Grass types, throw a Ludicolo in there if you want a Surfer, though be careful as Rain Dancing moves can conflict with SunnySolar strategies. Still, takes care of those Fire-types for you. Unfortunately, it only gets Leech Seed through breeding.

Sceptile is another speedy, powerful Grass-type with a large moveset to work with.

Off the top of my head, Cradily or Tropius would be good against the Bug-types which you don't seem to have directly covered.

If you want to go really crazy, throw a Shaymin or a Celebi in there later.

I've never used him personally, but instead of Breloom you could capture Virizion.

flabort
2011-09-22, 03:28 PM
Bibarel. Or however it's spelled.

Makes the perfect HM slave, since it can learn Strength, Surf, Waterfall, and... two more, hold on, looking them up again... Dive + cut.
You'd still need a pokemon with fly, to fill out the Six.

Or, Tropius+Panpour. The monkey working well with the mobile banana tree seems funny.
This list (http://pokemondb.net/black-white/hms) can tell you every good HM slave, unfortunately most of the best ones are legendary.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-09-22, 03:29 PM
I'm going to ask the obvious question here:

Snorlax in a Grass-type run? :smallconfused: If you're going to have a non-Grass type in this, it has to be Sudowoodo. You know why. :smallbiggrin:

As for other Grass types, throw a Ludicolo in there if you want a Surfer, though be careful as Rain Dancing moves can conflict with SunnySolar strategies. Still, takes care of those Fire-types for you. Unfortunately, it only gets Leech Seed through breeding.

Sceptile is another speedy, powerful Grass-type with a large moveset to work with.

Off the top of my head, Cradily or Tropius would be good against the Bug-types which you don't seem to have directly covered.

If you want to go really crazy, throw a Shaymin or a Celebi in there later.

I've never used him personally, but instead of Breloom you could capture Virizion.

I always liked Snorlax just never got around to using one. So I am now. And I like Sudowoodo but I think that be a bit too cliche. I usually avoid wheather except things like Hippondon. I thought about Ludicolo but didn't think of anything besides surf that would be useful. I didn't realize I didn't have a pure Grass type until you noted Sceptile. I forgot about Bugs but Snorlax got that covered too. I was actually hoping for a non-grass type to fill in the last slot, but I'll keep Ludicolo and Sceptile in mind. Also, I mentioned no Legendaries.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-09-22, 03:34 PM
Bibarel. Or however it's spelled.

Makes the perfect HM slave, since it can learn Strength, Surf, Waterfall, and... two more, hold on, looking them up again... Dive + cut.
You'd still need a pokemon with fly, to fill out the Six.

Or, Tropius+Panpour. The monkey working well with the mobile banana tree seems funny.
This list (http://pokemondb.net/black-white/hms) can tell you every good HM slave, unfortunately most of the best ones are legendary.

I always uses Bibarel as an HM slave since '07. He's awesome!

MesiDoomstalker
2011-09-22, 04:15 PM
Ok this is what I have for setup and move sets for the moment.

Torterra|Overgrowth|Earthquake|Woodhammer|Substitu te|Synthesis
Breloom|Effect Spore|Mach Punch|Seed Bomb|Stone Edge|Sky Uppercut
Ferrothorn|Iron Barbs|Gyro Ball|Power Whip|Thunderwave|Shadow Claw
Snorlax|Thick Fat|Return|Substitute|Rest|Stone Edge
Magmortar|Flame Body|Sunny Day|Flamethrower|Solarbeam|Thunderbolt
[/table]

Ok so I know I said I'm avoiding weather but Grass-types just beg for it. So I caved. I'm thinking of including a Fire type with Sunny Day to get another use of the weather and to cover other grass and ice types as well. Any good suggestions? I'm missing special attacks so a special fire type would be better. I'm thinking magmortar.

DiscipleofBob
2011-09-22, 04:24 PM
Ok this is what I have for setup and move sets for the moment.

Torterra|Overgrowth|Earthquake|Woodhammer|Substitu te|Leech Seed
Breloom|Effect Spore or Posion Heal?|Mach Punch|Seed Bomb|Thunderpunch|???
Ferrothorn|Iron Barbs|Gyro Ball|Power Whip|Thunderwave|???
Snorlax|Immunity or Thick Fat?|Return|Substitute|Crunch|???
???|???|???|???|???|???
[/table]

Ok so I know I said I'm avoiding weather but Grass-types just beg for it. So I caved. I'm thinking of including a Fire type with Sunny Day to get another use of the weather and to cover other grass and ice types as well. Any good suggestions? I'm missing special attacks so a special fire type would be better. I'm thinking magmortar.

I'm biased towards Charizard who can be physical-specced or special-specced. Special spec works really well with Sunny Day, Flamethrower, Solar Beam, and then final move is your choice. Dragon Pulse or Air Slash to keep it special-specced, or Earthquake/Rock Slide for a physical move but more type coverage.

I'd give Snorlax Thick Fat and Rest. Breloom should definitely have Effect Spore.

Whoever you choose for your 6th, I'd suggest someone who can use Sunny Day besides Vileplume.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-09-22, 04:29 PM
I'm biased towards Charizard who can be physical-specced or special-specced. Special spec works really well with Sunny Day, Flamethrower, Solar Beam, and then final move is your choice. Dragon Pulse or Air Slash to keep it special-specced, or Earthquake/Rock Slide for a physical move but more type coverage.

I'd give Snorlax Thick Fat and Rest. Breloom should definitely have Effect Spore.

Whoever you choose for your 6th, I'd suggest someone who can use Sunny Day besides Vileplume.

Check the table again, I made some alterations. I'm weird and have this thing about using popular pokemon. I don't use them. Just to be a "rebel" which is admittedly stupid honestly. Though why would I use rest without Sleep Talk?

DiscipleofBob
2011-09-22, 04:36 PM
Check the table again, I made some alterations. I'm weird and have this thing about using popular pokemon. I don't use them. Just to be a "rebel" which is admittedly stupid honestly. Though why would I use rest without Sleep Talk?

I don't remember Charizard being popular for awhile now.

Um... Free full heal plus heal your status effects? Sleep Talk makes it better, but Rest is still good on its own, especially on a wall like Snorlax. It would make Immunity redundant either way.

((checks the table))

Looks good, but a team of Grass types and no one is using the greatest Grass move ever: Leech Seed? Kind of disappointing. Oh well, your team. :smalltongue:

You can always make room for a few alternates as the situation warrants too.

Prime32
2011-09-22, 04:46 PM
If you want to do things properly, Erika's used the following Pokémon :smalltongue:

Bellossom
Blissey
Clefable
Dewgong
Exeggutor
Jumpluff
Marowak
Ninetales (gets Drought!)
Shiftry
Roserade
Tangrowth
Vaporeon
Venusaur
Vileplume
Victreebel

MesiDoomstalker
2011-09-22, 04:51 PM

Um... Free full heal plus heal your status effects? Sleep Talk makes it better, but Rest is still good on its own, especially on a wall like Snorlax. It would make Immunity redundant either way.

((checks the table))

Looks good, but a team of Grass types and no one is using the greatest Grass move ever: Leech Seed? Kind of disappointing. Oh well, your team. :smalltongue:

You can always make room for a few alternates as the situation warrants too.

Initially, almost all of them had it. But then I realized the only ones that could really use it were the bulky ones who also had a healing move that could be boosted by sunlight which is more preferable. Also, I this setup is always up for change, except irreplacables like egg moves. So it will be fluid and I can alter it to fix weaknesses I notice in practice.

If you want to do things properly, Erika's used the following Pokémon :smalltongue:

Bellossom
Blissey
Clefable
Dewgong
Exeggutor
Jumpluff
Marowak
Ninetales
Shiftry
Roserade
Tangrowth
Vaporeon
Venusaur
Vileplume
Victreebel

Emulate=/=copy. Beyond that, why does she use water, fire, and normal types? :smallconfused:

Prime32
2011-09-22, 04:52 PM
Emulate=/=copy. Beyond that, why does she use water, fire, and normal types? :smallconfused:That's mostly in the Stadium games, where Gym Leaders tend to have more balanced teams (especially in round 2).

And Erika is supposed to pick her Pokémon for elegance. A spiky metal ball, a flaming duck with cannons for arms, and Snorlax aren't particularly elegant. :smalltongue:

billtodamax
2011-09-22, 04:54 PM
Leech Seed is excellent, and you can stick it on anything.

Mando Knight
2011-09-22, 04:55 PM

Charizard is always popular, just not with the people who play competitively.

Look at it.
http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/7/7e/006Charizard.png/230px-006Charizard.png

In coolness, it beats out even Freaking Godzilla (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Feraligatr), Steel Penguin Emperor (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Empoleon), Continent Turtle (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Torterra), Flaming Beard Boar (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Emboar_%28Pok%C3%A9mon%29), and Sword-Armored Samurai (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Samurott).

Knaight
2011-09-22, 05:11 PM
http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/b/ba/123Scyther.png/180px-123Scyther.png
http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/0/0b/028Sandslash.png/200px-028Sandslash.png
http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/4/41/130Gyarados.png/180px-130Gyarados.png
http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/9/93/148Dragonair.png/210px-148Dragonair.png
http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/a/ab/131Lapras.png/200px-131Lapras.png
I'm sorry. I can't see Charizard's awesomeness over that of the pictures above.

Prime32
2011-09-22, 05:16 PM
*snip*
I'm sorry. I can't see Charizard's awesomeness over that of the pictures above.What if it was blue, its neck was longer and its claws were absurdly large? :smalltongue:

MesiDoomstalker
2011-09-22, 05:20 PM
That's mostly in the Stadium games, where Gym Leaders tend to have more balanced teams (especially in round 2).

And Erika is supposed to pick her Pokémon for elegance. A spiky metal ball, a flaming duck with cannons for arms, and Snorlax aren't particularly elegant. :smalltongue:

I'd like to point out Magmortar doesn't have 4 arms, that Machamp. And I'm not going to roleplay Erica, that'd just be creepy.

Charizard is always popular, just not with the people who play competitively.

Look at it.
http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/7/7e/006Charizard.png/230px-006Charizard.png

In coolness, it beats out even Freaking Godzilla (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Feraligatr), Steel Penguin Emperor (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Empoleon), Continent Turtle (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Torterra), Flaming Beard Boar (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Emboar_%28Pok%C3%A9mon%29), and Sword-Armored Samurai (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Samurott).

Ya, that's what I'm talking about.

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/b/ba/123Scyther.png/180px-123Scyther.png
http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/0/0b/028Sandslash.png/200px-028Sandslash.png
http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/4/41/130Gyarados.png/180px-130Gyarados.png
http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/9/93/148Dragonair.png/210px-148Dragonair.png
http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/a/ab/131Lapras.png/200px-131Lapras.png

I'm rather amused that you didn't use some of the better art for those to counter the amittedly bland art presented earlier.

Mando Knight
2011-09-22, 05:21 PM
http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/a/a1/Spr_4h_006.png

Really?

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/e/e6/Spr_5b_006_s.png

DiscipleofBob
2011-09-22, 05:21 PM

That's okay. You just aren't looking hard enough. :smalltongue:

Prime32
2011-09-22, 06:33 PM
I'd like to point out Magmortar doesn't have 4 arms, that Machamp. And I'm not going to roleplay Erica, that'd just be creepy.Where did I say 4 arms? :smallconfused: And my point was that Erika's "elegance!" is all that distinguishes her from other Grass gym leaders.

It would be interesting to see an LP done from the perspective of another region's Gym Leader though...

MesiDoomstalker
2011-09-22, 06:44 PM
Where did I say 4 arms? :smallconfused: And my point was that Erika's "elegance!" is all that distinguishes her from other Grass gym leaders.

It would be interesting to see an LP done from the perspective of another region's Gym Leader though...

I....just fail at reading is all.

flabort
2011-09-22, 06:50 PM
What if it was blue, its neck was longer and its claws were absurdly large? :smalltongue:

You know, one of the things that always upset me with the pokemon games was that while you could breed pokemon, you couldn't crossbreed pokemon. It was always a duplicate of the mother (+some of father's moves), unless ditto was involved.
I've always wanted to crossbreed and/or splice pokemon to get awesome looking new pokemon, ever since I first heard of it (which I think may have been around Gen 2? I dunno, I never really paid attention to things like that).
I mean, can you immagine the AWESOME of something that looked half-ways between Garados (I know that's the wrong spelling, too lazy to look it up), and Feraligator? Or Raichu + Charizard?
Weezing + any fire or electric type (Rotom, maybe)?

What, I can't be the only one thinking that that last one would only ever learn self-destruct?

Prime32
2011-09-22, 06:59 PM
Venustoise (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Venustoise)
Zapmolcuno (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Zapmolcuno_%28Pok%C3%A9mon%29)
Phione (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Phione)
I also seem to recall an "Alakabutops".

MesiDoomstalker
2011-09-22, 07:01 PM
Ok, I'm already to transfer but at the moment I don't have a magmarizer in 5th gen and I can't trasnfer one from 4th. And the only way to get a magmarizer is talking to this guy everyday, getting a random item of like 20, till I get one. Should I A). wait it out till either my Black or my White nabs one? B). Go ahead and restart and not worry about it till I actually have a magmar but still use the other to try to find one? or C). Use something else besides Magmortar?

Mando Knight
2011-09-22, 07:32 PM
If you absolutely cannot find a Magmarizer, I have four. I might let you use one.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-09-22, 07:37 PM
If you absolutely cannot find a Magmarizer, I have four. I might let you use one.

My internet won't let me connect my 3DS. :smallmad:

EDIT: Nevermind, it decided it will work this time.

Knaight
2011-09-22, 10:56 PM
What if it was blue, its neck was longer and its claws were absurdly large? :smalltongue:

Admittedly, those may have been common traits in the things posted. So, I cite these instead:
http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/5/57/018Pidgeot.png/165px-018Pidgeot.png
http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/6/62/093Haunter.png/170px-093Haunter.png
And no, Haunter's claws are not unreasonably large.

Mando Knight
2011-09-22, 11:04 PM
But do they take Steel Wing like a boss?
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/6/6b/AG136.png