PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding race substituation levels

umbergod
2011-09-20, 06:06 PM
and alternate class features. I am about to begin in a campaign this weekend, and since I am likely to be the only experienced gamer beyond the DM, I am looking to play w/e the party needs. In this case, I am working on a caster, a kobold sorcerer specifically. Not looking to be 100% optimized or anything game breaking. Just wondering how the Dragonblood sorcerer levels interact with the Battle Sorcerer from UA. Anyone with more knowledge/experience than I would be greatly appreciated :)

deuxhero
2011-09-20, 06:13 PM
Do you lose the same class features?

If yes, they can't be used at the same time
If no, they can.

Exception is Sneak Attack Fighter and Thug from UA, as while they lose the same bonus feat, they explicitly can be combined anyways.

Keld Denar
2011-09-20, 06:15 PM
The easiest way to look at things is to figure out what you trade away. You can't trade something away twice, IE if you trade your familiar away for X, you can't also get Y which requires you to trade your familiar away.

IIRC, Dragonblooded Sorcerer trades your familiar away for the Dragonblooded subtype (something a kobold sorc wouldn't need, since kobolds already have the Dragonblooded subtype). Battle Sorc doesn't touch your familiar, and instead messes with your spells known, spells/day, HD, BAB, and proficiencies. Thus, there shouldn't be any problem with the two of them combining.

Raendyn
2011-09-20, 06:16 PM
They can both be taken normaly.

You apply both their pros & cons.

RAW you Sorc will loose 1 BAB both at 4th & 7th lvls. but depending on the party powerlvl you can talk the DM into bypassing this.

umbergod
2011-09-20, 06:17 PM
dragonblood sorc axes the familiar for draconic heritage. I think this is gonna be the route I go. DB sorc at first level for the free feat, then battle sorc from there

edit: something that has never been 100% clear to me with substitution levels. do I HAVE to take the other 2 levels? or is it my choice?

Cog
2011-09-20, 06:46 PM
edit: something that has never been 100% clear to me with substitution levels. do I HAVE to take the other 2 levels? or is it my choice?
Unless the specific class says otherwise, you can take any combination of them you like - all, none, just the third, etc.

umbergod
2011-09-20, 07:02 PM
Unless the specific class says otherwise, you can take any combination of them you like - all, none, just the third, etc.

thanks :) thats what I thought, but was never 100% sure so i shied away from racial substitution levels

Raendyn
2011-09-21, 03:51 AM
thanks :) thats what I thought, but was never 100% sure so i shied away from racial substitution levels

note also the change in the BAB, as a battle sorc you have 3/4 BAB, at lvl 1 you have 0 & the substitution gives 0 = same result = no probs

At lvl 4 thought, your BAB should be 3, the RSub lvl says you should have 2! Thats a problem. Since it would be ridiculus to lower your BAB, there can be 2 results:
a: you can't combine the 2 options, as the dragonblood Sorc doesn't go well with fighter theme, battle sorc has.
b: you don't gain BAB at these 2 lvls.