PDA

View Full Version : Undead creating spells for a Dread Necromance?

The Underlord
2011-09-20, 07:40 PM
What spells should a dread a necro take(from the spell adding class feature) for more variety of(or cheaper) undead. Also do any sources add spells to the DN's spellist?

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-09-20, 07:55 PM
Animate Dread Necro can be picked up at 12, and can take advantage of class levels.

mootoall
2011-09-20, 07:57 PM
Animate Dread Warrior can be picked up at 12, and can take advantage of class levels.

Did I fix that for you?

Maho-Tsukai
2011-09-20, 08:42 PM
Dread Necros get all the key animation spells on their own list. Animate Dead, Create Undead and Create Greater Undead.(And Plague of Undead, too.)However, advance learning can allow you to pick up some more obscure choices that may be fun...here are a few..

Animate Legion- A slightly cheaper, "stronger" version of Animate Dead. Level 4 on the Cleric list. Level 5 on the Wiz/Sorc one. You can choose from either.

Bodak's Glare- Kills a creature and makes it rise as a Bodak. Level 8 Cleric spell.

Field of Ghouls- Turns dying creatures into Ghouls. This is a level 7 domain spell from the Hunger domain but since advance learning can pick from any list you can snag this.

Animate Dread Warrior- Alerady mentioned but VERY MUCH worth it. Can create undead warriors but more importantly if spellstitched to yourself you can have an infinent-sized army that grows at a rate of 1 undead per day(or week, I forget which.). Level 6 Wiz/Sorc spell

Skeletal Guard- Animates turn/rebuke immune skeletons. Level 8 Sorc/Wis spell.

Those are just a few examples off the top of my head. I am sure there are more.

The Underlord
2011-09-20, 08:46 PM
Animate Dread Necro can be picked up at 12, and can take advantage of class levels.

I wish I had that spell, would make creating undead significantly quicker

Coidzor
2011-09-22, 06:20 PM
Animate Dread Warrior competes with Awaken Undead, IIRC. So you get to choose between spending XP to turn BBEGs with class levels into minions or having a bunch of Hydra Zombies with fast healing.

deuxhero
2011-09-22, 07:54 PM
While you can't add it to your list, get stone shape and stone to flesh somehow (UMD?) to make any bizzare undead you want (Hydras with 0 RHD templates=good)

Coidzor
2011-09-22, 11:33 PM
Probably the biggest problem with Stone to Flesh (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/stoneToFlesh.htm)is the targetting system.

Target: One petrified creature or a cylinder of stone from 1 ft. to 3 ft. in diameter and up to 10 ft. long

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-09-23, 02:14 AM
Probably the biggest problem with Stone to Flesh (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/stoneToFlesh.htm)is the targetting system.

How so?

Target: One petrified creature or a cylinder of stone from 1 ft. to 3 ft. in diameter and up to 10 ft. long

May be tough getting some of the larger bodies in a go, but at least a medium sized creature can easily fit within that cylinder.

Widen Spell can let you fit larger things in, of course. Shape Spell can do really silly things.

Fouredged Sword
2011-09-23, 07:06 AM
I prefer scrolls of PAO to turn piles of bodies into one big body. 3000gp for the scroll, 1000 something gp for the onyx. Having a great wyrm gold dragon zombie... Priceless.