PDA

View Full Version : Is there a guide to how Extradimensional/Nondimensional spaces interact?

Gavinfoxx
2011-09-20, 11:08 PM
Is there a guide somewhere to all the rules about which spells and items that use extradimensional or nondimensional spaces or whatever interact 'badly', and which ones do not, and where the sources for these rulings are? Has someone compiled all the 3.5 flavor text and rules text on this topic and come up with a simple, specific handbook to Dos and Don'ts with these sorts of things? I would REALLY REALLY like to find such a thing if someone DID make it... Thanks!

tyckspoon
2011-09-20, 11:24 PM
The only actual specific interaction I know of is the Bag of Holding/Portable Hole. The only other *mention* of such interactions I know of is Rope Trick's vague and ominous warning. The reason there's no guide to them is, again to the best of my knowledge, there isn't anything to have a guide to. It's just those things, and the Rope Trick one has a few developer comments about it along the lines of "yeah, nobody was paying attention to actually edit that one out, we recommend you ignore it."

Gavinfoxx
2011-09-20, 11:27 PM
Where can I find those Developer Comments? Were any of these questions in 3.0e or 3.5e faq?

tyckspoon
2011-09-20, 11:58 PM
There's a mention in the 3.0 FAQ that says that other extradimensional items do the same thing as the Bag/Hole when you try to nest them, although it strikes me as a fairly obvious houseruling-from-authority instead of the 'rules clarifications' that the FAQ is supposed to be. For what it's worth the same FAQ entry goes on to say that an extradimensional space created by a spell, such as a Rope Trick or a Magnificent Mansion, is perfectly safe (I haven't had a 3.0 PHB around in forever, so I don't know if the danger-warning in Rope Trick was in that text or not.)

The more recent "ignore that" line is one of Skip's Rules of The Game articles; here's a handy and finely crafted link (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20051101a).

Than
2011-09-21, 12:12 AM
The subject is far more clear in Pathfinder. On page 501 it states an extradimensional space place inside another one simply ceases to function until removed.

Portable Hole still being an exception.

Gavinfoxx
2011-09-22, 12:36 AM
So this begs the question... what items reference portable hole or bag of holding in the way they work, and thus inherit?