PDA

View Full Version : Factotum's spells

Elboxo
2011-09-20, 11:40 PM
Hi guys, i've been making a Factotum ( Level 7, Tibbit )
and was wondering if you guys had ideas for spells, I get 3 per day, up to level 2, from the sorcerer/wizard list and none can be the same, the party apart from me is nearly entirely melee, save a guy who made a speed-based character with a dip in cloister cleric ( 1 level ) so he's buying divine wands/scrolls. I've got decent UMD ( 11, can boost it up to 18 1/day )
I've looked at DictumMortuum's Handbook and have thought over some of the spells.....
I'm thinking:
Silence, Invisibility and/or Owl's Wisdom ( To heal more, i'm the primary in-combat healer, we have wands of Lesser Vigor for out of combat )
Very much considering swapping Silence for Grease or Glitterdust.
Since i won't need stealth that often and can probably prepare ahead, I think i'll drop Silence most of the time and stick with Grease, Invisibility ( Or Levitate/Alter Self ) and Owl's Wisdom. I don't really need Alter Self for movement, except in combat, out of combat i have a Rod of Ropes ( P116 Complete Scoundrel <3 <3 <3 )

Anyone have any different ideas? I really don't want damage spells, we have like 3 main tanky melees, me ( Relying on inspiration points for combat, and tumbling everywhere ) and a spring-attack speedster incarnate. I'd prefer out of combat utility or perhaps battlefield control, maybe group buffs, or long-term ones.

Thanks in advance!

NNescio
2011-09-21, 12:22 AM
Hi guys, i've been making a Factotum ( Level 7, Tibbit )
and was wondering if you guys had ideas for spells, I get 3 per day, up to level 2, from the sorcerer/wizard list and none can be the same, the party apart from me is nearly entirely melee, save a guy who made a speed-based character with a dip in cloister cleric ( 1 level ) so he's buying divine wands/scrolls. I've got decent UMD ( 11, can boost it up to 18 1/day )
I've looked at DictumMortuum's Handbook and have thought over some of the spells.....
I'm thinking:
Silence, Invisibility and/or Owl's Wisdom ( To heal more, i'm the primary in-combat healer, we have wands of Lesser Vigor for out of combat )
Very much considering swapping Silence for Grease or Glitterdust.
Since i won't need stealth that often and can probably prepare ahead, I think i'll drop Silence most of the time and stick with Grease, Invisibility ( Or Levitate/Alter Self ) and Owl's Wisdom. I don't really need Alter Self for movement, except in combat, out of combat i have a Rod of Ropes ( P116 Complete Scoundrel <3 <3 <3 )

Anyone have any different ideas? I really don't want damage spells, we have like 3 main tanky melees, me ( Relying on inspiration points for combat, and tumbling everywhere ) and a spring-attack speedster incarnate. I'd prefer out of combat utility or perhaps battlefield control, maybe group buffs, or long-term ones.

Thanks in advance!

Owl's Wisdom doesn't let you heal more. At least not with most spells. And if you have a +11 in UMD, you don't need much help in activating Wands of Lesser Vigor anyway. Not to mention that your friend who dipped Cloistered Cleric can also use those without even rolling.

Wolfishgrin
2011-09-21, 12:26 AM
You probably aren't going to want to hear this, but for a Factotum only one of your spells can be of your maximum level (in your case 2).

deuxhero
2011-09-21, 12:39 AM
Grease to make them flatfooted.

Wait? You didn't take IF? What kind of Factotum are you?!

Tr011
2011-09-21, 01:18 AM

Anyway he can use sneak attack. And it is an AC-debuff :)

Entice Gift (I think SpC), Mirror Image, Ray of Stupidity (SpC, only vs. animals), Arcane Turmoil (I think also SpC, only vs. buffed enemies) and Heroics (SpC, VERY useful and versatile feat if you got access to a lot of books) should be fun for you. Just read them and think how you could use them. Then think if you're sure you'll use them this day, if not, skip.

Elboxo
2011-09-21, 04:41 AM

IF? Iaijutsu Focus?

Owl's Wisdom doesn't let you heal more. At least not with most spells. And if you have a +11 in UMD, you don't need much help in activating Wands of Lesser Vigor anyway. Not to mention that your friend who dipped Cloistered Cleric can also use those without even rolling.

Opportunistic Piety: "You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Wisdom Bonus (If any)"
+2 Modifier on Wisdom = Two more doses of healing 21 HP

Ormur
2011-09-21, 09:14 AM
Wraithstrike is a very nice (arguably too nice) second level combat spell when your up against high ACs. Might not be of much use to you since you're not that focused on melee. Rope trick comes to mind and invisibility is always nice. Web and glitterdust are good BC spells.

JaronK
2011-09-21, 12:40 PM
Ghoul Glyph. Remember, as a spell like ability, you can cast it in a standard action. Paralyze one target with no save!

JaronK

hex0
2011-09-21, 12:53 PM
Opportunistic Piety: "You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Wisdom Bonus (If any)"
+2 Modifier on Wisdom = Two more doses of healing 21 HP

I see what you did there. (and I like it)

King Atticus
2011-09-21, 01:34 PM
It might not be optimal but when I made my Factotum I started with a first level dip into spellthief. It still gives decent HP and skill points and it let me focus my factotum "spells" on a few damage type spells and pick up wands of all kinds of utility spells that I then didn't even need to roll UMD to use. So I would use wands of knock, entice gift (as was mentioned), nerveskitter, expeditious retreat (I prefer the swift version), your owls wisdom or other non-blasty type spells (abjuration, divination, enchantment, illusion, and transmutation only) put into a wand bracer for easy access.

Randomguy
2011-09-21, 02:13 PM
Protection from arrows is nice until all of your enemies get magic bows and stuff.

Enlarge person is a decent buff for your friends, unless you have a DM that would calculate how much more their armour would weigh.

Fox's cunning can be useful for you, since you need int for just about everything.

Shatter has a thousand uses: you can break an enemy spell component pouch, most weapons until you get a high enough level that most enemy weapons are magical and you can shatter doors if you don't have time to pick the locks.

Wispering wind is a good spell to prepare if you plan on doing a lot of scouting, but otherwise don't bother.

If you're going to be infiltrating anything then alter or disguise self, suggestion and charm person are all good spells.

Draz74
2011-09-21, 05:02 PM
Heroics (SpC, VERY useful and versatile feat if you got access to a lot of books)

This!

For Level 1 ideas ... there aren't really any great long-duration or group buffs. There are some powerful one-shot effects, like Nerveskitter or Fist of Stone, or some underwhelming long-term buffs like Endure Elements.

candycorn
2011-09-21, 05:13 PM
One of the better level one options is magic missile, oddly. Each missile can get that inspiration boost.

Elboxo
2011-09-21, 06:35 PM
.....If you're going to be infiltrating anything then alter or disguise self, suggestion and charm person are all good spells.

Tibbit :)
Also a rod of ropes to get in, turn into a cat and just walk out.

It might not be optimal but when I made my Factotum I started with a first level dip into spellthief. It still gives decent HP and skill points and it let me focus my factotum "spells" on a few damage type spells and pick up wands of all kinds of utility spells that I then didn't even need to roll UMD to use. So I would use wands of knock, entice gift (as was mentioned), nerveskitter, expeditious retreat (I prefer the swift version), your owls wisdom or other non-blasty type spells (abjuration, divination, enchantment, illusion, and transmutation only) put into a wand bracer for easy access.

That's not a bad idea.... but i'd hate to lose anything from dropping factotum levels, we are drawing into an end to this campaign ( Probably go till about December) and next level i get cunning surge :D Thanks for the advice though.
I'd put the wisdom into an item, but i've used up my $$ already, might sell some stuff and buy one some time though!

...Heroics (SpC, VERY useful and versatile feat if you got access to a lot of books) should be fun for you. Just read them and think how you could use them. Then think if you're sure you'll use them this day, if not, skip.
I'm only really seeing mountain hammer and shadow jaunt being nice xD but that 50ft shadow jump is real nice

hex0
2011-09-21, 07:25 PM
That's not a bad idea.... but i'd hate to lose anything from dropping factotum levels, we are drawing into an end to this campaign ( Probably go till about December) and next level i get cunning surge :D

Always get cunning surge. You could take Chameleon 2 and craft some items with the floatin feat

Elboxo
2011-09-22, 03:38 AM
Always get cunning surge. You could take Chameleon 2 and craft some items with the floatin feat

Yeah, so i'd go into chameleon possibly level after next, i need to check it out, what book is it in?

NNescio
2011-09-22, 03:42 AM
Yeah, so i'd go into chameleon possibly level after next, i need to check it out, what book is it in?

Races of Destiny.

Elboxo
2011-09-22, 07:57 AM
Thanks guys, got to test him out today, the rod of ropes showing it's ungodly power lifting 3 heavy teammates up to an archer way above them to take him out as well as pulling me down against a giant fan to disable it, I prepared Owls wisdom, detect magic and grease, the only one I didn't end up using was grease xD a lot of airborn enemies today