PDA

View Full Version : The Sentinel (3.5 E6 base class, PEACH)

Gnorman
2011-09-21, 02:24 AM
The Sentinel

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/hoh_gallery/91986.jpg

HD: d12
Class Skills: Balance, Climb, Craft, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (history), Knowledge (nobility and royalty), Listen, Profession, Ride, Spot, Swim
Skill Points: 4 + Int per level (4x at 1st)

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+1|+2|+0|+0|Archetype, Interception, Combat Versatility

2nd|+2|+3|+0|+0|Lesser Archetype Power

3rd|+3|+3|+1|+1|Battlefield Awareness

4th|+4|+4|+1|+1|Moderate Archetype Power

5th|+5|+4|+1|+1|Stalwart Defender, Combat Versatility Bonus Feat

6th|+6/+1|+5|+2|+2|Greater Archetype Power, Shrug Off[/table]

Proficiencies: A sentinel is proficient with light, medium, and heavy armor, as well as all shields (including tower shields). He is proficient with simple and martial weapons.

Archetype: At 1st level, a sentinel chooses an archetype from the list below. He gains the advantages and abilities of the archetype at the appropriate levels, as indicated in the list. Once made, this choice is final.

Interception: The sentinel is able to protect his allies from harm. Once per round as a free action, if an ally within the sentinel's reach is about to be attacked in melee, the sentinel may choose to attempt to deflect the attack. He makes an opposed melee attack roll, with the DC considered to be the total result of the incoming attack. If successful, the attack is instead directed towards the sentinel, and he may use his armor class to defend against it as if he were the original target. The sentinel may use this ability twice per round at level 4.

Combat Versatility: The sentinel qualifies for feats as if he was a fighter of his own level. He also gains bonus fighter feats at 1st and 5th level. Once every twenty-four hours, the sentinel may swap any of these bonus feats for another feat he qualifies for, though he must still fill the prerequisites of any feat he selects.

Lesser Archetype Power: At 2nd level, the sentinel gains the appropriate power for his archetype.

Battlefield Awareness: At 3rd level, the sentinel can no longer be flanked or caught flat-footed.

Moderate Archetype Power: At 4th level, the sentinel gains the appropriate power for his archetype.

Stalwart Defender: At 5th level, if the sentinel successfully hits an opponent with an attack of opportunity while the opponent is moving through his threatened area, the opponent must immediately stop moving and cannot move further that round.

Greater Archetype Power: At 6th level, the sentinel gains the appropriate power for his archetype.

Shrug Off: Three times per day, the sentinel may choose to completely negate all damage done to him by one physical attack.

Archetypes:

Bastion
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/excerpts_epg_0601.jpg

Lesser Archetype Power: A bastion may add his total shield bonus to his opposed attack rolls on all Interception attempts.
Moderate Archetype Power: A bastion may use his Interception ability against ranged attacks as long as he is wielding a shield and adjacent to the ally about to be attacked. If he chooses to do so, the Interception attempt automatically succeeds.
Greater Archetype Power: When wearing heavy armor and equipped with a shield, a bastion may automatically ignore the first melee attack in a round that is redirected to him via his Interception ability, as if it had missed.

Gallant
http://media.dandwiki.com/w/images/e/ed/FighterHandbookTitle.jpg

Lesser Archetype Power: A gallant gains the ability to initiate maneuvers as a crusader of his level. His maneuver progression (both known and readied) and recovery mechanics are identical to the crusader. The disciplines available to him are Iron Heart, Stone Dragon, and one of the following: Army of One (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5710173), Quicksilver Aegis (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86266), Scarlet Bravura (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5569037), Steel Mountain (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7473262), or White Raven.
Moderate Archetype Power: Anytime a gallant successfully executes a maneuver, he is healed for an amount equal to the level of the maneuver.
Greater Archetype Power: If an opponent is successfully damaged by a gallant using a strike, that opponent may only attack or target the gallant on the subsequent round.

Juggernaut
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ForgeWar_Gallery/105864.jpg

Lesser Archetype Power: A juggernaut gains a bonus to both performing and resisting overrun and bullrush attempts equal to his Constitution modifier, and may bullrush an opponent of any size.
Moderate Archetype Power: When moving an opponent using a bullrush, a juggernaut deals extra damage if he can force his opponent into a wall or other obstacle. This damage is equal to 4d6 damage + twice his Strength modifier, and increases to 6d6 + three times his Strength modifier at 6th level.
Greater Archetype Power: When using Interception, if a juggernaut's opposing attack roll succeeds, the juggernaut's opponent is knocked back a number of squares equal to the difference between the two rolls, and is knocked prone. If the opponent is prevented from moving back by an obstacle, he takes 1d6 damage for each 5 feet he was unable to move.

Landsknecht
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/dd_gallery/dd5/Soldier_p209.jpg

Lesser Archetype Power: Any opponent moving into a landsknecht's reach is considered to be charging, giving it a -2 penalty to AC (though no positive benefits unless it was actually already charging) and allowing the landsknecht to do double damage with a weapon set against a charge. In additions, a landsknecht may attack adjacent opponents with reach weapons.
Moderate Archetype Power: All squares within a landsknecht's reach are considered difficult terrain for opponents.
Greater Archetype Power: When using Interception, if a landsknecht's opposing attack roll succeeds, the landsknecht may make one free melee attack at his highest base attack bonus as a free action.

Praetorian
http://d2o7bfz2il9cb7.cloudfront.net/main-qimg-5d3fb1aaf1c684d45ca898d67676f049

Lesser Archetype Power: A praetorian gains a +1 untyped bonus to armor class and Interception attempts for each ally within ten feet of it (to a maximum of +5).
Moderate Archetype Power: All allies within ten feet of a praetorian are immune to fear and negative morale effects, and may no longer be flanked or flat-footed.
Greater Archetype Power: If a praetorian successfully deflects an attack against an ally while using Interception, that ally may make one free melee attack against the opponent that attempted to attack them.

Spiryt
2011-09-21, 06:14 AM
Very nice stuff, although I feel that even with Archetype powers, this class has simply not enough options compared to magic ones, but that's the curse of 3.5-ish systems, I guess.

Anyway, more importantly, this class doesn't really have any sort of offensive output, save it's BAB - which makes me think that Landsknecht variant is in result not very balanced - reach is potent stuff, and you basically give them ability to attack and control area of something like 50 standard grids without any real disadvantages.:smalleek: In the same round, no matter where different opponents actually stand.

AFAIK, even with E6 rules, this could be also straight out abused really bad with few feats.

I can't really see other Archetypes abilities having even similar power level to it.

Gnorman
2011-09-21, 06:34 AM
Very nice stuff, although I feel that even with Archetype powers, this class has simply not enough options compared to magic ones, but that's the curse of 3.5-ish systems, I guess.

Anyway, more importantly, this class doesn't really have any sort of offensive output, save it's BAB - which makes me think that Landsknecht variant is in result not very balanced - reach is potent stuff, and you basically give them ability to attack and control area of something like 50 standard grids without any real disadvantages.:smalleek: In the same round, no matter where different opponents actually stand.

AFAIK, even with E6 rules, this could be also straight out abused really bad with few feats.

I can't really see other Archetypes abilities having even similar power level to it.

Yes, I suppose fifty squares is excessive. Let's scale that back a bit, then. Replacing it with a modified powerful build ability... still not thrilled with it, though, will brainstorm potential replacement archetypes.

The Juggernaut soaks up damage, the Praetorian gives advantages to defensive formations... what sort of defensive fighting niches are left to fill?

Orzel
2011-09-21, 06:39 AM
Looks pretty cool. Very straightforward but cool.

The Landsknecht looks scary. I can see a combat get shut down with the right player behind it.

The Juggernaut needs something though. It's not so strong compared to the others.

Spiryt
2011-09-21, 06:50 AM
Yes, I suppose fifty squares is excessive. Let's scale that back a bit, then. Replacing it with a modified powerful build ability... still not thrilled with it, though, will brainstorm potential replacement archetypes.

The Juggernaut soaks up damage, the Praetorian gives advantages to defensive formations... what sort of defensive fighting niches are left to fill?

Yeah, especially when connected with Stalwart Defender nothing could be really able to get close to him a lot of times, and that's better soaking damage or defensive formations than many other things... :smalleek:

Anyway, while I'm not too good about D&D-ish tactics, I would consider letting some "team" bonuses work at some a bit greater reach than "adjacent".

With just 1 square or allowed distance, those abilities could get quite a bit limiting, I think.

And from imagining stuff point of view, 1.5 m is not any real distance, interceptions can be brought from greater ones easily. :smallwink:

Gnorman
2011-09-22, 01:59 AM
Yeah, especially when connected with Stalwart Defender nothing could be really able to get close to him a lot of times, and that's better soaking damage or defensive formations than many other things... :smalleek:

Anyway, while I'm not too good about D&D-ish tactics, I would consider letting some "team" bonuses work at some a bit greater reach than "adjacent".

With just 1 square or allowed distance, those abilities could get quite a bit limiting, I think.

And from imagining stuff point of view, 1.5 m is not any real distance, interceptions can be brought from greater ones easily. :smallwink:

I am thinking "within weapon's reach," which would encourage a different choice - sure, you could be a vanguard with high AC and a tower shield, allowing you to deflect more attacks directed to you but able to intercept in a smaller range, or you could use a reach weapon and have a wider range to protect your allies, but it's more likely that you'll be hit and take the damage yourself.

I am trying hard not to make Landsknecht the "default" choice here, though. I made some changes to all three archetypes - the praetorian's "aura" functions in a slightly larger area, the landsknecht lost his free trip attempt but gained the ability to counterattack when succeeding on Interception, and the juggernaut gained the ability to protect his allies from ranged attacks (which was taken out of the general vanguard ability for alternate reasons).

The breakdown now looks something like this: The Juggernaut excels at pushing opponents around and soaking up damage (especially ranged damage), the Praetorian is highly formation- and team-oriented, allowing his allies to exploit weaknesses in their opponents' defenses, and the Landsknecht is the most offensively-oriented of the three, specializing in keeping opponents at bay with reach weapons and throwing in a vicious counterattack when the opportunity presents itself. All three now make better use of Interception (which I consider to be the vanguard's signature ability).