PDA

View Full Version : Help building a sorcerer

umbergod
2011-09-21, 07:54 AM
so my roommate is starting a 3rd level campaign, and I have all but decided to be a dragonwrought kobold sorcerer (minimal cheese, only Old aged to even out stats)

Will be using a base kobold, since I am not 100% sure his world setting even has deserts to allow a desert kobold, I will run that by him when he gets home from work.

My stats rolled are as follows, and can be in any order: 12 15 15 16 10 18.

I like the idea of the Abjurant Champion PrC for the free extended Mage Armor and extended and quickened Shield. Problem is that BAB requirements of the class are semi steep, and from what I have gathered on the forums, the Battle Sorcerer is quite weak.

I am making this character with utility/damage dealing in mind. Any help would be extremely appreciated, but nothing that breaks the game please, I dont want my roommate throwing the DMG at my head >.>

Essence_of_War
2011-09-21, 08:31 AM
The absolute gold standard for damage dealing sorcerers is DeAnno's Mailman.

You can find the link here (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19868534/The_Mailman:_A_Direct_Damage_Sorcerer?pg=1).

Be warned that it is fairly high op. You should probably tune it to the optimization level that your group/DM is comfortable with. It is a fantastic road map to the high op choices.

umbergod
2011-09-21, 08:44 AM

You can find the link here (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19868534/The_Mailman:_A_Direct_Damage_Sorcerer?pg=1).

Be warned that it is fairly high op. You should probably tune it to the optimization level that your group/DM is comfortable with. It is a fantastic road map to the high op choices.

I saw that build, and dont like the idea of it, it seems overly optimized for damage dealing, and kinda cheesy IMO. My idea is less singular focus on damage dealing, and more of a broad focus with my casting. Utility, control and damage in general.

Lack of the dragon magazines hurts too. I had in mind originally going Battle Sorcerer for the HP and armor proficiencies, but the spell hit isnt much worth it, since I dont plan to be mixing it up in melee with a -4 to STR.

one of the builds I was reading interested me, but I realized doesnt work since Fiend Blooded isnt an available PrC to non humanoid types. So that went out the window. Is there a compiled list of good PrCs for sorcerers, and maybe a list of alternate sorcerers?

Talya
2011-09-21, 08:46 AM

Huh. I've heard of the mailman but i've never looked at it.

I question something though...he talks throughout about "Assay Spell Resistance" as if it takes a standard action to cast, as if he would cast it with Arcane Fusion or Spellsurge. It doesn't. ASR is a swift casting spell...I used it all the time as a sorcerer.

Essence_of_War
2011-09-21, 08:59 AM
The full blown mailman exists to serve a particular niche. A niche that arises when DMs and players are both playing mid-high op, where save-or-bad-stuff NEVER works, and the battlefield is being sculpted by both sides. In such a case, it makes a lot of sense to sidestep the nonsense and just kill things.

You almost certainly don't want Battle Sorcerer unless you want to be doing some melee. Regular sorcerer sounds like it fits you fine.

There is a good sorcerer guide here (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872258/Sorcerers_Guide._Your_help_wanted.). Again, they have a map to the highest op options, but you can easily tone it down for your group/DM. There are a number of builds including spell choices about 2/3 of the way down.

On a personal note, this guide includes one of my favorite pieces of writing by forum regular DocRoc that is worth reproducing:

I want to clarify somethings here. I'm what used to be called a theoretical optimization guy. I'm primarily a GM, however. So I want to impart some bits of wisdom. Though I'm writing a dirty tricks mini-guide here, these are not things you should use to run ramshackle over your GM. If you are the kind of person who wants to "win" D&D, turn back now. There's no help for you here, and there's no help for you anywhere. You know why?

Because the Gamemaster is the sole intercessor between you and the world your character lives in. He is possessed of fundamentally infinite power, and hopefully a nearly equal amount of patience. He is your friend, your ally in the pursuit of high adventure. Should you, through some terrible machination, manage to defeat the GameMaster, you will find yourself in the same position I did almost eight years ago. You will discover that in defeating him, you have at best become the heir to his miserable throne. At worst, you've ruined it for everyone. Trust me, these are not fates you desire.

For a sorcerer, however, dirty tricks are often the name of the day as you struggle to keep your party alive against all odds. Did the warrior's player come late and miss the part where the GM mentioned that the sword was cursed? Did he grab it anyway?

It will be your job to keep the roof from caving in. No use in recriminations, just move, just act. Unlike your cousin the wizard, you can't say you didn't have the spell prepared. Your only refuge is absolute competence. Remember, the game mechanics are there to act as your crutch, your enabler as you struggle to be the master of arcane power you most certainly are not in real life. Best make sure you lean on a steady shoulder. That's when I'll be there to help you, the black-clad patron saint of desperate casters.

umbergod
2011-09-21, 09:05 AM
The full blown mailman exists to serve a particular niche. A niche that arises when DMs and players are both playing mid-high op, where save-or-bad-stuff NEVER works, and the battlefield is being sculpted by both sides. In such a case, it makes a lot of sense to sidestep the nonsense and just kill things.

You almost certainly don't want Battle Sorcerer unless you want to be doing some melee. Regular sorcerer sounds like it fits you fine.

There is a good sorcerer guide here (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872258/Sorcerers_Guide._Your_help_wanted.). Again, they have a map to the highest op options, but you can easily tone it down for your group/DM. There are a number of builds including spell choices about 2/3 of the way down.

On a personal note, this guide includes one of my favorite pieces of writing by forum regular DocRoc that is worth reproducing:

I actually have that guide open in another tab :) reading through it currently. I'm thinking this is going to be a mid to low level power campaign as far as difficulty of the things we face. First time DM combined with some new to gaming experience PCs, I think I am the only one with several years gaming experience in the group.

Is there any way to get into Abjurant Champion before level 10 without multiclassing into a diff base class or the use of Battle Sorcerer? I have the martial weapon proficiency covered using the web enhancement for kobolds. If there isnt I guess I will just look into other options.

Gonna chat with my DM about boosting skill points by 2 and perhaps a d6 HD for baseline sorcerers, see how he feels about that, since I would put that on part with Battle Sorcers (dont have much experience with class customization so any opinions on this matter is appreciated)

Essence_of_War
2011-09-21, 09:19 AM
You can squeeze in at 9th if you take a level of spellsword (from CW). It's tough to skirt BAB requirements though. The fastest ways into Abj Champ are Duskblade or Hexblade 5 (although they probably wouldn't WANT to get into it), and you can also use the slightly slower Any Full BAB 4/Wizard or Sorc 2.

If you want to build someone who's good in melee, may I recommend something like the standard Sorcadin:
Paladin 2/Sorcerer4/Spellsword1/AbjChamp5/SacredExorcist8

You can use the paladin alignment variants if you don't want to be a super goody goody.

umbergod
2011-09-21, 09:24 AM
You can squeeze in at 9th if you take a level of spellsword (from CW). It's tough to skirt BAB requirements though. The fastest ways into Abj Champ are Duskblade or Hexblade 5 (although they probably wouldn't WANT to get into it), and you can also use the slightly slower Any Full BAB 4/Wizard or Sorc 2.

If you want to build someone who's good in melee, may I recommend something like the standard Sorcadin:
Paladin 2/Sorcerer4/Spellsword1/AbjChamp5/SacredExorcist8

You can use the paladin alignment variants if you don't want to be a super goody goody.

yeah my idea isnt for the awesome melee, so probably just pick up the PrC at level 10. its the +5 BAB, and increased function to mage armor and shield that I am liking, to help keep from getting turned into a pin cushion while I fire off my spells at a distance.

also, what are your thoughts on the Mother Cyst feat? I like the idea, and the spells are interesting, but I am having trouble coming up with a fluff/story reason for why I would have it

Essence_of_War
2011-09-21, 09:32 AM
There seems to be very little downside to picking up the Spellsword level and getting in at 9th instead of 10th. It also gives you a nice save boost, and some ASF reduction. Nice if you want to carry around a buckler or something (Pro tip: Enhance with Soulfire at some point :smallbiggrin:)

Just be aware that Mage Armor isn't actually an abjuration spell, and so can't be extended, quickened, or enhanced by the abjurant champion. I know the fluff says otherwise. I know the sample NPC seems to benefit from it. Awful editing.

YMMV by DM, it's possible that your DM may decide that this is so stupid that Mage Armor is now an abjuration spell also.

Shield, by contrast, works wonderfully with Abjurant Champion.

umbergod
2011-09-21, 09:38 AM
There seems to be very little downside to picking up the Spellsword level and getting in at 9th instead of 10th. It also gives you a nice save boost, and some ASF reduction. Nice if you want to carry around a buckler or something (Pro tip: Enhance with Soulfire at some point :smallbiggrin:)

Just be aware that Mage Armor isn't actually an abjuration spell, and so can't be extended, quickened, or enhanced by the abjurant champion. I know the fluff says otherwise. I know the sample NPC seems to benefit from it. Awful editing.

YMMV by DM, it's possible that your DM may decide that this is so stupid that Mage Armor is now an abjuration spell also.

Shield, by contrast, works wonderfully with Abjurant Champion.

hmmm, Im not sure how I blanked that Mage Armor isnt abjuration >.< probably because I never played an Abjurer before. The Spellsword for level 9 would be nice, but I couldnt meet the requirements unless I snagged a fighter or paladin level, since it requires full martial weapon proficiency+full armor proficiency.

Might consider the Stalwart Sorcerer, only thing I am not sure on is that if it reduces spells known to 0, do I still have the ability to cast if I have bonus spells from charisma? If my DM will let me take the martial weapon prof+weapon focus of stalwart sorcerer and apply it to a ranged weapon it might be worth the loss of a single spell known, when combined with the bonus HP, which would essentially negate my con penalty entirely. decisions decisions

Essence_of_War
2011-09-21, 09:53 AM
What benefits are you getting from Battle or Stalwart? Is it just the BAB to get into abjurant champion faster? Or do you desperately need the hp?

My bad on the Spellsword :smallsmile:

umbergod
2011-09-21, 09:57 AM
What benefits are you getting from Battle or Stalwart? Is it just the BAB to get into abjurant champion faster? Or do you desperately need the hp?

My bad on the Spellsword :smallsmile:

well the battle sorc was for hp/armor prof. stalwart would be for the hp/weapon focus (if i can get my dm to allow martial ranged weapons) so that im not 100% reliant on my spells at all times. having a con penalty, and d4 hp makes me nervous. While the DM is new to running campaigns, he also plays intelligently, meaning enemy archers are probably gonna be gunning for me if they see me casting spells.

Also, what is a good 1st level spell to pick for my RotD ability? I plan on getting the greater ritual at level 6 as well, to put me on par with wizards for spell level advancement.

umbergod
2011-09-22, 05:35 PM
okay, so i decided on what kind of sorcerer to use, no battle sorcerer/stalwart variants, just gonna try avoid getting turned into a pincushion.

going to opt for incantatrix at 6th level I think. However I am undecided on what metamagic feat to take to meet the requirements for the PrC.

Also, would it be better to go 1-10 in incantatrix, or break at 10th level and go 1-5 in Abjurant Champion?

hex0
2011-09-22, 07:37 PM
Kobold Paragon 3 with Write of Greater Draconic Passage is a bit better than Sorcerer 3 . Check here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060127a)and here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a)to kick off any Kobold Sorcerer build.

Edit: In this build, Sorcerer 3/Kobold Paragon 3 has 6 more hp, 6 more skills, better saves, prof. with picks, compared to sorcerer 6. Same spell casting. And +2 cha :)

Edit, edit: I'd go Spellsword 1/Abjurant Champion 5 after getting your BAB up high enough. There really isn't much reason not to.

umbergod
2011-09-22, 08:19 PM
Kobold Paragon 3 with Write of Greater Draconic Passage is a bit better than Sorcerer 3 . Check here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060127a)and here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a)to kick off any Kobold Sorcerer build.

Edit: In this build, Sorcerer 3/Kobold Paragon 3 has 6 more hp, 6 more skills, better saves, prof. with picks, compared to sorcerer 6. Same spell casting. And +2 cha :)

Edit, edit: I'd go Spellsword 1/Abjurant Champion 5 after getting your BAB up high enough. There really isn't much reason not to.

spellsword requires full martial weapon proficiency and armor proficiency or i would. might check out the paragon though

hex0
2011-09-22, 08:27 PM
spellsword requires full martial weapon proficiency and armor proficiency or i would. might check out the paragon though

Please do. You don't need Spellsword when you can buy a Twilight Mithril Chain Shirt. :smallcool:

Edit: although you could take Dragonslayer 1 to nab the prof. for Spellsword. You get +1 casting, +1 bab, 2 good saves and a few goodies. Or just take Dragonslayer 1 for the heck of it in your build. The feat prereqs suck a bit...but they are shared prereqs for Incantatrix or Swiftblade.

Edit 2: You can also treat the Dire Pick as a martial weapon.

umbergod
2011-09-22, 08:31 PM
Please do. You don't need Spellsword when you can buy a Twilight Mithril Chain Shirt. :smallcool:

this is very true. At the same time I'm not sure what all the DM is allowing, and since its starting at 3rd level, my item options are limited. and depending on how fast or slow we gain levels that level dip from the first level of paragon might hurt

hex0
2011-09-22, 08:46 PM
this is very true. At the same time I'm not sure what all the DM is allowing, and since its starting at 3rd level, my item options are limited. and depending on how fast or slow we gain levels that level dip from the first level of paragon might hurt

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'd go for Kobold Paragon 1/Sorcerer 1/Kobold Paragon 1. You won't have light sensitivity, your hp and saves will be good. Take Draconic Resevoir for your third level feat. Magic Missile is nice to have for free 3/day at third level. You move 30 feet and can stay out of combat. If people get up in your business then Heavy Pick them a bit. Keep your mage armor on and you'll do fine. Grease, Color Spray and Hypnotism work great at low levels for your other spell.

umbergod
2011-09-22, 09:03 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'd go for Kobold Paragon 1/Sorcerer 1/Kobold Paragon 1. You won't have light sensitivity, your hp and saves will be good. Take Draconic Resevoir for your third level feat. Magic Missile is nice to have for free 3/day at third level. You move 30 feet and can stay out of combat. If people get up in your business then Heavy Pick them a bit. Keep your mage armor on and you'll do fine. Grease, Color Spray and Hypnotism work great at low levels for your other spell.

well, I am thinking I need to stay away from melee combat at all costs, as I took the flaws for -1 AC and -2 to melee attack rolls. The variant sorcerer class I am using would actually grant me access to 2nd level spells if I was straight sorcerer. Paragon has the same amount of skill points as my variant as well.

hex0
2011-09-22, 09:15 PM
well, I am thinking I need to stay away from melee combat at all costs, as I took the flaws for -1 AC and -2 to melee attack rolls. The variant sorcerer class I am using would actually grant me access to 2nd level spells if I was straight sorcerer. Paragon has the same amount of skill points as my variant as well.

Battle Sorcerer? Not that great.

It's up to you, really. I think the hp, saves, and other stuff make Paragon worth it. You'll make up that lost caster level at level 6.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-09-22, 09:18 PM
How come nobody has linked this (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2180.0)? That guide is the guide for sorcerers.

umbergod
2011-09-22, 09:19 PM
nono not battle sorcerer, this one is a reg sorcerer, with spell progression similar to a favored soul, more skills/skill points, and some feats on par with the wizards bonus feats

hex0
2011-09-22, 09:22 PM
nono not battle sorcerer, this one is a reg sorcerer, with spell progression similar to a favored soul, more skills/skill points, and some feats on par with the wizards bonus feats

Where is this or is this homebrew? Seems overpowered. wow.

umbergod
2011-09-22, 09:26 PM
I dont remember exactly where I got it from, one of the big sorcerer handbooks floating around. Its actually quite nice, with the whole "only gaining the next spell level at 3/5/etc if you have a high enough charisma to get bonus spells for that level. d4 HD, same BAB and saves as base sorcerer. Eschew materials at 1st level, then at 5/10/15/20 you get to pick either a metagmagic, draconic, or heritage feat you meat the requirements for.

helps make the sorcerer a little more appealing, due to the lack of flexibility that a wizard has. more skill points since they kinda got shafted in that aspect.

oh, at the bottom of the pdf it says "savevsdm.com" so im guessing thats where it was worked on and from

Dr.Orpheus
2011-09-22, 09:38 PM
a kobold sorcerer with a metallic dragon relatives can take vow of poverty you can get huge boosts to stats and if you gain that feat that gives you dragon claws it will improve those and your ac will be killer

umbergod
2011-09-22, 09:43 PM
a kobold sorcerer with a metallic dragon relatives can take vow of poverty you can get huge boosts to stats and if you gain that feat that gives you dragon claws it will improve those and your ac will be killer

wouldnt i be unable to own magic items? doesnt fit my character concept anyways.

not willing to demolish my character concept to min/max or get crazy bonuses, which is why i threw the mailman build out the window.

hex0
2011-09-23, 08:55 AM
I dont remember exactly where I got it from, one of the big sorcerer handbooks floating around. Its actually quite nice, with the whole "only gaining the next spell level at 3/5/etc if you have a high enough charisma to get bonus spells for that level. d4 HD, same BAB and saves as base sorcerer. Eschew materials at 1st level, then at 5/10/15/20 you get to pick either a metagmagic, draconic, or heritage feat you meat the requirements for.

helps make the sorcerer a little more appealing, due to the lack of flexibility that a wizard has. more skill points since they kinda got shafted in that aspect.

oh, at the bottom of the pdf it says "savevsdm.com" so im guessing thats where it was worked on and from

Not familiar with it. You'd still get the better spell progression if it is allowed in your game though through paragon/prestige classes. Bonus draconic feats are somewhat handy, but you already are a dragon and you already have classes. The best one to take for you would be Draconic Wings, but you could take that by leveling normally, too.

umbergod
2011-09-23, 09:58 AM
Draconic Wings isn't all that appealing due to being able to get fly as a 3rd level spell, though I am still considering picking it up for my character concept. Basically I want a sorcerer who began his life relatively slow and uneventful for a kobold, garnering little experience but leading to a fufilling life amongst his tribe. Then, nearly 100 years after his egg was hatched, his tribe was decimated whilst he was out searching for areas to expand the tribe's mines and bring them new wealth.

so far, I have chosen Dragonwrought as my first feat, and have chosen vulnerable and noncombatant flaws, though I may switch out vulnerable for hot-blooded. The flaws show his utter disdain and avoidance for melee combat, instead preferring to get distance and blast at enemies with spells and crossbow. Picking up Draconic Reservoir as my 3rd level feat, because 3 free first level spells is quite appealing. Probably pick up magic missile like you suggested, as it is one of the few first level spells that scales decently with level.

I have since changed my mind about incantatrix, not really wanting to burn a feat on **** like iron will, unless I can talk my DM into allowing me access to a otyugh hole.

Not sure paragon fits my character concept, at least not in terms of fluff. Sure, all the abilities would be useful, but aren't paragons, ya know, scions of their race? Hmmmm that and I am not 100% sure my DM will allow paragons.

Anyways, are there any PrCs that offer full caster progression like incantatrix that might fit my concept? Dragonheart Mage looks appealing, but the 2 dead levels is a big turn off.

hex0
2011-09-24, 12:47 AM
Anyways, are there any PrCs that offer full caster progression like incantatrix that might fit my concept? Dragonheart Mage looks appealing, but the 2 dead levels is a big turn off.

If you aren't as hot on Kobold Paragon as I am, check out Dragon Mystic (dragon 296)

umbergod
2011-09-24, 03:47 AM
the paragon is a great idea in general, just not very fitting for my character fluff. Will definitely keep it in mind for any future kobolds though :)

as for Dragon Mystic, did you mean Dragonscribe? since that seems to be the only caster PrC i am seeing in this magazine >.>

EDIT: Nevermind, found the one you were referring to. Interesting, but I wouldnt get much out of it, the whole lack of a breathweapon kind sucks.

umbergod
2011-09-24, 01:02 PM
on second thought, I could grab Draconic Breath, that would function as my breath weapon and allow me to make use of the 5th level bonus.

so far my setup is looking like this for feats

1st: Dragonwrought, Dragonic Breath, Draconic Wings, with 2 flaws.
3rd:Draconic Reservoir
5th: a metamagic feat, probably maximize

6th I am undecided still. All I know is this set up is gonna leave me broke for a while lol. 100gp from the basic dragon ritual, 1k from the great ritual, and 5k in diamonds for the mystic PrC

hex0
2011-09-24, 01:06 PM
on second thought, I could grab Draconic Breath, that would function as my breath weapon and allow me to make use of the 5th level bonus.

so far my setup is looking like this for feats

1st: Dragonwrought, Dragonic Breath, Draconic Wings, with 2 flaws.
3rd:Draconic Reservoir
5th: a metamagic feat, probably maximize

6th I am undecided still. All I know is this set up is gonna leave me broke for a while lol. 100gp from the basic dragon ritual, 1k from the great ritual, and 5k in diamonds for the mystic PrC

If you have a breath weapon, entangling exhalation makes a nice choice.

Draconic Legacy is nice as well, later on.

umbergod
2011-09-24, 01:10 PM
If you have a breath weapon, entangling exhalation makes a nice choice.

Draconic Legacy is nice as well, later on.

yeah I was thinking about the exhalation one, since my breath weapon will be a 60' line of acid (went copper for RP/story reasons, plus i get hide as a class skill)

hex0
2011-09-25, 01:38 AM
The fifth level of Dragon mystic isn't that great when you can just take feats for the same effects. It makes a good 1 dip though. Four levels gets you +2 charisma. I'd take the paragon class as well for the +2 charisma as well. They do get d12 hit die though!

Kobold Paragon 1/Sorcerer 1/Kobold paragon 2/Sorcerer 2/Dragon Mystic 4 to start

or

Sorcerer 5/Dragon Mystic 4

umbergod
2011-09-25, 01:42 AM
The fifth level of Dragon mystic isn't that great when you can just take feats for the same effects. It makes a good 1 dip though. Four levels gets you +2 charisma. I'd take the paragon class as well for the +2 charisma as well. They do get d12 hit die though!

Kobold Paragon 1/Sorcerer 1/Kobold paragon 2/Sorcerer 2/Dragon Mystic 4 to start

or

Sorcerer 5/Dragon Mystic 4

probably gonna take the second choice. Need to find another PrC that fits my theme of magic hoarding chaotic yet mostly good mini dragon.

hex0
2011-09-25, 01:45 AM
probably gonna take the second choice. Need to find another PrC that fits my theme of magic hoarding chaotic yet mostly good mini dragon.

Sounds good. Any thought to the build after that? Dragon Mystic is very nice...maybe go incant. after?

umbergod
2011-09-25, 01:48 AM
6 levels of incant wouldnt be a terrible idea, though having to dump a feat on iron will sucks, since I am still not sure the dm will allow the otyugh hole for 3k. definitely wanna mix in abjurant champion eventually

hex0
2011-09-25, 03:34 PM
6 levels of incant wouldnt be a terrible idea, though having to dump a feat on iron will sucks, since I am still not sure the dm will allow the otyugh hole for 3k. definitely wanna mix in abjurant champion eventually

It is best to get Incantatrix 8, actually.

There is always room for Abjurant Champion later on but you'd have to pick up Martial Prof. Dragon Slayer 1 (which also require Iron Will) and Kobold Paragon would both get it for you.

I'd get Dragon Mystic done first before moving on to anything else. Bonus acid damage on your spells, +2 CHA, and a d12 HD are great....

Incantatrix heavy build
Sorcerer 1, (Dragonwrought, Dragonic Breath, Draconic Wings)
Sorcerer 2
Sorcerer 3, Draconic Resevoir
Sorcerer 4
Sorcerer 5, Maximize Spell
Dragon Mystic 1, Entangling Exhalation
Dragon Mystic 2
Dragon Mystic 3
Dragon Mystic 4, Iron Will
Incantatrix 1 (bonus metamagic)
Incantatrix 2
Incantatrix 3, Combat Casting
Incantatrix 4
Incantatrix 5 (bonus metamagic)
Incantatrix 6, Dodge (or open if taking KP instead of DS)
Incantatrix 7
Incantatrix 8
Dragon Slayer 1 (or KP), Draconic Vigor
Abjurant Champion 1
Abjurant Champion 2

Abjurant Champion Heavy Build
Sorcerer 1, (Dragonwrought, Iron Will, Draconic Wings)
Sorcerer 2
Sorcerer 3, Draconic Resevoir
Sorcerer 4
Sorcerer 5, Draconic Vigor
Dragon Mystic 1, Dodge
Dragon Mystic 2
Dragon Mystic 3
Dragon Mystic 4, Combat Casting
Dragon Slayer 1
Spellsword 1
Abjurant Champion 1, Maximize Spell
Abjurant Champion 2
Abjurant Champion 3
Abjurant Champion 4, Mobility
Abjurant Champion 5
Swiftblade 1
Swiftblade 2, Draconic Toughness
Swiftblade 3
Incantatrix 1

I'm not that big a fan of Draconic Breath, but I do like the other Draconic Feats (if you can count Dragonwrought as Draconic Heritage, that is).

umbergod
2011-09-25, 03:40 PM
my DM is letting me get draconic heritage for free in place of my familiar. Im also using the variant that gives kobolds weapon proficiency with light/heavy picks, which covers martial weapon prof.

Looking at the Incantatrix, some of the abilities arent that great, since cooperative metamagic is unlikely. Odds are im gonna be the only caster in the group, since most new people shy away from playing casters.

hex0
2011-09-25, 03:51 PM
Looking at the Incantatrix, some of the abilities arent that great, since cooperative metamagic is unlikely. Odds are im gonna be the only caster in the group, since most new people shy away from playing casters.

Which version of Incantatrix are you looking at?

umbergod
2011-09-25, 03:55 PM
the one in player's guide to faerun

hex0
2011-09-25, 07:17 PM
the one in player's guide to faerun

Both versions are among the best PRCs in the game. Reducing metamagic spell level adjustment and casting time are always very valuable.

You also have a boosted spellcaster level from the Greater Rite that you can spend on a PRC that normally doesn't advance your caster level at a certain level...Such as the first level of Kobold Paragon, the 2nd levels of Spellsword and Dragonslayer, the fourth level of Swiftblade, etc. Use that to your advantage. If you really want to take Dragon Draconic Breath, just take Dragonheart Mage instead you get it as bonus feat, and you get more Draconic Feats from there. You really need a 'real' breath weapon to get the most out of Breath feats, though.

Do you pretty much have the build done? I've already suggested quite a few. :smallbiggrin:

umbergod
2011-09-25, 07:27 PM
well, since the boost from the 6th level ritual puts me ahead of the curve, dracolexi looks better. so far i have it built 1-9 which is sorcerer5/dragon mystic 4. I would have to dump 4 points in perform, but other than that dracolexi is a fairly fitting class. Might take a second look at incantatrix. If i am getting a lot of bonus metamagic feats I might take it. the breath weapon thing isn't something i absolutely need, its just fitting for the character. though I could conceivably just make it so that my attack spells look like I'm spitting them out, breath weapon style. Would allow me to either dump a flaw, or get another feat at first level.

Edit: how does focused study work? does it bar being able to cast any spells of that school, a la wizard specialization, or does it just prevent learning any more spells of that school?