PDA

View Full Version : Griffon Totem Barbarian?

Quietus
2011-09-21, 12:42 PM
Alright, so toying with the idea of "chaining" alternate class feature swapping, I'd like to explore the idea of developing different totem barbarians. For the sake of this thread, let's assume that having the appropriate class features qualifies you for an ACF, so that for example when my Barbarian gets Combat Style, he can trade that for Wildshape as per Wildshape Ranger. This is not the thread to discuss that, just to discuss whether this sort of thing is A) interesting, B) reasonable in a game.

The goal : Create a Griffon Totem Barbarian, by gaining both the Eagle Totem (SRD) and Spirit Lion Totem (Complete Champion) alternate class features. In order to do this we need Barbarian Fast Movement twice, while retaining Trap Sense.

Step 1 : Barbarian chassis. Trade Rage and its improvements for Archery combat style and Favored Enemy (SRD)
Step 2 : Trade our Archery combat style for Wild Shape and Fast Movement as Barbarian (SRD)
Step 3 : Trade one Fast Movement for Pounce, via Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian (complete champion)
Step 4 : Trade the other Fast Movement and Trap Sense for Eagle Totem (SRD)
Step 5 : Trade Wild Shape and Armor/Shield proficiencies for Monk AC bonus and speed enhancement, Favored Enemy (a second time), Swift Tracker (as Ranger), and Track (As Ranger). All (SRD)
Step 6 : Trade Monk AC bonus (keep wis to AC, though) and Speed enhancement for Barbarian Damage Reduction, which we now have twice (SRD)
Step 7 : Trade one of our Damage Reductions for Spirit Lion Totem Manifestation (Complete Champion)

So we end up trading away our Barbarian's armor and shield proficiencies, rage, fast movement, keeping only Illiteracy from our original chassis. Then we tack on Wis to AC, Track bonus feat, two Favored Enemies, a +2 to spot, and Pounce. Later on he will gain Lightning Reflexes, Swift Tracker, and an Intimidating Roar ability. So the first 10 levels of Barbarian will end up looking like this :

{table=head]Level|Class|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Skills|Feats|Class Features

1st|Barbarian1|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Skills|New Feats|Illiteracy, Track (b), Wis to AC, Favored Enemy (x2), +2 Spot, Pounce

2nd|Barbarian2|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|Skills|New Feats|Uncanny Dodge

3rd|Barbarian3|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|Skills|New Feats|Lightning Reflexes

4th|Barbarian4|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|Skills|New Feats|

5th|Barbarian5|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1|Skills|New Feats|Improved Uncanny Dodge, Favored Enemy (x2)

6th|Barbarian6|
+6/+1|
+5|
+2|
+2|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

7th|Barbarian7|
+7/+2|
+5|
+2|
+2|Skills|New Feats|Damage Reduction 1/-, Totem Manifestation (Lion's roar) 1/day

8th|Barbarian8|
+8/+3|
+6|
+2|
+2|Skills|New Feats|

9th|Barbarian9|
+9/+4|
+6|
+3|
+3|Skills|New Feats|

10th|Barbarian10|
+10/+5|
+7|
+3|
+3|Skills|New Feats|Damage Reduction 2/-, Favored Enemy (x2), Totem Manifestation (Lion's Roar) 2/day[/table]

Totem Manifestation : A 30 foot radius effect, will save DC 10+str+1/2 barbarian level or be shaken for rounds=barbarian level.

What you end up with is a barbarian capable of tracking things down, trained heavily in the best methods to do so for a wide variety of opponents - just make sure your favored enemy features don't overlap - with all the ferocity and majesty of a Griffon. It shares the griffon's reflexes and good eyesight, gains the ability to pounce on its foe, and come 7th level, can loose a powerful roar to shatter his opponents morale. Past level 10 you end up with a lot of dead levels, though - you gain Damage Reduction and one additional use of Totem Manifestation every 3 levels, and two bouts of Favored Enemy every 5 levels, plus an increase in the save DC vs. Totem Manifestation on every even level.

As an alternate route, you can keep the Monk AC bonus (+1/5 levels) and the Enhancement bonus to speed, which helps alleviate some of the dead levels. You lose damage reduction entirely, but you'd get +10 feet of speed at levels 9, 12, 15, and 18, and +1 use of your Roar at levels 10, 13, 16 and 19.

So, what are you guys' thoughts on this? I think it's an interesting take on the Barbarian chassis, but it does suffer from MAD; Of course, you can still tank Wis and wear armor with no ACP, since all you'd lose is the Wis bonus to AC.

Flickerdart
2011-09-21, 12:45 PM
All that effort doesn't seem worth it for +2 to Spot and a crappy bonus feat.

Quietus
2011-09-21, 02:32 PM
All that effort doesn't seem worth it for +2 to Spot and a crappy bonus feat.

Two bonus feats, double favored enemy progression, wis to AC (and possibly trading DR for +1 AC/5 levels and monk speed progression), and a limited /day use fear burst with good duration, however? It's an interesting alternative, I think, even if it's not super strong. I'm not saying that this is remarkably powerful. Only that it does evoke the abilities of a griffon, at least to me, albeit doing so at a tier 4 or 5 level. Probably 5, in all honesty.

TroubleBrewing
2011-09-21, 02:52 PM
This feels like a pretty sweet upgrade to the Barbarian. I'd take this over a Core Barb any day. Might even take it past that one-level dip. It also gets you into classes that require FE without having to dip Ranger.

Seems like a good way to "clean up" overly dippy builds. If "overly dippy" bothers you, that is.

Greenish
2011-09-21, 03:05 PM
Interesting idea. I'm a bit iffy about chaining ACFs, but it's certainly entertaining, and does evoke the griffon totem.

Quietus
2011-09-21, 03:36 PM
Interesting idea. I'm a bit iffy about chaining ACFs, but it's certainly entertaining, and does evoke the griffon totem.

Yeah, I think it does have the potential to be abused. Then again, a lot of the exchanges are limited to mundane classes. I do think that overall, the griffon totem barbarian above is a bit weaker than the standard barbarian; Roughly on par vs. its favored enemies, perhaps, but in a general sense, not quite as strong. And I think I'd keep the AC/speed bonuses in place of damage reduction, just to eliminate some dead levels and evoke more of a flying, mobile feel. Overall, I think that as long as one works with a mind toward balance, and approaches it responsibly, chaining ACFs can produce interesting and varied results without breaking the game wide open.