PDA

View Full Version : LA +0 Skeleton Template [3.5][PEACHy]

gooddragon1
2011-09-21, 02:44 PM
Hollow One (http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Hollow_One_%283.5e_Race%29)

So, yes it's undead template but I've made some adjustments to attempt to get it to LA +0. Also it should be playable as it can speak and heal "naturally".

-Allowed them to be resurrected
-Made them die at -10

vasharanpaladin
2011-09-22, 03:34 PM
Undead can already heal "naturally." See Libris Mortis. :smalltongue:

gooddragon1
2011-09-22, 04:14 PM
Undead can already heal "naturally." See Libris Mortis. :smalltongue:

Some DM's say that they can't because they haven't read libris mortis or don't allow it. This ensures that they do and replaces that healing rate if they do (I think they heal faster than this so this is a balancing factor as well).

drakir_nosslin
2011-09-22, 04:52 PM
Some DM's say that they can't because they haven't read libris mortis or don't allow it. This ensures that they do and replaces that healing rate if they do (I think they heal faster than this so this is a balancing factor as well).

First I read that and thought "Wait a minute, why do the skeletons have to read Libris Mortis before they can heal?"

2 seconds later: facepalm.jpg

gooddragon1
2011-09-22, 04:56 PM
First I read that and thought "Wait a minute, why do the skeletons have to read Libris Mortis before they can heal?"

2 seconds later: facepalm.jpg

...entwined within the words is a powerful magical effect... (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#tomeofClearThought)

:D

Realms of Chaos
2011-09-22, 08:14 PM
As far as balance goes, I'd say that it really depends on whether this was intended as a race (as the actual link implies) or as a template (as the name of this thread suggests).

If it is a race, it is a pretty darn powerful one. It stinks for anyone who enters melee, of course (-4 Str and no con is baaad) but rocks for everyone else. Compared with a warforged, this guy gets the same AC bonus (from dex bonus and +1 natural armor), some DR, some better fortification, more immunities (including mind-effecting effects), and is surprisingly much easier to heal (unlike warforged that need arcane spells to fix them up, the party cleric could still potentially stitch up a Hollow One. This is a pretty big deal). Especially in combination with the dread necromancer class (unlimited healing without a wasted feat slot), this is likely on the more powerful side of +0 LA (even though you could potentially be turned).

If this thing is a template, however, it may be a bit too powerful. I can't be quite certain but the idea of stacking these benefits upon the bonus feat of a human or onto the racial traits of a Con-reducing race might result in something a tad too powerful (especially as there's no real reason for any non-combatant not to take it other than to be a "face" for the party).

gooddragon1
2011-09-23, 12:10 AM
As far as balance goes, I'd say that it really depends on whether this was intended as a race (as the actual link implies) or as a template (as the name of this thread suggests).

If it is a race, it is a pretty darn powerful one. It stinks for anyone who enters melee, of course (-4 Str and no con is baaad) but rocks for everyone else. Compared with a warforged, this guy gets the same AC bonus (from dex bonus and +1 natural armor), some DR, some better fortification, more immunities (including mind-effecting effects), and is surprisingly much easier to heal (unlike warforged that need arcane spells to fix them up, the party cleric could still potentially stitch up a Hollow One. This is a pretty big deal). Especially in combination with the dread necromancer class (unlimited healing without a wasted feat slot), this is likely on the more powerful side of +0 LA (even though you could potentially be turned).

If this thing is a template, however, it may be a bit too powerful. I can't be quite certain but the idea of stacking these benefits upon the bonus feat of a human or onto the racial traits of a Con-reducing race might result in something a tad too powerful (especially as there's no real reason for any non-combatant not to take it other than to be a "face" for the party).

Not a template. It's a race. I had not thought about being turned... hmm. I think turning would be okay but not commanding or destroying.

EDIT: On second thought, if the cleric is that powerful they deserve to be able to do it. Though I'm giving them a +2 turn resistance.