PDA

View Full Version : Feats for swashbuckler5/dread pirate10/hoardstealer5?

Venger
2011-09-21, 03:55 PM
I am building a character for a friend who is somewhat new to the game but doesn't want to play someone with too many spells due to bookkeeping.

I suggested swashbuckler with the arcane stunt ACF from CM to fit the dr. who theme suggested and it seems to synergyise passibly well:

Swash 1- weapon finesse
1 human- xx
1- quick draw (for dread pirate)
1 (flaw)-xx
1 (flaw)-xx
3-xx
6-xx
9-xx
12-xx
15-xx
18-xx

the build is swashbuckler 5/ (honourable) dread pirate 10/ hoardstealer 5

even though hoardstealer doesn't get the most spells of a prc with spellcasting, that was sort of the new idea since I don't want my new player to be overwhelmed with too many spells, and it was there for flavour and the "deep pockets" ability that lets random objects serve as mini-bags of holding.

what feats would be good for this build? the game starts friday (at level 4) so the early ones would be best, but what is good for later? dread pirate gets 2 weapon fighting as a free feat at first level, are the other two TWF feats worth getting for the lvl 6 and 9 slots?

the direction the player wants to go in is more skills/roleplay oriented than magic oriented, what would be a good place to start?

Elboxo
2011-09-21, 06:50 PM
6 and beyond: Get leadership and get a boat! Have your crew, boat and name feared around the globe!
Get your cohorts to get leadership! Start a pirate army!
Get their cohorts to get leadership! Start a pirate empire!
Get wild cohorts at later levels! Try convince your DM to allow you to get a kraken!
Use leadership to get a psion parrot!
Use the skill trick Never Outnumbered! Max out Intimidation, take some intimidation buffing feats, so that when you enter combat you demoralize everyone into running away from you, those that don't get slaughtered by your kraken/parrot/pirate army
Buy ever-full mugs of beer! Drink yourself into a stupor to reconcile over the evil deeds you just commited!

Venger
2011-09-21, 06:54 PM
I like your style!

Dread pirate even gives leadership for free as its capstone, and I have indeed turned my player onto the joy of "Never Outnumbered." that's just what we're gonna do!

hex0
2011-09-21, 07:35 PM
This is the third time I suggested it today, but Trapsmith 1/Swiftblade 4 would probably be better than hoardstealer 5. Youll have plenty of easy storage by level 15. Id expect.

have you consider a daring outlaw entry to Dread Pirate? Rogue 3/Swaskbuckler 3?

edit: But as feats go. Flick of the Wrist would be nice.

hex0
2011-09-22, 04:06 PM
I like your style!

Dread pirate even gives leadership for free as its capstone, and I have indeed turned my player onto the joy of "Never Outnumbered." that's just what we're gonna do!

It doesn't say what happens if you already have leadership though? Maybe an increased leadership score?

Venger
2011-09-22, 06:05 PM
It doesn't say what happens if you already have leadership though? Maybe an increased leadership score?

I would imagine you get to pick a different feats you meet the prerequisites for as is usually the case if a PrC gives a bonus feat as a class feature and the player already has it.

or, since it only gives cohorts and if you did have leadership prior to this, then you'll get the normal number of followers per your level and double the number of cohorts, which is kind of like if you had an increase in your leadership score but much better

Socratov
2011-09-23, 06:00 AM
I would imagine you get to pick a different feats you meet the prerequisites for as is usually the case if a PrC gives a bonus feat as a class feature and the player already has it.

or, since it only gives cohorts followersand if you did have leadership prior to this, then you'll get the normal number of followers level cohort per your level and double the number of cohorts followers, which is kind of like if you had an increase in your leadership score but much better

fixed that for ya :smallwink:

anyway, i had a dreadpirate, with leadership, with his own ship (though the cohortchaining didn't work beause the DM wouldn't allow it) and be sure you don't go beyond the leadershipscore of 25, because without epic leadership you won't get anything (yes, followers are capped until you go into epic leadership). even better is this, get a 1lvl dip into something decent and ignore the capstone for Dread Pirate.

Venger
2011-09-23, 01:28 PM

anyway, i had a dreadpirate, with leadership, with his own ship (though the cohortchaining didn't work beause the DM wouldn't allow it) and be sure you don't go beyond the leadershipscore of 25, because without epic leadership you won't get anything (yes, followers are capped until you go into epic leadership). even better is this, get a 1lvl dip into something decent and ignore the capstone for Dread Pirate.

whoops! sorry about that, mixed up the words since leadership is pretty infrequently allowed. thanks for the correction

Cog
2011-09-23, 07:36 PM
In general, having a feat twice is the same as having it once.
The ability to trade a bonus feat if you already bought it the hard way is the exception, and is called out in the cases you can do so. It's not the default.

Elboxo
2011-09-23, 10:25 PM

Good idea! A level dip in like bard or something would allow for more a more charismatic/leader type pirate, everyone loves bard buffs too

hex0
2011-09-24, 12:51 AM
Good idea! A level dip in like bard or something would allow for more a more charismatic/leader type pirate, everyone loves bard buffs too

Can you substitute Bard for Dragon Shaman for the stacking of dread pirate? Preferably one that has water breathing? :smallcool:

ranagrande
2011-09-24, 01:28 AM
The Pirate King ability is not actually Leadership. It just gives you followers as if you had Leadership.

If you actually do have Leadership too, then you'll get a cohort and (subject to some interpretation) twice as many followers.

hex0
2011-09-24, 01:49 AM
The Pirate King ability is not actually Leadership. It just gives you followers as if you had Leadership.

If you actually do have Leadership too, then you'll get a cohort and (subject to some interpretation) twice as many followers.

So...the 10th level isn't that great?