PDA

View Full Version : Spell Parry?

shadow_archmagi
2011-09-21, 04:26 PM
So, Spell Reflection says that if a spell that requires an attack roll misses you, it targets the original user.

Wall of Blades says make an attack roll and use that as your AC against an incoming melee or ranged attack.

Can you use Wall of Blades to block, and then reflect, a ray attack, A La Zelda?

Flickerdart
2011-09-21, 04:28 PM
Don't see why not.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-09-21, 04:37 PM
It could be ruled that Wall of Blades is only useful when someone uses a melee or ranged (full) attack action (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#attack) against you, making it useless versus spells that make an attack roll.

It is a brilliant idea, though.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-09-21, 04:39 PM
I think the wording of Wall of Blade just mentions an attack (which IIRC is any action that involves an attack roll) so a spell which targets AC such as an Orb of X can be parried with Wall of Blades.

shadow_archmagi
2011-09-21, 05:50 PM
It could be ruled that Wall of Blades is only useful when someone uses a melee or ranged (full) attack action (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#attack) against you, making it useless versus spells that make an attack roll.

It is a brilliant idea, though.

I think the wording of Wall of Blade just mentions an attack (which IIRC is any action that involves an attack roll) so a spell which targets AC such as an Orb of X can be parried with Wall of Blades.

Biff, how would you call it, from a strictly legal standpoint? And also, from an actual "Would this break the game? Would it make my players happy?" standpoint.

NOTE: I'm the GM in this case, but I like to do things by the book when possible. Also, my players will be TOBbing it up soon, so I'll want to make sure they know about this option too. I think I'll let them know about it by having someone reflect a ray of stupidity.

King Atticus
2011-09-21, 06:19 PM

It would work on rays just fine but it specifically says 'If an enemy misses with a spell or spell-like ability aimed at you,' which would specifically make it not work for the Orb line. Because (iirc) the Orbs created are non-magical matter, it's the same reason SR doesn't work on them and they can be thrown into an AMF.

shadow_archmagi
2011-09-21, 06:33 PM
It would work on rays just fine but it specifically says 'If an enemy misses with a spell or spell-like ability aimed at you,' which would specifically make it not work for the Orb line. Because (iirc) the Orbs created are non-magical matter, it's the same reason SR doesn't work on them and they can be thrown into an AMF.

Already houseruled that the Orb line is evocation and works just like everybody else.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-09-21, 06:47 PM

Even if they are made of non-magical matter they are still spells and therefor subjected to spell reflection. Why they work into AMF is another matter entirely as it is due the Conjuration [Creation] specific rules.

King Atticus
2011-09-21, 08:21 PM
Already houseruled that the Orb line is evocation and works just like everybody else.

There ya go then

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-09-21, 08:35 PM
Rule of Cool says to let this combo work.

Prime32
2011-09-21, 09:11 PM
Both Wall of Blades and Spell Reflection use an immediate action, making it hard to combine them.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-09-21, 09:52 PM
Both Wall of Blades and Spell Reflection use an immediate action, making it hard to combine them.

That diamond mind stance that let's you use two counters per round?

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-21, 10:00 PM
What's Spell Reflection?

olentu
2011-09-21, 10:03 PM
What's Spell Reflection?

As I recall an alternate class feature from complete mage for some classes that trades evasion for redirecting a spell that misses back at the caster.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-09-21, 10:05 PM
ACF which replaces evasion, if a spells fail to hit you, you can send it back to the caster by RAW it only works for monk, rogue, scout and ranger (IIRC)

olentu
2011-09-21, 10:06 PM
ACF which replaces evasion, if a spells fail to hit you, you can send it back to the caster by RAW it only works for monk, rogue, scout and ranger (IIRC)

Yeah those sound like the correct classes.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-21, 10:12 PM
Don't have CMage. That makes a two level feat rogue dip even better!

Dusk Eclipse
2011-09-21, 10:19 PM
I like normal rogue for easy access to Craven myself... but yeah sounds like a great dip for many builds (including swordsage)...

Hmmm Swordsage 4/Feat Rogue 2/

1 Adaptive Style
3 Weapon Finesse
5 Combat Reflexes
6 Martial Study (Wall of blades)
6 Something... Dunno

Use a reach weapon and stay in that Diamond Mind stance which name I can't remeber right now

Big Fau
2011-09-21, 10:21 PM
That diamond mind stance that let's you use two counters per round?

That doesn't work, because neither effect in this topic is a Counter.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-09-21, 10:27 PM
Sadly it is a level 8 stance so you will have to wait, but it says you can use a counter without using your immediate action so you can combine Spell reflection and wall of blades.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-09-21, 11:07 PM
Feat Rogue (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#rogue) 2, the new Warblade dip to get your stances at the right initiator level. It's not until level 18 that you'll be able to get Stance of Alacrity, but definitely a hilarious win against a high level caster with a high damage spell.

In theory, anyway. Any caster at that level should have Ray Deflection up anyway, so it wouldn't actually hit him at all. Melee, nice things, etc.

Keld Denar
2011-09-21, 11:07 PM
Um...Wall of Blades IS a counter.

Big Fau
2011-09-21, 11:50 PM
Um...Wall of Blades IS a counter.

That will teach me not to post while on break from painting my bedroom.

Knaight
2011-09-21, 11:58 PM
Feat Rogue (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#rogue) 2, the new Warblade dip to get your stances at the right initiator level. It's not until level 18 that you'll be able to get Stance of Alacrity, but definitely a hilarious win against a high level caster with a high damage spell.

Or, if dealing with a warlock, you can pull a Link and send all Eldritch Blasts back at them. Which is worth doing in and of itself.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-23, 12:36 PM
Or, if dealing with a warlock, you can pull a Link and send all Eldritch Blasts back at them. Which is worth doing in and of itself.

No no, Link reflected Orbs of Electricity.