PDA

View Full Version : Custom Mystic/Psychic class

Kadajko
2011-09-21, 08:20 PM
Hello everybody. I'm new to the forum, so if this thread is in a wrong place please let me know. :smallsmile:

( Sorry if the grammar is bad, English is not my first language :smallredface: )

So I was thinking about making a new base class and I would like to ask opinions on if it is worth making and if it can be balanced. I know making a new class is a lot of hard work and I will share the basic concepts of what I want to make, before starting to go deep into numbers.

What I want to make is a mystic class that is going be a mix of Wilder and Warlock. First I will explain what I like in general. Also what I don't like, so you understand why I want to make a new class.

I love magic. And what is very important to me is not relying on anything. What that means is that power can be used anytime, does not require somatic or verbal components, does not use weave and is not granted by any greater beings, but is rather a part of the caster himself. Any type of combat besides magic is not necesery and the main thing that magic is focused on is dealing damage or alltering things.

So what I like about both Wilder and Warlock is that they are selfmade casters, though Warlock get's power through pacts and that is not very good. What I don't like about these classes is that they are not magic focused enough and that their damage is resistable by basic means.

So what I would like to make is a class that ( and I need help and advice here) :

1) Has a HD of d4, low bab, no weapon specialization and no armor specialization. Main attribute is Charisma. Has a high will save.

2) Has an ability similar to Eldritch blast. But this ability should have a stronger damage progression than the original eldritch blast and should have a damage type that is not a subject to resistance or immunity, and by that I mean that it is a damage type of it's own, so universal/supernatural resistance to damage in general would work. ( let's call it Mystic Blast )

Because MB is stronger than EB it should be limited. This brings me to the point when I add Power points to the class, similar to psionics, so that MB takes PP each use and is limited. For my character to not resort to non-magic combat MB can also be used further at the cost of health and/or constitution instead of PP, but the damage cannot be healed by any means except rest.

3) Has no spell book, all it's features are in feats.

5) Has access to Telekinesis and Telepathy, that also progress with level and require PP to use. And can also be used at the cost of health.

6) Has other features and varieties for MB and abilities. But varieties of MB shapes and extra effects like stun for example are feats. Varieties of Telekinesis and Telepathy uses, besides moving things and communication, like flight or charm for example are also feats. Other feats include supernatural permanent buffs and PP improves.

7) Has other feat list somewhat similar to Warlock and Wilder. Has class skills similar to Warlock and Wilder.

So high Charisma will be needed for superior class feats, Telepathy checks and PP. And Dexterity will be required for MB and Telekenesis touch attacks.

So what do you think about the class concept? Maybe I should add aa spell/power book? Maybe both MB and psychical powers are too much? I really want to make it balanced. :smalltongue: