PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Barbarian

Tr011
2011-09-21, 09:03 PM
I wanna build a Barbarian without any AC at level 14. So here's the start:

I take Exiled Dwarf (dragon #320, grants +2 con, -2 cha and one Feat) and Half-Minotaur (#313, +8 Str, -2 Dex, +6 Con, Large, LA+1)

Classes will be like Barbarian 1/Fighter 1/somewhat 1/Crusader 1/something else 1/Hellreaver 2/Bear Warrior 1/Warshaper 3/Warblade 1/Fighter +1

Barbarian with the ACF for Pounce.
Basically, this means I get +4 Con, +4 Str, extra str in rage, the ability to heal 2+Cha times/encounter 10hp as a swift action, I also get some useful Maneuvers like Iron Heart Surge. BAB is +11, Fortitude is very high, Reflex is at dex+1+int, Will save con+4.

Feats (no flaws or traits allowed):
Power Attack (L1), Endurance (Race), Track (Template) Steadfast Determination for Con-->Will (Fighter), Combat Reflexes (L3), Mage Slayer (L6), Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Minotaur Great Hammer), Robilar's Gambit (second Fighter Feat)

I thought I'll use Wrathful Healing (E&A 20) to heal the damage I deal.

What I need so far is:
- two decent levels at level 3 and 5 with full BAB.
- Another free feat.
- Some sort of concealment (a passive miss changes vs. all enemies).
- A boost to my Reflex save (Will save would also be nice).
- A little boost to damage would be nice, too (no need for a multiplier).

Flickerdart
2011-09-21, 09:11 PM
A Minor Cloak of Displacement gives you a flat 20% miss chance for a reasonable price. You also appear to lack Shock Trooper, the #1 feat for 0 AC Barbarians.

Zaq
2011-09-21, 09:36 PM
Yeah, just take Improved Bull Rush (prereq) and Shock Trooper with your two free feats, and you've got 0 AC with no problem. (Hell, I think AC can even go into the negatives, can't it?)

TheCountAlucard
2011-09-21, 09:44 PM
Hell, I think AC can even go into the negatives, can't it?I've not seen anything to indicate otherwise, and seeing how you can get negative results for rolls, it wouldn't really be fair to deny negative AC. :smallconfused:

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-09-21, 09:51 PM
Put Fighter levels in those open levels, and at Fighter 2 get Dungeoncrasher from Dungeonscape. That still gives you a Fighter feat to gain Robilar's Gambit at the same level you've got it.

Your open feats should be Improved Bull Rush and Knock-Back from Races of Stone. Get the Feathered Wings graft from the Fiend Folio for 10,000 gp, and a Pectoral of Maneuverability from the Draconomicon for 12,000 gp, and you've got a fly speed with good maneuverability so you can hover above opponents and Dungeoncrash them against the ground. It also allows you to perform a dive attack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#fly) which updates in RotW and RotD allow you to do with any piercing weapon.

The Agility weapon property in OA gives up to a +6 Resistance bonus to Reflex saves for 18,000 gp whenever the weapon is held. The Displacement weapon property also from OA costs 100,000 gp and gives you the benefits of a Displacement spell (50% miss chance) whenever the weapon is held, though that's a bit difficult to afford at that level. Check out this list (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187851) for suggestions on which items to gain for necessary effects.

Tr011
2011-09-21, 09:52 PM
Shock Trooper is nice, but first, it's a sort of way I don't intend to go (don't wanna charge all the time). If I can't charge in any situation (like beeing close to an enemy, having difficult terrain...) I couldn't charge anyway. And depending on how you read Shock Trooper, it's maybe only for the first attack after a charge (that's one of three or more).

Anyone got suggestions for base classes or Prestige Classes with low prerequisites?

/edit: Dungeon Crasher sounds nice, but I don't really like Bull Rush (my last barbarian almost never used it). I also don't like Fighter above level 2, it feels like kinda waste... And my saves would be higher if I multiclass a bit more.
And just remembered that I need Exotic Weapon Proficiency for my weapon, so I only got one feat free.

And thanks for these items, wings & displacement are great.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-09-21, 11:02 PM
Knock-Back gives you a free bull rush check every time you hit, so it's no extra effort. Knock-Back plus Dungeoncrasher is just free damage.

Tr011
2011-09-22, 08:58 AM
+2 Fighter levels would give multiclass penalty :/
Any other good +1 BAB class? I thought about ranger, but they give no good class feature and only d8 hp.

Telonius
2011-09-22, 09:37 AM
+2 Fighter levels would give multiclass penalty :/
Any other good +1 BAB class? I thought about ranger, but they give no good class feature and only d8 hp.

Ranger is usually a good call. An important class feature isn't listed at level one, but given nonetheless: a spell list. This means you can use a wand of any Ranger spell without having to UMD it, and makes it a whole lot easier to use a Scroll without UMD. (You still have to decipher the writing and make a caster level check).

Favored Enemy can be nice, too, if you know you're going up against a lot of a specific type of foe.