PDA

View Full Version : A new spin on Barbarians... Animalism?!

Ralasha
2011-09-21, 09:07 PM
This will be an attempt at taking two classes that could be viewed as 'barbaric' and combining them in a balanced manner that will allow players a multitude of options for play style with a single character.
The two classes in question are the Totem Barbarian, and obviously, the Druid. This class will feature few of the abilities of either class, and what abilities it does share with them will be refined and honed.
As an example, instead of going 'congratulations, you are now high enough level to suddenly be capable of becoming animals' this class will gradually move in that direction.
It's variant on wild shape will not be wild shape, at least initially, nor will it be limited to animals alone, per-say. Instead it will gradually gain the abilities of whatever totem it chooses.
Case in point: All Wild Barbarians gain the ability to use a number of Animalism Manifestations equal to their constitution modifier per day. The Wild Barbarian gains more powerful abilities it may gain access to as it gains levels. A level 1 Wild Barbarian (Tiger) Would be able to choose from the following: Claws, Darkvision and Lowlight Vision, or Scent and Tracking. Lets say it picks Darkvision and Lowlight Vision.
At Level 2, it would be able to choose between Scent and Tracking, or Claws, or Fur. Each time you pick a mutator, you gain access to higher versions of those mutators. If it had picked claws, it would have gained access to claws and fangs. (Each higher level mutator has prerequisites.)

please note: keep in mind I am still fleshing it out and working out kinks with my PnP players. It is nearly finished, but not yet polished, sharpened or refined, and will require a lot of work even after it is finished.

Hit Dice: D12

Skills: (4+Int Mod)x4 at first level and 4+Int Mod per level after 1st.
Class Skills:
(Minor Moderate, Major and Mastery refer to Animalistic Manifestations known.)
{table]Level | BAB | FS | RS | WS | Special | Minor | Moderate | Major | Mastery
1 | +1 | +2 | +0 | +2 | Animalistic Nature, First Omen | 1 | 0 | 0 | 0
2 | +2 | +3 | +0 | +3 | Second Omen | 2 | 0 | 0 | 0
3 | +3 | +3 | +1 | +3 | Third Omen, Speak with Animals | 3 | 0 | 0 | 0
4 | +4 | +4 | +1 | +4 | Fourth Omen | 3 | 1 | 0 | 0
5 | +5 | +4 | +1 | +4 | Intrinsic Instinct | 4 | 1 | 0 | 0
6 | +6 | +5 | +2 | +5 | Feral Senses | 4 | 2 | 0 | 0
7 | +7 | +5 | +2 | +5 | First Spirit Aspect | 5 | 2 | 0 | 0
8 | +8 | +6 | +2 | +6 | Natural Kinship | 5 | 3 | 0 | 0
9 | +9 | +6 | +3 | +6 | First Omen Advancement | 5 | 3 | 1 | 0
10 | +10 | +7 | +3 | +7 | Animalistic Power | 5 | 4 | 1 | 0
11 | +11 | +7 | +3 | +7 | Second Omen Advancement | 5 | 4 | 2 | 0
12 | +12 | +8 | +4 | +8 | | 5 | 5 | 2 | 0
13 | +13 | +8 | +4 | +8 | Third Omen Advancement | 5 | 5 | 3 | 0
14 | +14 | +9 | +4 | +9 | | 5 | 5 | 3 | 1
15 | +15 | +9 | +5 | +9 | Fourth Omen Advancement | 5 | 5 | 4 | 1
16 | +16 | +10 | +5 | +10 | | 5 | 5 | 4 | 2
17 | +17 | +10 | +5 | +10 | | 5 | 5 | 5 | 2
18 | +18 | +11 | +6 | +11 | Omen Mastery | 5 | 5 | 5 | 3
19 | +19 | +11 | +6 | +11 | Omen Mastery | 5 | 5 | 5 | 4
20 | +20 | +12 | +6 | +12 | Natural Perfection | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5[/table]

Armor and Weapon Proficiency: Medium and Light Armor and Shields except for tower shields. All Simple and Martial Weapons.

Animalistic Nature: This term is used loosely, since no two peoples inner animals are ever exactly the same. They are not even always animals. This class feature determines what benefits the character will gain from it's Omens.

For the purposes of this post, I will be using only one pre-made animal in order to simplify the example for future examination and deliberation.

Tiger Animalism Explanation of Omens Omens are physical traits that have a very real effect on the character. Which Omens are gained further determine which Animalistic Qualities the character is capable of pulling out. For purposes of simplifying this process, I will only be adding a single line of Omens.

First Omen (Ex): Predatory Sensory: The character gains a +2 bonus to spot listen and survival for the purposes of Tracking a target. The characters eyes and ears become catlike in outline.

Second Omen (Ex): Scenting (Predatory Sensory 2): The characters nose and mouth merge slightly, gaining what looks like the beginnings of a muzzle. The character gains the Scent Feat, and subsequently the Track feat.

Third Omen (Ex): Bestial Vision: The characters eyes take on a predatory look, much like that of a large cat, including slitted pupils and coloring. The character gains Low-Light Vision, and an additional +2 to spot and a +2 to survival and search.

Fourth Omen (Ex): Apex Sensory: The character gains darkvision 60' and may take a 10 on skill rolls related to tracking or hunting, even when conditions would normally prevent this. The character may additionally track at full speed, and only suffers the lesser penalty for tracking at normal speed when tracking at a run.

((That is an example of the Omens available, you'll notice that they all feed into each other. Your character can of course, intermingle different omen types, however, this may limit its effectiveness later, since it won't be able to master an omen below second. Other Omen lines include abilities more similar to a druids animal companion.))

Speak with Animals (Su): The character is now capable of speaking with animals at will, as the druid spell, as a Druid of the character's level..

Intrinstic Instinct (Ex): The character is becoming close enough to it's spirit animal that it can now sense things around it that are supernatural in nature, such as undead and lychanthropes, or extremely powerful magic.

Feral Senses: The character may now make passive rolls and take 10's on spot and listen. This represents the characters heightened survival insticts.

First Spirit Aspect: The character may now bring out it's animal spirit, and integrate it into itself. The character takes on an exagerated hybrid form, more (base race) than animal, but with obvious animal traits. (As a Tiger it gains a +4 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +4 Constitution, +20 Movement, +8 Spot, Listen, Survival. Claws, and Fangs. (please note, it is possible to gain bonuses to this earlier through Omens. This uses a charge of Animalism.)

Natural Kinship: The character is always considered one step towards friendly, up to devoted for purposes of interacting with animals of its kind. (Tiger Animalist has bonuses with Felines, Wolf Animalist has Bonus with any wolves/dogs.)

First Omen Advancement: The character's first omen becomes more potent, they gain double the skill bonuses from this omen. If it does not grant a skill bonus, they instead increase it's effects by one step, damage dice by one size category, or primary attribute by 1, in example, damage reduction or natural armor, improves by 1. The bonuses provided by this ability improve every three levels after this is gained. Remember multiplication does not make the double a quadruple, but a triple.

Animalistic Power: The character gains permanent racial statistical bonuses as they begin to change more rapidly. (Tiger gains +2 strength, dex and con.)

Second Omen Advancement: The character's Second Omen improved in a similar manner to the first omen. (In this instance, the character gains the ability to distinguish between individuals by scent.)

Third Omen Advancement: The character's Third Omen improves in a similar manner to the second and first omens. (In this instance, low-light vision range doubles, along with the skill bonuses.)

Fourth Omen Advancement: The character's Fourth Omen improves "...". (In this instance, the character may take 20's on the relevant skill checks, and the Darkvision extends out to 120' or becomes color, instead of B&W.)

Omen Mastery: The character may select any second or higher rank Omen which the character possesses, and advance it an additional step, or may select any fifth rank Omen.

Natural Perfection: The character's type changes to the type as their spirit's inspiration. (In this case, Animal) In addition, the character gains the subtype shapeshifter, and may electively activate or Supress any Omens or Animalisms at will. The character may also chose to take on an animal form, remaining it's original size, or changing its size for two uses in a day. If the creature is larger, (Such as a dire bear) the character may spend charges to increase its size up to that of its animal. Animals of the appropriate types are always considered friendly towards the character unless the character does something that would anger family. (A tiger can walk into a lion den and will be left unscathed.)

NeoSeraphi
2011-09-21, 09:09 PM
Does the Animalist (Is that it's name?) get an animal companion?

Edit: What about Wild Empathy? Does it receive bonuses on Handle Animal/Ride checks?

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-21, 09:10 PM
I think this is called Totem Rager.

Ralasha
2011-09-21, 09:11 PM
No, this class doesn't rage. Yes, it gains an animal companion. It does gain a version of wild empathy, yes.

I haven't finished fleshing it out yet.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-21, 09:14 PM
No, this class doesn't rage.

Alright, then it's called a totemist.

Ralasha
2011-09-21, 09:15 PM
Nope, this class isn't a totemist. You'll see.

NeoSeraphi
2011-09-21, 09:16 PM
Alright, then it's called a totemist.

At first I was going to say Swift was being harsh, but he's got a point...if this is supposed to be a combination of the barbarian and druid but without rage, then what exactly are we looking at here? I mean, if it's gaining animalistic characteristics for a set period of time while "raging", that's basically a weaker version of wildshape (and weaker versions of wildshape are generally at-will, see Shapeshift druid and...well...totemist)

Ralasha
2011-09-21, 09:30 PM
I do actually test run things before I post them.
As I said, I am fleshing it out, a gaming session just ended, and I worked out a couple of the kinks today. I usually post the topics when I think I am close to having it good enough to be posted on the forum, in a day or two it should be up.

I'll give you an example, so you'll stop calling it other classes.
One of the low level mutations gives statistical bonuses dependent upon your 'inner animal'.
A mid-level one gives permanent bonuses, another mid-level one gives better temporary bonuses, a high level one gives those as a permanent bonus and another high level one gives higher temporary bonuses.
There is a second level one which gives a total of +4 to stats. It does not cause any penalties, it does not cause a lack of control.

Rage by definition is an emotional state which makes rational thinking more difficult.
This class doesn't rage, it gradually becomes more like the animal until it becomes a hybrid.
An actual Hybrid, alternatively the character may end up becoming more similar to a shifter, or Lychanthrope, or it may become a (base race) with animal characteristics.
This is all Depending on how the character is built.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-21, 09:36 PM
Well, I'll give it the benefit of doubt until I see it.

Ralasha
2011-09-22, 04:19 AM
please reread my previous post, you probably missed a lot of it.

Initial Post is updated with the beginnings of the class (that I am currently comfortable sharing.)

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-22, 09:46 PM
What are the "animalistic manifestations"? Are they yet to come?

Ralasha
2011-09-22, 09:52 PM
Yes, they are yet to come. As is the list of 'animals' which are categorized by type.
Animals (Predators, Prey, Scavengers, Defenders, Stalkers, etc.)
Dragons (Fire, Water, Wind, Earth, Metal, Wood, Light, Darkness, etc.)
Insects (Builders, Soldiers, Thinkers, Workers, Watchers, etc.)
Magical Beasts

NeoSeraphi
2011-09-22, 09:58 PM
Yes, they are yet to come. As is the list of 'animals' which are categorized by type.
Animals (Predators, Prey, Scavengers, Defenders, Stalkers, etc.)
Dragons (Fire, Water, Wind, Earth, Metal, Wood, Light, Darkness, etc.)
Insects (Builders, Soldiers, Thinkers, Workers, Watchers, etc.)
Magical Beasts

Insects are officially called "vermin" in 3.5, just so you know.

Ralasha
2011-09-22, 10:01 PM
Awesome, but sorry, Arachnids and Insects are very different, and will be treated so by this class, even if the end result is both of them change type to vermin.

Metahuman1
2011-09-23, 06:27 PM
Yeah, um, honestly, it doesn't feel very druidic too me. I feels like a mess of Barbarian, Totemest, and Ranger. Mostly Totemest. I know, you weren't going for that, and I'm not trying to be mean, but there it is. Needs more work I'd say.

I know, I'm sorry. Trying to be helpful.

How about these ideas. Give it an ability to have natural weapons at the get go, and keep advancing them so that they will stay relevant, and encourage the player to use them. Then maybe add in addition to what ever your using as a sub for rage the ability to cast spells of the druids list. Make it spontaneous casting as a sorcerer, including the limited spells know, and then make it only up to, say, fourth or fifth level spells. Just barely strong enough to matter if you pick smart, but it shouldn't break the game too much, particularly compared to a full caster.

Just a couple of thoughts off the top of my head, hope they help. :smallsmile:

Ralasha
2011-09-23, 07:15 PM
As I said, I only included one line of abilities for now. You are talking about something which hasn't been completed yet, and I even said in the post it requires work, and should be a while before it's completed.

Metahuman1
2011-09-23, 07:33 PM
Ok, ok, I'm sorry. Just trying too help.

GirlWithASword
2011-09-23, 11:15 PM
umm I don't mean to anger the homebrew gods but this class sounds an awful like a 3.0 prc called animal lord from masters of the wild :smallfrown:

Ralasha
2011-09-24, 12:52 AM
Actually, I've used Animal Lord. That's an enhanced Druid, without spellcasting. It was a lot of fun running around with two Legendary Gorilla companions.

drakir_nosslin
2011-09-24, 04:44 AM
You should list the advancements along with the omen instead of writing it out in the text. It looks messy.
How do you know how many 'charges' of animalism you got? I can't find it anywhere.

Ralasha
2011-09-24, 05:08 AM
It isn't completed. Everything will be posted when it is completed to my satisfaction. I do not post more than an example unless its entirety is completed, and has been play tested for balance.

The Omen do not advance in a manner that would be easy to 'table' unless I made about... 15-20 tables. Text will do, though once entirely fleshed out, it will be better organized. Each omen has multiple advancement routes, so I could possibly end up having to make one table for each omen, however, I was estimating the 15-20 on the idea that I could put four or five on each table.
Omen include: Sensory (Darkvision, tremor sense, greater darkvision, blindsense, blind sight, scent, lifesense, deathsense, etc), movement (Jump, climb, swim, fly, tumble, burrow, speed, etc.), environmental (gills, energy resistances/immunities, regeneration, etc), and social (Beauty, language comprehension, additional class skills, gaze attacks, social standing, etc) all represented by permanent physical changes.

You don't get 'charges' of animalism. You get bonuses and penalties while they are active, primarily social, but in some cases: Environmental, skill based, action based, health based, movement based, spellcasting (If you're a spellcaster) etc.
Please also note that the bonuses you gain from these stack with the bonuses from Omen.
At level 20, it could be possible to convince a god to marry you, though you would totally suck at everything else, and would not be able to survive the journey to meet said god. One of my players got carried the entire way by the rest of the party, just because they wanted to see it happen... meta-gamers. He would have succeeded too, if he hadn't rolled low (I'm not going to tell you how low).
Alternatively, you could build a planeswalker, able to survive in any environment (with difficulty), but suck at pretty much everything else.
Or you could be a complete battle beast, able to fight the terrasque by yourself and survive the first several rounds (Though you would never kill it, because that would require the wish spell).
Or you could be an animal lord, having several individuals that follow you as cohortal companions. Though... most people would probably close the city gates when they see someone leading a tribe of thri-kreen or an entire pride of lions...
Or: etc, the list does go on.... for a long time. Any more critisism you would like to add?

drakir_nosslin
2011-09-24, 06:07 AM
It isn't completed. Everything will be posted when it is completed to my satisfaction. I do not post more than an example unless its entirety is completed, and has been play tested for balance.

And this basically makes it impossible for anyone to give constructive criticism right now.

The Omen do not advance in a manner that would be easy to 'table' unless I made about... 15-20 tables. Text will do, though once entirely fleshed out, it will be better organized. Each omen has multiple advancement routes, so I could possibly end up having to make one table for each omen, however, I was estimating the 15-20 on the idea that I could put four or five on each table.
Omen include: Sensory (Darkvision, tremor sense, greater darkvision, blindsense, blind sight, scent, lifesense, deathsense, etc), movement (Jump, climb, swim, fly, tumble, burrow, speed, etc.), environmental (gills, energy resistances/immunities, regeneration, etc), and social (Beauty, language comprehension, additional class skills, gaze attacks, social standing, etc) all represented by permanent physical changes.

I didn't suggest arranging omens in tables, but the advancement should be put together with the basic omen: e.g
First Omen: crunch
Advancement: crunch

Second Omen: crunch
etc.

This makes it a lot easier to read and comment on.

You don't get 'charges' of animalism. You get bonuses and penalties while they are active, primarily social, but in some cases: Environmental, skill based, action based, health based, movement based, spellcasting (If you're a spellcaster) etc.

Perhaps the class don't get 'charges', but it surely uses them, at least as it is written now.

First Spirit Aspect: The character may now bring out it's animal spirit, and integrate it into itself. The character takes on an exagerated hybrid form, more (base race) than animal, but with obvious animal traits. (As a Tiger it gains a +4 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +4 Constitution, +20 Movement, +8 Spot, Listen, Survival. Claws, and Fangs. (please note, it is possible to gain bonuses to this earlier through Omens. This uses a charge of Animalism.)

Natural Perfection: The character's type changes to the type as their spirit's inspiration. (In this case, Animal) In addition, the character gains the subtype shapeshifter, and may electively activate or Supress any Omens or Animalisms at will. The character may also chose to take on an animal form, remaining it's original size, or changing its size for two uses in a day. If the creature is larger, (Such as a dire bear) the character may spend charges to increase its size up to that of its animal. Animals of the appropriate types are always considered friendly towards the character unless the character does something that would anger family. (A tiger can walk into a lion den and will be left unscathed.)

I suggest you clarify that.

Please also note that the bonuses you gain from these stack with the bonuses from Omen.

As it is written right now everything stacks with everything since you haven't specified witch type of bonuses they gain. (Except in Animalistic Power where you gain racial bonuses.)

At level 20, it could be possible to convince a god to marry you, though you would totally suck at everything else, and would not be able to survive the journey to meet said god. One of my players got carried the entire way by the rest of the party, just because they wanted to see it happen... meta-gamers. He would have succeeded too, if he hadn't rolled low (I'm not going to tell you how low).

This... I'm not sure how to comment on this. Convincing a god to marry is not something that you should build into a class. That's not a mechanical improvement, it's an RP one.
EDIT: Unless you're talking about a diplomancer of course.

Alternatively, you could build a planeswalker, able to survive in any environment (with difficulty), but suck at pretty much everything else.
Or you could be a complete battle beast, able to fight the terrasque by yourself and survive the first several rounds (Though you would never kill it, because that would require the wish spell).
Or you could be an animal lord, having several individuals that follow you as cohortal companions. Though... most people would probably close the city gates when they see someone leading a tribe of thri-kreen or an entire pride of lions...
Or: etc, the list does go on.... for a long time. Any more critisism you would like to add?

Well, I can't comment on the above though all of it sounds interesting, but with no crunch I don't know what to say.

One thing is that if I understand Animalistic Power correctly it depends on what Omen you chose, and as such it should be put at the same place as the rest of the bonuses you gain from the Omen.

Example:
First Omen: crunch

Second Omen: crunch

/.../

Animalistic Power: crunch

Ralasha
2011-09-24, 06:29 AM
Animalisms aren't decided by Omens, what Animalisms are available depends on what creature type your inner spirit is. Which includes Animals, Insects (Ants, Roaches, Grasshoppers, Manti), Arachnids (primarily Scorpions and Spiders), Magical Beasts (Dsiplacer, Fey (Everyone has a little trickster in them <fairy>), etc), Outsiders (Celestial and Demonic animals), Vermin (As in rats and such).
Each spirit type has certain boons to it, along with the boons of specific types, though not picking a specific spirit type has advantages and disadvantages as well.
For instance, picking only animal allows you access to any of the animal based omens or animalisms, but you cannot advance past tier 2, while there are 4 tiers.

drakir_nosslin
2011-09-24, 06:54 AM
Animalisms aren't decided by Omens, what Animalisms are available depends on what creature type your inner spirit is. Which includes Animals, Insects (Ants, Roaches, Grasshoppers, Manti), Arachnids (primarily Scorpions and Spiders), Magical Beasts (Dsiplacer, Fey (Everyone has a little trickster in them <fairy>), etc), Outsiders (Celestial and Demonic animals), Vermin (As in rats and such).
Each spirit type has certain boons to it, along with the boons of specific types, though not picking a specific spirit type has advantages and disadvantages as well.
For instance, picking only animal allows you access to any of the animal based omens or animalisms, but you cannot advance past tier 2, while there are 4 tiers.

In that case you need to clarify that. I can't find that explanation anywhere in this class. Actually, there's a lot that isn't explained in the text. Most abilities would benefit from a clarification.

Ralasha
2011-09-24, 07:25 AM
I put that up because I was getting complaints about the thread not having any... basic information for the class.

In addition, some of what I have said since I edited the groundwork for the class into my initial post has changed, been altered, or expounded upon. I will update it when I find time.
Animals currently fleshed, at least partially: Antelope, Bear, Bull, Cat, Cheetah, Crane, Deer, Dog, Eagle, Elephant, Fish, Fox, Frog, Gazelle, Gorilla, Lion, Lizard, Mammoth, Monkey, Otter, Ox, Penguin, Raven, Rhinoceros, Seal, Shark, Snake, Sparrow, Tiger, Turtle, Whale, Wolf. (And Dire variants, though the Dire variant has yet to be finished. Each of these animals falls into predator/prey/scavenger, each of the previous three descriptors with a set of bonuses/hindrances, and set of additional class skills, each specific animal also has skills. In otherwords, the more specific your spirit type the more skills you have access to. The less specific your spirit type the more omens and animalisms. However, you also lose out on higher level abilities, the more non-specific you are. This gives you a measured balance for going any of the three routes.)

Remember what I'm going for here is an easily adaptable class, with a wide range of potentials.

Also: For me to be making it impossible, you're certainly doing a good job, thank you.