PDA

View Full Version : Metamagic combo question - spell detectability

daemonaetea
2011-09-21, 10:37 PM
I thought of a specific Metamagic combo I have a question about. Specifically, it involves the creation of a caster assassin.

The specific combo is this: Eschew Materials, Silent Spell, Still Spell, and Invisible Spell. This should let a caster use a spell at a +2 level that would be completely undetectable.

My question is, would there be any way for someone to detect a caster using this combo? The idea would be this combo is used by something like an assassin, insinuating himself into a crowd and raining unseeable magical death onto his mark, all without giving any sign that he's the one responsible. Probably a sorcerer with ranks in Bluff for extra measure, though of course it could just as easily be a wizard that carries potions of Glibness.

This combo seems pretty obvious, so I'm betting someone's used it before, but I'm pretty new to D&D overall. If you have heard of it being used before, how useful was it overall?

Tr011
2011-09-21, 10:57 PM
I use this combo myself (without Eschew Materials) but unfortunatly it can be detected.
First of all: Invisible spell makes the spell effects invisible. Anyone with see invisibility or True Seeing can still see your spell effects.
Second: there's a ring (Ring of Spell Battle) that detects automatically all spells cast in 60ft. And allows once/day to counter/divert a spell.

JKTrickster
2011-09-21, 11:00 PM
Remind me what its called, but isn't there a metamagic feat that makes it seem like the spell was cast from a different starting point? Same book as Invisible Spell.

Also Concel Spellcasting from Sleight of Hand works wonders. I think it works the same function as Still and Silent, and saves you that +2 cost.

Optimator
2011-09-22, 12:44 AM
I think Arcane Sight and it's Greater brother would work too.

Elric VIII
2011-09-22, 12:48 AM
Also Concel Spellcasting from Sleight of Hand works wonders. I think it works the same function as Still and Silent, and saves you that +2 cost.

You may be thinking of the Conceal Spellcasting skill trick from Comp Scoundrel. I don't know of any base skill use that does this.

Tr011
2011-09-22, 01:06 AM
You may be thinking of the Conceal Spellcasting skill trick from Comp Scoundrel. I don't know of any base skill use that does this.

Obviously, and it is based on SoH. It works quite well, but you only got 1/encounter :/

olentu
2011-09-22, 01:08 AM

It is races of stone as I recall.

NNescio
2011-09-22, 01:12 AM
I use this combo myself (without Eschew Materials) but unfortunatly it can be detected.
First of all: Invisible spell makes the spell effects invisible. Anyone with see invisibility or True Seeing can still see your spell effects.
Second: there's a ring (Ring of Spell Battle) that detects automatically all spells cast in 60ft. And allows once/day to counter/divert a spell.

Invisible Spell does nothing for the non-visual manifestations of a spell though. Depending on the spell, the caster may still be detected with mundane means. This is highly dependent on DM adjudication, but then again any use of Invisible Spell tends to cause massive DM headaches anyway.

Remind me what its called, but isn't there a metamagic feat that makes it seem like the spell was cast from a different starting point? Same book as Invisible Spell.

Deceptive Spell, also from Cityscape.

Cruiser1
2011-09-22, 07:13 AM
My question is, would there be any way for someone to detect a caster using this combo? The idea would be this combo is used by something like an assassin, insinuating himself into a crowd and raining unseeable magical death onto his mark, all without giving any sign that he's the one responsible.Detect Magic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/detectMagic.htm) (if they're maintaining concentration over the area you're casting upon) will see a spell (although maybe not if your spell duration is instantaneous). If nothing else, when somebody suddenly bursts into flame in the town square, the guards know to start their questioning with the guy who's lit up like a Christmas tree in buffs and magic items.

More important locations like throne rooms are likely to have somebody with Arcane Sight (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/arcaneSight.htm) up at all times, in which case they know you're an arcane/divine caster who can cast spells up to level X. Use Magic Aura (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicAura.htm) to at least hide the magic capabilities of your gear.