PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Polymorph

HMS Invincible
2011-09-22, 02:45 AM
I got my butt kicked by a level dipped shadowdancer1/rogue with poisons and stuff. Apparently nobody in my party has a spot check worth anything, and my glitterdust missed. Now I'm pretty crippled with poisoned food, a tainted spellbook!!!!, and I'm being scryed upon cuz he cut off a lock of hair to thwart me further. That's just some background, but I have a couple options available to me now, mainly polymorph. I thought I could polymorph myself into a form that could beat back said rogue, but the text saddens me.

I've looked up polymorph, and everyone always says turn yourself into a pyrohydra(10HD=caster level). But I noticed that they don't speak, so they can't cast much.
"It also gains all extraordinary special attacks possessed by the form but does not gain the extraordinary special qualities possessed by the new form or any supernatural or spell-like abilities. "
Doesn't that mean I only get the attacks, and none of the fast heal or senses?(scent, lowlight vision, darkvision) And does this mean I keep my abrupt jaunt as a conjurist wizard?

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872134/The_Complete_Polymorph_Thread_3.5?post_id=33843488 6#338434886
I went through this list, and they seem unable to deal with pesky shadowdancers.

Starbuck_II
2011-09-23, 11:15 PM
I got my butt kicked by a level dipped shadowdancer1/rogue with poisons and stuff. Apparently nobody in my party has a spot check worth anything, and my glitterdust missed. Now I'm pretty crippled with poisoned food, a tainted spellbook!!!!, and I'm being scryed upon cuz he cut off a lock of hair to thwart me further. That's just some background, but I have a couple options available to me now, mainly polymorph. I thought I could polymorph myself into a form that could beat back said rogue, but the text saddens me.

I've looked up polymorph, and everyone always says turn yourself into a pyrohydra(10HD=caster level). But I noticed that they don't speak, so they can't cast much.
"It also gains all extraordinary special attacks possessed by the form but does not gain the extraordinary special qualities possessed by the new form or any supernatural or spell-like abilities. "
Doesn't that mean I only get the attacks, and none of the fast heal or senses?(scent, lowlight vision, darkvision) And does this mean I keep my abrupt jaunt as a conjurist wizard?

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872134/The_Complete_Polymorph_Thread_3.5?post_id=33843488 6#338434886
I went through this list, and they seem unable to deal with pesky shadowdancers.

Yes, you can't cast without hands, but you keep class features (abrupt Jaunt) and you get head x attacks. So 10 Headed Hydra (10HD) means 10 attacks. Even with low bab, the Str bonus and multiple attacks means you'll likely hit.

brann miekka
2011-09-27, 02:18 AM
talk to your dm but in savage species theres a feat that lets your spellcasting be a series of yips and snaps, and somatics to be head movements and such, so that might be what you need. think it was supposed to be used for awakened animals or such but this might work.

NNescio
2011-09-27, 03:57 AM
talk to your dm but in savage species theres a feat that lets your spellcasting be a series of yips and snaps, and somatics to be head movements and such, so that might be what you need. think it was supposed to be used for awakened animals or such but this might work.

The Wis 13 requirement does put a damper on things though, and the Wizard would have problems handling material components.

In any case, when a Wizard uses Polymorph to change himself into a nasty nonhumanoid creature, it's generally a "Screw you, I'm done casting" gesture.

brann miekka
2011-09-27, 08:12 PM
The Wis 13 requirement does put a damper on things though, and the Wizard would have problems handling material components.

In any case, when a Wizard uses Polymorph to change himself into a nasty nonhumanoid creature, it's generally a "Screw you, I'm done casting" gesture.

i can definately agree with this, but i actually have a pc in close to this same situation, he used his familiar to bring out the matierial components and then tensers transformationed his polymorh anything balor self right down the BBEG's gullet....it was really REALLY bloody and the party paladin was jsut like "wtf bro?" and the arcane trickster tried to ride him into combat but regardless it was really effective and kinda ruined my climactic boss fight.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-27, 08:24 PM
i can definately agree with this, but i actually have a pc in close to this same situation, he used his familiar to bring out the matierial components and then tensers transformationed his polymorh anything balor self right down the BBEG's gullet....it was really REALLY bloody and the party paladin was jsut like "wtf bro?" and the arcane trickster tried to ride him into combat but regardless it was really effective and kinda ruined my climactic boss fight.

A balor? Weak. Should've turned into a dragon. Fly speed, lots of attacks, and natural armor.