PDA

View Full Version : tome of magic/shadowcaster question

olejars
2011-09-22, 12:46 PM
One of my players wants to do a sorc/shadowcaster/noctumancer build but we've reached an impass with the shadowcaster bonus feats. He belives that he would gain his bonus feats since he gained the bonus feat entry at level two with continuing in the noctumancer prc. I am inlcined to disagree because of the entry text for a noctumancer that states that a character doesn't receive any other benenfits from previous class except for a boost to CL and spells/mysteries know. Which is correct?

ThiefInTheNight
2011-09-22, 12:49 PM
You are correct by RAW.

But I strongly suggest using the player's interpretation as a houserule. The Shadowcaster is quite weak, and a theurge only makes that worse, especially with a Sorcerer (which requires an extra level to meet the pre-reqs). Your player is going to be massively weaker than a straight Sorcerer by a very-large margin, feats or not. Might as well throw him a bone, I say.

peacenlove
2011-09-22, 12:51 PM
Tome of Magic p.117

PRESTIGE CLASS CASTING ADVANCEMENTS
When a shadowcaster gains new casting class levels from advancement within a prestige class, this includes the knowledge of new fundamentals, and the transformation of lower-level path mysteries into spell-like or supernatural abilities. It does not include gaining bonus feats for learning new paths or any other shadowcaster class features.

So he doesn't gain feats. Text shows explicitly what is gained.
My take? Let him have the feats. Nocturmancer is a good class despite needing shadowcaster levels to qualify, not because of them. Also ToM bonus feats are mediocre (Still mystery, Shadow cast, Favored mystery) to bad.

EDIT: Ninja girl avatars... How predictable :smalltongue:

0nimaru
2011-09-22, 12:52 PM
By RAW, you are correct. The feature only triggers on levels in Shadowcaster and is non-functional during levels taken in other classes.

That being said, I'd say it's far more reasonable and not unbalancing to agree with the player. Having to go back and forth between a dual-progression PrC and shadowcaster just so you don't miss out on feats is an oversight.

olejars
2011-09-22, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the input. I'm a very read as written dm and my players know this. I might just throw him a bone here and there.

gorfnab
2011-09-22, 04:08 PM
Take a look at my Compiled Shadowcaster Handbook in my sig. There are some ways to make the Shadowcaster more playable if you have a lenient DM who doesn't mind a few houserules/homebrew.