PDA

View Full Version : Blastsword!

SoliaTera
2011-09-22, 01:03 PM
I would like if you guys would homebrew me a sword which when makes contact explodes and does splash damage but also goes up in damage as lvl increases please and thank you

Debihuman
2011-09-22, 01:41 PM
If it explodes, you would take damage from it too (and it would likely destroy the sword).

Debby

EdroGrimshell
2011-09-22, 01:53 PM
If it explodes, you would take damage from it too (and it would likely destroy the sword).

I think it's based on the first form of Ten Commandments (aka the Decaforce Sword) from Rave Master. It's a blunt sword that causes an explosion when it hits. It does cause damage to the wielder but only because of the recoil from the explosion, and it doesn't destroy itself, only what it hits.

Alrox
2011-09-22, 02:00 PM
Since most magic items don't work that way, we'll have to make this one an artifact.

The Blastsword
Upon removing the blade from its sheathe, the blade smokes ominously. The command word to activate its volatile enchantment is etched on the crossguard in a comical explosion bubble, as if from a child's cartoon.
+3 adamantine greatsword

Upon speaking the command word, The Blastsword deals 2d4 points of explosion damage (half fire, half force) to all creatures within 5 feet of the wielder whenever it successfully damages a creature.
This damage is increased by 1d4 per four character levels of the wielder, and the radius of the explosion increases by 5ft per 5 character levels of the wielder.
The blade itself is immune to damage from the explosion, though it does not grant its wielder this immunity as most enchanted swords do.
On a critical hit, all explosion damage is maximized, and all creatures in the blast radius are knocked away from the source of the explosion by 5 feet (applies to large or smaller creatures only).

SoliaTera
2011-09-22, 02:22 PM
I think it's based on the first form of Ten Commandments (aka the Decaforce Sword) from Rave Master. It's a blunt sword that causes an explosion when it hits. It does cause damage to the wielder but only because of the recoil from the explosion, and it doesn't destroy itself, only what it hits.

Actually its based off of something my friend showed me from some anime called Naruto heres ill link its pretty cool concept
http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Shibuki_%28sword%29

Djinn_in_Tonic
2011-09-22, 02:30 PM
A quick google search revealed this:
http://2.p.s.mfcdn.net/store/manga/8/55-523.0/compressed/fnaruto_523_sleepyfans.13.jpg

Putting aside the fact that it would actually make a really, really bad weapon...

Blastsword
Little more than a club covered with explosives, a Blastsword is a rather dangerous implement.
Exotic Weapon
Damage: 1d10 Bludgeoning damage (20/x3). All creatures except the wielder within 5ft of the target take 2d6 points of Fire damage (Reflex DC 15 for half).
Special: After 25 attacks, a Blastsword loses its additional Fire damage (effectively becoming a Greatclub) until repaired (a DC 20 Alchemy check is required, as well as 10 minutes of work).

Feat: Blastsword Mastery
Requirements: Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Blastsword)
Benefit: Your Blastsword lasts for 50 uses instead of 25. Additionally, the Fire damage increases by 1 for every point of Base Attack Bonus you possess.

Eurus
2011-09-22, 02:42 PM

Debby

Practicality in my D&D? Two words: spiked chain. :smallamused:

Ziegander
2011-09-22, 02:53 PM
If you have access to Player's Handbook II there is the spell Meteoric Strike which seems to do what you're looking for. Of course, the spell itself is terrible, but as a weapon enhancement...

Alrox is right that magic items don't have effects that scale with their users, so an artifact isn't a bad thought.

Of course, you could probably make a Meteoric Strike, use-activated, sword. In theory, the creator of such an item could set the caster level to correspond to the character level of the wielder (such that characters without a high enough character level couldn't activate it). Hmm... the cost for such a weapon would be difficult to determine. The usual cost is Spell Level x Caster Level x 2000gp, so let's call the caster level the mid-point between the minimum and 20. With a Spell Level of 4 that gives us a minimum Caster Level of 7, so the mid-point, rounded up, would be 14, giving us a final cost of 4 x 14 x 2000gp = 112,000gp. This would give you an at-will use activated Meteoric Strike weapon, which at 7th level would deal 2d6 fire damage to a creature struck and 1d6 (reflex half) to all adjacent creatures, and at 20th level would 6d6 fire damage (3d6 to adjacent; reflex half). Pretty pricey, and probably not worth the effect since it the activation would require a swift action and it would only apply to one attack per round. You might be able to haggle with the DM to make it continuous, then I suppose it would be pretty good.

Hanuman
2011-09-22, 04:00 PM
What it sounds like is you want a sword that can do sonic damage.

Because this is a concussion wave, it's either going to be force or sonic and because I actually don't know what force is in DnD (I assume its glowing blue semi-solid weird physics energy), I'm going to assume sonic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABmLd-JfDeU

The cartoony blasts, the ones in movies, where the SFX guys put a garbage bag full of gasoline in the back seat, that make FIREBALLS, if you want a fireball sword just give it a charge like a wand.

Blasting
Price: +1 bonus
Property: Weapon
Caster Level: 10th
Aura: Moderate; (DC 20) conjuration
Activation: Standard (command)

The surface of this weapon looks dark and
pitted, and the blade, point, or head appears
fragile, as if the first blow might break it.
When activated, a blasting weapon gains an
explosive charge. The charge does not harm
you as long as you have the weapon in
hand. The effect persists until you speak
a second command word. A weapon that
has this property deals an extra 1d8 points
of sonic damage on a successful hit.
Projectile weapons bestow this property
upon their ammunition.

Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and
Armor, sound lance, explosive runes, shatter,
implosion, disintegrate or dance of ruin.
Cost to Create: Varies.