PDA

View Full Version : Building Duff man!

Laucorn
2011-09-22, 08:03 PM
This a thought that just randomly popped into my head but what if someone wanted to create Duff man as a character? You know making alcoholic drinks maybe getting some bonus from it, but still being good at combat. Maybe having the "beers" he drinks work like potions and what not. Any ideas and suggestions to make this possible?

Hirax
2011-09-22, 08:06 PM
Have you considered the drunken master from Complete Warrior?

The Dark Fiddler
2011-09-22, 08:06 PM
Duff Man never really did anything, so he'd just be a commoner or something with good stats (and by good I mean slightly above the human average 10, maybe everything around 12?). Drunken Master is pretty much the go-to class for beer-related fighting, but more or less requires monk levels.

Chilingsworth
2011-09-22, 08:07 PM
You'd want some drunken master in there, for sure.

ninja'd.

Laucorn
2011-09-22, 08:18 PM
drunken master was an idea i had but i'm still trying to figure out how to make the beers he drinks magical lol.

The Dark Fiddler
2011-09-22, 08:25 PM
Complete Arcane has some rules about things that function like potions (magical fruits and ceramic tiles are two examples, IIRC). A potion that uses beer as a base shouldn't be that far off.

Ravens_cry
2011-09-22, 08:27 PM
A bard with Preform: Serve Beer?

Laucorn
2011-09-22, 08:30 PM
Seeing as odds are I will be having to make my own since this idea came up when the dm pointed out that the world of the campaign has made alcohol illegal whats a good class for making my own beer based potions?

Worlok
2011-09-22, 08:34 PM
How about Barkeeper (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Barkeeper_%283.5e_Class%29)? Barkeeper, taking some Monk, going Drunken Master, all stats crappy. Or just straight up Bkp. - This could work. :smalltongue:

Chilingsworth
2011-09-22, 08:36 PM
Seeing as odds are I will be having to make my own since this idea came up when the dm pointed out that the world of the campaign has made alcohol illegal whats a good class for making my own beer based potions?

Well, artificer is a good class for making just about anything, but... I'm guessing he's not going to be smart enough to make a good artificer. Maybe cleric? A Monk/Cleric/Drunken Master/Sacred Fist build might be doable, if you limmited your self to minimum dips in monk and drunken master. Still wouldn't particularly powerful, but might work?

Laucorn
2011-09-22, 08:39 PM
Well, artificer is a good class for making just about anything, but... I'm guessing he's not going to be smart enough to make a good artificer. Maybe cleric? A Monk/Cleric/Drunken Master/Sacred Fist build might be doable, if you limmited your self to minimum dips in monk and drunken master. Still wouldn't particularly powerful, but might work?

Well the stats I rolled for this weren't that bad not as good as some of the other characters I've done but decent. They where 13, 13, 14, 15, 16, 18 and I can put them anywhere I want.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-09-22, 08:43 PM
Fistbeard Beardfist (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6401766&postcount=1) might serve as inspiration

Chilingsworth
2011-09-22, 08:44 PM
Well the stats I rolled for this weren't that bad not as good as some of the other characters I've done but decent. They where 13, 13, 14, 15, 16, 18 and I can put them anywhere I want.

It wasn't the available stats I was thinking of so much, as my impression that the character you're trying to mimic is'd that smart, did I misremember the character?

In any case, if a high intelligence fits your concept, then artificer would definately do the job of getting your brews enchanted. You could also make things like magical beer hats and other drinking accessories!

Laucorn
2011-09-22, 08:48 PM
It wasn't the available stats I was thinking of so much, as my impression that the character you're trying to mimic is'd that smart, did I misremember the character?

In any case, if a high intelligence fits your concept, then artificer would definately do the job of getting your brews enchanted. You could also make things like magical beer hats and other drinking accessories!

Hehe magical beer drinking accessories X3 I like it So lets see so far we got monk, drunken master, and Artificer hmmm that might work.

Mr.Bookworm
2011-09-22, 08:51 PM
Truenamer 20.

His shorthand Truename is the word "duff". He uses gate to pull in models and materials from the Semielemental Plane of Beer.

Laucorn
2011-09-22, 08:56 PM
Truenamer 20.

His shorthand Truename is the word "duff". He uses gate to pull in models and materials from the Semielemental Plane of Beer.

ROLF somehow I doubt the DM would let that fly. Still not a bad idea either.

In the show Duff man the character was stupid but one of his actors was actually really intelligent in the show when he took off his duff man costume only to be killed later.

The Dark Fiddler
2011-09-22, 08:56 PM

I don't think Duff Man was particularly smart, but I don't think he was dumb, either. He is, however, physically fit and charismatic (he is a spokesman after all).

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-22, 09:03 PM

The dwarves, normally only taking up arms at threats to their homeland, have learned of this from a wandering human who had made his way there begging for alcohol. They rally adventurers from all over the lands, and storm the holdings of the tyrant who banned alcohol.

Laucorn
2011-09-22, 09:10 PM
The dwarves, normally only taking up arms at threats to their homeland, have learned of this from a wandering human who had made his way there begging for alcohol. They rally adventurers from all over the lands, and storm the holdings of the tyrant who banned alcohol.

Yeah sadly that is probably what would happen lol.

Chilingsworth
2011-09-22, 09:31 PM
Hehe magical beer drinking accessories X3 I like it So lets see so far we got monk, drunken master, and Artificer hmmm that might work.

Ok, a rough build idea:

monk (ex-monk? depending if you want the alignment freedom/don't plan on taking more monk)
Artificer
Drunken Master

Ok, the build: ex monk 2/ Artificer 3/ drunken master 1/ artificer X

Feats: (H) able learner, (1st) great fortitude, (3rd) dodge, bonus monk feats, bonus artificer feats, other slots open.

Abilities: Str 13, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 18, Wis 15, Cha 13

Able learner will let you get the tumble ranks you need by level 5 and also keep up your vital UMD and other artificer skills. You could take up to nine levels of drunken master, but the capstone (basically lets you breathe fire when you have booze in your system) doesn't seem like a good fit, so stay away from level 10. Also, note that excessive use of booze will rapidly reduce your intelligence score (by 2 points per drink, up to a maximum number of drinks equal to your drunken master level,) rendering your artificer infusions useless. The drinks will increase your strength and con by the same amount, however.

How I would play the character: in your spare time, build beer-related magic items. In combat, abstain from drinking your brew until you've run out of infusions, then drink up and go to town with whatever comes to hand, using your improvised weapons.

EDIT: This is, obviously, a very rough sketch of a build. It's my first real attempt to offer build advice. Usually, I'm the one seeking such advice.

Laucorn
2011-09-22, 09:36 PM
Ok, a rough build idea:

monk (ex-monk? depending if you want the alignment freedom/don't plan on taking more monk)
Artificer
Drunken Master

Ok, the build: ex monk 2/ Artificer 3/ drunken master 1/ artificer X

Feats: (H) able learner, (1st) great fortitude, (3rd) dodge, bonus monk feats, bonus artificer feats, other slots open.

Abilities: Str 13, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 18, Wis 15, Cha 13

Able learner will let you get the tumble ranks you need by level 5 and also keep up your vital UMD and other artificer skills. You could take up to nine levels of drunken master, but the capstone (basically lets you breathe fire when you have booze in your system) doesn't seem like a good fit, so stay away from level 10. Also, note that excessive use of booze will rapidly reduce your intelligence score (by 2 points per drink, up to a maximum number of drinks equal to your drunken master level,) rendering your artificer infusions useless. The drinks will increase your strength and con by the same amount, however.

How I would play the character: in your spare time, build beer-related magic items. In combat, abstain from drinking your brew until you've run out of infusions, then drink up and go to town with whatever comes to hand, using your improvised weapons.

EDIT: This is, obviously, a very rough sketch of a build. It's my first real attempt to offer build advice. Usually, I'm the one seeking such advice.

This actually seems like a pretty fun and decent build :)

Socratov
2011-09-23, 04:04 AM
How about Barkeeper (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Barkeeper_%283.5e_Class%29)? Barkeeper, taking some Monk, going Drunken Master, all stats crappy. Or just straight up Bkp. - This could work. :smalltongue:

awesome! I really wanna play this! (totally unrelated to my work as a bartender)

go barkeeper, and hit the DM with your laptop if he says you can't go drunken master, if anyone should level it, it's a barkeeper. (it's not op, but really fun to play, and even useful in some occasions)

Socratov
2011-09-23, 04:12 AM
oops, doublepost because of internal server error :smallredface:

Worlok
2011-09-23, 07:48 AM
I even played one once, if gestalted with rogue, though I didn't yet know Complete Warrior back then, so no drunken master. Somehow, sneak attacking with a tankard that hits like an ogre-sized greatsword and sundering full-plate with table legs never gets old. :smallamused:

VarianArdell
2011-09-23, 07:06 PM
why has nobody mentioned the Alchemist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist)? just refluff the extracts as alcoholic beverages, and there ya go!

Zonugal
2011-09-23, 08:48 PM

What about a savage bard type of build? Grab brew potion and try to find a way to snag the 2nd-level wiz/sorc spells Quick Potion. After that you can motivate people through your "potions" as well as your rocking charisma.