PDA

View Full Version : Animal Companion

Kenneth
2011-09-22, 11:13 PM
hello everybody another 'class' I made up. I never really like the blocky and unweidly advancement of Animal Companions in 3rd ed, so I turned it into a class :) In my game animal companions earn EXP at 1/2 the rate of the controlling PC( 35% if teh wild cohort feat is taken or 65% if the Master Trainer feat is taken) anyways. this applies to ANY class levels the master applies so the ranger 10/rogue 10 animal compaion is the same level as the ranger 20.

the Difference bewteen the two is I still allow the standard D&D animal companion progression in terms of stats increases, trisks and special (basically they just do not get teh bous HD) so while they animal companions are both teh same level the pure ranger has doulbe the bonus stats.
the Class based progression has been spoilered

Class Level Nat Armor Adj. Str/Dex Adj. B.Tricks Special
1st-2nd +0 +0 1 Link, share spells
3rd-5th +2 +1 2 Evasion
6th-8th +4 +2 3 Devotion
9th-11th +6 +3 4 Multiattack
12th-14th +8 +4 5
15th-17th +10 +5 6 Improved evasion
18th-20th +12 +6 7

Animal Companion
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special
1st|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+0| +1d4 pounce, Stunted Learning

2nd|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+0| +1 Natural AC

3rd|
+2|
+2|
+2|
+1|+2 Dexterity, +2d4 Pounce

4th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+1|+2 Strength

5th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+1|+1 Natural AC

6th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+2|+2 Constitution, +3d4 Pounce

7th|
+6|
+3|
+3|
+2|Damage Die increase

8th|
+6|
+3|
+3|
+2| +1 Natural AC

9th|
+7|
+4|
+4|
+3| +2 Dexterity, +4d4 Pounce

10th|
+8|
+4|
+4|
+3|+2 Strength

11th|
+9|
+4|
+4|
+3|+1 Natural AC

12th|
+10|
+5|
+5|
+4|+2 Constitution, +5d4 pounce

13th|
+10|
+5|
+5|
+8|

14th|
+11|
+6|
+6|
+4|+1 Natural AC, Damage Die Increase

15th|
+12|
+6|
+6|
+5|+2 Dexterity, +6d4 Pounce

16th|
+13|
+6|
+6|
+5|+2 Strength

17th|
+14|
+7|
+7|
+5|+1 Natural AC

18th|
+14|
+7|
+7|
+6|+2 Constitution, +7d4 Pounce

19th|
+15|
+7|
+7|
+6|

20th|
+16|
+8|
+8|
+6|+1 Natural AC[/table]

Hit Die: D8

Skill points: 2+IntModifier

Class Skills Varies. Whatever skills the Animal Companion gaisn normally are considered Class skill for that particular Animal Companion

Pounce{Ex}:If an Animal Companion can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from its attack, it can strike a vital spot for extra damage.

The Animal Companion's attack deals extra damage anytime it target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the Animal Companion flanks its target. This extra damage is 1d4 at 1st level, and increases by 1d4 at thrid level and every three ANimal Companion levels afterwards. Should the Animal Companion score a critical hit with a Pounce attack, this extra damage is not multiplied.

The Animal Companion must be able to see and/or sense the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. An Anima Companion cannot pounce attack while striking a creature with concealment.

Stunted Learning{Ex}: Unlike other classes in the game the Animal Companion only gains a new feat at every 3rd level, instead of at every odd level as normal.

An Animal Companion's physical statistics increase by the number shown after the plus at the level indicated. As these are untyped bonuses, they stack with any and all other bonuses

Dryad
2011-09-23, 10:13 AM
Ehm... The base attack is strange (+16 at end level, while the normal models are 20/15/10 for full, 3/4 and 1/2).
Stunted learning:
A normal character receives a feat at first, third, sixth, ninth, twelfth, fifteenth and eighteenth level. Every third level, with a 'bonus' tossed in at first. So Stunted Learning would do pretty much the same as normal.
Experience progression: Rather clunky. Me personally; I'm not a fan of experience points at all, and I'm pretty sure there's many groups out there (like the ones I play in) who simply forego the system entirely. It's a clunky mechanic as it is; no need to make it more clunky.
Other than that: The way it reads, this 'class' stacks with the Druid's animal companion boosts. The animal companion was already too powerful a class feature for a full caster, and this makes it a lot more powerful. Not only is it a pocket-warrior, but it also becomes a pocket striker with your 'pounce' ability (which has nothing to do with actual Pounce; the ability to perform a full attack on a charge action).

So all in all: I don't like it. And there's honestly no positive feedback I can give, simply because the design philosophy of the 'class' is flawed. I'm sorry I can't give you much constructive criticism; I honestly am.

Kenneth
2011-09-23, 03:12 PM
Ok first off there is a bit of a chang ebetqween standard and my version of D&D. for me rangers get animal companions at 1st level while druids get them at 4th.

also PCs get a feat at every odd level.
here I will post teh whole thing again twice the 2nd time bolding and underlining what I am getting at

Stunted Learning{Ex}: Unlike other classes in the game the Animal Companion only gains a new feat at every 3rd level, instead of at every odd level as normal.

see how i says instead of every odd level as normal. that would be a reasonle clue to make teh deduction that PCs get a feat at every odd level instead of every 3rd.

and Yes it IS suppoed to be a pocket warrior. WOuld you say the Animal Companion is the equivalent of a standard 3rd ed Fighter? if the answer is yes then BANG BAM!! i am 100% accurate on what I want from this.

NeoSeraphi
2011-09-23, 03:44 PM
Your 13th level Will save should be +4, not +8.

You did not explain the Increased Damage Die class feature.

Those are the actual fatal flaws in your class. Now to point out what I feel are some design errors:

The strange BAB progression. I don't understand why you wouldn't use 3/4 BAB here. That is an animal's normal BAB, and basically all you've done is give it a +1 to hit at 1st level, ending with one more BAB at 20th. I don't really see why you would go against the norm just for a +1 to hit.

The incredibly strange save progression. Why would you nerf an animal companion's Fort and Reflex saves?

A real flaw is what happens if I take a riding dog for 7 levels, then switch to a tiger? Now I have a level 1 tiger, and all that experience I built up for my riding dog is gone (And the tiger will be doing significantly less damage than the riding dog)

You really shouldn't call the class feature Pounce. Cats already have an extraordinary special attack called Pounce, and it will get confusing for your players.

I personally don't think that animals are capable of performing Sneak Attacks. At all. The way you describe it, the animal companion must first look at the target, pause and decide which spot is best to attack it with. Understand that this is the same animal that will not attack unless its master tells it to do so, and then is unable to stop attacking until its master tells it to do so. And yet it has enough restraint and understanding to find weak points? All the hunter's instinct in the world won't change that 2 Intelligence score. An animal is not a rogue. It doesn't have that kind of skillful and precise attack pattern.

Hope this has been helpful.

Kenneth
2011-09-23, 05:31 PM
It is not a flaw if you switch out your animal copanin that been with you since the beginning to another for instance dog to tiger. That tiger has no idea about how you fight what tactics to use best wth your or you allies so it will be doing Much less than your riding dog that has been with you and your party for soem time is capabel of doing.

ANd its is not a sneak attack, i just used teh same... uh mechanic rules. If you do not think animals can do this (target a prcise area for a more lethal attack). then you need to watch national geographic and pay attention to when one animal goes after another for the kill.

Mayhe i should change the name form Pounce for 'GO FOR TEH JUGGLA!!!'? so radnom peoples won't get confused. I myself get angry that wizards used words that have one meaning and put those same words to use with entirely different meanings. Pounce, rebuke et al... and you think calling an ability Pounce becuase it is too simlair is confusing...

also.. animals are not 100% incaple of independant thought. who ever got you to believe that needs kicked in the head twice. (or maybe 5 times..)

PS> i heart you neoseraphi.

NeoSeraphi
2011-09-23, 10:09 PM
Believe me, I agree that real world animals are capable of attacking other animals and humans where it hurts. I'm speaking about D&D animals, which are, by the current rules, incapable of independent thought. I'm speaking strictly by the rules here. Personally, I don't agree with it.

I suggest an alternate name for Pounce to be something like "Lethal Strike". (After all, wolves, dogs and bears don't exactly 'pounce'.)

PS, I heart you NeoSeraphi

Ah, well thank you. I don't recall you ever posting on any of my work, but if that's what you're referring to (I'm better known for my homebrew than my contributions in the regular 3.5 forum), then I appreciate it. :smallsmile:

Paulcynic
2011-09-28, 04:32 PM
Treantmonk and MiB came up with a formula (http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizoPublishing/pathfinder/pathfinderRPG/advice/theDPROlympicsOrImNotTheMechanicHereIronsidesIMost lyJustHurtPeople&page=1&source=search#0) for calculating DPR, and in all cases where the class had a stock animal companion, they dominated the DPR race at nearly all levels 13th and below. Only when casters gain powerful Save or Die spells do the pet classes become second rate. And so please take my critique from this perspective.

1. Stock pets are already a powerful class mechanic; giving them all a special pounce attack for more physical damage per attack puts them at a greater DPR individually than all other striker classes. For instance, a Dire Tiger animal companion at level 7 will have three Primary Attacks with a 40% chance to land an attack against AC 22. This doesn't include Flanking bonuses, which can increase that to 50% success or 60% with Outflank (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/advancedFeats.html#outflank) (pathfinder). Combined, all 3 attacks at 40% deal 18.27 DPR. Because the pet is a class mechanic, it adds this damage to the master's DPR. However, if we assume best case, 60% to hit, then that extra DPR increases to 27.41. This doesn't factor in Greater Magic Fang, Bull's Strength, Pounce + Rake, Precise Strike (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/advancedFeats.html#precise-strike) (Teamwork) or anything else. Wildshape Druids at level 7 with their companion deal ~ 90 DPR, which is enough to one-shot everything in the CR 7 class, and is far more than most solo-striker classes (TH Fighter for instance) would dish out at level 10 (see above thread for examples).

2. By adding an extra bit of damage with your pounce mechanic, you increase the 40% to hit DPR to 27.27, and at 60% to hit his DPR rises to 40.91. At this point, the pet is exacerbating the DPR gap making the master class completely imba.

3. However, I love the idea of pets specializing within their own animal type. Instead of a standard class, maybe create a host of Pet Prestige Classes? That would be super-awesome, giving the Hunter, Druid, and Animal Domain Clerics another layer of personalization :)

Kenneth
2011-09-28, 04:54 PM
Ok i take your DPR into consideration but counter with this. why would a Level 16 ranger with a dire tiger compaion be fighitng CR 7 creatures?

of course at lvl 16 I would expect a level 16 character or his henchemen to be able to drop a creautre under 1/2 his level in one round.

and If you are taking the dire tiger up to 7th level in animal companon (the equivalent fo a 23rd level AC) that is the animal companion of a lvl 31/32 (non master trainer) Ranger.

SO yeah expalin to me why a epic leveled ranger ISN"T dropping CR 17 let alone CR 7 creatures in 1 round?

Dryad
2011-09-28, 05:35 PM
see how i says instead of every odd level as normal. that would be a reasonle clue to make teh deduction that PCs get a feat at every odd level instead of every 3rd.
Nopes. It's not a reasonable deduction at all. It's not 'reasonable' to give a feat every odd level, to anyone, simply because there's no need for it. And without including the specific house-rules, and with the way you've written the thing, it's only reasonable to assume you made a mistake.

and Yes it IS suppoed to be a pocket warrior. WOuld you say the Animal Companion is the equivalent of a standard 3rd ed Fighter? if the answer is yes then BANG BAM!! i am 100% accurate on what I want from this.
That's nice. So how does the fighter feel about your goal of benching her? And the Barbarian?

Kenneth
2011-09-28, 06:18 PM
So even though it says ' every odd level as normal" Its not reasonable to guess that it is what is normal?

and the barbarian has zero to say as that particualr class does not exist in my campaign world. and befor eyou go around and start to say more unreasonabl blah about that. Rage is a feat (or in the case of orc/half orc) a ricial ability. and the fighters as it exists in standard 3.5 does not exist either in my campaign world. instead think of the Warblade and you have something a bit closer to what MY fighter is.

I am sorry that when I wrote something does that says 'instead of as normal' that it is not that readily inferable to understand that normal is doen that way, and in this particualr instance is done this way'. how can I make this

Make people undertsand that normally classes get a feat every odd level (much like how pathfinder did it) and In the case of Animal Companions tht it is every 3rd level ( like it is in standard 3.5). Since i seem to be doing a terribel job at this, I am hoping you can aid me in that endeavor.

Paulcynic
2011-09-29, 12:36 AM
You'll have to forgive me :) I missed the part where your pet is at 65% exp to his Master. I believe that a level 7 companion would belong to a level 9 Ranger, 12 Druid in your homebrew :)? The Ranger's animal companion will cap at level 18, and the druid's at level 16. My original post was on the assumption that Master and Companion leveled together. And so I think DPR might be a bit more balanced at the lower levels with your Pet Class option :) Its a nerf, but its a good nerf all the same. So kudos :)

Something that I didn't think to previously mention, is the problem pet classes face at the higher CR tier (15+). By the time you get to CR 15+ monsters, straight physical damage begins to mean very little, as at this CR many monsters (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/monsters/monstersByCR.html) will have high DR (10-15) with requirements that your pet cannot meet, such as DR 15/Evil, DR 15/Magic, etc. That's damage reduction per strike. And so your pet will invariably become useless in melee combat, and is best used as a diversion, flank protector, etc. Which I beg you to consider my final comment: Pet Prestige Classes!

If anything, I've been inspired to hunt around for other PPC's on these boards, and possibly even create a few of my own. This is strictly to keep the pet relevant at the highest levels, so that Wildshape Druids aren't entirely Outclassed by Summoner Druids. Plus I like the flavor it can add. Just think! *Spectral Leopard of Such-and-So* PrC /twinkleeyed :P

--PC

Kenneth
2011-09-29, 04:51 PM
I do not know if it is a standrad D&D rule or not, but I allow animal compaions magic items in 4 forms only..

Bladders, which are potions meant for animal to use the master must spend 2 tricks to have the animal compaion do it on its own.

Collars, which can give the same things that belts OR rings can, so yeah you can have a collar of giant strngth on your camel for example

Barding, self explanatory, which of course the Animal companion must spend a feat on.

War Paint, pretty much a perma buff of any 'buff' spell you can think. so yeah you can give that collar of stregth Camel blur warpaint. or maybe instead fo being defein you give the camel Divine Power warpaint?

and AT higher levels the animal companion isn't meant to be the main source of damage for the ranger or druid, it is meant to be supplemtal, more for giving flanking bonuses and the other cool stuff such as a wolf's ability to trip or a cheetahs fast movement and pounce attack.

Garryl
2011-09-29, 05:51 PM
Here's WotC's suggested item slot list for quadrupeds (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031125a). Other non-humanoid body types have their own sets of magic item slots. I think the one for Beholders, for instance, is detailed in the Lords of Madness book.

Paulcynic
2011-09-30, 02:38 PM
Oooh :) I really like the item slots that you've cooked up. Vury nice.

I'm not sure that pets should be marginalized as +2 flanking buddies. It seems a complete waste of a thematically important game mechanic. This isn't something that you've caused of course :P I'm railing mostly against the fact that you are correct, the rules for pets are ill-thought.

And so if there was ever a need to adjust animal companions, it would be in the later levels when their damage means little to nothing, when their survivability is slim to none, when combat maneuvers are benched due to either immunity-from-shape or immense size.

I hope this is a helpful evaluation of your table above :) As the nerfed level adjustment makes them less imba at the early levels, which is a good thing. But in the later half of the level tree, they're worse off than stock rules would allow. Which, again, by stock rules animal companions are already useless, now they are more so.

I've really enjoyed discussing this with you, and would like to make a general suggestion: Have pets level by your rules or stock rules from 1-10, then introduce Pet Prestige Classes to address the flaws and inadequacies in their mechanics in the later levels. I would enjoy seeing some of your ideas :)

Kenneth
2011-09-30, 03:54 PM
Aww you making me blush Paulcynic.

I do enjoy your idea of animal companion PrCs

Here is what I am thinking of so far

3 seperate 3 level Prestige classes.

Class A about dealing damage
Class B more about surviability and defenses
Class C about utility and group buffs/debuffs through howls, roars, growls etc

also I should put in that my ranger get an ability that give animal companions some cool boosts to their power, Like X times per day they give a buff that is identicle to divine favor in terms of thew bonuses but last 1 minute/ranger level.

also the Animal companin shave AC only feats. I will go more in depth about these later tonight, and you cna bounce your own ideas about animal companions around as well.

what I wanted from animal com,pnains was a feature that did not breakl the game in that it replaces a party memeber, and I did not want to make it so weak that rangers would be asking 'why do I even have an animal companion"

Kenneth
2011-10-03, 04:35 PM
Ok i made up some PrC but after looking thorugh them I relaized that it would be easier to put those abilitis in the base Animal Companion class to begin with.

I be putting the finsihing touches on it probably tomorrow afternoon but here are some abilities I am leaning towards

Ferocious Roar {Ex}: the animal companion lets out a roar giving all allies a bonus to their next attacks of +2 and deal an additonal amount of damage equal to their Animal Companion Level.

Cower{Ex}: The animal companions whimpers and cowers causing enemies to think it less threatening and so ignore it. a will save at 10+ level+Cha mod (if any) to over come. this last 1 round

Unnerving Growl{Ex}: The animal companion growls affecting all enemies within a 30 foot radius. Those who fail a will save at 10+level+cha mod (if any) are shaken for 1 round

of course ferocious roar Unnervign Growl have higher powered version of themselves. but this is a quick over veiew of what i was thinking on.

Steward
2011-10-03, 04:59 PM
Nopes. It's not a reasonable deduction at all. It's not 'reasonable' to give a feat every odd level, to anyone, simply because there's no need for it. And without including the specific house-rules, and with the way you've written the thing, it's only reasonable to assume you made a mistake.

Why not? The vast majority of feats in Core are pretty worthless, and only getting a handful of them just pressures people into taking the handful that are actually worth the effort. I agree that it's not a "reasonable deduction" and that you were right to suspect an error, but the idea isn't necessarily bad.

I like the idea of animal companion class but I really don't think you should give it to Druids. It should stand alone as a class in and of itself, played separately from a master. It's not overpowered in and of itself but when paired with a Wildshaping spellcaster it increases the tendency of the Druid to make every non-caster redundant.

Coidzor
2011-10-03, 07:53 PM
One thing you could do to normalize it with the rest of the system would be to crib certain details from the paradigm of the Leadership Feat, (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#leadership) since you seem to be effectively cohortizing the animal companion.

This would also be one way of dealing with the issue where it doesn't seem to contain anything about how to deal with getting a new one despite them having their own pseudo-independent level progression and the question of what level it would come in at. Probably better to do away with the cap on being two levels below the character though, or they'll never be capable of hitting 20 pre-epic (meaning if you're going to include level 20, you'd might as well have some thoughts at least on the epic progression)

If you want to keep that one feat that gives accelerated XP progression to the animal companion, I'd suggest something like the cohort XP +25-50% and probably 75% cohort XP for the wild cohort acquired companion.

I'm mostly thinking either taking the leadership score table & the level of the cohort you can attract as is, or adapt it, and then maybe strip the RHD away from animals and apply the Druid Level -X of Alternative Animal Companions (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/druid.htm#theDruidsAnimalCompanion) directly against the level that can be attracted by the leadership score. I probably wouldn't treat it as LA or even pseudo LA beyond attracting the animal though.

That'd make it so that the main thing you were getting by upgrading would be increased stats and special abilities/movement modes rather than amassing a mountain of HD.

Or, possibly even create a few different progression types, like equine, canine, feline, flyer, lizard, ursine, aquatic, and other similar ones; which give different abilities (even size increases/changes) and divorce the animal companion from the animals printed in the monster manual so you don't have to worry about stripping the RHD from animals and slapping the levels in animal companion on or mixing the levels from animal companion with the animal RHD.... Sort of like the animal companion version of the shapeshifter variant druid from the PHBII combined with the idea of monster (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20031212a)classes (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142724)

Kenneth
2011-10-03, 09:22 PM
I do not know if it is just super late ro what, but I honestly could not figure out what you were trying to get at. :(

I have dealt with them getting say a bear at 4th level instead of a wolf at 1st. it basically amounts to Level Adjustment.

a wolf onlyneeds to earn 1K exp to hit his 1st level in animal companion. while a bear has to earn 6,000 exp to hit 1st levle in animal companion.

if this does not seem fair to you that animals you get at the beginning of your career are going to be more powerfult han those you get later, that is exactly what I want. for me, the bond of an animal you have had for years ( or decades in the case of elves and the like) is going ot be much stronger than one you just happend to pick up a couple of days ago.

Paulcynic
2011-10-05, 03:40 AM
Kenneth, posted my Animal Companion PrC ideas in to this Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11972095#post11972095), mainly because they are designed with Pathfinder in mind.

Take a gander, lemme know what you think :)

--PC

Kenneth
2011-10-05, 04:20 PM
You are awesome!!!

I have to say those are all very good. I only have 1 complaint ont eh following ability

Totemic (Su): Animals are closer to the spiritual world than the Master Races; as such, after a fresh kill, they're able to consume the essence and spirit of powerful creatures by eating their entrails. If a creature that was tested this combat dies, as a full-round action your pet may absorb some of its latent powers. Your pet gains all of that creatures Senses, Extraordinary, Supernatural, and Spell-like abilities for a number of rounds equal to your pet's Wisdom modifier plus HD. The only exception are planar summoning abilities, which are impossible for your pet to replicate.

I think wis+ HD is a bit too long expcially looking at some the abilities out there, I think just Wis # rounds or maybe Wis+1/2 HD rounds would be a bit better and less over shadowing of other classes.

other than that. you did a wonderful job!

Kenneth
2011-10-05, 05:02 PM
Animal Companion
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special
1st|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+0| +1d4 pounce, Stunted Learning, Ferocious Roar I, Cower

2nd|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+0| +1 Natural AC, One With Nature

3rd|
+2|
+2|
+2|
+1|+2 Dexterity, +2d4 Pounce

4th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+1|+2 Strength, Unnerving Growl I

5th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+1|+1 Natural AC, Dash

6th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+2|+2 Constitution, +3d4 Pounce, Ferocious Roar II,

7th|
+6|
+3|
+3|
+2|Damage Die increase

8th|
+6|
+3|
+3|
+2| +1 Natural AC

9th|
+7|
+4|
+4|
+3| +2 Dexterity, +4d4 Pounce Unnerving Growl II

10th|
+8|
+4|
+4|
+3|+2 Strength, Kindred Spirit

11th|
+9|
+4|
+4|
+3|+1 Natural AC, Ferocious Roar III

12th|
+10|
+5|
+5|
+4|+2 Constitution, +5d4 pounce

13th|
+10|
+5|
+5|
+8| Culling the Herd

14th|
+11|
+6|
+6|
+4|+1 Natural AC, Damage Die Increase

15th|
+12|
+6|
+6|
+5|+2 Dexterity, +6d4 Pounce, Roar of Recovery

16th|
+13|
+6|
+6|
+5|+2 Strength, Unnerving Growl III

17th|
+14|
+7|
+7|
+5|+1 Natural AC. Ferocious Roar IV

18th|
+14|
+7|
+7|
+6|+2 Constitution, +7d4 Pounce

19th|
+15|
+7|
+7|
+6|

20th|
+16|
+8|
+8|
+6|+1 Natural AC[/table]

Hit Die: D8

Skill points: 2+IntModifier

Class Skills Varies. Whatever skills the Animal Companion gaisn normally are considered Class skill for that particular Animal Companion

Pounce{Ex}:If an Animal Companion can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from its attack, it can strike a vital spot for extra damage.

The Animal Companion's attack deals extra damage anytime it target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the Animal Companion flanks its target. This extra damage is 1d4 at 1st level, and increases by 1d4 at thrid level and every three ANimal Companion levels afterwards. Should the Animal Companion score a critical hit with a Pounce attack, this extra damage is not multiplied.

The Animal Companion must be able to see and/or sense the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. An Anima Companion cannot pounce attack while striking a creature with concealment.

Damage Die Increase: The Animal Companion's base damage die increases by one step.

Ferocious Raor I{Ex}: the animal companion lets out a roar giving all allies a bonus to their next attack of +2 and deal an additonal amount of damage equal to their Animal Companion Level.

Ferocious Raor II{Ex}:the animal companion lets out a roar giving all allies a bonus to their next attack of +4 and deal an additonal amount of damage equal to 3+their Animal Companion Level.

Ferocious Raor III{Ex}:the animal companion lets out a roar giving all allies a bonus to their next attack of +6 and deal an additonal amount of damage equal to 9+their Animal Companion Level.

Ferocious Raor IV{Ex}:the animal companion lets out a roar giving all allies a bonus to their next attack of +28and deal an additonal amount of damage equal to 15+their Animal Companion Level.

Cower{Ex}: The animal companions whimpers and cowers causing enemies to think it less threatening and so ignore it. a will save at 10+ Animal Companion level+Cha mod (if any) to over come. this last 1 round

Unnerving Growl I{Ex}: The animal companion growls affecting all enemies within a 30 foot radius. Those who fail a will save at 10+Animal Companion level+cha mod (if any) are shaken for 1 round

Unnerving Growl II{Ex}: The animal companion growls affecting all enemies within a 30 foot radius. Those who fail a will save at 15+Animal Companion level+cha mod (if any) are shaken for 1 round

Unnerving Growl III{Ex}: The animal companion growls affecting all enemies within a 30 foot radius. Those who fail a will save at 15+Animal Companion level+cha mod (if any) are shaken for 2 rounds

One With Nature {Ex}: AT 2nd level the Animal Companions gains resistance 3 to the following elements Acid, Cold, Electricity, and Fire. This amount increases by 2 every 3rd level after 2nd.

Dash{Ex}: A number of times per day equal to the Animal Companions Consitution modifier it may move at triple its base speed, with no worry of fatiuge or exaustion. THis bonus speed lasts for 5 rounds.

Kindred Spirit {Su}: The animal Companion and its master gains Fast healing 5. This ability functions only while the Animal Companion is conscious, not if it is unconscious or dead. Further more THis requires the Master and Animal Companion to be within 100 feet and have line of sight and line of effect on each other as well as being on the same plane of existance.

Culling The Herd: {Ex} When the Animal Companion makes a criticial strike, it gains an additional attack at its highest Base attack bonus.

Roar Of Recovery: {Su} Once a day the animal lets lose a powerful and awe inspiring roar. removing the following effects form itself and its allies within 30 feet; Dazzled, Fatigued, Exhausted, Shaken, Frightened, Panicked, Sickened, and Nauseated. As well as healing everybody so affected by the roar are healed for 3d8 points.

An Animal Companion's physical statistics increase by the number shown after the plus at the level indicated. As these are untyped bonuses, they stack with any and all other bonuses

An animal Companion is considered a fighter of its Animal Companion level for purposes of feats it qualifies for, such as Weapon Specailization, or Martial Study.

Next post! Animal Companion Only feats.. be amazed.. i hope LOL

Kenneth
2011-10-05, 09:41 PM
Animal Companion Feats

Heart of The Pheonix [Animal Companion]

Prerequisites: Animal Companion, Base Attack Bonus +10

Benefit: If an animal Companion dies and has no died due to death effects, disintegrate or nautral causes, resurrects 2 rounds later as long as teh Master is still alive and concious. the Animal Companion has half its max life (rounded down) upon resurrecting.

Special: An animal Companion may only gain the benefit of this feat once a day.

Cute [Animal Companion]

Prerequisite: Animal Companion

Benefit: The animal Companion taking this feat gains a +4 bonus to Charisma

Lick Wounds [Animal Companion]

Prerequisite: Animal Companion, Base Attack Bonus +4

Benefit: Using a full round action and rendering itself helpless during so. AN Animal Companion can lick its wounds healing it for 1d6+ 1per Animal Companion Level. This may only be used once per day.

Special: This feat may be taken up to 3 times, each time it is taken it allows another use of itself.

Pet Barding [Animal Companion]

Prerequisite: Animal Companion, Base Attack Bonus +5, Proficinecy with Armor Type

Benefit: When an Animal Companion wear Armor of a specific type it gains an additional +2 Competance bonus to his Armor bonus to AC.

Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a new type of Armor.

Guard Dog [Animal Companion]

Prerequisite: Animal Companion, Base Attack Bonus +4

Benefit: The Animal Companion gains a bonus equal to its Charisma Modifier and deals extra damage equal to its Animal Companion Level to any being that successfull attacks it's master.

Bull-Headed [Animal Companion]

Prerequisite: Animal Companion, Base Attack Bonus +7

Benefit: All Compulsion, Charm, and fear effects cast on the Animal companion have their duration cut by half.

137beth
2011-10-06, 07:26 AM
Um, you need to make it clear who is taking those feats, is the animal companion taking those feats, or its master?

Also:

Benefit: The animal Companion taking this feat gains a +4 bonus to Charisma
To much. Remember that the EPIC feat great charisma gives only a +1 bonus. Allowing a 1st level animal companion to gain a permanent +4 bonus is absurd.