PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] playing a Judge of St. Cuthbert...

TheJudicator
2011-09-22, 11:30 PM
Good evening, fellow Playgrounders,

I make this post a general, light discussion, merely to bounce some ideas around for my current character.

As the title suggests, I am portraying a Judge of St. Cuthbert, one of a prestigious order who travels, bringing law and justice to the lands. Through his strength, divine ability, and his mace, he passes his judgement on to the wicked.

For you that only speak game terms: you're looking at a LG Aasimar-Half Celestial Cleric 7, melee focus, no armor except shield, power attack, the usual. Allowed resources are PHB, DMG, and MM, so core only. DM's rules, won't be bent.

And now for my questions. First, when I continue running with this character, what kind of equips/feats/what have you should I be looking for, in your opinion? I have a fairly shrewd idea, but a second opinion never hurts.

Second, I've been doing fairly well with this, but what would you consider good one-liners for a Judge character? We've been going up against several monologue-prone BBEGs, so there's plenty of opportunity.

Thirdly...for the race-class-style listed...what do you think would be a good theme song? This is the only thing I'm drawing a blank on.

Thanks in advance for the input, readers!

Abaddon87
2011-09-22, 11:34 PM
Joe Walsh's "The Confessor" comes to mind as a song for your "Judge Dread" character...

And you have to say "Case Dismissed!" when you smite the BBEG!

Here is a link to the song: http://youtu.be/d3XSI_xwvss

Kol Korran
2011-09-23, 04:50 AM
well, you haven't told us much about the game or your character really- are you facing clear cut challenges of "righteous good vs. evily evil"? or are the morals, motives and judgments more grey? are you actually investigating "crimes" or are you just sent to "combat evil/ deliver justice"? is your character a deeply reflecting, cautious investigator, or a righteous zealot "smack them over the head, ask questions later?" kind of guy? do you try to make monsters/ people and such repent and change their ways, or do once they sin, they must be punished? are there differentiating levels of "punishment"?

i know the above are mostly fluff questions, but i believe good fluff enhances play greatly, and can influence mechanical choices (and vice versa)

but as to your questions, some ideas:
- a holy weapon can be good if you're dealing with mostly evil creatures. a nice addition to damage, and it's ability to affect them can be "proof" that they are evil.
- if you want to take them alive though, a merciful weapon might be better (converts damage to nonlethal).
- i think it oculd be awesome if you have some sort of intelligent weapon, with an interesting personality. some ideas: a weapon sanctioned from the church, to increase your piety and sense of duty, urging you on, everonwards. i suggest it to be contradictory to your own beliefs, trying either to make them mallower or more extreme. could be fun to play. or the weapon could have the soul of some great criminal (who's crime you may or may not know) that tries to repent by serving the church now, but may have some "drastic" ideas, of the sort of "the end justifies the means".

- out of curiosity, why don't you wear armor?

- a necklace of prayer beads is often considered nice. never used it, but people have positive views on it.

- if you can, i suggest to keep either scrolls, potions, or other items that allow zone of truth, discern lies and most notably- true sight. if you can get a permanent magic item, all the better.

- PRCs- church inquisitor might do nice i think. divine oracle if you're also the investigating type and like the divination spell, though i guess this is not the case.

- one liners... not my strong point, but lets see:

"you have been measured, you havebeen weighed, and you are found lacking. by the divine authority invested ine me, i here by deliver judgmenet!" (insert battle cry or drawing of weapon) [ i'm not sure, but i think at least part o this was taken from "knight's tale"]
"i have seen many crimes, many atrocities, many evils. that is my job. i have witnessed suffering, despair, death. that too is my job. and then i set to right the wrong. that is the essence of my job. i do my job WELL!
(after a monologue) "some of you give excuses, some of you give explenations. some want me to sympethize, some want me to be awed, some want me to be cowered. i am not. i find you pathetic, disgusting, pitiful, and a blemish on my world. you are a monster, and you deserve to die. lets end this, shall we?"
"some say i'm the judge, the one who decides the fate of your soul. i am not- i am but the agent that delivers you to justice, by the gods. prepare your case, for you are about to meet them!"

i hope these will be enough? a bit long, but hopefully good enough.

theme song, theme song... god i'm really crappy at this. i think you can go a few ways with this:
- quite fast, dreading combative kind of music.
- quite serene, angelic. beautiful and divine sort of music, perhaps church music? bringing a whole new state of mind to an intense battle, showing your own (some would say perverted) concept of "delivering justice". depends on how spiritual you make your character.
- some old western music, sort of a "sheriff of the wild west" kind of thing, bringing law to a lawless land.

a few suggestions: (various themes)
the grand duel from kill bill (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSIET_P9Ckk) starts very mellow, but then escalates to a sort of uplifiting divine sort of music for a few moments. could be kind of atmospheric and creepy if you're in the middle of bashing demons head and covered in blood.
an old classic, that i think might go well (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29YhWIvTAIU&feature=fvst)
From the "Leon the professional" movie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUi_c3_T4s4&feature=BFa&list=PL695017D99FFB3C75&lf=results_main) (awesome movie!) this theme gives a sort of... "inevitable doom" kind of feeling, with a mix of grim.
another from Leon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-JZ-YiFO0A&feature=BFa&list=PL695017D99FFB3C75&lf=results_main) slightly more of the same, but a bit different?

maybe i'll think more up. don't know. good luck!

TheJudicator
2011-09-23, 12:52 PM
Kol Korran, you raise some valid questions. I merely wasn't sure how much would be necessary to share, so I'll be happy to share it. As I am replying via mobile, bear with me if I miss a question.

The campaign started only about a year or so after the Judge completed his training, taking place in the village all the PCs were born in. The enemy has been very clear cut: a vampire cleric(supposedly supported by Gruimsh), who has a personal vendetta with the village. So basically, very little gray area as far as morals, but much doubt when it comes to subterfuge (a succubus was walking around disguised as the judge's sister..)

Up this point, I was playing him as the very vindicating type, brooking no transgression from anyone (funny when one of the players always plays the "defiant argumentative" alignment regardless of character). However, a recent brush with atonement (see the sig...that Halfling has scars now), plus his recent ascension to half-celestial, has led me to calm him down, finding peace with the exception of in the face of evil.

While I intended him to be a dispute settler, it seems more fitting to think of him closer to the crusader type, given his passion for justice.

I also love fluff, as it adds oh so much more depth and entertainment to a game. I feel blessed to be in a like-minded group.

As for the armor question, it is because of the Half-Celestial feature known as wings. DM ruling has concluded that no armor can accommodate for that feature without denying flight. Considering that's why I went half-celestial in the first place (pause for the optimizers to cringe), I have little choice.

As for PrCs, yes those work...if I could use them. As mentioned above, I only have core books.

Thanks for the input :)