PDA

View Full Version : PF: Words of power

BobVosh
2011-09-23, 12:16 AM
Anyone else get the feeling that this was extremely half assed?
No shield spells, nothing really able to be accomplished with this that regular magic can't, most of the effect words look exactly like regular spells already done, no support in future books...
Etc.
I keep wanting to like them, then coming up with silly things to use it. Such as a 1 wizard gun slinger/19 sorc word caster fey blood would mean I can shoot out my enchantment spells with a +4 DC without feats. I haven't come up with a single nonsilly build that could want this over regular spell casting.

Bhaakon
2011-09-23, 02:08 AM
Yes, it seems very limited in comparison to normal casting, largely because it lacks the variety of spells.

OTOH, spellcasters could use some gimping, so the bug is arguably a feature.

Morquard
2011-09-23, 02:41 AM
Yes, I've looked into it as well, and I too wanted to like it, but in the end just couldn't.
It's still limited by the same things as the normal spellsystem, and then having even more limitations on top of that for being WoP. Half the time you HAVE to use Boost just to get it on par with the normal effect. Other times you can't even do that.
It was advertised as allowing caster more freedom, create their own spells and that. I don't see it.

Most effect words can be combined with exactly a single target word, so your freedom there is to decide if you boost it or not.
You can combine more than 1 low level spell into a single higher level spell. Which is something good i guess, but I don't think it makes up for all the flaws of the system.

Also as you said, no support in any other books since then, far too few effect words to start with, and half of them just suck.

BobVosh
2011-09-23, 04:28 AM
Complex Order (Command)

School enchantment (compulsion) [language-dependent, mind affecting]; Level bard 3, sorcerer/wizard 3, witch 4

Duration 10 minutes/level

Saving Throw Will negates; Spell Resistance yes

Target Restrictions selected

The target of a wordspell with this effect word must follow the wordcaster's instructions. The wordcaster must be able to convey the orders within 1 round and the actions must be possible to complete within the wordspell's duration. The instructions cannot include anything that is obviously dangerous or harmful to the target. The instructions do not have to take the entire duration, and once completed, a wordspell with this effect word ends. If the instructions are not completed by the time the duration expires, the target is under no compulsion to finish enacting them.
Crush Will (Command)

School enchantment (compulsion) [language-dependant, mind-affecting]; Level bard 4, sorcerer/wizard 5, witch 5

Duration 1 round/level

Saving Throw Will negates; Spell Resistance yes

Target Restrictions selected

The target of a wordspell with this effect word obeys any commands given by the caster. These commands are sent through a mental link that does not require speech. The target ignores any commands that are suicidal or self-destructive. A wordspell with this effect word only affects creatures of the humanoid type; targets receive a +4 bonus on the saving throw if a wordspell with the effect word has its target boosted to affect more than one creature.
Why is crush will worse than dominate in every way? Also I didn't even notice the target restrictions until someone mentioned above.
Also anyone else noticed complex is better than crush in every way?
Just say "obey everything I say."

TheJake
2011-09-23, 05:10 AM
I was excited by the idea but as others have indicated, crap execution.

- J.

Curious
2011-09-23, 08:28 AM
I actually rather like them. They have a bit more flexibility within their limited purview than regular spells, and the generally reduced effectiveness is better for balance. I like to combine them with spell points for more 'primal magic'.

Larpus
2011-09-23, 08:36 AM
My only true problem with them is the overall (much) shorter duration without getting more uses/day, casters have so few spell slots per day that simply toning spells down (especially by such a large margin) usually crosses the line to making them "worthless" IMHO (I'm really thinking of Wizards and Sorcerers who have no other class features besides "cast spells").

Mustard
2011-09-23, 01:12 PM
I want to like them, but there just doesn't seem to be a reason to use them over regular spells. There are some good combinations, and summons are standard actions, but that's not compelling enough, to me. With target restrictions, it's not as "throw together whatever you want" as I'd like, and makes it just another barrier to adoption.

I don't think I would voluntarily use them (I have greatly considered them once), but I would still play a spellcaster in a campaign if I had to take words of power.

I think perhaps it may have been better just to have a new class built around the feature, instead of having it as a substitute for spells. That way, they could be much more focused, and they wouldn't even necessarily need to be slotted into the 9 level system. I believe that maintaining that design goal (make them "like spells", levels and all) caused too many compromises.

Blisstake
2011-09-23, 06:33 PM
Eh, there's really not much they could have done without making the Words of Power section about twice as long. It is a pretty nice system for oracles and sorcerers though, since it gives them more freedom in choice of spell area.

Still, we probably could have done without the section (but what would it be replaced with?)

The-Mage-King
2011-09-23, 06:56 PM
I actually rather like them. They have a bit more flexibility within their limited purview than regular spells, and the generally reduced effectiveness is better for balance. I like to combine them with spell points for more 'primal magic'.

Indeed.

I admit, WoP seem weaker, but the true strength of them is combining spell effects to reduce action issues.

I ask you, which would you prefer- spending 2 standard actions to drop Haste and.... Some other self enhancing spell on yourself, or one and a higher level slot to do the same? Furthermore, you can easily drop an extend on it without increasing the spell level, thanks to the meta word.

Putting this variant on a Sorcerer, with the right words chosen, can be downright scary, especially if it's intended to be a Gish build.

...I really need to finish up that handbook I was working on...