PDA

View Full Version : Howbrew varient fighter

Devronq
2011-09-23, 03:45 AM
Variant Fighter,
So I’m currently working a project just for myself to rewrite all the base class to make them relatively as strong as each other and make some of the poorer ones like monk and fighter worth taking more than 1 or 2 levels in them and avoid most dead levels. I only spent a day working on this variant fighter but I’m quite happy with it I know it’s not as strong as TOB, BOS classes but that wasn’t my goal. Id like some feedback positive or negative, if you like it tell me so if you think its complete **** don’t be afraid to tell me that ether. Il try to explain it as much as I can because im using a lot of homebrew abilities and such
Fighter
1. Weapon affinity
2. Bonus feat
4. Armor affinity
6. Feat
8. Hardiness
10. Feat
12. Combat affinity
14. Feat
16. Combat maneuver mastery
18. Feat
20. Fighter mastery
Hd, skills, bab, saves, proficiencies stay the same.
Weapon affinity
This basically grants the fighter a bunch of bonus feats in the weapon focus chain for free. Even in 3.0 I thought that he should just automatically gain these for free. I also removed the prerequisite that you must be a fighter to take these, now you just must have that many levels in any martial class, basically any full bab class. This may seem open to abuse as you can take fight1 barb19 for example and gain like 6bonus feats for 1 level but keep in mind in the long run these feats aren’t going to make a huge difference at lv.20 and the fighters later abilities are worth digging for.
As soon as the fighter qualifies for these feats he automatically gains them.

Weapon focus
Prerequisite: Proficient with weapon
Benefit: +1hit with chosen weapon

Greater weapon focus
Prerequisite: Proficient with weapon, weapon focus, martial 8
Benefit: +1hit with chosen weapon

Weapon specialization
Prerequisite: Proficient with weapon, martial 4
Benefit: +2dam with chosen weapon

Greater weapon specialization
Prerequisite: Proficient with weapon, weapon specialization, martial 12
Benefit: +2dam with chosen weapon

Weapon mastery
Prerequisite: Proficient with weapon, weapon focus, weapon specialization, martial 8
Benefit: +2hit and +2dam with chosen weapon

Greater weapon mastery
Prerequisite: Proficient with weapon, weapon focus, greater weapon focus, weapon specialization, greater weapon specialization, martial 16
Benefit: +2hit and +2dam with chosen weapon

Weapon supremacy
Prerequisite: Proficient with weapon, weapon focus, greater weapon focus, weapon specialization, greater weapon specialization, greater weapon mastery, martial 18
Benefit: While wielding your chosen weapon you gain +4 bonus to resist being disarmed, you make take standard actions or full round actions while being grappled without penalty and without making a grapple check. (Although you still remain grappled this is only while resisting a grapple.) Once per round you may take a 10 on an attack roll. You gain +1ac. If you critical miss with a weapon you automatically pass the check to not fumble your weapon.

Armor affinity
Similar to weapon affinity, you only need 4 levels of fighter to begin to gain these feats and then as soon as you qualify you gain the rest of the feats. I haven’t given the feats names yet. The prerequisite is lv4 fighter and the rest of the levels can be any martial class and they only function while wearing armor you are proficient with.
lv.4 feat -1 check +1armor bonus
lv.8 feat -1 check +1armor bonus
lv.12 feat -1 check +1max dex
lv.16 feat -1 check +1max dex
lv.20 feat 10% cover

Hardiness
Again you need 8 levels of fighter to begin to gain these feats and then you gain the rest with any martial levels
lv.8 endurance, +8hp,+2fort
lv.13 grants SR10+martial levels
lv.18 fast healing 1

Combat affinity
You need 12 levels of fighter to begin to gain these abilities and the rest may be covered by any martial class
lv.12 greater power attack 2-1 ratio
lv.16 supreme power attack 3-1 ratio
note that this is also going to be the only way to gain these 2 abilities the frenzied berserker isn’t going to exist anymore and I believe these abilities to be great and worth waiting 12/16 levels for.

Maneuver mastery
You need 16 levels of fighter to begin to gain these abilities and the rest may be covered by any martial class
lv.16 2 free maneuver feats, such as improved grapple, improved sunder etc
lv.20 +4bonus to resist any combat maneuver, grapple sunder etc.

Fighter mastery
lv.20 2 bonus feats
lv.21 2 bonus epic feats

So thoughts?

Midnight_v
2011-09-23, 10:45 AM
Thoughts...

You really need to understand fully the problems with the fighter, before you try to fix it with a few simple patches.

The question is... what do you want this to do exactly?