PDA

View Full Version : How many levels do you have in "donor"?

paddyfool
2011-09-23, 04:44 AM
This is meant to be a fun exercise, but also provide people with a bit of impetus to go out and help other people, via blood/organ/etc. donation. It's obviously unfair, since no-one can donate all of these things, and some can donate a lot more than others.

You start out as a level 0 NPC with no class.
You gain level 1 in donor if you've ever looked into blood, organ or other donation. If you're in the UK and want this level, click these links: organ (http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/ukt/); blood (http://blood.co.uk/).

You may gain 1-4 levels by giving blood (1 if you've ever given blood; 2 if you've given at least 5 units, 3 if you've given at least 15, 4 if you've given at least 50; this final level is a prestige class level).
You may gain 1-3 levels by giving platelets or plasma (1 if you've ever given platelets or plasma; 2 if you've given platelets or plasma at least 10 times; 3 if you've given platelets or plasma at least 100 times).

You may gain 1 level by donating sperm.
You may gain 2 levels by donating eggs.
You may gain 4 levels by being a surrogate mother.
EDIT (addition): You may gain 1 level by giving cord blood (in which case, both mother and baby gain 1 level).

You may gain 1 level by signing onto an organ donor register.
You may gain 1 level by signing away your body to medical science, your brain to a brain research bank, or some other donation after your death.
You may gain 2 prestige class levels if any organ of yours is actually used after your death (may only be gained posthumously).

You may gain 1 level by signing onto a bone marrow donor register.
You may gain 2 prestige class levels if you've ever actually given anyone bone marrow.

You may gain 4 prestige class levels if you've ever made a living organ donation (e.g. kidney); +1 if they were unrelated.

You may gain 1 level if you've ever recruited someone else as an organ, blood, or bone marrow donor.

Anything major I've forgotten?

NEW EDIT: bonus 1 level available for good donation stories.

My level: 8 (1 starter, 3 blood, 1 organ donor, 1 "brain bank" donor, 1 bone marrow donor, 1 recruitment; no prestige class levels, alas).

I think the theoretical maximum is level 29, but this would be achievable only posthumously and only by a woman.

EDIT: Old-school graph of number of playgrounders (X axis) by reported level (Y axis) so far.

12|
11|
10|
9 | *
8 | * *
7 | * *
6 | * * * * * *
5 | * * * *
4 | * * * * * *
3 | * * * * * * *
2 | * * * * *
1 | *
0 | * * * * * *
____1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

(Updated as far as my latest post; prestige donors in red).

Dr.Epic
2011-09-23, 05:06 AM
I've given blood once. Also, I think surrogate mother should be worth more than that.

paddyfool
2011-09-23, 05:16 AM
Yeah, yeah it really should. Upgrading to "4".

KenderWizard
2011-09-23, 05:18 AM
I've given blood once. Also, I think surrogate mother should be worth more than that.

Definitely! Basically giving someone a year of your time, plus all the crazy stuff pregnancy comes with.

I'm currently not able to give blood, but if I ever can, I definitely will.

Form
2011-09-23, 06:33 AM
I guess that puts me at level 2. One level for (albeit briefly) looking into being a donor and one for getting a donor registration card. I've played with the thought of donating blood as well, but to be honest it's been too much of a bother to actually go and do that.

The Succubus
2011-09-23, 06:39 AM
I'd be deeply concerned about someone that has Epic Exalted Donor levels because by that stage they'd probably qualify for Lich form as well. :smalleek:

paddyfool
2011-09-23, 06:51 AM
I'd be deeply concerned about someone that has Epic Exalted Donor levels because by that stage they'd probably qualify for Lich form as well. :smalleek:

That gives me an interesting idea for an urban fantasy antagonist: imagine if a spellcaster or vampire had cast a rite that gave him power over, up to and including the ability to transfer himself across to, people to whom he'd given blood etc. Then imagine him as a prolific plasma donor, with dozens of random, nigh-untraceable people he could hop across to. Definitely an antagonist for high-level play.

Kobold-Bard
2011-09-23, 06:56 AM

Should be 4 but the stupid blood people couldn't fit me in :smallannoyed:

Tyndmyr
2011-09-23, 10:03 AM
I think that makes me a level 3 donor. Gave blood a fair amount of times.

The Succubus
2011-09-23, 10:51 AM

Should be 4 but the stupid blood people couldn't fit me in :smallannoyed:

There much call for reptilian blood? :smallwink:

Just noticed your new avvie. Does this make you a Kobold-Y'arrrd now?

Goosefeather
2011-09-23, 10:58 AM
Level 6, if I work it out correctly. I sometimes give in Wales and sometimes in England, so thanks to the system I have two cards and am not sure exactly how many times I've given in total, but I don't think it's quite 15. Plus the bone marrow and organ donor register levels, plus the recruitment level, for persuading people to come along when we all went to give for the first time back in school.

Also I highly approve of this thread :smallsmile:

Ursus the Grim
2011-09-23, 11:02 AM
One.

I tried to give blood, but I failed my Fortitude save vs Nausea, and subsequent ones against fear.

My fiancee has to be five, I think.
She gives blood regularly, is an organ donor volunteer, and recruited me (I technically tried after all).

LaZodiac
2011-09-23, 11:46 AM
I'm a pitiful zero, but also 19. However, I do think that if I die healthy enough I'd be glad to give every part of my body to people who need it. That's gotta count for something right?

ShortOne
2011-09-23, 11:51 AM
I would have a number higher than zero if I could, but alas, I can't legally donate right now.

Haruki-kun
2011-09-23, 11:58 AM
Level 2. Looked into donating blood once, and registered organ donor.

drakir_nosslin
2011-09-23, 01:41 PM
I think I'm a 5. Three from blood donations, one from begin a registered organ donor and one from giving my body to medical science when I die.

TheCountAlucard
2011-09-23, 02:44 PM
I don't keep track of how many times I've donated, but I've made a point of doing so whenever available since 2008. :smallcool:

Eloel
2011-09-23, 03:40 PM
5+ blood donations, recruited people for blood donation, looked into blood donation.
That puts me at, 4th level, I guess?
Yeah, I'm not really the help-em-all type.

arguskos
2011-09-23, 06:07 PM
Zippo. Needle phobia is... yeah. :smallsigh:

Nix Nihila
2011-09-23, 06:59 PM

I feel your pain. Every time a doctor has tried to take my blood, I've fainted...

If it weren't for that, I'd love to donate blood.

Coidzor
2011-09-23, 07:07 PM
...Every time I set aside time to go give blood I get sick the week before...:smallsigh:

I can't recall if my registration was successful or not, but I've definitely made plans to go donate blood, so that's, like 1 I guess.

H Birchgrove
2011-09-23, 07:19 PM
Level 2. I'm a registered donor.

leafman
2011-09-23, 11:19 PM
I've donated at least a gallon of blood, so that makes at least 8 donations for me. I've recruited some friends to donate, and I'm a registered organ donor.

I'm level 4.

Does recieving a thank you letter from a hospital on behalf of a family for helping save their family member's life via blood donation count for anything?

THAC0
2011-09-24, 12:16 AM
I get seven.

paddyfool
2011-09-24, 03:56 AM
Updated the graph above. Not really surprised to see a bimodal distribution, but let's see if we can't do something to shift up that first peak:

I'm a pitiful zero, but also 19. However, I do think that if I die healthy enough I'd be glad to give every part of my body to people who need it. That's gotta count for something right?

I would have a number higher than zero if I could, but alas, I can't legally donate right now.

You know that just looking into donation is worth your first level, right? Get thee to google!

Also, LaZodiac: if you're happy to be an organ donor after you die, the instructions on registering this in Canada can be found here (http://www.transplant.ca/pubinfo_becomedonor.htm). And that'll be worth another level once you've done it :)

There's still registering as an organ donor, if you want to. (Man, I'm such a nag...)

Manga Shoggoth
2011-09-24, 08:01 AM

Yes, Phobias are bad news.

One of my collegues at work shares your phobia. He gained my undying respect by going for a donation session (he is actively dealing with his phobia, but I think this was possibly a rather extreme method of doing it).

Unfortunately it didn't go well for him. However, he was quite happy about it (once he had recovered, at least) as he can now say that he has at least tried.

Probably not the best inspirational story, I admit...

ForzaFiori
2011-09-24, 10:44 AM
Pretty sure I'm level 6. 1 starter, 3 for donation, 1 for organ donating, and 1 for recruiting (or can you gain this multiple times? If you can, it'd bump me up to 7)

tensai_oni
2011-09-24, 10:57 AM
I donated blood 6 times. This makes me level 3 (2+1 starter).

Asta Kask
2011-09-24, 01:41 PM
Four levels. I've donated my body to science (posthumously) and I hope that it will be used to usher in the Zombie Apocalypse.

rogueboy
2011-09-24, 02:03 PM
Level 2 (starter + registered organ donor). Would be higher if I didn't have a long-standing needle phobia that's stopped me from donating in the past. It's not as bad as it was, though, so I may need to fix that at some point.

grimbold
2011-09-24, 02:30 PM
so
Im level... 3... 4 when i get a license :smallwink:

Knaight
2011-09-24, 05:53 PM
Three. One for looking into donation, two for blood plasma. I'm only 18, and haven't been allowed to donate long, so this number should be increasing soonish. I'm still trying to get organ donation status, but apparently it comes with a drivers license and not with a non-drivers license ID. :smallannoyed:

AtlanteanTroll
2011-09-25, 07:48 PM
Level 4 (Looking into it + Giving it x5 + Registered (Driver’s License counts, right?)) for me. Though, I bet I’ll end up giving my Dad a Kidney at some point. I hope not, but he has some problems.

Heliomance
2011-09-25, 10:41 PM
Level 3, I think. Looked into it, given blood 3 or 4 times, and I think I'm on the organ donor's register, not sure. I carry an organ donor card, though.

Syka
2011-09-26, 12:10 AM
I'm somewhere between 5 and 6.

I definitely have the starter level.

I'm not sure entirely how much blood I've donated between where I live now (started in 2005 as soon as I was allowed) and where I went to college (2007-2008). I know I have more than a gallon here, which would give me 2 levels and very well may be 15+, which would be 3 levels.

I am signed up to be an organ donor (plus one level...at 3-4 now).

My family is well aware I want whatever can't be donated to go to either medical research (although I was recently informed by TransLife that organ donation is incompatible with donating ones body to science due to, well, the lack of organs) or the body farm. Up to level 4-5.

Oz technically is not an organ donor. In the drivers license system, for some reason, they ALWAYS forget to put him down as a donor. I ALWAYS make sure we get the little sticker to put on there saying he is. Also, I'm always letting people know I'm an organ donor and participate in a charity event around organ donation (kidney transplants in particular, but they have folks covering everything). Even have a license plate from saying Donate Life- Organ Donation and a bracelet I wear to work (recently joined by two different organ donation pins). So...probably up to a 5-6.

Honestly, I donate blood not NEARLY as much as I want to. I was fine and dandy, but in the last 3-4 years, it's gotten iffy. About half the time I end up ill afterwards, sometimes for 2-3 days, so I have to plan around classes (formerly) and work (now). Like, I have to be sure I can go right home afterwards and rest in case I'm feeling off and they have had me stay on the bus for up to an hour or more at times. >> Everyone asks me afterwards if it'll make me think twice about donating (especially a manager when I had to leave work I was so faint).

My answer? Not at all. I'd rather be uncomfortable for <2 days and save however many lives. :)

I've also considered becoming a surrogate. There is a small, small list of folks I would put my body through for that (my sister, and two of my good friends, one of whom is having fertility issues). I have some...issues with the thought of anonymously donating my eggs, though. They are complicated, not board appropriate, and not even very well thought out on my end. Not that I'd even be allowed to *looks at the laundry list of potentially genetic health issues she has*.

I also have some issues with the plasma/platelet donations that's entirely personal and completely unfounded (at least, unfounded if one is donating blood anyway). I should sign up for the bone marrow registry, though...forgot about that one...I've heard it's painful, but I had a childhood friend with leukemia and I have seen how it affects families. Anything to help, right?

Zeb The Troll
2011-09-26, 02:23 AM
Let's see. I'm a regular blood donor "of a certain age" and I've donated blood with spotty regularity since I joined the army so I'm sure I've given at least 15 pints, but probably not 50. 4 levels.

My driver's license says that I'm an organ donor. I just double checked. 1 level.

I've recruited multiple people to donate blood, but I'm expecting that's not a cumulative bonus there. 1 level.

Looks like 6 levels.

I'd get more if given the opportunity, but thankfully no one I know has ever needed any of my body parts.

pffh
2011-09-26, 06:45 AM
Hmm lets see I've donated blood every 2-3 months for 5 years now so that places me at level 3 and I've convinced some friends to start donating blood so that's one level for a total of level 4.

Brother Oni
2011-09-26, 07:09 AM
Level 5 I think - 1 starter, 3 blood, 1 recruitment (does it count if they fainted part way though the procedure and the whole donation wasn't taken? Does it still count if we abandoned him in the van and ran away giggling? :smalltongue:)

I've looked into platelet donations before (there doesn't seem to be an option to just donate plasma in the UK), and while I'm fine with them taking stuff out of me for whole blood, I don't really want it back afterwards which is what they do for platelets.

bluewind95
2011-09-26, 08:05 AM
I'm level 0. Haven't even looked into donating because I already know that I can't. My needle "phobia" happens to not be a phobia at all. Instead, it's a problem that can make me faint with needles. I've already learned (due to requiring IV medication and blood tests) how to avoid the actual fainting most of the time. But that won't stop my veins from shutting down. No matter how much I would want to. Fibromyalgia makes that kind of stuff VERY painful and pain is one sure-fire trigger to the problem that causes this.

The Succubus
2011-09-26, 02:00 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm on the organ donor register but there's one body part I'm not putting up - my eyes. It sounds weird but I feel my eyes have seen too much in my life to give them to someone else - good and bad. I can't be more specfic than that - it's just a vibe, you know?

AtlanteanTroll
2011-09-26, 06:52 PM
I'd get more if given the opportunity, but thankfully no one I know has ever needed any of my body parts.
Amen Troll brother. Amen.

Ravens_cry
2011-09-26, 08:11 PM
Three, I've donated blood seven times. Will be donating again later this year.

Xyk
2011-09-27, 12:39 AM
I think this would put me at level 4. 1 for the starter, 2 for blood (Assuming the standard blood donation is 2 units like I think it is, I should have 8 units), and 1 for being registered as a donor. I think. I should be registered as a donor, but I'm really bad at paperwork, so it's possible I'm only level 3 or even 2 if I got the blood thing wrong. I can't give any more blood because I have a condition that makes me high risk for anemia, but I totally would.

Zeb The Troll
2011-09-27, 01:00 AM
I think this would put me at level 4. 1 for the starter, 2 for blood (Assuming the standard blood donation is 2 units like I think it is, I should have 8 units), and 1 for being registered as a donor. I think. I should be registered as a donor, but I'm really bad at paperwork, so it's possible I'm only level 3 or even 2 if I got the blood thing wrong. I can't give any more blood because I have a condition that makes me high risk for anemia, but I totally would.I'm pretty sure one donation equals one unit. I find it unlikely that, after all the processing they have to do to take your blood in the first place, that they'd ship it somewhere to have that pint split in half before it's used in a hospital. If they wanted smaller units, I think they'd just take less at one time and let you donate more often. I could certainly be wrong, though.

@paddyfool - minor suggestion for the OP - make "donated a kidney" include "or any other organ".

http://www.transplantliving.org/livingdonation/

Knaight
2011-09-27, 02:53 AM
I'm pretty sure one donation equals one unit. I find it unlikely that, after all the processing they have to do to take your blood in the first place, that they'd ship it somewhere to have that pint split in half before it's used in a hospital. If they wanted smaller units, I think they'd just take less at one time and let you donate more often. I could certainly be wrong, though.

The issue with more, smaller donations is that it involves a lot more running of the machinery involved, which is in and of itself an expense, and that it relies upon people donating more often - and not everyone donates frequently. The people who only go a handful of times end up donating less that way, and the last thing needed is less blood in the system.

Zeb The Troll
2011-09-27, 05:45 AM
The issue with more, smaller donations is that it involves a lot more running of the machinery involved, which is in and of itself an expense, and that it relies upon people donating more often - and not everyone donates frequently. The people who only go a handful of times end up donating less that way, and the last thing needed is less blood in the system.All true, but the fact remains that the blood drawn would require even more handling, which is undesirable, if they then had to split it into two bags. Why not just draw into two bags while you're on the table? I'm sure they'd have the means to do it because they split off several containers of it for other testing before they take your pint as it is. If you've donated recently, you've seen the tangle of tubes and and vials and smaller bags involved in just one donation already. One more tube to one more bag wouldn't add any additional complexity.

Knaight
2011-09-27, 06:19 AM
All true, but the fact remains that the blood drawn would require even more handling, which is undesirable, if they then had to split it into two bags. Why not just draw into two bags while you're on the table? I'm sure they'd have the means to do it because they split off several containers of it for other testing before they take your pint as it is. If you've donated recently, you've seen the tangle of tubes and and vials and smaller bags involved in just one donation already. One more tube to one more bag wouldn't add any additional complexity.

Yeah, they should be able to just add a Y shaped tube somewhere and call it a day. Its not exactly complicated, and is nothing compared to the machines they use. Which involve several sensors and at least three centrifuges. More fewer makes no sense still, but I don't see any reason the Y tube wouldn't work.

Granted, I'm not an expert. Most of what I've learned donating can be boiled down to making sure the sensors show what they should, and manipulating a book with the hand attached to the arm without tubes coming out of it.

Zeb The Troll
2011-09-27, 09:12 AM
Granted, I'm not an expert. Most of what I've learned donating can be boiled down to making sure the sensors show what they should, and manipulating a book with the hand attached to the arm without tubes coming out of it.Indeed. "Yes, I'm still me. I'm still A+. I still wasn't born in England in the 80's. I still don't have a metal plate in my head." :smalltongue:

Knaight
2011-09-28, 06:54 AM
Indeed. "Yes, I'm still me. I'm still A+. I still wasn't born in England in the 80's. I still don't have a metal plate in my head." :smalltongue:
"No, I still haven't had a seizure. No, I don't have recent tattoos or piercings. Yes, I ate before coming to donate. Yes, I'm still fine with iodine. No, my trips to Europe did not take place prior to my birth. Yes, I'm sure about that one."

paddyfool
2011-09-28, 11:33 AM
Syka,

I calculate you're actually level 6-7: 1 starter + (2 or 3 blood) + 1 organ + 1 body + 1 recruitment. You'll be down as 6 on the graph as soon as I've updated it, incidentally.

bluewind95,

Once again, there's always signing up as an organ donor. 2 levels right there (one for doing it, plus the starter for looking up how).

Zeb The Troll,

Good point - will do!

Ashtagon
2011-09-28, 12:28 PM
Zero.

I'm not allowed to donate blood, for multiple reasons.

Also, I happen to be allergic to the bandages they use to cover the needle wound. Yes, this is as ridiculous as it sounds.

THAC0
2011-09-28, 01:24 PM
Zero.

I'm not allowed to donate blood, for multiple reasons.

Also, I happen to be allergic to the bandages they use to cover the needle wound. Yes, this is as ridiculous as it sounds.

There are other options for the bandaging. I'm allergic to adhesive, myself. No bandaids for me!

Asta Kask
2011-09-28, 01:42 PM
*is not allowed to donate*

*is sad because he doesn't get many levels*

:smallfrown:

The Succubus
2011-09-28, 06:12 PM
You can still gain levels in it Asta. All you need is a bathtub full of ice, a scalpel and some chloroform.

....at least that's what I've heard.

*cough*

Syka
2011-09-28, 10:55 PM
Syka,

I calculate you're actually level 6-7: 1 starter + (2 or 3 blood) + 1 organ + 1 body + 1 recruitment. You'll be down as 6 on the graph as soon as I've updated it, incidentally.

This is why I am not a mathematician. :)

Speaking of...I really need to go donate again, its been a while. I think February was my last donation?

bluewind95
2011-09-28, 11:16 PM
Syka,
bluewind95,

Once again, there's always signing up as an organ donor. 2 levels right there (one for doing it, plus the starter for looking up how).

If there's an accident and I lose my vital signs they wouldn't even TRY to resucitate me. Hence, my family disapproves of organ donation here.

paddyfool
2011-09-29, 01:43 AM
If there's an accident and I lose my vital signs they wouldn't even TRY to resucitate me. Hence, my family disapproves of organ donation here.

Where do you live?

KerfuffleMach2
2011-09-29, 07:45 AM

I know exactly how you feel. I'm 23 and I still freak out when the doctor has to draw blood for various testing.

I actually have to mentally prep myself for a moment, which includes deep breathing routines I learned from marching band.

If it wasn't for that, I would donate. And I do plan on donating my body to science when I die.

bluewind95
2011-09-29, 07:49 AM
Where do you live?

I live in Mexico.

paddyfool
2011-09-30, 06:46 PM
I live in Mexico.

Then this is very worrying for Mexico. If it's true at all of doctors there (presumably they'd be selling the organs to traffickers or hoping to make bank on performing a transplant themselves), then it means a horrific abuse of duty of care. And whether true or not, stories of this kind will of course put people off donation. Which in turn will increase the gap between supply and demand, driving up the price for black market organs, and the incentives to obtain them by whatever means.

All in all, a very worrying business. (http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth/features/2011/05/2011515153229450357.html)

Titanium Fox
2011-10-02, 01:22 AM
I'm fifth level.

Aurenthal
2011-10-03, 08:12 PM
Nice thread, I am currently level 0, since I am underage and can´t donate blood...

bluewind95
2011-10-03, 09:08 PM
Then this is very worrying for Mexico. If it's true at all of doctors there (presumably they'd be selling the organs to traffickers or hoping to make bank on performing a transplant themselves), then it means a horrific abuse of duty of care. And whether true or not, stories of this kind will of course put people off donation. Which in turn will increase the gap between supply and demand, driving up the price for black market organs, and the incentives to obtain them by whatever means.

All in all, a very worrying business. (http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth/features/2011/05/2011515153229450357.html)

Frightening. But... it's Mexico.

Mostly, it's not the doctors, as I hear. It's the paramedics. If you're a donor, you put it in your driver's license. If you then get into an accident, they check the license. You're not a donor, they do everything in their power to bring you back. You're a donor, you're dead and taken to the hospital to get your organs to save someone else.

RndmNumGen
2011-10-03, 10:08 PM
Level 2. Looked into donating blood, and have an organ donor card. I actually went to give blood once, but the person in front of me had a seizure while they were giving it which freaked me out and put me off doing it.

OverdrivePrime
2011-10-03, 10:23 PM
I'm level 7!
1 have looked into it
3 blood donor (I've donated more than 30, fewer than 40 times)
1 I've given plasma a few times
1 I'm on the organ donor register in my state
1 For recruiting plenty of blood donors

I've just gotten the OK to donate blood again, after 5 very long years away! I'm scheduled for a Double Red donation (http://www.redcrossblood.org/donating-blood/types-donations/double-red-blood-cells-donation) in just a couple weeks. Yay for five years sans-cancer! :)

paddyfool
2011-10-04, 12:54 AM
Never heard of Double Red donation before - I'm pretty sure we don't do that here in the UK. Fascinating, and kudos for the 5 years sans cancer!

Zeb The Troll
2011-10-04, 05:12 AM
I've just gotten the OK to donate blood again, after 5 very long years away! I'm scheduled for a Double Red donation (http://www.redcrossblood.org/donating-blood/types-donations/double-red-blood-cells-donation) in just a couple weeks. Yay for five years sans-cancer! :)Gratz on both counts!

Eldan
2011-10-04, 05:16 AM
Level 0. For some reason I can't quite fathom, I have an irrational fear of donating blood. It's strange: I can see blood without problem, even my own. I'm not scared of needles. But whenever I think of donating blood, my stomach turns.

Nargan
2011-10-04, 11:06 AM

I have had literally hundreds of needles, cannulas, tubes, etc. And most of the time it's fine, but sometimes if you're (i'm) not concentrating then I will faint because my logic centre turns off and all I think is "needleneedleneedleneedleneedleneedleneedleneedlebl ood".

I find it best to concentrate on something when getting needles, injections etc. Not the crappy talk the nurses give, that doesn't help. Just think about your favourite game, what you will do when you play it next, and plan etc.

Hope this helps.

...Unless you aren't exaggerating and have ACTUAL phobia, rather than the *cough* that many people spew about having phobias. In which case, you have my sympathy.

Haruki-kun
2011-10-04, 12:36 PM
Frightening. But... it's Mexico.

Mostly, it's not the doctors, as I hear. It's the paramedics. If you're a donor, you put it in your driver's license. If you then get into an accident, they check the license. You're not a donor, they do everything in their power to bring you back. You're a donor, you're dead and taken to the hospital to get your organs to save someone else.

Which is why I'm gonna drop a level when I get my new driver's license.

bluewind95
2011-10-04, 02:27 PM
...Unless you aren't exaggerating and have ACTUAL phobia, rather than the *cough* that many people spew about having phobias. In which case, you have my sympathy.

I don't have an actual phobia, though I will explain it as such to people who really don't need to know of the medical reason behind it. With some triggers (needles with pain being a major one), my vagus nerve will malfunction and my blood pressure will drop pretty suddenly and my pulse will race, then stop a few moments and then continue on its merry way (just slower for a while). This generally results in fainting or near-fainting (because I very quickly lie down and manage to avoid an outright fainting).

Because it feels so awful, I freak out when the symptoms start. And thus I just say "blood phobia" when people ask. Because they generally REALLY don't need to know the details. I hear that many people with a "blood phobia" really just have a problem similar to mine. They just don't know it and learn that they feel REALLY unwell when it happens and before you know it, they learn to freak out before the problems even start.

Seffbasilisk
2011-10-04, 03:36 PM
6-7 here I reckon.

I'm a regular blood donor (Gallon club member for years now), have given the double red maybe a score of time, plasma and platelets...

Even road-tripped to donate blood, and I try to talk people into giving blood when I can. When I got my tattoo and couldn't donate for a year, I recruited five people to donate with me my last time, to help offset the loss.

I'm O-, high in iron. The vampires love me.

Kindablue
2011-10-04, 04:04 PM
Level 0. For some reason I can't quite fathom, I have an irrational fear of donating blood. It's strange: I can see blood without problem, even my own. I'm not scared of needles. But whenever I think of donating blood, my stomach turns.

Yeah, I get that. Doctor's sense my power, and they seek my life essence. I don't avoid doctor's, but I do deny them my precious bodily fluids.

paddyfool
2011-10-05, 06:56 AM
BTW, for anyone in the UK, this is good watching (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b015pt7t/Transplant/).

Starwulf
2011-10-05, 06:24 PM
Sadly only a level 4, I used to be a regular blood donor, then I became diagnosed with Diabetes, which disqualifies me from doing it anymore. Also am an organ donor.

Hell, I gave blood once, and I had an adverse reaction to it, and ended up passing out, putting my head LITERALLY through a wall(it was just plaster though). Was kinda funny, because I remember right before I passed out, I was looking at a medical report talking about a patient passing out. Talk about irony.

Edit: Hmm, I forgot to add a point for "considering/looking into" being a donor, so I'm actually a 5.

Double edit: Oooh, Oooh! Actually, does talking/forcing a buddy to donate blood while in Basic Training count as "recruitment"? They were doing a blood drive during my BT, and I signed up, got him to go, then afterwards we had to run 2 miles around a dirt track(the rest of our platoon had to run 4, we got it cut in half since we donated, lol(NOT the reason I did it, of course).

paddyfool
2011-10-07, 06:19 AM
Double edit: Oooh, Oooh! Actually, does talking/forcing a buddy to donate blood while in Basic Training count as "recruitment"? They were doing a blood drive during my BT, and I signed up, got him to go, then afterwards we had to run 2 miles around a dirt track(the rest of our platoon had to run 4, we got it cut in half since we donated, lol(NOT the reason I did it, of course).

Yes, indeed it would. +1 for a starter + (presumably) 3 for your history of regular blood donation +1 for organ donor +1 for recruitment=6. Welcome to the top end of the graph (updated).

Seonor
2011-10-07, 05:17 PM
+1 for looking into donating
+2 for giving blood
+1 for being an organ donor (there is no registry in Germany, but I have a donor card)
+1 recruiting

Level 5,not bad.

Recherché
2011-10-14, 01:05 AM
Let's see . . .
Given blood a couple of times (+2 levels)
Given platelets once (+1 level)
Organ donor registry (+1 level)
Bone Marrow Registry (+1 level)
Marrow Donor (+2 prestige levels)

So total 5 base levels and two prestige levels. Nice.

Edit: Do I get any extra style points for donating blood at a con while cosplaying Vaarsuvius and (unsuccessfully) attempting to persuade a friend dressed as Nale to donate with me?

paddyfool
2011-10-15, 02:41 AM
@Recherche,

Our first prestige donor! Awesome. Also, you get the practically free starter rank for "looking into donation", making you level 8 (6/2). Think I'll put you in another colour on the graph for the prestige levels. And you really ought to win an extra point for style... maybe if we instituted a generic extra "good donation story" point. And if you'd successfully recruited anyone ever, there's an extra point there too.

BTW, real bone marrow, not even PBSCs? Extra kudos.

Recherché
2011-10-15, 03:39 AM
PBSCs actually, its just that almost no one knows the difference and explaining it is usually more work than I want to do.

FireJustice
2011-10-15, 04:40 AM
Hmm fun exercise

Starter Level (+1, already looked how to donate blood/organs)
Regular Blood Donor (+3, yet)
Given platelets once (+1)
Organ Donor registry (+1)
Bone Marrow donor registry (+1)
Recruiter (+1)

So I'm level 8.
I'm a constant recruiter because my fiance has leukemia (for 4 years now) .
Even thouh she's not compatible with any of her brothers, it's not that bad.
It turned out her form of leukemia (CML) can be treated with oral medication.

Forgot the starter level silly me

paddyfool
2011-10-15, 05:05 AM
FireJustice,

Don't forget the starting level! (It's mainly there to sift those who've wanted to, for instance, give blood but been ineligible from those who haven't, but it still counts). Level 8.

Recherché,

I can understand that. I'm a volunteer with the Anthony Nolan and I just put it as "there's two ways they might ask you to give...", without going into the technicalities.

EDIT: New point available for good donation stories. Currently, only Recherché gets it (taking her into the lead), but feel free to submit some stories even if you've posted already, and to give me an updated level for if I judge it point-worthy (so I don't have to trawl back through the thread).