PDA

View Full Version : Headphone Problems

SilverSheriff
2011-09-23, 11:50 AM
I'm not sure if this is covered by the new rules (as one hardly needs expertise or special job training to know a thing or two about hardware), but I've had some problems of late with my headphones, the left speaker keeps shorting out and it's happened every few months with several different brands of headphone. Could this be some sort of Hardware Issue with my Sound-card?

So far this problem has killed 1 pair of $50 Sony Headphones, 2 pairs of Turtlebeach Earforce Z2 headphones, and 3 pairs of cheap, $20, Dollar-shop Headphones so you can Imagine I'm wanting to get this situation rectified as soon as possible. :smallannoyed:

dehro
2011-09-23, 12:42 PM
does this mean that the headphones are broken as a result of being used in the 'puter, or do they still work with other equipment?
if they still work otherwise, my best guess would be that you have indeed something broken..could be your jack plug (I'm guessing that's the name of the holey bit where you plug your jack in..which sounds dirtier than I mean it).
I don't know that that's independent from the sound-card or independently repairable though..so...yeah..
if they are broken, then ...
http://benisawesome.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/waynesworld.gif

you're not supposed to do that with your headphones on.
seriously...they should not be broken/shorted for being used with broken equipment.

Mando Knight
2011-09-23, 01:18 PM
could be your jack plug (I'm guessing that's the name of the holey bit where you plug your jack in..which sounds dirtier than I mean it).

It's called a jack. But yes, it could be the 3.5mm jack that's damaged. Try using an USB adapter, another jack, or a set of speakers/headphones that you know work for troubleshooting. I know, for instance, that the 3.5mm jacks on my laptop are broken, so the mic on my headset doesn't work and I have to wiggle the connection a bit to get sound in both earphones when I plug the headset into those jacks. Instead, I'm using an adapter that came with my most recent headset, so I can plug it into one of my open USB ports rather than the damaged jacks.

Neftren
2011-09-23, 01:40 PM
Yeah it sounds like your 3.5mm jack is bugged, if it's only the left side going dead.

Do the headphones perform fine on another computer?

SilverSheriff
2011-09-23, 06:47 PM
Yeah it sounds like your 3.5mm jack is bugged, if it's only the left side going dead.

Do the headphones perform fine on another computer?

No, the left headphone still refuses to work on my MP3 player, and I've tested the earbuds that came with my Mp3 player in the computer and they work fine but I know for a fact that if I were to use them with the computer for a month or two they'd short out as well.

does this mean that the headphones are broken as a result of being used in the 'puter, or do they still work with other equipment?

Yes, no as above, respectively.

I don't know that that's independent from the sound-card or independently repairable though..so...yeah..
if they are broken, then ...
http://benisawesome.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/waynesworld.gif

you're not supposed to do that with your headphones on.
seriously...they should not be broken/shorted for being used with broken equipment.

the only times I've headbanged are in the 3 fits of rage I got into when playing All Points Bulletin: Reloaded, although I don't know if it's really headbanging anymore if I'm cussin' up a storm (with my Mic off, as I respect myself and other gamers enough not to be that annoying *******-gamer).

It's called a jack. But yes, it could be the 3.5mm jack that's damaged. Try using an USB adapter, another jack, or a set of speakers/headphones that you know work for troubleshooting. I know, for instance, that the 3.5mm jacks on my laptop are broken, so the mic on my headset doesn't work and I have to wiggle the connection a bit to get sound in both earphones when I plug the headset into those jacks. Instead, I'm using an adapter that came with my most recent headset, so I can plug it into one of my open USB ports rather than the damaged jacks.

As long as they cost no more than $8 I might look into picking one of these adapters up.