PDA

View Full Version : Barbarain PrC questions

JackRackham
2011-09-23, 01:40 PM
One of my PCs is a barbarian who's prestiged to Bear Warrior. His intention was to then take Frenzied Berzerker after level 5 of Bear Warrior (Brown Bear). He's cooled on that some, since he's concerned about not being able to control frenzy the same way he can control rage (I think utility is as much a concern as attacking the party. If his frenzy is wasted, the class becomes worthless).

There are ways to prevent him from killing his party (Hold Person). That's not my concern, necessarily. My first question for the playground is, what are some other +1-2 Barbarian PrCs he can qualify for in the next level or two that would actually work and fit?

He's a Half-Orc, Barbarian 7, Bear Warrior 4: Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, Extra Rage. He rolled really nice stats, I think 21, 18, 16, 10, 14, 10 or something right now (1 pt of that is an inherent bonus). Otherwise, aside from the elephant he rides everywhere, he's your standard Orc Barbarian with a Great Axe.

My other question: Would it be unreasonable to make a feat that allowed a Berzerker to control his frenzy completely (I'm aware that this would remove ALL drawbacks/danger from the class)? What about just a +5 or +10 to will saves for the purpose of controlling or ending a frenzy? Thoughts?

Daftendirekt
2011-09-23, 01:44 PM
Now why the heck did he take seven levels of Barbarian? IMO, 2 is usually enough to get all the important stuff -- rage, fast movement (or pounce), and uncanny dodge (or Improved Trip).

But, whatever. Have you looked at the Runescarred Berserker in Unapproachable East? Barbarian with a smidgen of casting.

JackRackham
2011-09-23, 01:48 PM
Now why the heck did he take seven levels of Barbarian? IMO, 2 is usually enough to get all the important stuff -- rage, fast movement (or pounce), and uncanny dodge (or Improved Trip).

But, whatever. Have you looked at the Runescarred Berserker in Unapproachable East? Barbarian with a smidgen of casting.
I'm glad you asked. For a couple reasons: The party was mostly noobs at first. They're learning more about optimization and how to play as they go along. Also: He wants to be illiterate. He refuses to take any class that would grant him literacy. He likes playing an illiterate savage barbarian type.

gallagher
2011-09-23, 01:52 PM
it seems like he already has his character in play, and so he isnt likely to change his guy. he is both feats and, more than likely, serious skill points away from the berserker. otherwise yeah, runescarred berserker is, in my humble opinion, the best PRC for the barb

but i wonder if he would be able to switch out one feat, say great cleave, for IUS, and with his lvl 12 feat (next level) grabbing frozen berserker, throw in some RP for the special requirement, to take frostrager? you could even in-character make him go white for a pseudo-polar bear look while raging in bear form.

Big Fau
2011-09-23, 01:53 PM
I'm glad you asked. For a couple reasons: The party was mostly noobs at first. They're learning more about optimization and how to play as they go along. Also: He wants to be illiterate. He refuses to take any class that would grant him literacy. He likes playing an illiterate savage barbarian type.

Strangely, most Barbarian PrCs do not have the Illiterate ability and thus grant literacy to a Barbarian who doesn't all ready have it.

JackRackham
2011-09-23, 01:59 PM
it seems like he already has his character in play, and so he isnt likely to change his guy. he is both feats and, more than likely, serious skill points away from the berserker. otherwise yeah, runescarred berserker is, in my humble opinion, the best PRC for the barb

but i wonder if he would be able to switch out one feat, say great cleave, for IUS, and with his lvl 12 feat (next level) grabbing frozen berserker, throw in some RP for the special requirement, to take frostrager? you could even in-character make him go white for a pseudo-polar bear look while raging in bear form.

He has the necessary skill points. I changed one of the feats in the entry requirements for Frenzied Berzerker (I feel the specific feats required were pretty arbitrary. The House-Rule is Extra Rage and Destructive Rage). He can take it after the next time he levels up.

JackRackham
2011-09-23, 02:02 PM
Strangely, most Barbarian PrCs do not have the Illiterate ability and thus grant literacy to a Barbarian who doesn't all ready have it.

Whatever. I ruled a long time ago that if he wants to remain illiterate OOC, a Barbarian-specific PrC wouldn't make him a reader. That's the character he wants to play, and it has minimal impact mechanically, so...

Hirax
2011-09-23, 02:02 PM
If you're willing to waive the PAINFUL feat requirements, you could let him take Primeval from Frostburn. Berserk is a prc from deities and demigods that might have some appeal to him.

JackRackham
2011-09-23, 02:29 PM
He's a Half-Orc Barabarian. He loves his axe like a fine, fine woman.

Keld Denar
2011-09-23, 02:30 PM
If you want to build on the "illiterate and barely housebroken" aspect of the Barbarian, Fist of the Forest is a pretty nice PrC. You can fit it nicely between Barbarian4 and Bear Warrior1, even, since its full BAB. It gives you a decent UAS damage, which combos nicely with your Claw/Claw/Bite attack routine (punch/kick/elbow/claw/claw/bite).

Another classic Barbarian PrC that goes well with that combo is Frost Rager, from Frost Burn. Channel your innter Polar Bear, RAWR!

JackRackham
2011-09-23, 04:18 PM
My other question: Would it be unreasonable to make a feat that allowed a Berzerker to control his frenzy completely (I'm aware that this would remove ALL drawbacks/danger from the class)? What about just a +5 or +10 to will saves for the purpose of controlling or ending a frenzy? Thoughts? Anything??????

Zonugal
2011-09-23, 04:30 PM
Anything??????

Instead of building a feat that nullified the one control-aspect of a Frenzied Beserker, you could instead pick up that one feat that uses constitution for will saves.

Quietus
2011-09-23, 04:40 PM

Do you use Incarnum? Totemist (base class) retains Illiteracy, and would allow access to Totem Rager or whatever it's called. Worth a look if you use that book.

Midnight_v
2011-09-23, 04:43 PM
My other question: Would it be unreasonable to make a feat that allowed a Berzerker to control his frenzy completely (I'm aware that this would remove ALL drawbacks/danger from the class)? What about just a +5 or +10 to will saves for the purpose of controlling or ending a frenzy? Thoughts?

One already exists. Cumberous Will. As long as he's not immune to fear anyway.

Big Fau
2011-09-23, 04:51 PM
Anything??????

I honestly don't think it would break the game. The developers overrated the +10 Str the class grants, since Bear Warrior gives a bigger bonus.

The real draw of FB is actually the improved Power Attack damage. That's where the real power comes from.

Starbuck_II
2011-09-23, 04:54 PM

It is in Book of Exalted Deeds already.

So making a sepeate but equal feat seems arbitary and redunant.