PDA

View Full Version : GenGame: TTRPG

BurntSquirrel
2011-09-23, 01:42 PM
So, I'm not sure where to put this, but I think here, in the Homebrew Design section, as this is a homebrew. A whole new game homebrew. If this does not belong here, then...do whatever it is you do to get rid of it or move it.

The Preface

So, you may have heard of this comic called GenGame (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203367). It's a comic about a game; A game called GenGame.

GenGame (the game, not the comic), is a fictional, team based, strategy-oriented, MMORPG. It takes place in a randomly generated, conglomeration of a world.

I am not sure there is a genre name for the genre, so I will take the time to name it right now. It will be called "Glom". This is because it is unlike any other setting. Or rather, it's exactly like every other setting. It is every other setting. All of them combined into one! There's magic, and swords, and subways, and lazers, and monsters, and aliens, and eldritch horrors, and...EVERYTHING!

In this game, you are part of a team that must face off against an opposing team of players. You must try and win the game through several different means.

But I digress. Enough about the game. More about the point.

The Point

I was inspired when I read this comic. I, myself, wanted to play this game. And so, I decided, I would make this into an actual game. Maybe not a video game, but something that I could do on my own without programming knowledge. So, I thought, it's an RPG; that's only one step away from a Table Top RPG.

But before I could actually do this, there is one thing I needed. Permission from the author of this comic...Domochevsky (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=42418).

Well, just yesterday, I got just that. Permission. I am now fully capable of making this happen! His only request was that I put my work down somewhere he can see it. So! Here I am! I am making this happen!

I am making GenGame: The Table Top Role Playing Game.

The Game

SO! I've described a bit of what GenGame is like, but I'm now going to go into fuller detail.

First, before you can even play the game, there needs to be a world to play on. This is done rather simply actually. In most games, the GM must make everything up himself. He must create points of interest, plot hooks, towns and townspeople, and quests.

In GenGame, however, the world is completely randomized. Well...mostly randomized. There are a few statics.

In an average session of GenGame, there will be two bases, or Mechano-Fortresses. They will be placed on opposite sides of the map. Then, in the middle, there will be (usually) seven territories arranged into a hexagon with one in the middle. If you ordered them into rows from top to bottom, it would go 1, 2, 3, 2, 1 (if that makes any sense).

These territories will be randomized from a list. I'm thinking it should be a list of 100. Maybe more. So, really, all you need to do is roll 1d100 and then place that territory in its place.

Then there are classes. Each class, like in most games, have their own benefits and downfalls. Strengths and weaknesses.

I want the classes to be somewhat simple and refined. Nothing too complex. It should run smoothly like a video game.

The classes at the moment, however, are complex and...weird. If you read the comic, you will see that the spy has something called "genres". This seems to be rather overbearing, and too much. You need to switch genres to use different skills. And since you can switch genres at will it doesn't seem useful. Not to mention the sheer number of genres that are possible.

And then there's the Mechanist. As a Mechanist, you can simply whip up an army of thousands of robots and sit back and relax as they do all the work. This can easily be fixed by setting a limit to the number of minions you can make, though.

NOW! Onto the purpose of the game.

The Purpose

In this game, you will play as part of a team. The whole purpose of the game is to win. To win, there are several different methods:

1. You can simply eliminate the other team.

2. You can capture or destroy the enemy team's Mechano-Fortress.

3. You can gain control of all other territories

4. Possibly some other special conditions, like, I dunno, finding the four artifacts of power of something. I dunno.

This game is very strategy oriented. You must work as a team to win. While, yes, "charging in blindly firing" can be considered a strategy, it's not a very good one.

Hmmm...I expected this section to be longer...

The Classes

There are several different classes. They include, but are not limited to:

-Gunner
-Soldier
-Spy
-Psion
-Priest
-Mechanist
-Blademaster

I am not entirely sure on everything a class can do, so, I'm going to take some creative liberties and make stuff up. Domochevsky, if you see something you don't like, just tell me.

Gunner: The Gunner, as the name implies, uses guns. They are a ranged combatant, obviously. They are best known for sniping. I'm going to assume that they will eventually get better skills at aiming, the ability to quickly reload/change ammo types, and more ammo types (like armor piercing rounds or rounds that explode on impact).

Soldier: The Soldier is a melee/leader hybrid. It is good for fighting head on and leading others from the front lines. They are strong and good with, I'm guessing, pretty much all weapons, but not great.

Spy: The Spy is stealth incarnate. You won't know it's there until it's too late. They can turn invisible, and disguise themselves as your ally. However, it seems a little too over powered at level one, being able to turn invisible. I do believe I will change it so that you get that ability later on, rather than immediately. Disguises, however, can be seen through.

Psion: The Psion is possibly the most powerful damage dealer class. It can use its mind to twist reality to its whim and send blasts of energy towards you. The downside is that it has a limited supply, and if you run out, you're screwed. The Psion will probably be able to Hadouken at some point, just decimating everything in it's path.

Priest: The Priest is your basic healer. They aren't very offensive, but will be able to keep the others alive longer than you can stand. They will grow to be able to summon force shields, heal their entire team at once, and maybe even resurrect the dead.

Mechanist: The Mechanist doesn't act much. They instead have their robots do the work for them. They build armies to do their bidding, upgrade weapons and machines, and build devices of death.

Blademaster: The Blademaster, unlike the Soldier, is more of a sword person. They wield as many swords as they can (two). They are skillful fighters, parrying and dodging, and striking when you make a mistake. They will usually carry more swords than they can wield, so that they always have the right one for the situation at hand.

For classes, I'm thinking of making them each have two major stats. Hit Points (HP) and Skill Points (SP).

HP is kinda obvious. It is how much damage you can take before dying.

SP is what you use to do special things. You need SP to heal, to turn invisible, to build minions, to perform special attacks, and to just generally own.

Some classes will have more SP than HP (like the Psion), and others will have more HP than SP (like the Soldier).

And then there are...

The Territories

I'm going to make a list of 100 territories. This way, you can roll 1d100 and select the corresponding territory to place in the world.

Each territory has its own race of animal (like tiger or rat or deer). They have their own history and society, and will react differently to different things. They will also start with different dispositions towards each side. If they like you, they will supply you with quests and equipment. If not, then prepare to fight.

Here is an example territory that I made up:

THE FORGED MOUNTAINS
These mountains of metal and stone are home to the great Badger Lords (yes, I've been reading too much Red Wall). They are gruff and hardy, yet friendly to outsiders (though they never leave their home).

At the center of the mountains is a great forge from which many a great weapon and armor has been made. Only the most respected are allowed there.

You can find all sorts of equipment here, though much of it is above your price range. And stealing is not a good idea, as the Badgers are very powerful and well equipped.

There are many possible quests to appear here:
-A monster of great darkness has infiltrated the Forge.
-An item of the Badger Lord has been stolen.
-A test of physical prowess against the Badgers.

The End

So, that's mostly what I have so far. I might have missed some things (this took me three days to write, so I lost train of thought a few times), but I tried my best to remember.

I will change things as I get more stuff figured out, but for now, I just want to get this over with (three days is enough for me).

flabort
2011-09-23, 04:34 PM
[Message Redacted: Enjoy Gencola!]

Otherwise, I really like this. Needs more expansion-only classes, but that comes later.

Slartibartfast
2011-09-25, 11:13 AM
In an average session of GenGame, there will be two bases, or Mechano-Fortresses. They will be placed on opposite sides of the map. Then, in the middle, there will be (usually) seven territories arranged into a hexagon with one in the middle. If you ordered them into rows from top to bottom, it would go 1, 2, 3, 2, 1 (if that makes any sense).

Hold on here. Seven territories? 1+2+3+3+1=9. That would look like:
..M
.TT
TTT
.TT
..M

I think you meant for the "territories" at the ends to be the mechanofortresses, because that's what you described earlier. Might want to clarify that.

Beyond that, I would advise taking a look at the most recent MG plotline (September 4 on the calendar search) to get a better grasp of Mechanist mechanics (tee hee), because most of the changes you mention are already part of the game. Also remember that a Mechanist needs Cores to create minions (explained near the beginning of the comic).

If you have enough spare time you may want to reread the entire comic from front to finish, including the crucial GiTP thread chatter where we explain/invent the rules so this all makes sense.

Some of the simplifications you have could work, but part of the soul of GenGame was that it had been made needlessly complicated like standard MMOs. That complexity and randomness defines the game in a sense, as well as allowing us (and Domo) to constantly do new things without too much explanation. Personally I quail at the thought of removing genres and styles, and really want to see those brought back. I'm in my first week of college right now, but someday when I have a life I'll try to help design a good RPG system fro GenGame.

Morph Bark
2011-09-25, 11:17 AM
So this will be GenGame: The Game based on the Comic based on the Game? :smalltongue:

(Even though the game the comic is about is a fictional one.)

Slartibartfast
2011-09-25, 06:39 PM
Yeah, that seems to be the basic idea here.