PDA

View Full Version : The Colonization of Australia - Looking for Source Material

Comet
2011-09-23, 01:59 PM
As per the title, I am looking for academic texts, publications, literature, articles, anything you might know that is about the colonization of Australia.

I am mainly interested in how the settlers, particularly of the first few waves, reacted to being thrown into this new, exotic and dangerous land and how they interacted with it. In a sense I am looking for the 'image' of Australia as a colony frontier, both historically and in fiction. How have we perceived this land in the past and how has that period of colonization been portrayed in more modern fiction?

The backgrounds and more personal experiences of the colonists is also an interesting subject and any works dealing with that would be most appreciated.

The relations between the colonists and the aboriginals is also, understandably, at the core of this whole study.

This is all for a project at uni (nothing too serious, mind, so no pressure). If any of you have had any interest in the subject and have come across written works that you could name here as interesting and relevant, I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks in advance!

edit: Come to think of it, I sure could do with sources that aren't as strictly academic in nature. So feel free to namedrop movies or any other fiction that deal with this stuff, I'm sure I could use those too.