PDA

View Full Version : D&D PC games on sale!

Janus
2011-09-23, 02:07 PM
http://www.gog.com/en/page/dnd_promo
Gotta love GOG.com, especially since I've been waiting for BGII to go on sale for a while now.
This weekend only, so you better get them soon if you want them.

I had never heard of Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone before. Is it any good?

Cogwheel
2011-09-23, 02:26 PM
Not a clue. Already picked up BG2 and ToEE, though!

Get Planescape, by the way. In fact, buy it twice. It's the best thing.

Janus
2011-09-23, 03:03 PM
I'll see about Planescape. I actually have BGII, Icewind Dale 1&2, Demon Stone, and NWN downloading at home right now. I actually still have my physical copy of NWN, but it'll be nice to play it without a CD, not to mention the fact that I've never played any of the expansions.

Enjoy ToEE. The game could have used a little more polishing, but overall it's the best representation of tabletop gaming I've seen in a CRPG.

Mx.Silver
2011-09-23, 03:14 PM
Get Planescape, by the way. In fact, buy it twice. It's the best thing.

Very much this

JadedDM
2011-09-23, 04:04 PM
I only have Baldur's Gate, out of that list (but without the ep). Ooh, I'm sorely tempted to just grab the whole lot.

Triaxx
2011-09-23, 04:08 PM
ToEE is awesome, and once you've played it quite a bit, then you can download the Circle of Eight mod. It makes the game even more awesomer.

Kesnit
2011-09-23, 05:30 PM
I bought Planescape from GOG over the summer. However, I already had BGI and II (with expansions), Icewind Dale I and II, and NWN. None bought from GOG. So If I buy ToEE or Demon Stone, I'd only get credit for Planescape. :smallfrown:

Deth Muncher
2011-09-23, 05:36 PM
Sure, because I haven't wasted enough money on games already. :P Also, since they're all here, what're some fun mods for all of these? I know there's one that lets you run BG1 with BG2 graphics and classes, and the aforementioned Circle of 8 mod for ToEE. Anything else?

Cespenar
2011-09-23, 05:41 PM
Get Planescape and BG2, people. I'm serious. This is my serious face.

Janus
2011-09-23, 05:43 PM
Not sure on any specific mods, per se, but NWN has (or at least had) a massive community, so there are tons of modules and whatnot.
http://nwvault.ign.com/ is a good site for that.

Deth Muncher
2011-09-23, 05:48 PM
Also, derp computer question, but since I can't make it not install on my harddrive, if it installs and I move it to my external, am I going to have problems?

Eldonauran
2011-09-23, 07:41 PM
Also, derp computer question, but since I can't make it not install on my harddrive, if it installs and I move it to my external, am I going to have problems?

You shouldn't*. As long as you edit the .ini file to reflect the new directory locations.

*=At least in my experience with BG1, BG2, IWD1, IWD2 and Planescape tells me.

Trazoi
2011-09-23, 07:51 PM
I already own most of the list and play them now and again, but it's worth picking up in GOG format so I don't have to juggle a hojillion CDs. Plus GOG usually has the soundtracks available for download separately and the music for these games is really top notch.

JadedDM
2011-09-23, 07:52 PM
I've never even heard of Demon Stone or Dragonshard. Are either of them any good?

Janus
2011-09-23, 10:11 PM
According to the reviews, if you liked the Lord of the Rings movie games, you'll like Demon Stone (especially since you can switch between characters whenever you'd like). I've downloaded it, but haven't tried it yet.
Dragonshard's a real-time strategy (with some dungeon crawl segments, apparently), so I didn't bother with it.

JadedDM
2011-09-23, 10:29 PM
Which LotR games, though? The only one I've played is The Third Age, and I hated it.

Janus
2011-09-23, 10:54 PM
Two Towers and Return of the King, the two where you just ran around beating the crap out of everything.

Trazoi
2011-09-23, 11:04 PM
I loved Return of the King, but that's because it was a blast playing with my brother as Gimli and Legolas having a orc killing competition and mocking Aragon for stealing all the glory in the cutscenes, that mooching jerk.

Still, if you're buying all the other games then the way the discount is calculated then the game is a few cents so it looks like a steal at that price.

Janus
2011-09-23, 11:32 PM
I just played Demon Stone a shot, and I really enjoyed it so far. It's very simplistic, but it throws you straight into the action, and I had a lot of fun with it. The characters' banter is interesting to listen to (granted, I'm tired, so that may be affecting my judgment), and the soundtrack's awesome. The actual fighting sound effects could use a lot more umph, but that's my only real gripe so far (along with the lack of camera control).

I'd recommend it. I'm enjoying it a lot more than Daggerdale, that's for sure.

JadedDM
2011-09-24, 12:41 AM
Oh, man. This is so tempting. I'm considering buying the whole lot, even Baldur's Gate I, despite the fact I all ready own it. But just to save me the trouble of having to constantly switch disks while playing. Also, all of these games come with the expansion packs, don't they? Not a bad deal for $3-5 each.

Gorgondantess
2011-09-24, 02:30 AM
If you haven't already, this is the time: buy Planescape. NOW. Best RPG ever. Not for its time- just, ever. Period.
I'm thinking of buying BG II from this deal, and will probably pick up Planescape if I do so: while I own the 4-disc dealio, it's kindof a pain, and all the discs are so badly scratched up it's... well, problematic. Suffice it to say, they have been well loved.:smallbiggrin:

boj0
2011-09-25, 01:34 AM
Thank you so so so so soooooooo much for posting this.
I'm going to get BG2, Planescape, and NWN Diamond right now! :smallbiggrin:
/utter nerd joy

BladeofObliviom
2011-09-25, 01:42 AM
I had never heard of Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone before. Is it any good?

I actually got the game for PS2 for my birthday a few years back. It's pretty fun, and reminds me significantly of The Two Towers and Return of the King games that I played in my later youth.

Besides, it's probably the only DnD Video Game I can think of that gives Slaad any respect, and you get Magical C4 "Beads of Force" after the second level. :smalltongue:

JadedDM
2011-09-25, 01:43 AM
Okay, I caved and bought the whole lot of them. This ought to keep me occupied for the next couple of years.

Janus
2011-09-25, 09:24 AM
I wound up getting everything, too (except Dragonshard, and I already had BG1 and ToEE). Nearly didn't get Planescape, but after the repeated recommendations I finally got it. Played it for a few minutes last night, and I'm looking forward to playing it more.

Thank you so so so so soooooooo much for posting this.
No problem! :smallbiggrin: