PDA

View Full Version : Best way for a fighter to fly?

Scorpions__
2011-09-23, 05:03 PM
I'm looking for the most affordable ways for a Human Fighter levels 1 - 30 to fly. I'd rather them not depend on the party for spells.

Are Winged Boots the way to go? 16 000gp for 3, 5 minutes sessions a day?

Ideas?

DM[F]R

herrhauptmann
2011-09-23, 05:10 PM
Phoenix cloak from MiC is one of my favorites.

BRC
2011-09-23, 05:10 PM
Trebuchet.

Starbuck_II
2011-09-23, 05:14 PM
I'm looking for the most affordable ways for a Human Fighter levels 1 - 30 to fly. I'd rather them not depend on the party for spells.

Are Winged Boots the way to go? 16 000gp for 3, 5 minutes sessions a day?

Ideas?

DM[F]R
Average Maneuverbility
Well, Broom of Flying is 9 hrs/day for 17K.
Carpet of Flying (I) is unlimited Dur, 40 ft speed, 20K (but 200 lbs max)
Carpet of Flying (II) is unlimited Dur, 40 ft speed, 35K (but 400 lbs max)
Cloudwalker Anklets: Air walk at will, 50K

Good maneuverbility:
Winged Boots 3 times, 5 minutes,60 ft, 16K
Winged Vest: 5 times, 5 rd, 60 ft, 12 K
Wings of Flying: at will, 60 ft, 54K.

Perfect:
Pheonix Cloak: Fly, At will, 30 ft, 50K

Greenish
2011-09-23, 05:14 PM
Here are some ways:
Flight

Why you need it: Two reasons. One, the tactical advantage of not being constrained to two dimensions is... invaluable. Really, if two people are fighting, and only one of them can fly, the earthbound one is going to die unless the relative power difference between them is massive. Second, it's useful for getting around, for everything from crossing a chasm to making sure you're attacking the Wizard's tower from the top down, not the ground up.
Cheap:

Amber Amulet of Vermin: Giant Vasp (MIC). 800GP, throat slot. Once per day, get a flying bug thing to carry you around for one minute.
Wand of Swift Fly (SpC). 4500GP, held. Swift action activation, flight (as Fly spell) for one round. Requires the ability to activate Sorcerer/Wizard Wands or a DC 20 Use Magic Device check. If you prefer a permanent but less versatile solution, use an eternal Wand (MIC) instead, which changes the price to 4420GP and limits the use to 2/day.
Owlfeather Armor (MIC). 8160GP, body slot. Fly three times per day (40', good maneuverability) for five rounds. Swift action activation, has some secondary benefits.
Cloak of the Dragon (CChamp). 6000GP, shoulders slot. Fly speed equal to your land speed, maneuverability not specified, for 10 minutes once per day.
Reins of Ascension (MIC). 3300GP, throat slot. Allows your mount (nothing preventing you from using it yourself, I suppose, but you'll look kinky as hell) to briefly fly by expending 2 or 3 of the 3-per-day charges.
Dragonscale Cloak (MIC). 5000GP, shoulders slot. Winged flight (60', good maneuverability) for 2 hours per day. Swift action activation. Unfortunately, it's a relic.

Standard:

Feathered Wings graft (FF). 10000GP, slotless. Demon wings are grafted onto your body, yummy! All-day flight, average maneuverability, twice your land speed. Drives you bonkers if you're not Evil.
Winged Mask (MoF). 13000GP, face slot. Can cast Fly at will, which means you're recasting it every 5 minutes for all-day flight. Also makes you glow for some reason. Be wary of Dispel Magic, as the CL on this thing is only 5.
Phylactery of Change (AEG). 11200GP, head slot. All-day Polymorph up to 7HD, with some limitations. Not particularly good for in-combat flight (unless you build around Polymorph somehow), but a great item for general utility.
Broom of Flying (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#broomofFlying). 17000GP, ridden rather than worn. It's not all-day (only 9 hours), it's not very fast, and you can get knocked off. Still possibly your best bet in a core-only game.
5x5 Carpet of Flying (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#carpetofFlying). 20000GP, ridden rather than worn. The all-day, more comfortable version of the Broom.

Deluxe:

Phoenix Cloak (MIC). 50000GP, shoulders slot. All-day flight at your land speed, with perfect maneuverability, no bells or whistles.
Horseshoes of Flame (SS). 30240GP, feet slot (presumably). Not for you, but your horse, which turns into a smart magic nightmare thing that flies at a speed of 90', with good maneuverability, for 21 hours/day total. Use Magic Device it to cheese it onto yourself.
Wings of Flying (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#wingsofFlying) (DMG). 54000GP, shoulders slot. The core go-to for true personal permaflight. More expensive than the Phoenix Cloak, and only good maneuverability. But this one's flight speed is fixed at 60', which can be an advantage over the Phoenix Cloak if you are slow as a halfling wearing full plate.

Not recommended:
Hawkfeather Armor (MIC), Skin of Celestial/Fiendish Embrace (MIC), Winged West (MIC), Figurine of Wondrous Power -Bronze Griffon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicitems/wondrousitems.htm#bronzeGriffon) or Ebony Fly (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicitems/wondrousitems.htm#ebonyFly) (DMG), Wild Shape Amulet (MoF), Horseshoes of a Zephyr (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicitems/wondrousitems.htm#horseshoesofaZephyr) (DMG), custom item of continuous Swift Fly (DMG, SpC), Feathered armor enhancement (DotF), Winged Shield (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#wingedShield) (DMG).

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-23, 05:18 PM
Average Maneuverbility
Well, Broom of Flying is 9 hrs/day for 17K.
Carpet of Flying (I) is unlimited Dur, 40 ft speed, 20K (but 200 lbs max)
Carpet of Flying (II) is unlimited Dur, 40 ft speed, 35K (but 400 lbs max)
Cloudwalker Anklets: Air walk at will, 50K

Good maneuverbility:
Winged Boots 3 times, 5 minutes,60 ft, 16K
Winged Vest: 5 times, 5 rd, 60 ft, 12 K

Perfect:
Pheonix Cloak: Fly, At will, 30 ft, 50K

You forgot the best flying item ever (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#wingsofFlying) (except for maybe Phoenix Cloak).

Hirax
2011-09-23, 05:19 PM
Uh, not to sidetrack, but is it really necessary for you to take fighter all the way to 30? There are multiple classes you could enter that would probably improved your character overall and get you flight in the process.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-23, 05:21 PM
Uh, not to sidetrack, but is it really necessary for you to take fighter all the way to 30? There are multiple classes you could enter that would probably improved your character overall and get you flight in the process.

Warblade should be played instead. /crusader when you get into epic.

Oh! Just realized another thing for flight. Raptoran.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-09-23, 05:21 PM
Damn it greenish I was going to link that thread >_< :smalltongue:

The best option immy opinionmis tge feathered wings graft.

For a non magical option there is always Wing aspect dragomborn or Raptoran.

Anderlith
2011-09-23, 05:23 PM
Eternal Wand of Fly

Greenish
2011-09-23, 05:34 PM
Eternal Wand of FlyWhich the fighter can't activate.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-23, 05:38 PM
Which the fighter can't activate.

Giacamo's fighter can! :smallwink:

Greenish
2011-09-23, 05:45 PM
Giacamo's fighter can! :smallwink:I'm not sure UMD can replicate "be an arcane caster". Well, it might count as a class feature, in which case eternal wands would be as easy to activate as regular wands.

herrhauptmann
2011-09-23, 06:03 PM
Oh yeah, Celestial armor, winged shield, and Phantom Steed (custom item at CL 14)

Gavinfoxx
2011-09-23, 06:05 PM
Schema of Swift Fly!

... For the Artificer to persist! =D

Amphetryon
2011-09-23, 06:35 PM
The wing grafts from FF (in the list from Greenish's post) are probably the best overall value, as a slotless item.

ericgrau
2011-09-23, 07:01 PM
At epic levels armor of the celestial battalion is your best bet. It's on 24/7, like a friggin' peter pan. Also the best total armor + dex bonus.

At low levels I'll add potions of fly. 750 a pop but you probably only need them for emergencies at low level (if ever). Probably should only carry 1 at a time. Better yet get 375 gp scroll of fly for your casters, assuming they're team players. Cheaper but less useful options are levitate and spider climb at 300 each.

Alleran
2011-09-23, 07:59 PM
Trebuchet.
That's not flying. That's falling... with style. :smallcool:

Gavinfoxx
2011-09-23, 08:45 PM
Potions of fly are ONLY 50 gp less expensive than an amber amulet of vermin: giant wasp... ... yea... talk about a really really really bad value...

sreservoir
2011-09-23, 09:43 PM
the magic of faerūn amber amulets were one-use! but yes, potions suck.

avr
2011-09-24, 12:00 AM
Buy a hippogryph or griffon and get some ranks in Ride. Make sure you also get a feather fall token!

Talya
2011-09-24, 12:29 AM
Trebuchet.

Ha. I was thinking catapult. Yours is better.

ranagrande
2011-09-24, 12:36 AM
The most affordable way?

100 gp. Become a Dragonborn. :smalltongue:

Little Brother
2011-09-24, 11:23 AM
Roll up a wizard. Or a Druid. Or a Cleric. Or a sorcerer. Or a Favored Soul. Or a Psion. Or a Wilder. Or a ANYTHING not a fighter.

Zaq
2011-09-24, 11:33 AM
Human, you say? That's handy.

Level 1 feat: Dragontouched (DM)
Level 1 human feat: Dragon Wings (RotD)
Level 6 feat: Improved Dragon Wings (RotD)

There you go. True fly speed. Just refluff away all that annoying draconic flavor.

Alternatively, take Aberration Blood, another fun aberrant feat, and Starspawn, all of which are from LoM. Dragon Wings are better overall, but the Starspawn chain doesn't have to be started at 1st level, and it can be used to pick up other goodies as well (aberrant feats aren't spectacular, but they've got a couple fun tricks to them).

Anderlith
2011-09-24, 02:08 PM
Which the fighter can't activate.

He can't have a minion (read as "another party member") do it for him?

Abaddon87
2011-09-24, 04:06 PM
Ring of Solar Wings (BoED) isnt cheap... (118,000gp) but for 150ft Good Maneuverability fly speed and auto Feather Fall backup safety feature its not bad! And if you already have wings or a fly speed this ring just ups your natural or current speed!

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-24, 04:13 PM
He can't have a minion (read as "another party member") do it for him?

Tencharacters

Leon
2011-09-24, 04:18 PM
Group with a Caster who is not stingy with buffs (like a lot of what i see on here seem to be)

Coidzor
2011-09-24, 04:20 PM
I see no mention of warbeast yet.

Why is this?

They're really, really affordable past the low levels where you don't need flight.

I think they kinda cap out a bit before the Roc as being useless except out of doors and then after the Roc the only things better in terms of HD are so big that they're more suitable for building cities upon than riding into combat...

sreservoir
2011-09-24, 04:37 PM
great, now I want to build a city on a giant flying creature, got any suggestions for which creature?

Xtomjames
2011-09-24, 04:38 PM
How about being a half-fiend and getting the flight from that? To be honest the best way to fly is to play a race that has it as an Extraordinary ability so you won't have the chance of losing the ability in an anti-magic field or it being dispelled.

You could go the Eberron route and get yourself one of those mini-hover bike things they have. If you have the money a ring of permanent flight would work. You could get a hold of a ring of three wishes and just wish yourself to have wings. Getting wing grafts could also work.

Coidzor
2011-09-24, 04:39 PM
great, now I want to build a city on a giant flying creature, got any suggestions for which creature?

Flying whales. Fax Celestis' revamp (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198573)is about the only example I can think of that can be shared though.

Abaddon87
2011-09-24, 04:43 PM
Isnt there a monster (Devil I think) that is some kind of Graft-Master you can summon and it can give you grafts x/day for free? Would that work for "free" wings?

Hiro Protagonest
Isnt there a monster (Devil I think) that is some kind of Graft-Master you can summon and it can give you grafts x/day for free? Would that work for "free" wings?

Fighter can't do that.

faceroll
Increase your speed and keep max ranks in jump. Eventually you'll be able to jump faster than you fall. Every +10 ft of speed you get gets you +4 jump. By level 30, it should pretty easy to jump 200+ feet.

Roll up a wizard. Or a Druid. Or a Cleric. Or a sorcerer. Or a Favored Soul. Or a Psion. Or a Wilder. Or a ANYTHING not a fighter.

Wow, that's so helpful.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-24, 04:44 PM
Increase your speed and keep max ranks in jump. Eventually you'll be able to jump faster than you fall. Every +10 ft of speed you get gets you +4 jump. By level 30, it should pretty easy to jump 200+ feet.

And get Martial Study: Sudden Leap. Now you get to double jump once per encounter!

Dr.Epic
2011-09-24, 04:49 PM
There are plenty of races that have wings. Check one of thems out.

Abaddon87
2011-09-24, 04:50 PM
Fighter can't do that.

No but with WBL you should be able to pay a wizard who can...

Just trying to think outside the box here :smalltongue:

faceroll
2011-09-24, 05:11 PM
There are plenty of races that have wings. Check one of thems out.

Human, is, unfortunately, not amongst them.

Coidzor
2011-09-24, 05:24 PM
Raptoran. Dragonborn, since it's not like you need the human feat if you're going to go for a full 30 levels of Mr. I am Made Out of Feats. Dragonborn Raptoran...

Dragonwrought Kobold + Dragon Wings feat. Or just dragon wings feat on a kobold.

Wild Cohort Feat. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a)

PrCs that give you a flying mount. A 3-4 level dip into (Cloistered) Cleric 1 and then PrC Paladin 2-3 for special mount progression and all of the good class features of the paladin.

Hell, if you're planning on going for 30 levels, you have more than enough to spare to go wildshape ranger or druid for 5-6 levels in order to get a flying form with a bite attack and get the mouthpick weapon property on something for when you need to fly.

Leadership or Dragon Cohort for a flying mount cohort. Close Cohort from Dragon Magazine 346 can raise the ceiling on cohort ECL by 1.

Dragon Steed is strictly inferior to Dragon Cohort without special mount levels to progress it and get better ones, but it is also a feat-based method of getting a flying mount.

Beastmaster dip + Natural Bond feat gets you effective Druid level 7 for animal companions which are easily and freely replaceable.

Thrallherd (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/thrallherd.htm) can be grabbed by using 2 feats, Inquisitor for the Thrallherd feat requirement and Practiced Manifester to meet the ML requirement and a level of Ardent or Psion (Telepath) to qualify, and other than thrallherd levels doubledipping for the thrallherd's "leadership" score, any other level progresses it just fine and it doesn't take penalties for using them as disposable and they're replaced in 24 hours.

Hidden Talent, IIRC, doesn't grant a manifester level, but you can get a psicrystal with a feat at ML 1, and then progress it with improved psicrystal to make it more powerful and give more benefits to your character for each personality added to the psicrystal, though you'd need to get the Psicrystal PAO'd into a mount. Otherwise, you could just use feats to grab the psicrystal, progress it up until is has the HD of the flying mount form you want, and get it turned into a mount with half your HP.

Scorpions__
2011-09-25, 01:27 PM
Wow, thanks for the input everyone, I'll definitely look into re-configuring the wealth of these fighters, probably starting with a Amber Amulet at low levels and working up to the celestial battalion.

They're NPCs that I've statted out from level 1 - 30, not my PC, I labelled the file 'Generic Human Fighters.' They're just useful to have.

DM[F]R

Gavinfoxx
2011-09-25, 04:49 PM
Make the fighters Knights, ie mounted charger types, and make sure that their warsteeds follow this sort of thing:

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10396.0

Heck, a level 4 druid can summon and dismiss Dire Bats... so yea.

sreservoir
2011-09-25, 05:24 PM
incidentally, winged mask is really nice -- it gives fly at will (with light side-effect), instead of just continuous flight, so a single mask means flight for the whole party, if you stay together. duration and caster level suck, but.

Starbuck_II
2011-09-25, 10:07 PM
Human, is, unfortunately, not amongst them.

If you gave him Winged Template he can. Savage Species lets you pay gold/exp for a template after creation of character in the Ritual section of book.