PDA

View Full Version : Vote Up A Paladin Fix! The "Gray Guard" a Mundane Paladin [3.5, Base Class]

Ziegander
2011-09-23, 05:06 PM
The Paladin

As Established In...
Round 1 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11621804) --- Round 2 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213175) --- Round 3 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214472)

Design Notes

Okay, well, community interest in this project seemed to die down significantly after the 2nd round to the point that the 3rd round really just kind of died out. In the light of those events, I took it upon myself to design the class without voting up elements as I had originally intended, using the votes and voter feedback I'd gotten from the first two rounds and the limited information I obtained from the defunct 3rd round. This is a purely mundane Paladin without spellcasting, martial maneuvers, or supernatural abilities that focuses on Protection, Healing, Smiting, and being an all-around do-gooder, with a touch of leadership potential. The aim is to produce a Tier 3 class on par with a Crusader as it pertains to dealing out the justice in a whole new way. The inspiration is The Batman, as you will see, and I think the class turned out really well. The chassis is strong, with d10 HD, all good saves, and 6 skill points per level, but I believe he needs all of that to function properly, and I hope you'll agree. This was hammered out through multiple phases and trials and it took me longer than I expected to finish. Enjoy!

http://th04.deviantart.net/fs47/PRE/f/2009/211/e/c/Medieval_Fantasy_Batman_by_chriss2d.jpg

"People think it's an obsession. A compulsion. As if there were an irresistible impulse to act. It's never been like that. I chose this life. I know what I'm doing. And on any given day, I could stop doing it. Today, however, isn't that day. And tomorrow won't be either. I made a promise on the grave of my parents that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. I've been to too many funerals..."

The Paladin is a man whose devotion is given to two sides of the same coin: defend the righteous/destroy the wicked. By whatever means necessary, the Paladin will ensure that the innocent are protected and that foul deeds do not go unpunished. His skill set is well-suited to those aims and he is possessed of the moral flexibility to ensure that a crisis of faith never stops him from getting the job done. A masterful combatant, the Paladin is also a skilled tracker and a scholar of ancient arts - some white, some black. Combining martial training with naturalistic skills and alchemical knowledge, the Paladin can offer medicine to friends and punish foes with dark rituals. He is whatever Good needs him to be, sometimes a knight shining, but also sometimes far more dirty.

Alignment: Any Non-Evil
HD: d10

Level
Base Attack Bonus
Fort
Ref
Will
Special
Resources

1st
+1

+2

+2

+2
Defiant Stand, Guardian's Glare, Smite Evil (+1d6)

--

2nd
+2

+3

+3

+3
Track, Resourceful Craftsman

3rd
+3

+3

+3

+3
Smite Evil (+1d6, -1)

4th
+4

+4

+4

+4
Warning Shout

5th
+5

+4

+4

+4
Smite Evil (+2d6, -1)

6th
+6/+1

+5

+5

+5
Mettle

7th
+7/+2

+5

+5

+5
Smite Evil (+2d6, -2)

8th
+8/+3

+6

+6

+6
Bolstering Cry

9th
+9/+4

+6

+6

+6
Smite Evil (+3d6, -2)

10th
+10/+5

+7

+7

+7
Improved Smite

11th
+11/+6/+1

+7

+7

+7
Smite Evil (+3d6, -3)

12th
+12/+7/+2

+8

+8

+8
Defense of the Heart

13th
+13/+8/+3

+8

+8

+8
Smite Evil (+4d6, -3)

14th
+14/+9/+4

+9

+9

+9
Impetuous Endurance

15th
+15/+10/+5

+9

+9

+9
Smite Evil (+4d6, -4)

16th
+16/+11/+6/+1

+10

+10

+10
One For All

17th
+17/+12/+7/+2

+10

+10

+10
Smite Evil (+5d6, -4)

18th
+18/+13/+8/+3

+11

+11

+11
Improved Mettle

19th
+19/+14/+9/+4

+11

+11

+11
Smite Evil (+5d6, -5)

20th
+20/+15/+10/+5

+12

+12

+12
Aura of Command

Class Skills (6 + Int modifier): Balance, Bluff, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Disguise, Escape Artist, Gather Information, Handle Animal, Heal, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (all skills, taken individually), Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock, Ride, Search, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival, Swim, Tumble, Use Magic Device, and Use Rope.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
A Paladin is proficient with all simple and martial weapons as well as the bola and net. A Paladin is proficient with light and medium armors as well as shields (but not Tower Shields).

Defiant Stand (Ex): At the start of his turn, as a free action, a Paladin may enter (or end) a heroic fervor, called a Defiant Stand, filling himself with adrenaline and forcing his enemies to fight on his terms. He may spend a total number of rounds in Defiant Stand per day equal to 2 + his Constitution modifier + his Paladin level. These rounds need not all be taken consecutively, however, after his Defiant Stand ends, the Paladin is Fatigued for twice the number of consecutive rounds.

During a Defiant Stand, both the Paladin and unfriendly creatures within 5ft per Paladin level treat that area as difficult terrain. For the duration, the Paladin deals extra damage and gains Fast Healing each equal to his Charisma modifier, and delays all hit point damage dealt to him.

Hit point damage dealt to the Paladin is added to a delayed damage pool, rather than subtracted from his hit points. At the end of his Defiant Stand, the Paladin is dealt an amount of damage equal to that in his delayed damage pool. If an attack that deals hit point damage to the Paladin carries an additional effect such as poison or stunning the Paladin makes any associated saves upon being subject to the attack, but does not suffer the additional effect, even on a failed save, until the end of his Defiant Stand.

Defiant Stand offers a Paladin no additional protection against effects that do not directly deal hit point damage, such as the Sleep or Slay Living spells, or the Medusa's Gaze.

Guardian's Glare (Ex): A Paladin is a staunch defender of his allies and even at 1st level his presence on the battlefield is difficult to ignore. Whenever an enemy within 5ft per Paladin level attacks one of the Paladin's allies, for 1 round, he treats that enemy as evil for the purposes of his other class features (see below). Furthermore, enemies in the area with an Intelligence of 3 or higher are well aware of this threat and suffer a -5 penalty to attack rolls against the Paladin's allies as they shrink under the Paladin's piercing gaze.

The Paladin and any potentially effected foe must both be able to see each other for Guardian's Glare to function; however, simply averting one's eyes offers no protection. Guardian's Glare does not penalize creatures whose CR is higher than the Paladin's level by 4 or more, but those creatures may still draw the Paladin's ire if they attack his allies while within range.

Smite Evil (Ex): The presence of the wicked incenses a Paladin, propelling his strikes with righteous fury and eventually unsettling the forces of darkness by his very presence. Such is the Paladin's hatred for evil that he deals an additional 1d6 points of damage any time he attacks an evil creature as he attempts to exterminate the creature with raw savagery. This extra damage increases by 1d6 at 5th level and every four levels thereafter.

Starting at 3rd level, when the Paladin stands near to a foul creature the fire of his indignation is palpable, causing evil creatures threatened by the Paladin to suffer a -1 penalty to AC and saving throws. This penalty increases by 1 at 7th level and every four levels thereafter. This penalty is a Mind-Affecting, Morale effect.

Track (Ex): 2nd level; as Ranger. A Paladin may use the Gather Information skill, rather than the Survival skill, to track creatures in an urban environment.

Resourceful Craftsman (Ex): Starting at 2nd level, a Paladin gains the ability to craft any item, even magical items, as though he possessed a caster level equal to his Paladin level and without needing access to spells that might normally be required to craft an item as long as their spell level does not exceed half his Paladin level. He must still possess the relevant item creation feats to craft magical items, but he uses his virtual caster level to meet the prerequisites of those feats. A Paladin cannot scribe scrolls unless he actually knows spells to scribe the scrolls from.

Furthermore, the Paladin is able to use his network of resources to make crafting items cheaper and easier, gaining a pool of Resource Points at each character level. When crafting items, he may exchange these points on a one-for-one basis for XP or on a one-for-ten basis for gold pieces. Any points left unused carry over to the next level's pool. When using a weapon, armor, or shield he has crafted himself he is treated as though proficient with that piece of equipment, though he does not gain the proficiency feats (for example, a Paladin isn't proficient with equipment made by someone else).

Warning Shout (Ex): Starting at 4th level, a Paladin may spend 2 rounds of his Defiant Stand for the day as an immediate action to remove the flat-footed condition from allies within 5ft per Paladin level. This effect benefits the Paladin himself and may be used even if the Paladin is himself flat-footed or during a surprise round.

Mettle (Ex): 6th level; as Hexblade.

Bolstering Cry (Ex): Starting at 8th level, a Paladin may spend 4 rounds of his Defiant Stand for the day as an immediate action when an ally within 5ft per Paladin level is reduced to 0 or fewer hit points. That ally gains a number of temporary hit points equal to 1d6 per two Paladin levels. A Paladin may not target himself with this ability.

Improved Smite (Ex): Starting at 10th level, when a Paladin attacks an evil creature he overcomes DR, regeneration, and immunity to critical hits.

Defense of the Heart (Ex): Starting at 12th level, a Paladin may spend 6 rounds of his Defiant Stand for the day as an immediate action to grant allies within 5ft per Paladin level an additional saving throw against a single condition or ongoing effect suffered by those allies. This effect benefits the Paladin himself and need not apply to the same affliction for each ally affected.

Impetuous Endurance (Ex): 14th level; as Knight.

One For All (Ex): Starting at 16th level, a Paladin may spend 8 rounds of his Defiant Stand for the day as an immediate action to grant allies within 5ft per Paladin level the benefits of Defiant Stand. This effect is not mandatory for allies, however the Paladin must enter Defiant Stand upon activating it. Allies continue to benefit from the effect as long as they remain within range and as long as the Paladin remains in his Defiant Stand. Allies are not fatigued at the end of their Defiant Stand though the Paladin is as normal.

Improved Mettle (Ex): 18th level; as it sounds like.

Aura of Command (Ex): Starting at 20th level the range of the Paladin's class features increases from 5ft to 10ft per Paladin level. Furthermore, when the Paladin hits an evil creature with an attack it is subject to a Command as the spell (Will negates; DC 10 + 1/2 Paladin level + Charisma modifier).

<hr>

Alternate Class Features
Devoted Leader
A Devoted Leader Paladin gives up some of his healing ability to better command the actions of his allies. He must be ready to take his 8th or 16th class levels.

Coordinate Movement (Ex): Replaces Bolstering Cry. Starting at 8th level, a Paladin may spend 4 rounds of his Defiant Stand for the day as an immediate action to grant allies within 5ft per Paladin level an immediate move action. This effect is not mandatory and does not benefit the Paladin himself.

Coordinate Effort (Ex): Replaces One For All. Starting at 16th level, a Paladin may spend 8 rounds of his Defiant Stand for the day as an immediate action to grant allies within 5ft per Paladin level an immediate standard action. This effect is not mandatory and does not benefit the Paladin himself.

TheLash
2011-09-23, 05:58 PM
I really like this. It is really powerful, but I had a Paladin NPC in mind but I did not wish to use the Core 3.5 Paladin. This works perfectly.

SamBurke
2011-09-23, 06:10 PM
This is neat, but it lacks the fluff connection: it says that they can "choose" to be a paladin or not... but all that there is to prove that is a lack of a code.

Good BAB, three good saves, moderate damage additionally (usable on literally EVERYONE he's going to face...), it's not a bad melee class. I'd take it.

Ziegander
2011-09-23, 07:46 PM
This is neat, but it lacks the fluff connection: it says that they can "choose" to be a paladin or not... but all that there is to prove that is a lack of a code.

I don't remember writing that anywhere... what makes you think that?

moderate damage additionally (usable on literally EVERYONE he's going to face...), it's not a bad melee class. I'd take it.

Well, non-Evil creatures that are stupid/mindless or don't attack his friends don't take the Smite Evil damage, but yeah, most of the time, and that's the point really.

The Underlord
2011-09-23, 07:57 PM
So to me this looks like a tier 3 class. Why?
The three situttaion examples are
Killing an ABD
He is pretty good at this with defiant stance and smite evil
Contact an underground crime lord(or something similar)
6 skill point per level and diplomacy, gather information, bluff and tracking, he is all over this
Help a city prepare for an invasion
During the invasion, if he has the ACFs he can boost all his allied soldiers, while debuffing enemys.

So overall, my guess would be tier 3.

A Weeping Angel
2011-09-23, 11:24 PM
Not good with the crunch but really like the overall feel of the class.

nonsi
2011-09-24, 01:48 AM
Great work - fluff and crunch wise.
A solid tier-3 + the most accurate feel of what the Paladin should be.

There are only 3 things I would change:
1. Guardian's Glare shouldn't affect opponents who are so many levels of CR beyond a paladin's level. I mean, a balor wetting his pants because a 3rd level paladin is staring at him – not too likely (I went to the extreme on purpose, but the notion is clear, I guess).
2. Resourceful Craftsman is nonfunctional until a paladin burns feats, and it serves the character during downtime. This doesn’t feel very Paladin-y and doesn’t make much sense for a mundane class (I mean, Eyebite... Fireball... Irresistible Dance... Symbol of Insanity... Hideous Laughter – not really). I’d change it to something along the lines of the Soulknife’s enhancements, but grant powers like True Strike, Bless Weapon, Ghost Strike, Holy Sword, Righteous Might (even though it’s not a weapon property) and other stuff along that theme (maybe some stuff that resembles Devoted Spirit maneuvers & stances) – all usable at a split-second decision, so many times per ______ (whatever you feel like).
3. Defiant Stand shouldn't protect against things that would destroy a paladin's body or against polymorph, just as it wouldn't protect one against teleportation (it's not written per se).

Ziegander
2011-09-24, 03:51 AM
Great work - fluff and crunch wise.
A solid tier-3 + the most accurate feel of what the Paladin should be.

Thank you, glad you like it overall.

1. Guardian's Glare shouldn't affect opponents who are so many levels of CR beyond a paladin's level. I mean, a balor wetting his pants because a 3rd level paladin is staring at him – not too likely (I went to the extreme on purpose, but the notion is clear, I guess).

Good point.

2. Resourceful Craftsman is nonfunctional until a paladin burns feats, and it serves the character during downtime.

Not nonfunctional. Even without any feats it allows him to craft alchemical items and offers him a slight increase to WBL to be used only for the purposes of crafting. He can use this slight bump for nonmagical purposes, such as caltrops, manacles, masterwork tools, a spyglass, even mithril full plate.

This doesn’t feel very Paladin-y and doesn’t make much sense for a mundane class (I mean, Eyebite... Fireball... Irresistible Dance... Symbol of Insanity... Hideous Laughter – not really).

I'm not sure you're interpreting the class feature right. He has no ability to cast any spells, he is simply able to craft magic items without needing spells. So, with the Brew Potion feat, for example, he can mix up potions of Invisibility or Neutralize Poison. With the Craft Magic Arms and Armor feat he can craft a Flaming Longsword, or a Fortification Breastplate.

3. Defiant Stand shouldn't protect against things that would destroy a paladin's body or against polymorph, just as it wouldn't protect one against teleportation (it's not written per se).

It protects specifically against damage and any effects riding on damage. It has no effect on those things you mention, but for completeness I'll clarify that.

nonsi
2011-09-24, 05:06 AM
Not nonfunctional. Even without any feats it allows him to craft alchemical items and offers him a slight increase to WBL to be used only for the purposes of crafting. He can use this slight bump for nonmagical purposes, such as caltrops, manacles, masterwork tools, a spyglass, even mithril full plate.

Ok, that's my bad forgetting alchemy requiring spelcasting abilities (never regarded this reastriction actually).

I'm not sure you're interpreting the class feature right. He has no ability to cast any spells, he is simply able to craft magic items without needing spells. So, with the Brew Potion feat, for example, he can mix up potions of Invisibility or Neutralize Poison. With the Craft Magic Arms and Armor feat he can craft a Flaming Longsword, or a Fortification Breastplate.

I believe my interpretation was accurate.
I'm just saying that to overcome conditions, you could incorporate a better worded IHS description into one of the other class featuress (probably Defense of the Heart - self applied only, of course).
As for on-the-fly Crusaic/righteous/zealous effects – they seem a lot more thematically sound for the role than something that’s being gained in a workshop. Invisibility (or even Wail of the Banshee – your rules don’t prohibit items with such powers) is not something I’d associate with the Paladin’s role. also, since the Paladin has Hide & Move Silently as class skills, Invisibility is not really essential.
And in general, I see no reason to give this class access to 9th level effects, since you went for tier-3, not tier-2.

Ziegander
2011-09-24, 05:48 AM
As for on-the-fly Crusaic/righteous/zealous effects – they seem a lot more thematically sound for the role than something that’s being gained in a workshop.

Ah, well, remember that this class was built using the feedback of the Vote Up A Paladin threads, and is in no way meant to be a Paladin Redux using the traditional themes of a 3.5 Paladin. This Paladin is decidedly not a Crusader or Zealot. He's more methodical and down-to-earth. He's more Indiana Jones than Don Quixote. More Batman than Superman.

Invisibility (or even Wail of the Banshee – your rules don’t prohibit items with such powers) is not something I’d associate with the Paladin’s role. also, since the Paladin has Hide & Move Silently as class skills, Invisibility is not really essential.

Okay, sure, but Invisibility and Neutralize Poison were just examples. He can make any potions he wants to. Also, I was tempted to give the Paladin 8 skill points per level, because he's REALLY skill starved. He needs a whole lot of skills to function properly, in my mind anyway. Just having the skills on your list doesn't mean you've got ranks in them.

And in general, I see no reason to give this class access to 9th level effects, since you went for tier-3, not tier-2.

This is certainly something for me to consider. It be a perfectly reasonable thing to limit the spells he is able to ignore to up to 7th level spells (close to 1/3 his class level, but just slightly higher) and then increase his Resources a bit. But as is, a Wail of the Banshee item is only available to an 18th level Paladin who has taken Craft Wondrous Item, so in that context I feel like it's totally fine and appropriate. We're talking about 18th level here, he's had plenty of exposure to insane death magic by now to find the proper materials to craft something like this if he's got the training (the feat) for it. I don't consider this breaking into Tier 2 though. He's using his wealth by level to approximate a 9th level spell effect, something anyone can do, he's just a little better at it.

Ziegander
2011-09-25, 02:09 PM
Possible new table:

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort|Ref |Will|Special|Resources

1st|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+2|Defiant Stand, Guardian's Glare, Smite Evil (+1d6)|
--

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+3|Track, Resourceful, Craft (1st)|

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+3|Smite Evil (+1d6, -1)|

4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+4|Warning Shout, Craft (2nd)|

5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+4|Smite Evil (+2d6, -1)|

6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+5|
+5|Mettle|

7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+5|Smite Evil (+2d6, -2), Craft (3rd)|

8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+6|
+6|Bolstering Cry|

9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+6|Smite Evil (+3d6, -2)|

10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+7|
+7|Improved Smite, Craft (4th)|

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+7|
+7|
+7|Smite Evil (+3d6, -3)|

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+8|
+8|
+8|Defense of the Heart|

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+8|
+8|
+8|Smite Evil (+4d6, -3), Craft (5th)|

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+9|
+9|
+9|Impetuous Endurance|

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+9|
+9|
+9|Smite Evil (+4d6, -4)|

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+10|
+10|
+10|One For All, Craft (6th)|

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+10|
+10|Smite Evil (+5d6, -4)|

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+11|
+11|Improved Mettle|

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+11|
+11|Smite Evil (+5d6, -5), Craft (7th)|

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+12|
+12|Aura of Command|
[/table]

Possible new features:

Resourceful (Ex): Starting at 2nd level, the Paladin is able to use his network of resources to make crafting items cheaper and easier, gaining a pool of Resource Points at each character level as given in the table above. When crafting items, he may exchange these points on a one-for-one basis for XP or on a one-for-ten basis for gold pieces. Any points left unused carry over to the next level's pool.

A Paladin is proficient in the use of any item he has crafted himself, though he does not gain the proficiency feats (for example, if a Paladin crafts a bastard sword he is proficient with it, but he is not proficient with items crafted by others aside from his normal weapon and armor proficiency as given above).

Craft (Ex): At 2nd level, a Paladin gains the ability to craft any item, even magical items, as though he possessed a caster level equal to his Paladin level and without needing access to spells that might normally be required to craft an item as long as their spell level does not exceed the spell level listed in the above table (1st at Paladin 2, 2nd at Paladin 4, 3rd at Paladin 7, and so on).

He must still possess the relevant item creation feats to craft magical items, but he uses his virtual caster level to meet the prerequisites of those feats. A Paladin cannot scribe scrolls unless he actually knows spells to scribe the scrolls from. This ability and the Scribe Scroll feat will not suffice.

Does that seem more reasonable to anyone or do we like it as is?

nonsi
2011-09-25, 03:41 PM
I Like the changes.

Note: If the 2nd paragraph of "Resourceful" is a bonut and not some sort of way to say "ignore the weapon proficiencies in the OP - paladins don't get any", then you better state it out, because "(for example, a Paladin isn't proficient with equipment made by someone else)" could sure be interpreted as a penalty.

EDIT: One thing's not clear. The ability is called "Craft", but I don't see what's the role of Craft skill in it (except for creating your own mundane equipment - but that's irrelevant to class features, as far as I can tell).

Ziegander
2011-09-25, 04:04 PM
I Like the changes.

[quote]Note: If the 2nd paragraph of "Resourceful" is a bonut and not some sort of way to say "ignore the weapon proficiencies in the OP - paladins don't get any", then you better state it out, because "(for example, a Paladin isn't proficient with equipment made by someone else)" could sure be interpreted as a penalty.

Good point, good point. I'll attempt a revision.

EDIT: One thing's not clear. The ability is called "Craft", but I don't see what's the role of Craft skill in it (except for creating your own mundane equipment - but that's irrelevant to class features, as far as I can tell).

What's not clear about it? You seem to understand how the ability is intended to work perfectly. Magical crafting is not done using the Craft skills, and neither is crafting done through the Craft ability. In fact, it would be unnecessarily crippling to the Paladin if it was, forcing the Paladin to use all of his skill points per level on multiple Craft skills to get any use out of the feature.