PDA

View Full Version : Good Templates For A Tomb Spider?

Gorfang113
2011-09-23, 05:10 PM
So, as a boss of a spider themed dungeon I have a Tomb Spider (MM4).The problem ive hit is that even fully advanced it only reaches CR 11, while my PC's are lv. 12 and have more people than normal. So I need some good templates to apply to it to raise its CR by that last 1 or 2.

Fluffy Gryphon
2011-09-23, 05:27 PM
If it was my campaign, I'd just give it a variation of the Beholder's eye ray attacks. Unexpected and mean. :smallwink:

Anarchy_Kanya
2011-09-24, 01:56 AM
You can advance monsters higher then is written in the MM, it's just a guideline.
If you really need a template then use Half-fiend. You can't go wrong with Half-fiend.

Runestar
2011-09-24, 04:15 AM
You can advance monsters higher then is written in the MM, it's just a guideline.
If you really need a template then use Half-fiend. You can't go wrong with Half-fiend.

You mean except the part where it uses CL24 blasphemy against lv12 PCs? :smallbiggrin:

Lolth-touched is always useful (+6str/con for +1cr).

I can tell you however, that it likely won't be as strong as its cr lets on, mainly because it is still limited to just 1 bite attack each round for a paltry 3d6+1.5str mod damage. My solution to this? Martial study feat and lvs in warblade...:smallcool:

Thus, my recommendation is lolth-touched advanced tomb spider (24HD) warblade1 (cr13). This gives you up to 7th lv maneuvers. Be sure to take martial study thrice prior to warblade so you can quickly qualify for the higher lv ones. :smallsmile:

Fouredged Sword
2011-09-24, 10:21 AM
I second this, and point out that martial study feats allow you to learn ANY of the schools.

Counter charge is always something that suprises the party fighter. Shadow hand can get you some nice teleportation. Dimond mind is likely your best focus for warblade, with the save boosters makeing Save or Die's much less effective.

Note this will slaughter a party that isn't prepared for a tough fight. If you have all the save manuvers and some nice cross path counters like countercharge it will take considerable resorces just to blow through it's automatic shutdowns of most attacks.

The Glyphstone
2011-09-24, 10:26 AM
So, as a boss of a spider themed dungeon I have a Tomb Spider (MM4).The problem ive hit is that even fully advanced it only reaches CR 11, while my PC's are lv. 12 and have more people than normal. So I need some good templates to apply to it to raise its CR by that last 1 or 2.

Give it minions? It's raise the CR of the fight, and also reduce the action-economy advantage the PCs have.

Gorfang113
2011-09-24, 11:52 AM
Right, so im gave it lolth touched as sugested, and I would love to give it warblade, but I don't have Tome of Battle, so :smallfrown:. I do like the minions idea, I think i will give it a few of its web mummies to fight along. I was planning on them having all been killed by that point, but a few more cant hurt. And it will be fun, cause that means that the spiders have action economy, and if the PCs try and kill the mummies then they get swarmed. Thanks for the advice, I will have to see how this goes today.