PDA

View Full Version : Faster wild shape?

person29
2011-09-23, 09:30 PM
Hi all,

I feel like I've seen something like this before but I may be crazy

Does anyone know if there are any magic items that allow wildshaping in a faster amount of time? (move or free action)?

If so, what item/book?

Thanks

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-23, 09:35 PM
What level are you?

person29
2011-09-23, 09:35 PM
Currently 8th

Ernir
2011-09-23, 09:36 PM
Don't know about a magic item, but there is the Fast Wild Shape feat from Complete Divine feat, which reduces it to a move action, and the Swift Wild Shape feat from Complete Champion which further reduces it to a swift action.

Gavinfoxx
2011-09-23, 09:37 PM
Here's a question.... at 8th level... why are you ever NOT in wild shape if you expect a fight at all? At least a tool using form with that cheap pearl that lets you talk? You could totally be in Wild Shape 24/7 at 8th level. Really, it's no big deal.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-23, 09:40 PM
Currently 8th

Them why do you need it? 3 uses of wild shape, 8 hours each, means you're wild shaped all day. Use it at the start of the day and keep it, and since you're only awake for 16 hours anyway, you can have an extra use left over.

person29
2011-09-23, 09:43 PM
Its not for me, im DMing its for a player in my campaign.

He likes to use his wildshape for more than just combat...scouting ahead, combat, distracting foes, so he doesnt necessarily use all 8 hours of the wildshape

What is the pearl that was mentioned before that allows you to talk?

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-23, 09:48 PM

He likes to use his wildshape for more than just combat...scouting ahead, combat, distracting foes, so he doesnt necessarily use all 8 hours of the wildshape

Leopard form. Tiger form. Lion form. Stay in one of those all eight hours.

Lateral
2011-09-23, 09:53 PM
Leopard form. Tiger form. Lion form. Stay in one of those all eight hours.

Not to mention Fleshraker form.

olentu
2011-09-23, 10:04 PM

What is the pearl that was mentioned before that allows you to talk?

Probably a pearl of speech from the magic item compendium.

Gavinfoxx
2011-09-24, 04:00 AM
That's exactly it. Have you read the Druid Handbook on the best forms you have access to at that point? And he should be using wildshape for EVERYTHING. Flying, swimming, living, sleeping, scouting, extraction of poison (get a friend to milk you!), transportation of yourself and party members, spying, etc. etc.

He has access to Fleshraker, Desmodu Guard Bat, Swindlespitter, Polar Bear, Rhino, Cave Anklyosaurus, Giant Octopus, Heavy Warhorse... GREAT GREAT forms... no reason to ever not be wild shaped..

The Shadowmind
2011-10-23, 11:17 AM
Mantle of the Beasts lets you wild shape as a swift action, but it would take up most of your 8th level wealth.
CChamp pg 140, 18,000gp

Psyren
2011-10-23, 11:46 AM
(get a friend to milk you!)

And they say necromancers are squicky...

Safety Sword
2011-10-23, 04:46 PM
... extraction of poison (get a friend to milk you!)...

DM: OK, you're settling down for the night making camp. Who is watching tonight?
Player1: I am, but first I milk the druid.
Druid Player: You what?

DM: Roll a Craft (Uncomfortable Moment) check.

OK, back to the topic. I know feats exist to make druids able to shape faster, longer, stronger etc. But do they really need the help?

And plus, they tend to turn up to inns in bear form going "1 room for the night please", which already freaks out the locals.

Gavinfoxx
2011-10-23, 04:55 PM
That... doesn't actually freak out the locals in as many settings as you would assume. Just kinda saying. Lots of D&D settings are fantastically crazy, like the setting the DMG gives the numbers for... that has a ton of high level people with weird powers in every city and town..

And no, Druids don't really need the help. They ARE one of the more powerful classes in the game already. But its fun to have a druid that focuses on one or two of his strengths.

For example, a Druid that focused on Wild Shape might have:

Natural Spell
Multiattack
Exalted Wild Shape
Dragon Wild Shape
Frozen Wild Shape

And might spend quite a bit of her time walking around as a Steel Dragon, which is a very much city-dwelling, erudite and knowledgeable form. Plus it can talk naturally and is Medium.

Safety Sword
2011-10-23, 05:45 PM
That... doesn't actually freak out the locals in as many settings as you would assume. Just kinda saying. Lots of D&D settings are fantastically crazy, like the setting the DMG gives the numbers for... that has a ton of high level people with weird powers in every city and town..

And no, Druids don't really need the help. They ARE one of the more powerful classes in the game already. But its fun to have a druid that focuses on one or two of his strengths.

For example, a Druid that focused on Wild Shape might have:

Natural Spell
Multiattack
Exalted Wild Shape
Dragon Wild Shape
Frozen Wild Shape

And might spend quite a bit of her time walking around as a Steel Dragon, which is a very much city-dwelling, erudite and knowledgeable form. Plus it can talk naturally and is Medium.

It's a talking bear. So, take that as you will.

No matter how magical the place, a bear walking down the street is probably going to raise eyebrows. Unless, you know, there are real wild bears just milling around town. Then I guess people won't care.

Flickerdart
2011-10-23, 05:49 PM
It's a talking bear. So, take that as you will.

No matter how magical the place, a bear walking down the street is probably going to raise eyebrows. Unless, you know, there are real wild bears just milling around town. Then I guess people won't care.
Next to the bear is an 8 foot tall orc with a sword just as long that glows brighter than a streetlight, a werecat with horns that dances whenever he sees an elf, and an extraplanar frog who has a royal treasury worth of magical bling on him. D&D PC are weird.

Safety Sword
2011-10-23, 06:25 PM
Next to the bear is an 8 foot tall orc with a sword just as long that glows brighter than a streetlight, a werecat with horns that dances whenever he sees an elf, and an extraplanar frog who has a royal treasury worth of magical bling on him. D&D PC are weird.

I agree. D&D PCs are weird.

A wild bear who wanders into town as everyone tips their hats and says "Good morning, sir druid". Could be a druid. Could actually be a bear. I know which is safer to assume until it says hello.

As a Level 1 Commoner who owns an inn, I'm not going to approach a bear.

Gavinfoxx
2011-10-23, 06:43 PM
A Wild Bear wearing a collar, a cloak, a belt, some hide armor, etc. etc. with various wilding clasps or whatever, talking with his companions... yea. "Good afternoon, good sir druid!"

Remember, you get wild shape effectively 24/7 at level 8, if you use all of your uses to stay in wild shape all the time.