PDA

View Full Version : Need Warforged HELP!!!

Getsugaru
2011-09-24, 11:04 AM
I'm possibly going to join a group in an Eberron campaign, and I want to play a Warforged. The problem is, I don't know much about Warforged, and I couldn't find much help when I searched Google. Brilliant Gameologists didn't have a Warforged guide either. :smallfrown: Does anyone know a good Warforged build? Also, we're each allowed one template that can have an LA of up to +3; so does anyone know any Construct templates?

flabort
2011-09-24, 11:08 AM
I've got two links that can help you bookmarked... on another computer. If I change computers, I can link them too you.

1) The fluff and stuff about warforged, as officially released by WoTC, in an excerpt.
2) The racial traits, in a not so official format, but still the official traits.

As for good warforged builds, Warblade, Warlock, or Warshaper are all good warforged classes :smalltongue:
I don't actually know, sorry. Good luck, though.

Zaq
2011-09-24, 11:08 AM
Warforged are versatile enough that there's no one build that works especially well with them. That's like saying "what's a good build for a dwarf?" What do you actually want to do? They have penalties to WIS and CHA, so they're slightly worse at casting based on those stats, but even then, they're not so crippled that a warforged sorcerer wouldn't be awesome. So . . . what do you want to do?

Keld Denar
2011-09-24, 01:50 PM
Most of the good 'forged feats are in the ECS and Races of Eberron. Those would be good books to consult when considering what you want your 'forged to do.

I highly recommend Warblade. Find some way to do it "all night long" (ie recover HP), and you are the iconic incarnation of CONSTANT VIGILANCE!

Urpriest
2011-09-24, 01:58 PM
A lot of templates can be applied to Warforged, they're constructs but they're living constructs, so any template that says "any living creature" works on them. This includes things like Half-Fiend and Half-Dragon.

Lateral
2011-09-24, 02:00 PM
It really depends on what you want to do. If you want to be some sort of casterish thing, then Psion (shaper) is your best bet; it's INT-based, so you don't have a penalty, it doesn't have ASF, so you don't have to burn a feat on Unarmored Body (and you can even take Adamantine Body at 1st to be virtually indestructible for the first couple of levels), and you can take Psionic Repair Damage as one of your 2nd level powers to get Cure Serious Wounds two levels early. It only works on you, but still- with that and Adamantine Body, you'll easily be able to survive the first few levels, and after that you really come into your own-- once Astral Construct lasts more than a couple of rounds, it's one of the most effective powers out there.

If you want to be an effective all-around melee combatant, Warblade or Totemist are your best bets- they're both awesome, versatile classes, and Warforged are epic at both of them, what with the CON bonus, the built-in natural weapon, and the various natural immunities. (Speaking of natural immunities, if you go Warblade you should get a Life-Drinker as soon as possible- dealing two negative levels on a hit with no drawback is awesome in every way.)

If you want to deal ranged damage, or like the idea of a robot with lasers, then a Warlock is the way to go. Take a Binder dip and then three levels of Hellfire Warlock, and your lasers should deal some serious damage.

Is your three LA free? If not, then I wouldn't bother taking any more than a +1 or +2 template, but if it is then take all three. Warforged can have most templates since they're living constructs, so go nuts.

tyckspoon
2011-09-24, 02:07 PM
Are you forgiven the LA on the template if you choose to use it, so it doesn't affect your ECL, or are you just allowed to take up to +3 LA instead of class levels if you want to? Makes a serious difference, optimization-wise.. to wit, if you aren't getting those LA free, don't bother; you will almost always get much more effect from class levels than LAs. If they are free, then go for it. Half-Dragon and Phrenic are pretty sweet when you're not paying for them- a half-dragon Warforged with the Second Slam feat is a pretty decent quick-and-simple Natural Attack bruiser.

Metahuman1
2011-09-24, 03:16 PM
Tell the Dm your a Warfordged Lesser Asimar with X template applied to eat the LA. Why? Offsets Cha and Wis penalty's.

If you go that route, I suggest either a Druid, I believe there is a feat that let's you wild shape into a construct version of the animal in question, Bard with a Lyria of building too get serious use out of not needing to sleep, Artificer for the sake of easy access to healing as well as high versatility, Or Warblade, the last one with Auto resetting traps of the Repair spells form Complete Arcane built into your body or weapons so You've got easy access to lots of healing all the time.

Edit: Oh, and coat yourself in the strongest contact poison you can find. Nasty surprise for anything that grabs you.

Urpriest
2011-09-24, 03:44 PM
Tell the Dm your a Warfordged Lesser Asimar with X template applied to eat the LA. Why? Offsets Cha and Wis penalty's.

If you go that route, I suggest either a Druid, I believe there is a feat that let's you wild shape into a construct version of the animal in question, Bard with a Lyria of building too get serious use out of not needing to sleep, Artificer for the sake of easy access to healing as well as high versatility, Or Warblade, the last one with Auto resetting traps of the Repair spells form Complete Arcane built into your body or weapons so You've got easy access to lots of healing all the time.

Edit: Oh, and coat yourself in the strongest contact poison you can find. Nasty surprise for anything that grabs you.

Lying to new people asking for advice isn't very nice. Lesser Aasimar isn't a template, it's a variant of the normal Aasimar.

Trekkin
2011-09-24, 03:56 PM
Another vote for Warforged Psion here, particularly Shaper. Being able to manifest unimpeded by armor and repair oneself without having to worry about the problems of conjuration(healing) spells working poorly are considerable boons. I played one once, and while that campaign ended up dissolving, the class and race of the build were not the reason for it.

As for templates, it really depends on what you want to do with it. There are +Int templates for <= 3 LA, if you want to go Psion.

Lastly, avoid Psiforged Body. Its benefit is replicatable at mid to high levels by a relatively inexpensive item; get it made as a warforged component, or purchase the equivalent component from the appropriate book (I forget which) and the feat becomes free for other uses like Adamantine Body.

Greenish
2011-09-24, 04:17 PM
Tell the Dm your a Warfordged Lesser Asimar with X template applied to eat the LA.I don't think it's possible to be off two different races at the same time.

Metahuman1
2011-09-24, 04:46 PM
I don't think it's possible to be off two different races at the same time.

I've done it before with the above example once. Didn't have a problem. (And it's not like it's Te-uber-duber or anything. All it does is mitigate the penalty's too stats once you clear level three or four.)

Urpriest
2011-09-24, 04:47 PM
I've done it before with the above example once. Didn't have a problem. (And it's not like it's Te-uber-duber or anything. All it does is mitigate the penalty's too stats once you clear level three or four.)

But it's not a real thing. It's a misreading of the rules that you managed to get past your DM. And I find it very hard to believe that you didn't know that going in.