PDA

View Full Version : Psionic Gish Feat help

Bloodgruve
2011-09-24, 12:23 PM
Hola,

I need some help with a feats for my character. Level 8 Ardent6/Divine Mind1/Psychic Rogue1. Currently use Claws of the Beast and other stuff for natural attacks and I took mantles of Guardian(DM), Light&Dark(Flavor), Conflict, Force and Freedom. At level 12 I can take Linked Power and Dominant Ideal ACF for linked hustles n such. My current feats are Improved Toughness and Imp Natural Weapon (Claw). My plan is to continue ardent to 20

I need to choose one feat currently and will have another next level.

I am mostly the tank of the group and the trapfinder now. I would like to bolster my damage output, defense or utility.

WWYD?

TYVM
Blood~

Flickerdart
2011-09-24, 12:41 PM
Toughness sucks, retrain it to Improved Toughness.

Overchannel is a really good psionic feat, for obvious reasons. Psionic Meditation is nice if you're going to be playing around with metapsionics, since Dominant Ideal only hits one of your mantles. You may want to consider Extend Power or, if you're some kind of fancy race, Rapidstrike.

Essence_of_War
2011-09-24, 12:54 PM
You can look at some of the King of Smack (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19866038/The_king_of_smack) feats.

Dodge + Combat Exp + Karmic Strike seems like it would work well.

Overchannel + Talented are good for pretty much EVERY psychic character.

Psycrystal Affinity for Vigor+Share Pain tricks are always a good thing to have in your back (or front!) pocket.

Keld Denar
2011-09-24, 01:47 PM
Metapower for Link Power + Dominant Ideal means you can Link Hustle to everything for only 1 PP. Thats a LOT of extra movement.

You have +1d6 SA damage from Psionic Rogue, thus you qualify for Craven. Craven gives you big +damage per hit that you qualify for SA for. Later, you might also consider Staggering Strike. Requires +6 BAB, which is a bit tougher on a 3/4 BAB chassis with 2 +0 BAB dips, but you'll get there eventually. Denying your foe a full attack back is the strongest defense you can have.

Bloodgruve
2011-09-24, 10:53 PM
Thank you guys for the input. Craven looks very interesting. Ran a game tonight and made liberal use of Dimension Hop which was great. I think I'm going for Psionic Meditation>Linked Power9>Craven12

Is there any way to make an opponent flat footed or get a sneak attack by using a Dimension Hop to move to them? 'Nightcrawler Backstab' or somthing...

TYVM
Blood~

Essence_of_War
2011-09-25, 12:16 AM
Sun School can get you an extra attacks at your highest BAB each time you teleport adjacent to a foe. It requires the flurry of blows class feature though...

Bloodgruve
2011-09-25, 01:22 PM
Would 'Skirmish' apply using a teleport? States movement of 10' so is 'teleport' considered 'movement'?

TY
Blood~

Flickerdart
2011-09-25, 01:29 PM
Would 'Skirmish' apply using a teleport? States movement of 10' so is 'teleport' considered 'movement'?

TY
Blood~
I don't think movement is defined anywhere as actually having to walk the distance, so it should work fine.

Psyren
2011-09-25, 02:08 PM
1) Why Divine Mind? A Psywar dip gets you the same proficiencies, more bonus PP, and you can still get another mantle via the Psywar bonus feat if you really want one.

2) I wouldn't continue Ardent to 20; at Ardent 10 you get Dominant Ideal and you get nearly zero class features after that. Ardents have a max of 21 powers known, which 4 mantles will more than fill, so look into PrCing after that. Get more BAB from Sanctified Mind/Slayer/Psychokinetic Champion, or more manifesting punch from Anarchic Adept/Crystal Master/Anima Psion, or boost your sneak attack with Daggerspell Psion etc.

3) How good are you at being the trapfinder when only one of your classes has Search/Disable, so few skillpoints, and Wis-based to boot?

Bloodgruve
2011-09-25, 07:48 PM
1) Why Divine Mind? A Psywar dip gets you the same proficiencies, more bonus PP, and you can still get another mantle via the Psywar bonus feat if you really want one.

2) I wouldn't continue Ardent to 20; at Ardent 10 you get Dominant Ideal and you get nearly zero class features after that. Ardents have a max of 21 powers known, which 4 mantles will more than fill, so look into PrCing after that. Get more BAB from Sanctified Mind/Slayer/Psychokinetic Champion, or more manifesting punch from Anarchic Adept/Crystal Master/Anima Psion, or boost your sneak attack with Daggerspell Psion etc.

3) How good are you at being the trapfinder when only one of your classes has Search/Disable, so few skillpoints, and Wis-based to boot?

My character build started as a tank with 3 levels of divine mind but my DM allowed me to rework the character but asked me to retain 1 level. Least I get an extra mantle out of it. We have a bard in the group for the disable device (I am assuming that he can disable it if I can find it, I should double check that.) I have been thinking of slayer/sanctifined mind which will probably hit at lvl 13. Daggerspell Psion is a variant in CA?

TYVM
Blood~

Psyren
2011-09-25, 10:41 PM
My character build started as a tank with 3 levels of divine mind but my DM allowed me to rework the character but asked me to retain 1 level. Least I get an extra mantle out of it.

Hopefully you learned your lesson - avoid Divine Mind like the plague :smalltongue:

Since you're stuck with a level of Divine Mind, ask your DM if you can use the Hidden Talent ACF (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a) and get a bonus 1st-level power out of it. Wild Talent is almost completely useless for your character because your Ardent levels already make him psionic. The nice thing about getting a power this way, is that it will scale with your Ardent manifester level rather than your one Divine Mind level.

We have a bard in the group for the disable device (I am assuming that he can disable it if I can find it, I should double check that.)

Not by RAW; you need Trapfinding to both find high-DC/magical traps and to Disable them. In Pathfinder this is lightened somewhat (anyone can find/disable high-DC traps, but you still need Trapfinding to Disable the magic ones.)

And Ardent doesn't give you Search either, and gets a measly 2+Int skills. I don't know what your stats are like or how many traps are in your campaign, but I would avoid that role entirely if possible.

Daggerspell Psion is a variant in CA?

Complete Adventurer, yes - pg. 32. (Remember there is another "CA "- Complete Arcane.)

Bloodgruve
2011-09-25, 11:03 PM
I have learned my lesson about the divine mind. I'll have to see if the dm will let me redo the character a bit again. We house ruled spot, listen, search into perception similar to pathfinder. And damit I screwed up the skills also because I put full points into 'perception' and neither class has access to it...

Problem is I'm trying to optimize 4 characters at once and I'm getting mixed up :P The other players in my group are newer to 3.5 n I'm trying to help them. I'll see if the bard in the group would take that level of rogue instead.

TY for the input,

Blood~