PDA

View Full Version : U-bear-charger build help?

Everest
2011-09-24, 03:46 PM
I'm working on a character that employs Leap Attack/Shock Trooper/etc. shenanigans as a bear warrior. He's currently level 3, Dwarf Barb 1/Monk 2 (I would've gone Unarmed Swordsage, but last I checked, rage and maneuvers don't mix), and I plan to eventually have him enter warshaper, fist of the forest, and deepwarden. Probably Barb 2/Monk 2/Ftr 2/Deepwarden 2/FotF 1/Warshaper 3/Bear Warrior 5/X 3.

Feats (with 2 flaws):

1. Power Attack, Extra Rage, Powerful Charge
2. Improved Unarmed Strike, Improved Grapple
3. Combat Reflexes, Flying Kick

Any suggestions on good PrC dips to help him along before he enters Bear Warrior? At that point, he should be fine, but I find it lacking right now.

Urpriest
2011-09-24, 03:50 PM
Rage and Maneuvers mix fine.

Hirax
2011-09-24, 04:02 PM
Don't bother with deepwarden. You AC will be so deep in the tank when you charge that the extra HP will do you more favors than extra AC.

A dip into warblade is a fine idea. Full BAB, and plenty of useful maneuvers, not even necessarily attack maneuvers. Dungeoncrashing fighter (Dungeonscape) is also a nice 2 level dip.

Everest
2011-09-24, 05:57 PM
Rage and Maneuvers mix fine.

Really? I thought it was a violation of the "patience or concentration" section of the rage entry.

Don't bother with deepwarden. You AC will be so deep in the tank when you charge that the extra HP will do you more favors than extra AC.

A dip into warblade is a fine idea. Full BAB, and plenty of useful maneuvers, not even necessarily attack maneuvers. Dungeoncrashing fighter (Dungeonscape) is also a nice 2 level dip.

Forgot about the conflict between the two, but I might try to make up the difference and then some. But I suppose that makes things easier.

flumphy
2011-09-24, 06:16 PM
Really? I thought it was a violation of the "patience or concentration" section of the rage entry.

From the Tome of Battle Q&A:

Q: Can a barbarian use maneuvers (from Tome of Battle) while raging? What about Diamond Mind maneuvers that require a Concentration check to use? What about to recover maneuvers in the middle of combat?

A: According to the text under the Concentration heading on page 39 of Tome of Battle, the text states “unlike with spells or psionic powers, you need not concentrate to initiate a maneuver or stance.” Because initiating a maneuver does not require concentration, you would be able to perform most maneuvers while in a barbarian’s Rage, or in any other condition which mimics the restrictions or raging. While raging, a character would not be able to use any Diamond Mind maneuver that requires a concentration check. Using a special action to recover an expended maneuver would fall into the category of “any abilities that require patience or concentration,” so a character would not be able to recover maneuvers in this way while raging.

Zaq
2011-09-25, 12:42 AM
Do note that, as always, the FAQ is not RAW, and I could see an argument arising over the "recovering requires concentration" bit. That said, you can still initiate just fine when raging. Hell, doesn't Bloodclaw Master explicitly give you bonuses for doing so? I don't have my book open, but I remember something to that effect being the case.

Vangor
2011-09-25, 01:02 AM
To note, the Bloodclaw Master's shifting is "superficially" similar to rage. No limitations are placed on the ability to use skills tied to certain attributes nor magic items with certain triggers.

However, the "any abilities that require patience or concentration" is a vague addition left to the discretion of the DM. For my games, I would have no problem with a raging character using maneuvers which did not need prohibited skills such as action before thought or diamond nightmare blade.

My bear warriors tend to follow a barbarian 2/fighter 2/warblade 3 route which gives access to rage, uncanny dodge, two bonus feats, and third level maneuvers. After, bear warrior 5/warshaper 3 and do whatever you want from here. Deepwarden has a wasted feat of endurance for nothing, and fotf requires great fortitude which you don't need and improved unarmed strike which does not benefit you; you're a bear, you gain natural attacks.

Everest
2011-09-25, 07:40 AM
. . . and improved unarmed strike which does not benefit you; you're a bear, you gain natural attacks.

The idea was that I use natural attacks and unarmed strikes at the same time. Otherwise, I wouldn't have taken a monk level.

flumphy
2011-09-25, 11:47 AM
Do note that, as always, the FAQ is not RAW, and I could see an argument arising over the "recovering requires concentration" bit. That said, you can still initiate just fine when raging. Hell, doesn't Bloodclaw Master explicitly give you bonuses for doing so? I don't have my book open, but I remember something to that effect being the case.

Yeah, I agree that the FAQ interpretations are questionable. However, up until that last sentence about recovering maneuvers, that response is pretty much just laying out RAW, not interpreting anything. I fully agree that the bit about recovery is questionable, though.

Really, for bear warrior, I question whether a monk dip is worth it. Improved unarmed strike can be gained as a feat or, (depending on how nice your DM is) by going unarmed swordsage. 2 levels worth of monk class features have their place in some builds, but in yours I'm not sure they're worth the opportunity cost.