PDA

View Full Version : The Binder of Myriad (3.5 Pact Magic PrC, PEACH)

sreservoir
2011-09-24, 09:37 PM
A week ago, I read this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215714). My first reaction was that binders were designed such that lower vestiges remained useful, and thus, that "fix" would pretty much be giving power with a barely-worth-mentioning caveat -- and it basically does. But it was an interesting idea, and in any case, the fact that binders are stuck with a single vestige until 8th level and add extra vestiges so slowly and inflexibly is annoying.

This prestige class doesn't really help all that much for the first issue (it's designed to be entered at 5th, and so partitioned soul is granted at 6th), but it does add vestiges more quickly and flexibly. Perhaps it is a power boost -- it probably is, since vestiges are the binder's defining feature. But I do think that low BAB and weak Fort, as well as the loss of pact augmentations and soul guardian are at least a noticeable loss, if not especially large. Low BAB means, for example, that it's impossible to get the fourth iterative with more than four levels and 8th-level vestiges, or any levels while retaining full binding progression. The d6 hit die isn't much, but combined with losing some two pact augmentation abilities, it should hurt, though perhaps not enough.

I realize that the limitation based on level of vestige doesn't actually make sense based on the existing fluff that higher-level vestiges are so because they're obscure, but it's not like there's anything else to limit it with, and just handing out extra vestiges wouldn't really give the same flexibility.

[hr]

The Binder of Myriad
or, I attempt to make something that isn't just giving casters nice things.

Table: The Binder of Myriad

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Shifting favor, soul binding +1
2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Partitioned soul 1, soul binding +2
3rd|+1|+1|+1|+3|Improved expel vestige, soul binding +3
4th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Rushed summoning, soul binding +4
5th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Partitioned soul 2, soul binding +5
6th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Quick negotiator, soul binding +6
7th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Extra vestige bound, soul binding +7
8th|+4|+2|+2|+6|Partitioned soul 3, soul binding +8[/table]

There are those who dedicate themselves to specific vestiges, in order to gain greater power through that vestige. Binders of myriad disagree in that regard; they find that the key to success is in flexibility, to adapt as the situation demands, and to have the right tool for the job. It would, one might think, be better to have a mundane toolbox, than to use a magical hammer to nail in a screw.

Hit Die: d6.

Requirements

To qualify to become a binder of myriad, a character must fill all the following criteria.

Skills: Diplomacy 6 ranks.

Feats: Expel Vestige, Skilled Pact Making.

Special: Ability to bind a 3rd-level vestige.

Class Skills

The binder of myriad's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), and Speak Language.

Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.

Class Features

Binders of myriad gain the ability to bind more vestiges than usual, and are less attached to particular vestiges than most, but sacrifice the power gained from that tie.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Binders of myriad gain no proficiency with any weapons, armor, or shields.

Soul Binding: At each level, a binder of myriad's soul binding ability (and her effective binder level) improves as if she had gained a level in the binder class. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a binder have gained.

Shifting Favor (Ex): A binder of myriad does not usually make deep connections to any single vestige. When she makes a good pact with a vestige, she can change the selected vestige for any ability which allows a choice of vestige when it is taken (such as the Favored Vestige feat, or the Knight of the Sacred Seal's patron vestige class feature) to that vestige.

Partitioned Soul (Su): A binder of myriad learns to manipulate certain boundaries in her soul, so that more vestiges can comfortably fit. Beginning at 2nd level, a binder of myriad loses one vestige she can bind simultaneously (as described in the binder's soul binding class feature), and instead gains the ability to bind any number of vestiges whose total levels add up to a maximum equal to the highest level of vestige she can bind. At 5th level, she instead gives up two of the vestiges she can bind simulataneously, and the total levels become twice the highest level she can bind. At 8th level, she instead gives up three of the vestiges she can bind simulataneously, and the total levels become threes times the highest level she can bind.

Improved Expel Vestige (Su): A 3rd level binder of myriad can use her Expel Vestige feat at will, instead of once per day. However, if she fails to expel a vestige, she cannot attempt to expel that vestige again until it leaves normally when the pact ends.

Rushed Summoning (Su): Binders of myriad learn to draw seals and summon vestiges quickly, if imperfectly, to facilitate sudden change in abilities when necessary. Beginning at 4th level, a binder of myriad can draw a seal and summon the corresponding vestige as a swift action which provokes attacks of opportunity, though she takes a -10 penalty on the binding check.

Quick Negotiator (Su): Binders of myriad become quite skilled in rushed negotiations. Beginning at 6th level, a binder of myriad takes no penalty for making a rushed binding check.

Extra Bound Vestige (Su): At 7th level, a binder of myriad can simultaneously bind one additional vestige.

[hr]

The intended entry level is 5th, because really, lower levels seem to get played a lot more than higher levels, and binders kind of get their best pseudo-ability (the ability to use two synergistic vestiges) at 8. The earlier entry lets me add enough abilities to establish the PrC's themes (binding loads of vestiges, and changing them around frequently) and let the binder be actually be able to do its everything in E6.

I think a character taking the improved/bind vestige feats would actually be able to qualify at 3rd, if human with at least one flaw, and that qualifying with those feats would possibly do silly things at Partitioned Soul 2, but really, I don't care. Someone who's using those two feats clearly doesn't care to use pact magic that much, and so they shouldn't appreciate the lack of advancement of anything enough that they'd actually set their feats on fire to enter the class and take five levels.

The fact that you're encouraged to make pacts at a -30 or -20 penalty in the middle of combat? Totally intended. Signs and influence are really fun to RP.

Engorde
2011-09-29, 01:56 PM
Looks nice, maybe you can squeeze the abilities into 5 levels or make it into a full blown 10 lvl class.

gkathellar
2011-09-29, 02:13 PM
Hoho! I like it! Probably a little powerful, but the abilities seem like a lot of fun for any mechanically-minded player if only because they expand on what already makes Binders a lot of fun for the mechanically-minded player.

Maybe drop the good Will Save? I know that two low saves and poor BAB is already pretty big, but that's a lot of vestiges.