PDA

View Full Version : [Group 2] The World's Largest Dungeon - OOC

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Archwizard
2011-09-24, 09:56 PM
Whee, group 2's OOC thread. Here's the 16 and player chart from the recruitment thread.

The 16
1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

D&D 3.5E

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

World's Largest Dungeon by AEG.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

4-6.

As mentioned above, as people croak or wander off, I'll definitely take others.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

OOTS PbP.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

XL 1.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

Double maximum standard starting gold.
See #13.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

I have access to just about every 3.5 book, so please be sure to include which book your class comes from so I can look it up.

No 3rd party.

The Crusader from the Tome of Blades is banned, the Warblade and Swordsage are ok.
Anything setting-specific is banned.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

Any 3.5E race is fine. LA applies.
Homebrew races may be allowed, feel free to propose.

LA buyoff per UA rules is allowed.

You may wish to use racial classes since this is XL 1.
If not, I can come up with suitable penalties that will decrease over time as you level up.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

You get 28d6 to assign to stat rolling. You can assign from 1 to 23 dice to any one stat, taking the best 3.

Example:
You want to make a fighter, so you do this:
Str 8d6b3
Int 3d6
Wis 3d6
Dex 5d6b3
Con 8d6b3
Cha 1d6

See #13.

Max first level, then roll hit points. Re-roll 1's for HPs.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

Whatever. See #13.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

Yes, full penalties. No more than 3 classes, including PrC.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

Roll behind spoilers in the IC thread. In general, I will roll the same way, I tend to be a very "let the dice land where they land" DM.

For skill checks, later I will post a list of skills I will roll for. In those cases, if you want to make a check just post your skill info (ranks, mods, etc) behind a spoiler.

Edit: Skills I will roll:
Appraise
Bluff
Disguise
Forgery
Perception
Search (when take 20 doesn't apply)
Sense Motive
Stealth
Use Rope (if you go to tie up an enemy)

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

Banned Stuff:
Natural Spell is banned.
In general, I tend to really dislike feats like Natural Spell since they are designed to take away drawbacks built into a class.

Martial Scripts from Tome of Blades are banned.

Summoning Spells are banned at the recommendation of the module.

Polymorphing is banned. (Note that this does not include Wild Shape or similar abilities.)

I may find more later that gets the banhammer treatment, post if you have questions.

A Note on Criticals:
I use critical fumbles in combat. If you roll a 1, please roll %tile dice and I'll tell you what bad things happen to you.

Skills can fail if you roll a 1 (in general, Use Rope to tie your shoe doesn't meet that threshold, but Jumping over a 2-foot gap in the floor in combat does).

If you go to Take 20 and a critical fail might be relevant, I'll roll a 50/50 to see which happens first, a 20 or a 1.

Rest assured that anything that applies to you, applies to the bad guys.

Flaws and Traits
People can take 2 flaws that actually hurt, and up to 2 traits.
This will be a very low-RP game, RP-based flaws are out.

Class notes:
I hate the idea of clerics dedicated to a cause. If you want divine powers/spells/abilities/etc, you must worship a deity.

Be careful playing any class that relies on spellbooks. There will be no automagical gaining of spells for leveling up. You find what you find in the dungeon. Because of this, players can select double the normal number of first level spells and 2 second levels spells to start with.

People with spellbooks are advised to take ranks in Craft (Alchemy) in order to make the inks and other stuff required. In order to make the inks, you must use up the required amount of money for the spell (100 * spell level, minimum 100) (I'm not interested in playing out the detail of finding actual ingredients, sacrificing gp found is good enough) and then pass a Craft (Alchemy) skill check of DC 15 + (spell level*2). This is in addition to the Spellcraft check of 15 + Spell Level to understand the spell. In both cases, failure means you cannot retry until you gain another rank in the skill in question. By RAW this takes 2 days (one day to understand, one day to copy), I'm going to make it take 8 hours in the interests of not having everyone else sit on their butts for 48 hours.

Summoning Spells are banned at the recommendation of the module.

Bardic Knowledge will be virtually useless.

Altered Feats:
The Dodge feat simply provides a +1 Dodge modifier to AC.

Altered Skills:
Move Silently and Hide are combined into one skill called Stealth.
Listen and Spot are combined into one skill called Perception.

Perception and Search are class skills for everyone.

Diplomacy uses the Giant's homebrew.

The Heal skill will operate as follows for natural healing:
{table=head]Amount of Rest | Heal Check | Activity | Amount Healed
8 hours | No | None | Level + Con Bonus
8 hours | Yes | None | Level + Con Bonus + Heal Success Amount
24 hours | Either | Light | Double Above
24 hours | Either | None | Triple Above[/table]

As noted above and below, this game will force you to provide for yourselves. Choose your skills wisely.

WLD Notes:
You are going into the WLD and you are not coming out unless you finish it. This means you must bring all the food, light, supplies, etc that you think you need in with you and survive on that and what you find. There is no town to run out to in order to grab more. There is no town to go out to in order to replace broken or used up items. This is why you get double normal starting gold.

Other Notes:
If you hit 0 in a stat via drain you die. If you hit 0 via damage you are helpless until your stat returns to at least 1. Any bonus to stat other than Inherent will not save you.

Retraining is not allowed.

{table=head]DC 15 Dex Check to use Alchemist's Fire to make a Flaming Weapon
{table=head]Check Score | Result
Natural 1 | Fail, Set yourself on fire as if hit by alchemist's fire
9 or less | Fail, Alchemist's Fire is ruined.
10-14 | Success, 1 round duration
15+ | Success, Duration 1d4+(roll-15), max +6
Natural 20 | Success, 10 round duration[/table][/table]

{table=head]DC 15 Handle Animal check to milk a tiny Viper for Venom
Natural 1 | Poisoned by the venom, -2 to save
5 or less | Snake makes a bite attack against you, has venom
6-10 | Fail, week's vial ruined
11-14 | Fail, snake can use poison this week
15 | Success, vial good for 1 day
16+ | Success, vial stable
Natural 20 | Success, vial stable, +2 DC[/table][/table]

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

Nope. You're going in to explore the World's Largest Dungeon. Dungeon crawlarific.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

It's the WLD.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

3.5E only (this means no 3.0 stuff).
In general, I've found that Sandstorm and similar books tend to tick me off. A lot of the items in there are just stupid, and I have no idea how the heck they got printed.

A good rule of thumb: If you want to buy something that does something an item in the PHB does, but only costs 20% of the PHB item, it's not allowed.

Sheets on myth-weavers (or equivalent)

Players in the Game:
{table=head] Player Name | Character Name | Race | Class | Sheet | Color | Ready?
Sucrose (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=23460) | Kulkav Ilkanu | Goliath Dragonborn | Goliath Barbarian | Yes (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=325130) | Purple | Yes
Jvluso (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=47456) | Versel Vorastrix | Spellscale | Sorcerer | Yes (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=330742) | Gray | Yes
#Raptor (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=30795) | Taribo Woolsworth | Forest Gnome | Sorcerer | Yes (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=11900) | Blue | Yes
Mr. X (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=62801) | Fredric Chemoson | Human | Wizard (Transmuter) | Yes (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=11904) | Green | Yes
Zerter (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=44795) | Elia Eriksen | Dark Whisper Gnome | Rogue | Yes (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=330835) | Yellow | Yes
ORione (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=59058) | Darmok | Human | Cleric | Yes (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=12019) | Magenta | Yes
[/table]

Obviously, if more questions come up I'll answer them. Adding the answers to the 16... I'll try to remember!

Please pick speech colors, they make me happy! I'll do sheet reviews now, once we're just about done with any required touch-ups the IC thread will go up.

Mr. X
2011-09-24, 10:07 PM
LOOT

Bracelet of Friendship- Golden Carm Bracelet with tiny figurines of each memeber of the party... Kulkov, Elias, Malthos, Vlorah, and Fredric.

Flesh Golem Manuel
Clay Golem Manuel

Scrolls(Divine):
Forbiddance
Blade Barrier
Bless Water
Bark Skin
Charm Person
Protection from Evil
Protection from Chaos
Jump
Create Water.

Minor bag of Holding
+1 LightCrossbow

Scrolls of:
Blasphemy
Creeping Doom
Symbol of Insanity

The Profane Ritual:

This lengthy scroll describes an incredibly complex ritual, by which one may conjure up one of the very Dukes of Hell, and compel them to answer honestly a number of questions.
(If you wish to make use of this ritual, and I think you should, I shall describe it further at that point.)

Divine Artifacts- Sigil of Authoriy, Chains of Duty, The Unlidded Eye, The Sword of Destiny, The Hands of the Maker

The Iron Brand

This crude Iron Brand ends in a bizarre, arcane sigil. When heated and applied to a surface, it siphons off the user's essence to empower a powerful ward.
User must succeed at a DC 14 Spellcraft Check. On success, the brand deals 1d4 Wisdom Drain to the user, and produces a Perminant CL20th Ceurulian Sign.

The Tome of Marius Vark

Tome of the Planesmage
This leather bound and iron latched ledger, is well worn, and filled with the notations, notes, and researched formulae of Marius Vark, the foremost master of Planer understanding.

Leafing through the tome, one can witness the evolution of the student, as the early pages are often scribbled in a hurried hand, and the margins and body alike are filled with side notes, scratch outs, and corrections.

As one progresses through the book, this chaotic manner subsides into a cleaner, more organized method of inscription. This progress culimnates in the last hundred or so pages displaying clean, meticulous notations. Each part clearly worked through, annotated, and referenced.

The Appendix alone is something of a work of art, as it categorizes and connects all the various areas of the book together into an easily comprehensible manner.

Contained within are numerous functional formulae:

Spells:
Lv. 0:
Resistance, Light, Daze, Message.

Lv. 1:
Alarm, Protection from (Alignment), Mount, Unseen Servant, Comprehend Languages, Charm Person, Floating Disk, Cause Fear, Erase.

Lv. 2:
Arcane Lock, Resist Energy, Fog Cloud, Glitterdust, Detect Thoughts, Locate Object, Daze Monster, Gust of Wind, Shatter, Ghoul Touch, Whispering Wind.

Lv. 3
Dispel Magic, Magic Circle against (Alignment), Nondetection, Arcane Sight, Clairaudience/Clairvoyance, Tongues, Hold Person, Suggestion, Displacement, Vampric Touch, Slow.

Lv. 4
Dimensional Anchor, Globe of Invulnerability, Dimension Door, Geas(Lesser), Animate Dead.

Lv.5
Dismissal, Planar Binding(Lesser), Teleport, Contact other Plane.

Lv. 6:
Planar Binding, Geas, Disintegrate.

Lv. 7:
Plane Shift.

Lv. 8:
None.

Lv. 9:
Gate.

The Silver Tome

The Silver Tome:

When all that was is lost and forgotten, when the stars' are right and the seas are low, the folly of courage shall lead The Dragon's Son false, and the gods shall weep once more...
---Excerpt by an unknown author

This heavy tome is a folio cut, bound in a thick, rough hide, with an odd, silvery sheen to it, and the scribbled writing within is so erratic that, even if you could understand the bizarre language it's written in, it is nearly incomprehensible... Page after page of such hideous blasphemies that it turns your stomach. The writings, by some depraved and insane lunatic, spit in the faces of gods and daemons alike, their battles of principle petty squabbles to be forgotten in a blink of the cosmos eye, as so many before them.

Numerous spells of nauseating source and terrifying power are encoded within, along with stories, histories, and prophecies to ludicrously awful to be believed, and smatterings of dark things more terrible still...

Stats:

'Read Magic' or 'Comprehend Language' spells are sufficient to allow study of the tome.

Anyone studying this tome may be considered eligible to take the 'Dark Speach' feat, as described in 'The Book of Vile Darkness'. (I can provide the descriptions if you require them.)

Malthos, you will be eligible to learn any spell specified for either Cleric or Druid at one level higher than as listed. Spells listed for both, you may learn at the highest listing.

Elias, you are eligible to learn any Druid spell that is of a level you can cast.

Any character that prepares spells may learn Corrupt spells.

The Spells

--Absorb Strength
Necromancy [Evil]
Level: Corrupt 4
Components: V, S, F, Corrupt Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Personal
Target: Caster
Duration: 10 minutes/level
The caster eats at least a portion of the flesh of another creature’s corpse, thereby gaining one-quarter of the creature’s Strength score as an enhancement bonus to the caster’s Strength score, and one-quarter of the creature’s Constitution score as an enhancement bonus to the caster’s Constitution.
Focus: A fresh or preserved (still bloody) 1-ounce portion of another creature’s flesh.
Corruption Cost: 2d6 points of Wisdom damage.

--Bestow Wound
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Target: Living creature touched Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates Spell Resistance: Yes

If the caster is wounded, she can cast this spell and touch a living creature. The creature takes the caster’s wounds as damage, either 1 point of damage per caster level or the amount needed to bring the caster up to her maxi- mum hit points, whichever is less. The caster heals that much damage, as if a cure spell had been cast on her.
Material Component: A small eye agate worth at least 10 gp.

--Black Bag
Conjuration (Creation) [Evil]
Level: Asn 1, Sor/Wiz 1 Components: V, S, M
Effect: A black leather bag Duration: 24 hours
Saving Throw: None Spell Resistance: No
This spell creates a bag full of knives, scalpels, and other small torture implements. If the implements are removed from the bag by anyone other than the caster, or if they leave the caster’s possession after he removes them, they disintegrate after 1 round.
The bag and its magically created contents weigh only 1 pound. Evil magic items, including items that deal unholy damage, and items with an evil spell as a prerequisite for their creation can be placed in the bag as if it had 10 cubic feet of space. These additional items add no weight to the bag. Nonevil items added to the black bag fall through as if the bag had no bottom, so they cannot be stored in the bag.
Material Component: A strip of black leather soaked in the blood of a willing masochist.

--Circle of Nausea
Evocation [Evil]
Level: Clr 3, Drd 2
Components: V, S, F
Area: An emanation extending in a
20-ft.-radius around a 2-ft.-radius circle on the ground with the caster in the center
Duration: 1 minute/level Saving Throw: Fortitude negates Spell Resistance: Yes
Evil energy bursts in all directions from the spell’s origin, filling the area with pain. Everyone in the spell’s area must succeed at a Fortitude saving throw or take a –2 penalty on all attack rolls, saving throws, and skill checks. Those who succeed at the saving throw must make a new saving throw each round if they remain in the area. The pain lasts as long as the spell does.
The caster stands in the circle, which must be prepared ahead of time by inscribing a circle on the ground and putting a stone on the circle at each of the four cardinal directions.
Creating this circle takes 1 hour, but once created it may be reused any number of times.
If anyone attempts to cross the circle during the spell’s duration, she must succeed at a Fortitude saving throw or be nauseated until the spell ends, unable to take actions other than a single move or move-equivalent action. Nauseated characters cannot cross the circle. If someone breaches the circle without becoming nauseated, the spell ends.

--Claws of the Bebilith
Transmutation [Evil]
Level: Corrupt 5
Components: V, S, Corrupt Casting Time: 1 action
The caster gains claws that deal damage based on her size (see below) and can catch and tear an opponent’s armor and shield. If the opponent has both armor and a shield, roll 1d6: A result of 1–4 indicates the armor is affected, and a result of 5–6 affects the shield.
The caster makes a grapple check whenever she hits with a claw attack, adding to the opponent’s roll any enhancement bonus from magic possessed by the opponent’s armor or shield. If the caster wins, the armor or shield is torn away and ruined.

Caster Size Claw Damage
Fine —
Diminutive 1
Tiny 1d2
Small 1d3
Medium-size 1d4
Large 1d6
Huge 1d8
Gargantuan 2d2
Colossal 2d8

Corruption Cost: 1d6 points of Dexterity damage.

--Claws of the Savage
Transmutation [Evil]
Level: Bestial 4, Blk 4, Clr 4, Drd 4
Components: V, S
Target: One creature
The caster grants one creature two long claws that replace its hands, tentacle tips, or whatever else is appropriate. The claws deal damage based on the creature’s size.

The creature can make attacks with both claws as if it were proficient with them. Just as with a creature that has natural weapons, the subject takes no penalty for making two claw attacks. The subject is treated as armed. Fur- thermore, these claws gain a +2 enhancement bonus on attack and damage rolls.
If the creature already has claws, those claws gain a +2 enhancement bonus on attack and damage rolls, and the claws’ damage increases as if the creature were two size categories larger.

--Consume Likeness
Necromancy [Evil]
Level: Corrupt 6
Components: V, S, F, Corrupt Casting Time: 1 action
Duration: Permanent

The caster can take on the appearance and form—including clothing and equipment—of a corporeal human- oid that is freshly dead. The caster assumes the form of the creature as it looked when it lived. The caster must eat the flesh of the corpse whose form is to be assumed as he casts the spell.
Once the spell is complete, the caster can assume the new likeness at will. By changing to this new form, the caster’s body can undergo a lim- ited physical transmutation, includ- ing adding or subtracting one or two limbs, and his weight can be changed up to one-half. If the form selected has wings, the caster can fly at a speed of 30 feet with poor maneuverability. If the form has gills, he can breathe underwater. The caster cannot assume the likeness of something that is a dif- ferent size than he is.
The caster’s attack bonuses, natural armor bonus, and saves do not change. The spell does not confer special abilities, attack forms, defenses, ability scores, or mannerisms of the chosen form. If the caster takes
damage or dies, he automatically reverts to his normal form. The caster can also take a standard action to vol- untarily assume his normal form.
If the caster uses this spell to create a disguise, he gets a +10 bonus on his Disguise check.
Focus: A fresh or preserved (still bloody) 1-ounce portion of another creature’s flesh.
Corruption Cost: 2d6 points of Wisdom drain.

--Curse of the Putrid Husk
Illusion (Phantasm) [Fear, Mind- Affecting, Evil]
Level: Brd 3, Sor/Wiz 3
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Duration: 1 round + 1d10 minutes
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

This illusion forces the subject to believe his flesh is rotting and falling off his body, and that his internal organs are spilling out. If the target fails his saving throw, he is dazed (and horrified) for 1 round. On the follow- ing round, he falls unconscious for 1d10 minutes, during which time he cannot be roused normally.

--Damning Darkness
Evocation [Darkness, Evil]
Level: Clr 4, Darkness 4, Sor/Wiz 4 Components: V, M/DF
Target: Object touched
Duration: 10 minutes/level (D) Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No
This spell is similar to darkness, except that those within the area of darkness also take unholy damage. Creatures of good alignment take 2d6 points of damage per round in the darkness, and creatures neither good nor evil take 1d6 points of damage. As with the darkness spell, the area of darkness is a 20-foot radius, and the object that serves as the spell’s target can be shrouded to block the darkness (and thus the damaging effect).
Damning darkness counters or dispels any light spell of equal or lower level.
Arcane Material Component: A dollop of pitch with a tiny needle hidden inside it.

--Dance of Ruin
Necromancy [Evil]
Level: Brd 2, Clr 2, Demonologist 2, Sor/Wiz 2
Casting Time: 1 full round
Area: Spread centered on caster
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex half
To cast this spell, the caster dances wildly and chants. After she finishes her dance, a wave of crackling energy flashes outward up to the extent of the range. All non-demon creatures within the area take 2d20 points of damage.

--Dancing Chains
Transmutation
Level: Demonologist 3, Sor/Wiz 4 Components: V, S
Targets: One chain per level within range
Duration: 1 minute/level
Saving Throw: None
The caster can control one chain per level as a standard action, making the chains dance or move as she wishes. In addition, the caster can increase the chains’ length by up to 15 feet and cause them to sprout razor-edged barbs. These chains attack as spiked chains that use the caster’s normal ranged attack bonus on attack rolls or grapple checks (treat each chain as Medium-size when grappling).
The caster can climb a chain she controls at normal speed without making a Climb check.

--Darkbolt
Evocation [Darkness, Evil]
Level: Clr 2, Darkness 2, Sor/Wiz 2
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial

The caster makes a ranged touch attack against a foe, launching a bolt of cold darkness from his left hand. The bolt deals 1d8 points of damage per two caster levels (maximum 5d8). Half the damage is cold, and the other has no specific type. When struck, the foe must also succeed at a Fortitude save or be stunned for 1 round, overwhelmed by the evil charge of the darkbolt.

--Death by Thorns
Conjuration (Creation) [Evil, Death]
Level: Corrupt 7
Components: V, S, Corrupt
Targets: Up to three creatures, no two of which can be more than 15 ft. apart
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial
The caster causes thorns to sprout from the insides of the subject creatures, which writhe in agony for 1d4 rounds, incapacitated, before dying. A wish or miracle spell cast on a subject during this time can eliminate the thorns and save that creature. Crea- tures that succeed at their Fortitude saving throws are still incapacitated for 1d4 rounds in horrible agony, taking 1d6 points of damage per round. At the end of the agony, however, the thorns disappear.

--Devil’s Eye
Divination [Evil]
Level: Blk 2, Clr 3, Diabolic 2,
Sor/Wiz 3
The caster gains the visual acuity of a devil. He can see not only in darkness, but also in magical darkness, with a range of 30 feet.

--Devil’s Tongue
Transmutation [Evil]
Level: Corrupt 2
Components: S, Corrupt

The caster’s tongue lengthens and strengthens, allowing her to make grapple or disarm attacks with a reach of 15 feet. Attempts to grapple or disarm with her tongue do not provoke attacks of opportunity. Otherwise, they are handled normally.
Corruption Cost: 1d6 points of Wisdom damage.

--Dread Word
Evocation [Evil]
Level: Demonologist 3, Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V
Target: One creature of good alignment
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates

The caster speaks a single unique word of pure malevolence—a powerful utterance from the Dark Speech (see Chapter 2). The word is so foul that it harms the very soul of one that hears it. The utterance of a dread word causes one subject within range to take 1d3 points of Charisma drain. The power of this spell protects the caster from the damaging effects of both hearing and knowing the word.
To attempt to speak this unique word without using this spell means instant death (and no effect, because the caster dies before she gets the entire word out).

--Drown
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Target: One humanoid Duration: Instantaneous

The subject’s lungs fill with water if the subject fails a Fortitude saving throw. To avoid drowning, the subject can hold his breath (see The Drowning Rule in Chapter 3 of the DUNGEON MASTER’s Guide). The subject gains a new save (to expel the water) every 2 rounds after the first. While holding his breath with water-filled lungs, a character cannot talk or cast spells with verbal components, and he takes a –2 circumstance penalty on attack rolls, saving throws, ability checks, and skill checks.

--Ectoplasmic Enhancement
Necromancy [Evil]
Level: Sor/Wiz 6
Target: One incorporeal undead/level
Duration: 24 hours

The undead affected by this spell gain a +1 deflection bonus to Armor Class, +1d8 temporary hit points, a +1 enhancement bonus on attack rolls, and a +2 bonus to turn resistance. Each of these enhancements increases by +1 for every three caster levels. So a 12th-level caster grants a +5 deflection bonus to AC, an extra 1d8+4 temporary hit points, a +5 enhancement bonus on attack rolls, and a +6 bonus to turn resistance.

--Evil Eye
Enchantment [Evil]
Level: Mortal Hunter 2, Sor/Wiz 3
Components: S
Duration: Instantaneous (see text)

The caster focuses malevolent wishes through her gaze and curses someone with bad luck. The subject takes a –4 luck penalty on all attack rolls, saves, and checks. The spell ends at the next sunrise, when dismissed, when a remove curse is cast on the subject, or when the caster takes at least 1 point of damage from the subject.

--Evil Weather
Level: Corrupt 8
Components: V, S, M, XP, Corrupt
(see below)
Casting Time: 1 hour
Area: 1-mile/level radius, centered on caster
Duration: 3d6 minutes
The caster conjures a type of evil weather. It functions as described in Chapter 2 of this book, except that area and duration are as given for this spell. To conjure violet rain, the caster must sacrifice 10,000 gp worth of amethysts and spend 200 XP. Other forms of evil weather have no material component or experience point cost.
Corruption Cost: 3d6 points of Constitution damage.

--Fangs of the Vampire King
Transmutation [Evil]
Level: Corrupt 2
Components: S, Corrupt

The caster grows vampirelike fangs that allow him to make bite attacks with an attack bonus of +10 plus the caster’s Strength modifier. The caster’s bite attack deals 1d6 points of damage and 1 point of Constitution damage.
Corruption Cost: 1d6 points of Strength damage.

--Forbidden Speech
Enchantment [Evil, Mind-Affecting]
Casting Time: 1 minute
Target: 1 living creature

The caster makes it impossible for a single creature to speak about a single topic. The topic should be as narrow as possible for the spell to work properly. An appropriate topic might be events that occurred while the crea- ture was in captivity, the whereabouts and names of tormentors, the secret location of a hidden treasure, the password into a guarded compound, the command word of a magic item, or the explanation behind some major occurrence. Invalid topics include verbal components of spells, a creature’s whole life history, or anything too broad for a reasonable definition of a single topic. Whether a topic is too broad is up the DM, who can double the corruption cost and have the spell automatically fail if the caster persists in attempting an invalid topic. Thus, this can be a dangerous spell to attempt.
The affected creature cannot communicate regarding the topic in any way. Speech becomes gibberish, writing is reduced to an indecipherable scrawl, gestures are impossible, and even telepathy (including detect thoughts) is scrambled. The creature has not forgotten the information, however, and it can be a maddening occurrence for the creature to be unable to communicate information that might be of life-and-death importance to friends and allies.

--Grim Revenge
Necromancy [Evil]
Level: Sor/Wiz 4 Components: V, S, Undead
Target: One living humanoid

The hand of the subject tears itself away from one of his arms, leaving a bloody stump. This trauma deals 6d6 points of damage. Then the hand, ani- mated and floating in the air, begins to attack the subject. The hand attacks as if it were a wight (see the Monster Manual) in terms of its statistics, spe- cial attacks, and special qualities, except that it is considered Tiny and gains a +4 bonus to AC and a +4 bonus on attack rolls. The hand can be turned or rebuked as a wight. If the hand is defeated, only a regenerate spell can restore the victim to normal.

--Liquid Pain
Necromancy
Level: Pain 4, Sor/Wiz 4 Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 day
Target: One living creature

Over the course of one day, the caster takes a subject already in great pain— wracked with disease, the victim of torture, or dying of a wound, for example—and captures its pain in liquid form. This physical manifestation of agony can be used to create magic items or enhance spells (see Pain as Power in Chapter 2). It can also be used as a potent drug.
Focus: A jar, vial, or other container for the liquid pain.

--Love’s Pain
Evocation [Evil, Mind-Affecting] Level: Corrupt 3
Target: One living creature Duration: Instantaneous Saving Throw: None Spell Resistance: Yes
The caster blasts a lancelike projectile of greenish-black energy from his hand, striking a single foe as a ranged touch attack. The energy does not harm the subject. Instead, the subject’s closest friend or dearest loved one is wracked with pain and takes 1d6 points of damage for every two caster levels (maximum 10d6). There is no limit to the distance between the caster and the loved one, and the loved one gets no saving throw or spell resist- ance. If the loved one is within an antimagic field, the spell has no effect.
It may take DMs and players a moment to determine who the sub- ject’s dearest loved one is. The DM determines this for nonplayer charac- ters (NPCs). It is rare (but possible) that no individual qualifies. In that case, the subject takes the damage.
Corruption Cost: 1d6 points of Intelligence damage.

--Masochism
Enchantment [Evil]
Level: Asn 3, Blk 3, Clr 3, Sor/Wiz 2
Duration: 1 round/level
For every 10 points of damage the caster takes in a given round, he gains a +1 luck bonus on attack rolls, saving throws, and skill checks made in the following round. The more damage the caster takes, the greater the luck bonus. It’s possible to get a luck bonus in multiple rounds if the caster takes damage in more than one round during the spell’s duration.
Material Component: A leather strap that has been soaked in the caster’s blood.

--Pestilence
Necromancy [Evil]
Level: Clr 8, Drd 7
Components: V, S, Disease
Target: Living creature touched

The subject contracts a particularly terrible and contagious disease, which strikes immediately with no incubation period. The caster infects the subject with a sickness that deals 1d4 points of Constitution drain each day until the subject dies. The subject may attempt a new saving throw each day, but she must succeed at two saves in a row to rid herself of the disease (as with most diseases).
However, the disease, once unleashed, continues to spread. For the first day of the sickness, anyone touching the subject must succeed at a Fortitude saving throw or fall victim to the same malady. That victim in turn becomes contagious on the first day of her own affliction.
Disease Component: Any disease.

--Plague of Nightmares
Enchantment [Evil, Mind-Affecting]
Level: Corrupt 8
Components: V, S, F, Corrupt

The caster can give the subject demon-haunted dreams so vivid and frightening that sleep provides no rest and the subject eventually turns to suicide. The caster must have a chunk of flesh from the target and succeed at a touch attack when she casts plague of nightmares. If the target fails the Forti- tude save, the spell begins to take effect. Thereafter, the caster must chant for 12 hours per week and pay the corruption cost each week to maintain the spell.
The subject begins to feel the effect of this spell the next time he sleeps, as nightmares of evil gods and demons plague him. These nightmares continue each night, and each night the subject takes 1d4 points of Charisma damage and gains no natural healing for that day. When the subject reaches 0 Charisma, he enters a trance in which he mentally offers his soul to a demon to be devoured. That night the subject dies and is beyond even a true resurrection spell.
The subject gets a new saving throw each day to resist the spell, and one success is enough to end the night- mares. If the spell ultimately succeeds, the focus disappears, alerting the caster that the subject is dead.
Corruption Cost: 1d6 points of Strength damage, taken all at once at the end of each week.

--Power Leech
Necromancy [Evil]

The caster creates a conduit of evil energy between himself and another creature. Through the conduit, the caster can leech off ability score points at the rate of 1 point per round. The other creature takes 1 point of drain from an ability score of the caster’s choosing, and the caster gains a +1 enhancement bonus to the same ability score per point drained during the casting of this spell. In other words, all points drained during this spell stack with each other to deter- mine the enhancement bonus, but they don’t stack with other castings of power leech or with other enhancement bonuses.
The enhancement bonus lasts for 10 minutes per caster level.
Corruption Cost: 1 point of Wisdom drain.

--Pox
Necromancy [Evil]
Level: Corruption 6, Drd 6, Pain 6
Components: V, S, DF
Targets: Up to one living
creature/level, no two of which can be more than 10 ft. apart

Subjects take 1d4 points of Constitution drain. Their skin breaks out in lesions and takes on a pale yellow pallor.

--Preserve Organ
Necromancy
Level: Clr 0, Drd 0, Sor/Wiz 0
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Effect: One organ
(harmless)
The caster preserves a single severed organ from a living creature so that it does not decay or rot. Evil casters use preserved organs as material spell components. There are ritual uses for body parts as well.
The organ is kept in the exact state it was in when the spell was cast. If a heart is still beating and bloody, for example, then it remains that way.

--Rapture of Rupture
Transmutation [Evil]
Level: Corrupt 7
Target: One living creature touched per level
Saving Throw: Fortitude half

With this spell, the caster’s touch deals grievous wounds to multiple tar- gets. After rapture of rupture is cast, the caster can touch one target per round until she has touched a number of tar- gets equal to her caster level. The same creature cannot be affected twice by the same rapture of rupture. A creature with no discernible anatomy is unaf- fected by this spell.
When the caster touches a subject, his flesh bursts open suddenly in multiple places. Each subject takes 6d6 points of damage and is stunned for 1 round; a successful Fortitude save reduces damage by half and negates the stun effect. Subjects who fail their Fortitude save continue to take 1d6 points of damage per round until they receive magical healing, succeed at a Heal check (DC 20), or die. If a subject takes 6 points of damage from rapture of rupture in a single round, he is stunned in the following round.
Corruption Cost: 1 point of Strength damage per target touched.

--Red Fester
Necromancy [Evil]
Level: Corrupt 3
Target: Creature touched

The subject’s skin turns red and blisters. The blisters quickly turn into oozing wounds. Furthermore, the subject’s sense of self becomes strangely clouded, diminishing her self-esteem. The subject takes 1d6 points of Strength damage and 1d4 points of Charisma damage.

--Reality Blind
Illusion (Phantasm) [Evil, Mind- Affecting]
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Duration: Concentration (see below)
This spell overwhelms the target with hallucinations, causing him to be blinded and stunned if he fails the save. The subject can attempt a new saving throw each round to end the spell.
Even after the subject succeeds at the save or the caster stops concentrat- ing, the subject is plagued with night- mares every night. The nightmares prevent the subject from benefiting from natural healing. These night- mares continue until the caster dies or the subject succeeds at a Will saving throw, attempted once per night. This nightmare effect is treated as a curse and thus cannot be dispelled. It is subject to remove curse, however.
Material Component: A 2-inch-diameter multicolored disk of paper or ribbon.

--Rotting Curse of Urfestra
Transmutation [Evil]
Target: Living creature touched Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates Spell Resistance: Yes
The subject’s flesh and bones begin to rot. The subject takes 1d6 points of Constitution damage immediately, and a further 1d6 points of Constitution damage every hour until the subject dies or the curse is removed with a wish, miracle, or remove curse spell.

--Sadism
Enchantment [Evil]
Level: Asn 3, Blk 3, Clr 3, Pain 2,
Sor/Wiz 2 Components: V, S, M
Target: Caster Duration: 1 round/level
For every 10 points of damage the caster deals in a given round while under the effect of this spell, she gains a +1 luck bonus on attack rolls, saving throws, and skill checks in the next round. The more damage the caster deals, the greater the luck bonus. It’s possible to get a luck bonus for multi- ple rounds if she deals damage in more than one round during the spell’s duration.
Material Component: A leather strap that has been soaked in human blood.

--Seething Eyebane
Transmutation [Evil, Acid]
Level: Corrupt 1
(see text)

The subject’s eyes burst, spraying acid upon everyone within 5 feet. The sub- ject is blinded and takes 1d6 points of acid damage. Those sprayed take 1d6 points of acid damage (Reflex save for half ). Creatures without eyes can’t be blinded, but they might take acid damage if someone nearby is the subject of seething eyebane.
Corruption Cost: 1d6 points of Constitution damage.

--Serpents of Theggeron
Transmutation [Evil]
Components: S, Corrupt Casting Time: 1 action

The caster’s arms turn into serpents that can be used as natural weapons. The serpents provide the caster with 10-foot reach. They have an attack bonus of +10 (plus caster’s Strength modifier) and they deal 1d8 points of damage (plus her Strength modifier).
If the caster hits with a serpent, she has poisoned her foe. The poison deals
1d6 points of Strength damage imme- diately and another 1d6 points of Strength damage 1 minute later. Each instance of damage can be negated by a successful Fortitude save (DC 16).
As a full attack action, the caster can strike with both serpents at her full attack bonus.
Corruption Cost: 1d6 points of Intelligence damage.

--Shriveling
Necromancy [Evil]
Level: Clr 3, Sor/Wiz 2 Components: V, S, Disease
Saving Throw: Reflex half
The caster channels dark energy that blasts and blackens the subject’s flesh. The subject takes 1d4 points of damage per caster level (maximum 10d4).
Disease Component: Soul rot.

--Slash Tongue
Transmutation [Evil]
Level: Clr 0, Sor/Wiz 0 Components: V, S
Target: One living creature with a tongue.
Duration: 1 round

The subject’s tongue gets a thin cut. The subject takes 1 point of damage and takes a –1 penalty on attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks on the following round due to the annoying pain.

--Touch of Juiblex
Transmutation [Evil]
The subject turns into green slime over the course of 4 rounds. If a remove curse, polymorph other, heal, greater restoration, limited wish, miracle, or wish spell is cast during the 4 rounds of transformation, the subject is restored to normal but still takes 3d6 points of damage. Corruption Cost: 1d6 points of
Strength damage.

--Unliving Weapon
Necromancy [Evil]
Level: Clr 3
Targets: One undead creature Duration: 1 hour/level

This spell causes an undead creature to explode in a burst of powerful energy when struck for at least 1 point of damage, or at a set time no longer than the duration of the spell, whichever comes first. The explosion is a 10-foot-radius burst that deals 1d6 points of damage for every two caster levels (maximum 10d6).
While this spell can be an effective form of attack against an undead crea- ture, necromancers often use unliving weapon to create undead capable of suicide attacks (if such a term can be applied to something that is already dead). Skeletons or zombies with this spell cast upon them can be very dan- gerous to foes that would normally disregard them.
Material Component: A drop of bile and a bit of sulfur.

--Vile Lance
Evocation [Evil]
Level: Blk 4, Clr 3, Mortal Hunter 3, Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S, M/DF
Effect: One shortspear
Vile lance creates a weapon of blackness that the caster (and only the caster) can wield with proficiency. The caster can throw it, but if he does, the spell ends after the ranged attack is resolved.
The vile lance is treated in all ways like a +2 shortspear, except that the damage dealt is vile damage.
Arcane Material Component: A bone fragment of a good-aligned creature.

--Were-Doom
Evocation [Evil, Chaos]
Level: Bestial 9, Clr 9, Drd 9
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Area: 50-ft./level radius

This spell must be cast at night. Lycanthropy infects 1d4 humanoid crea- tures in the area, designated randomly. These creatures immediately change into their animal or hybrid forms (their choice) and begin sav- agely attacking all around them.
To determine the type of lycanthropy that afflicts a subject, roll on the following table.

d% Lycanthrope Type
01–25 Wererat
26–60 Werewolf
61–80 Wereboar
81–00 Weretiger

See the Lycanthrope template in the Monster Manual for more information on lycanthropy, including how to cure it.
Material Component: A bit of a lycanthrope’s fur or skin.

--Wither Limb
Necromancy [Evil]
Level: Clr 2, Mortal Hunter 2,
Sor/Wiz 2
Target: One humanoid creature with limbs

The caster chooses to wither either the arms or the legs of the subject. Withered legs force a character to fall prone and make it impossible for her
to move more than 5 feet per round. Withered arms make it impossible for a character to use objects or cast spells with somatic components, and the subject must drop anything she was holding. At the end of the spell’s dura- tion, the limbs return to normal.

--Wrack
Necromancy [Evil]
Level: Clr 3, Mortal Hunter 3, Pain 3,
Sor/Wiz 4
Area: One humanoid creature

The subject is wracked with such pain that he doubles over and collapses. His face and hands blister and drip fluid, and his eyes cloud with blood, rendering him blind. For the duration of the spell the subject is considered helpless and cannot take actions. The subject’s sight returns when the spell’s duration expires.
Even after the spell ends, the subject is still visibly shaken and takes a –2 penalty on attack rolls, saves,
and checks for 3d10 minutes.

--Soul Shackles
Necromancy [Evil]
Level: Brd 5, Sor/Wiz 5
Components: V, S, F, Location
Saving Throw: None (see text)
The caster draws out the soul of a dead creature and imprisons it within a specially made talisman. The subject must have had the talisman in his pos- session when he died, or the spell cannot function.
Henceforth, if the talisman is in the caster’s possession, she can call forth the soul of the subject and question it about what it knew in life for up to 1
round/level each day, asking one question per round. The soul looks as it did in life, including the clothing and equipment it had with it on the day it died. Answers are clear, complete, and precise.
If the subject is hostile, or if the answer to the question was an important secret to it in life, the subject gains a Will saving throw. A successful saving throw indicates that the spell ends and the soul departs to the afterlife.
Focus: The talisman that will be the receptacle for the soul.
Location Component: An area under the effect of a desecrate or unhallow spell.

--Trap the Soul
Conjuration (Summoning)
Level: Sor/Wiz 8
Components: V, S, M, (F); see text
Casting Time: 1 standard action or see text
Duration: Permanent; see text
Saving Throw: See text
Spell Resistance: Yes; see text
Trap the soul forces a creature’s life force (and its material body) into a gem. The gem holds the trapped entity indefinitely or until the gem is broken and the life force is released, which allows the material body to reform. If the trapped creature is a powerful creature from another plane it can be required to perform a service immediately upon being freed. Otherwise, the creature can go free once the gem imprisoning it is broken.

Depending on the version selected, the spell can be triggered in one of two ways.

Spell Completion
First, the spell can be completed by speaking its final word as a standard action as if you were casting a regular spell at the subject. This allows spell resistance (if any) and a Will save to avoid the effect. If the creature’s name is spoken as well, any spell resistance is ignored and the save DC increases by 2. If the save or spell resistance is successful, the gem shatters.

Trigger Object
The second method is far more insidious, for it tricks the subject into accepting a trigger object inscribed with the final spell word, automatically placing the creature’s soul in the trap. To use this method, both the creature’s name and the trigger word must be inscribed on the trigger object when the gem is enspelled. A sympathy spell can also be placed on the trigger object. As soon as the subject picks up or accepts the trigger object, its life force is automatically transferred to the gem without the benefit of spell resistance or a save.

Material Component
Before the actual casting of trap the soul, you must procure a gem of at least 1,000 gp value for every Hit Die possessed by the creature to be trapped. If the gem is not valuable enough, it shatters when the entrapment is attempted. (While creatures have no concept of level or Hit Dice as such, the value of the gem needed to trap an individual can be researched. Remember that this value can change over time as creatures gain more Hit Dice.)

Focus (Trigger Object Only)
If the trigger object method is used, a special trigger object, prepared as described above, is needed.

The Oathbow

This white-oaken longbow is crafted from a clearly still-living piece of wood. Sprigs and leaves frequently sprout from it, and must regularly be stripped off for it to be easily used.

Upon wielding it, a small thorn on the grip pricks the finger of the wielder, dealing 1 damage. This allows the bow to 'taste' the essence of its wielder, and it rapidly grows and re-shapes itself to match their size and strength.

As such, this bow functions as a +1 Seeking Composite Longbow, of an appropriate size for the wielder, applying a Strength Bonus equal to that of the wielder.

When an arrow is nocked and drawn, the bowstring vibrates slightly, and a voice whispers "Swift death unto mine enemies" in Elven. Once per day, if the firer swears aloud to slay her target (a free action), the bow’s whisper becomes the low shout "Swift death unto those who have wronged me." Against such a sworn enemy, the bow has a +5 enhancement bonus, and arrows launched from it deal an additional 2d6 points of damage (and ×4 on a critical hit instead of the normal ×3). However, the bow is treated as only a masterwork weapon against all foes other than the sworn enemy, and the wielder takes a -1 penalty on attack rolls with any weapon other than the oathbow. These bonuses and penalties last for seven days or until the sworn enemy is slain or destroyed by the wielder of the oathbow, whichever comes first.

The Wayfarer

When cast into the air, this unassuming pointed stick shall land pointing the direction you must travel to reach what-so-ever destination you desire.

In a stitch, you could potentially put someone's eye out with it, and if used as such, shall deal 1d3 points of damage.

vikingofdoom
2011-09-24, 10:40 PM
I'll be Red.

Sucrose
2011-09-24, 10:44 PM
Hm. I suppose that I'll take Purple.

Mr. X
2011-09-25, 12:38 AM
Divine Artifacts

The Sigil of Authority

A great leader is known by all, and demands and compels great things of those who serve beneath him.

At will, the ring may provide a magical shield effective as a +2 Large Shield, or a +2 Tower Shield, with all the attached benefits. As a magical force, they shall incur none of the penalties.

Additionally, when the shield is activated, it shall clearly display your personal Sigil or marking. If you do not possess a personal marking, one shall be created for you.

Your Will Be Done
On the battlefield, all men marching under the banner of the bearer of the Sigil of Authority shall intuitively know his commanding intentions, and maneuver accordingly. Additionally, all men serving the bearer shall receive a +2 bonus to Attacks and Damage. This bonus stacks with all other bonuses.

Your Power Known
Anyone who sees the Sigil upon you shall intuitively understand its effects. Those who would like to hold similar power may well be tempted to treacherous action.

Chosen
The Sigil is bound to its bearer, and may not be removed save by his death, or at the very least, the removal of the finger upon which it sits.

This Artifact takes up a Ring Slot.

Stage 2:The Crushing Tide
Many commanders lead from the rear, guiding their troops like pieces on a game board. Stong of mind, but weak of body, they use wits and cunning to out maneuver and defeat their opponents, and rely on a standard rate at which their soldiers can maintain the attrition without fleeing...

The commander who leads from the front is a man of both courage and nobility. Unwilling to send his men to face a threat he would not face himself, he gives up the perspective gained by standing high and far away for the ability to sway events directly. Those behind him bask in the valor of his deeds, and following him, achieve glorious victory where in all reason they ought to have broken and fled...

System:The Second Stage power of the Sigil of Authority, conveys your strength to those marching for your cause. When you enter your rage, anyone marching beneath your Banner may rage right along with you, recieving all the effects of a Barbarian's 'Rage' Ability. Additional effects beyond the base ability that you possess (Such as Large Size, etc.), shall not be conveyed.

Stage 3: The Crown of Flames
The hard road you've walked has instilled in you not just strength of arms, but strength of character as well.

Great strength without the wisdom to guide it, is a powerful, but dangerous imbalance.

Wisdom, without the strength to implement it, is wasted on the mind that holds it.

It is the marriage of the two... Possession of the wisdom to see the correct course, and possession of the strength to carry it out... That is the measure of a leader.

System
The Third Stage Power of the Sigil of Authority, the Crown of Flames, allows you to apply your Strength Modifier to all of your social rolls, and to your Will Saves.

The Crown may be suppressed or activated at will. When suppressed, its effects shall not apply.

The Unlidded Eye

The emerald of the circlet hangs over the mystic Third Eye, aiding the awareness of the wearer.

Provides a +10 Bonus on all Perception based checks. You receive Low-light and Dark Visions. Additionally, as a full round action, you may make 1 attack. If the attack hits, you may make a Spot Check as your damage roll. Other bonuses to damage shall not apply to this roll.

The Eye is Faster than the Hand
Your's are to be the eyes of the gods, and as such are faster and sharper even than your hands, pinpointing cracks and weaknesses with razor ease.

System: Your eyes are to serve as the gods' eyes. The circlet may not be removed while you live. Additionally, all of your Attacks of Opportunity are to be considered Sneak Attacks.

This Artifact takes the Headgear Slot.

Stage 2: Farsight:
The second stage power of 'The Unlidded Eye', allows you to focus through the eye to view visions of places and events far away.

System: Make a Will save. The result shall determine the clarity of the visions, and the accuracy with which you are able to guide them. Use of this power drains a great deal of energy. You shall be Fatigued after its use. If you are already fatigued, you'll become Exhausted.

You may use this power at will.

The Chains of Duty

You remember the statue... An old man, his face lined with cares and worries. Shackled throat, wrist, and ankles, and dragging a massive weight of chains. His hand outstretched, his face hopeful, as though reaching towards some final goal...

... His eyes know better. That each end is but a new beginning.

None the less, he grimly presses on. Tireless, and with adamant resolve... It is the weight he carries that allows him to continue, and gives him direction...

Without it, he would be lost.

A tight iron choker.

Your duty compels you, your determination carrying you beyond mortal limits.

While you wear the chains you shall be able to, and indeed are required to, continue acting in the line of your duty up unto the point of death.

You are treated as having the Die Hard feat, and any time you fail a roll directly in the line of your duty, you may re-roll to see if you actually succeed. This power stacks with Fortune Domain. Additionally, if reduced below 0 Hit Points, your Strength shall increase by 4, and all your Saves shall increase by +2.

Bound
The Chains demand that you persist in the carrying out of your duty without waiver. Should you ever stray from the path of your perceived duty, the chains shall progressively tighten, eventually strangling the life from you, if you do not return and stay the necissary course.

Once worn, the chains cannot be removed whilst you live.

This Artifact takes the Amulet Slot.

Stage 2: Chained and Manacled:
The Chains of Duty now cover you from neck to waist, and provide protection equal to a +1 Chain Shirt, with all associated Armor Check Penalties and %Spell Failures, and you are considered to be at Medium Encumbrance.

The shackles get beneath, and pop off any bracelets or bracers you were wearing. In their place, they provide a +4 bonus to your Constitution.

Additionally, you gain a +1 bonus to your Spell Save DCs. (Though you must contend with the %spell failure whenever you cast.)
This artifact now takes up the Amulet, Armor, and Bracer slots.

Stage 3: The Living Chains
Now facing the ancient foe, the Chains of Duty become a weapon of terrifying power and versatility.

System
The Third Stage Power of the Chains of Duty causes the chains to now shackle you from nape to ankle, and provide protection equal to +1 Chainmail.

As a Standard action, you may willfully control a number of chains equal to half(1/2) your character level. The chains may be extemded out to a range of 15ft, and may be used to attack and grapple, functioning as a +1 Spiked Chain, using your Ranged Attack bonus. Any strength modifier provided by the Chains shall be applied to damage rolls made by the Chains.

Additionally, the chains may be used to lift you into the air, and carry you spider-like at great speeds. This requires a Standard Action, and allows you to move at three times (3x) your base rate, or shall provide a +10 bonus to all Climb checks.

Stage 4: Duty Bound

You comprehend now that the Chains were never the cursed metal you once thought, but were a manifestation of your own subconscious sense of self.

You and they are one and the same.

System:You now have complete control over the Chains, and may expand or reduce them (down to their initial Choker Amulet, or up to full Chain Mail) at will, as a Free Action.

Additionally, The Chains no longer inflict damage when you cast Blighted magic, and provide a +2 to your effective Caster Level.

The Sword of Destiny

This exquisite sword is moulded to the shape of the hand meant to hold it, the blade elegently curved in perhaps elven or else otherworldly design, the edge keen far beyond a razor's...

Along the guard is an inscription in an ancient and unknowable tongue, which by some intuition you comprehend completely:

"I am the Dividing Line
Between the Will of the Gods
Against the Elder Horrors
Of Chaos and Despair"

Stats: 1d6, +3 enhancement, Keen, Speed, Vorpal. Adjusted Critical Rate: 16-20/x3. May use with Weapon Finesse.

Chosen
The sword has chosen you as it's bearer, and is always ready in your hand the moment you need it. You may draw the sword as a free action, and make an extra attack at full bonus each round. Always in effect.

Stage 2: Arcane Parry
The second stage power of the Sword of Destiny allows you to deflect, absorb, and even reflect incoming magical attacks.

Each round, you may attempt to deflect one incoming spell as a free action. You may gain additional deflection attempts by sacrificing attacks for that round on a one to one basis.

If a first deflection attempt against a spell fails, you may not attempt to deflect the same spell again.

To deflect a spell, make a Reflex Save, DC (the Caster Level of the incoming spell).

If you fail, the spell takes effect as normal.

If you succeed, the spell is blocked, and the energy absorbed into the sword.

When a spell is absorbed, it provides a number of points equal to the spell's Spell Level.

This energy may be utilized in a variety of ways.

Firstly, they may further guide your blade to be more accurate or deadly: For each point so expended during an attack, you may gain a +1 to either your Attack roll or your Damage roll. (Points may be distributed between the two, but no 1 point may apply to both.)

Secondly, you may channel the energy into yourself: Each point so expended provides 3 temporary Hit Points added to your total. This extra energy dissipates at the end of the scene.

Finally, you may expel the stored energy in a blast of raw power: Expend as many points as desired, and make a Ranged Touch Attack against a target within 60ft. For each point expended, the target takes 1d4(Force) damage.

Additionally, if your Deflection Check succeeds by 10 or more, you may choose to Reflect the spell back at the caster, or onto any target in sight.

The Sword of Destiny may hold a Maximum of 10 points.

Stage 3: Spirit of the Sword
Visiting your dreams each night, this peerless master of the sword grants you knowledge and skill you could never hope to attain otherwise.

System:
The Third Stage Power of the Sword of Destiny opens you to the knowledge and mastery of the one who held it before. You may gain one(1) Stance, and one(1) maneuver from the Diamond Mind martial adept school.

Additionally, you gain 'Blighted' as a favored enemy type. You may count this as your 'first' favored enemy, when calculating its effects.

The Hands of the Maker

Holding the strength and skill of the builder gods, these heavy gauntlets aid in any sort of creation...

The Hands add a +10 bonus to all Crafting checks, and +2 to the wearer's Strength. Additionally, they Half (1/2), to a minimum of 1, the Exp. cost of crafting Magical Items.

Chosen
Yours are the hands to be guided by the gods. The Hands of the Maker shall assist you, and you alone.

This artifact takes up the Gauntlets Slot.

Stage 2: Manipulation and Comprehension
The second stage power of the Hands of the Maker, allow you to pick apart, learn, lift off, re-lay, and even re-purpose the enchantments you find upon magical items.

To do so, make a Spellcraft check, DC 10+ the Caster Level of the Item. If you succeed, you may manipulate the enchantment in any of the following manners:

Learn Effecting Spells
If an Item contains a spell effect(s), you may prepare the spell(s) as though preparing a spell from your spellbook.

Lift/Lay Enchantment
You may remove the enchantment from the item it is on, and lay it (unchanged) upon a different item.

Re-purpose Enchantment
If an enchantment does not suit your purposes, you may absorb the raw energy of the enchantment, and use it to fuel an enchantment of your own. The enchantment is destroyed, and you gain 2/3 the exp. spent to create the item to apply to another item you create.

Additionally, you gain +2 to your effective Caster Level when crafting items.

Note: Artifacts are beyond the power of the Hands to manipulate, though you may still learn spell effects from them.

STAGE 3: Sacrifice Spell
You may expend prepared spell slots to further empower other spells.

System:You may apply any meta magic effect, or series of effects, to a given spell, by sacrificing a number of spell levels equal to the level increase cost of the metamagic effect(s).

STAGE 4: Unmaking
You may convert your prepared formulae into raw destructive power.

System: Make a ranged touch attack against a target, and sacrifice any number of spells. A beam of raw destructive energy shall erupt from your hands dealing 1d8 (force) damage for every spell level sacrificed. (Cantrips count as half a level.)

This effect may further improved by the Stage 3 power of the hands, expending additional spell levels to apply meta magic effects (such as Empower and Maximize) to the beam.

Applying the 'Widen' metamagic effect to the beam shall widen it into a Cone. This negates the need for a ranged touch attack roll, however allows for the targets to make a Reflex Save, DC 1.5 x your caster level, to halve the damage.

--------------------------------------

Lore

Continental Map

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/chaunceyparsons/ContinentalTradeRoutes_zps812ff7af.jpg

A Brief Explanation of Politics, Cities, and Geography

Most cities are Independent City States, each ruled in their own fashion, be it Ruling Class, Royal Family, Republic, Theocracy, or any combination of the above.

Massive stone edifices litter the continent, built by peoples long lost to the mists of history, for purposes unknown. Most cities have grown around these cyclopean structures and fortresses, as they provide easy fortification, and sit in idealy provisional lands.

Timaril, centrally located, is the largest city on the continent. It's people are a wide variety of races, but the predominent population is human. It calls itself a Republic, but is truly controlled by the wealthy upper classes. It is rife with crime and political intrigue, and it's population numbers in the millions of souls.

Beluvah has been a religious center since anyone can remember, and is governed by the council of Religious Leaders. It's great temples the goal of many a pilgrim on their way to pay hommage to their chosen gods. It stays apart, at least publicly, from most intercity politics.

Star Spire is named for the impossibly tall iron spire that sits at it's center, reaching high into the heavens. The spire was ancient when people first settled around it, and, like the other great structures, continues to be a mystery to any who would seek to understand its origin. The Land around it is high and rocky plateaus and mountains, reaching east to the cost, and south to the Red Canyon, through which the river flows from Clear Water Lake.

Great Gate is the oldest human city on the continent, and generally believed to be where all humans originally came from. It is ruled by a King.

The Ancient's Way is an incredibly massive stone bridge that connects the Northern Reaches to the Mainland. 26 miles long, and wide enough for a thousand men to march abreast, it's construction is far beyond contemporary means.

Citidel is a ancient fortress sitting at the base of the Ancient's Way. Now, it has grown into a hard trading comunity through which all action between the North and the Mainland must pass.

Loc'Nethal is the city of Elves, burried deep in the southern forrests. Very little is know about it, but the Elves are becoming increasingly territorial as expanding outposts encroach into their lands.

Black Harbor is the slavers' outpost, where those captured and kidnapped are rounded up to be shipped out to their buyers. Many cities condone slavery, many others do not.

Deep Mote The Dwarven stronghold grew up over an expansive network of mines in the northern mountains.
[/SPOILER]

On Star Spire

About five centuries ago, King Gunter the Fist of Great Gate embarked on a campaign that drove the continent to its knees. The barbaric hordes that populated much of the lands were driven northwards over the Ancient's Way and exiled there, the Elves, defeated on the open field, retreated deep into the great forest, and all the lands in between were conquered... With the exception of the Dwarven stronghold of Deep Mote, where, owing the narrow mountain passes and the strength of the keep, King Gunter's armies broke like water upon their walls, and ultimately left the dwarves to their own devices.

The Silver Horsemen were once a contingent of Great Gate's army, and it was they that drove the giants and barbaric tribes from the lands around the Star Spire, and settled the city.

In the years following King Gunter's death, his empire gradually collapsed in upon itself, culminated by the uprising in Timaril, when the people of the city revolted, cast off the shackles of Great Gate's rule, and set the stage for a long and bloody revolution.

Star Spire, at the time, was still very much under the despotic command of Great Gate, and more directly, by Duke Jasper Clay, commander of the Silver Horsemen...

When he found himself cut off from the capitol by a major city in open revolt, he seized the opportunity. Ignoring his orders calling him to reinforce the armies marching to quell the uprising in Timaril, he severed his ties with Great Gate, declared Star Spire an independent sovereign nation, and installed himself as the new King. His line has ruled there [officially]unbroken ever since.

In recent years, the city was ruled by His Highness King Durnic Clay IV. He passed away about four years ago, however, leaving his young son Claudus sitting in the throne.

The Boy King, Claudus Clay, second of his name, is fourteen years old, and rules with the aid of his coucil of advisors. It's said he is already well accomplished as a swordsman and a horseman for his age, and under his 'rule' the city continues to prosper.

------------
Very few historical records remain from the time of King Gunter's empire. The revolution was long and bloody, and many cities on the continent were all but burnt to rubble (in some cases more than once) in the process.

As such, most knowledge of the events of the time is known through bards tales and songs of heroes rather than documentation. Formal historical records in most cities date back less than a century, and in many, not even that long.

Gods, Deities, Etc.
Gods, Deities, Spirits, and their interactions with the mortal realm

The gods are numerous beyond count, and equally varying in power and influence over the people who live there.

Their purposes and agendas are complex and unknowable to mortals, who can only ever grasp the vaguest principles that each god is said to represent (honor, duty, war, murder, magic, etc.)

They are, however, very involved in the lives of the mortals. Constantly nudging them and pulling them towards their ends. They speak through omens and portents, visions and dreams, signs and fortunes. With legions of angels and demons at their service, they guide the mortals through their lives.

Though they'll never give you a straight answer... Those few truly capable of contacting the gods directly are met with riddles and inuendo, or answers which seem to have to relevence to the question asked... Such is their way.

And so, in a mortal's life, everything from the sermon at the great temple, the tattoo glimpsed on the tavern wench's thigh, the old woman with the crystal ball, or even the coin accidently dropped by a passerby, are the moments through which the gods speak.

As such, society is riddled with every manner of fortune teller, sooth sayer, priest, and spirit man that one could immagine. Most have no true connection with the powers they claim to represent, but are still as often messengers of the gods as they are not (almost always unaware of the differences between their usual ramblings and the god's words).

The gods themselves, similarly, are as conflicted as they are numerous, and certainly not above posing as one another. And so a person who takes to heart every potential sign or omen, finds themselves pulled in so many directions they are likely to go mad. Similarly, a person who attempts to ignore every potential sign, must always wonder if he is not still being strung along by influences he is unaware of.

And so, many fall to following popular gods, or attend smaller gatherings to lesser deities, or simply pay some attention to their fortunes, and try to get through their lives without bothering to much about them.

(This is written in the perspective from a city, but the spirits of nature behave in much the same fashion.)

The Divine Pantheon

In times passed, the hands of the gods at work has been rarely felt any other than their chosen priesthoods.

One could argue that this is because they were so widely and completely worshiped throughout the land that they did not feel the need to take an active hand in any earthly situation... And that argument might be correct...

Be that as may, with the burning of Beluvah, the security that they enjoyed has ended, and as faith in them falters, they face just as real a threat as the rest of the world. Whether they forsaw these events, and could not stop them, or if they are only now rallying from their complacency, the gods are beginning to take a very active stance in restoring the people's faith in their powers.

There are Four Primary Gods. These gods are the most commonly worshiped, and generally considered to be the most powerful.

These are their descriptions:

The Greater Gods

Bahumat
"The Dragon"
Courage, Nobility, Strength

Your daily life is fraught with unknowns, worries, and misgivings... Whether marching to battle, or merely going to the market, look to The Dragon for the strength and courage to face the unknown.

Tiamat
"The Lurking Shadow"
Fury, Self Interest[greed], Trickery

There are many desires in life, and thus many frustrations. There is strength in anger, and when you've been wronged, The Dark Lady will be there to take your hand and hold you up... But beware, her hand is cold, and if you hold it too long, she will freeze your heart.

Palor
"The Sun, The Light, The Life"
Sun, Earth, Protection

His light gives life to our crops and and warmth to our hearts. He drives away the dark and protects us from our fears. But even greater than these is the love he shows his wife, The Moon Goddess... For each night he dies for her that she might shine.

Wee Jas
"The Moon Goddess"
Knowledge, Death, Chaos

Ever changing and uncaring, our plights are not her worry... But we look on her with wonder, wondering what she knows... That life is but a passing thing, and all who play must die... But hope we have for what she shows... To live, to learn, to try...

After the four primary gods, there are four 'lesser' gods.

These gods are often worshiped in conjunction with one of the primary gods, but just as often worshiped alone.

They are considered to be nearly, if not equally as powerful as the primary gods, and many cultures interchange them with the primaries.

Their descriptions:

The Lesser Gods

Lathander
"The Morninglord"
Compassion, Renewal, Healing
With the rising of the sun, each new day begins anew. So too can a small act if kindness restore a person who has fallen, and allow them to rise again.

Moradin
"The Smith"
Creation, Destruction, Pride

There is virtue in taking pride in work well done. By the toil of your arm and the sweat of your brow great wonders may rise. But to create, often you must first destroy... To grown crops, the grass of the field must first be cut, and the soil turned... To build a building, trees must be felled, and stone quarried from the living earth... As you reach for a better life, foes shall arise... And they must be defeated.

Nerul
"The Unmaker"
Death, Destruction, Decay

Ash to ash, and dust to dust. From the earth we, and everything we create, arise, and so, in the fullness of time, all must return. In this we take hope, for even in our brief moments upon this earth, the world can be made better for our presence in it.

Errythnul
"The Many"
Chaos, Slaughter, Hate

Be wary, for wherever you are, he is there... And he is hungry... Feeding on your pains and dark desires... When you seek to do harm, he is there, guiding your hand, whispering in your ear... Telling you it's the right thing to do... Teaching you to like doing it... But he will guide your enemies too, and if you become his servant, his servants shall find you.

There are countless other minor deities that may come into play later.

The System

If you Invoke a god's name before taking an action that is in keeping with the god's core concept, you may receive the 'Granted Power' for one of that god's three domains.

In the event that the 'Granted Power' is a '+1 Caster Level' bonus, you may cast the 1st Level Domain Spell as a blessing from that god.

Or

You may receive a +2 bonus to that action.

This is a Supernatural Ability (Su) that may be used once per day.

Here's some cheap examples:

"By Moradin, you must be destroyed that a greater world can be created!" *SMASH*

"Nerul teaches that all things end in the fullness of time, and your time is now." *SMASH*

"Lathander's light upon you." *Cure Light Wounds*

Etc. etc.

Note: A degree of faith must be shown for the gods to provide their blessings. Simply spouting off their names isn't enough to do it. But if you ask for help, and mean it, they will lend a hand.

Knightly Orders

Many Noble families recall their lines stretching back across the centuries, and many elite orders of protectors have developed with them.

The Silver Horsemen
The Slayers of Giants, the makers of Kings, and the Noblest of the Noble, these are the famed Knights of Star Spire. This order was said to have taken the lands around the Spire from the giant tribes that lived there in ages past. The order has existed longer than there are records for, and it's list of valorous deeds stretches for miles.

Ranging through all the lands surrounding Star Spire, the Silver Horsemen are kown for their white horses and shining armor, and march under a Banner of a rearing white horse on a burgundy feild, crossed by a clashing sword and lance.

They are lead by Sir Gerret Thornside

The Dragonknights
When the Dragons of old sailed the skys, none stood before the destruction they wrought. Untill the men of this Order arose... Weilding fearsome magics and deadly weapons, they bled the beasts for every village burned and peasant devoured, unto near extinction...

Based in Great Gate since men first landed on these shores, none need fear the terrors of the sky, or any other, in their presence.

Their helms and armors wrought in draconic fashion, the Dragonknights are known by their Banner of a black dragon spewing flame across a green field.

They are lead by Lord Jessen Kleret.

The Garrison
In ages passed, the king in Great Gate sought to control the whole of the continent. From Timaril to Citadel, none stood before the might of his armies... The orcish hordes were pushed back across the Ancient's Way, and even the Elves fled deep into their forrests. Nothing was beyond his grasp...

Untill he fell upon the garrison at Deep Mote...

The Garrison barely a thousand strong, the might of the king's great empire stopped at their wall, and never reached a step further.

To this day, under their watch, Deep Mote has never fallen... And never shall.

Theirs is the Banner of Deep Mote itself, A hammar and pick crossed over a slate grey field.

They are lead by Dylan Grimaxe.

The Order
Clearwater has always been a center for trade and learning, and does not possess much military strength beyond it's city watch. As such, it has always been a tempting target for any upstart dictator for it's wealth and ideal location...

However, whenever armies have marched on the city, to be met by the feeble strength of the city guard, it has been shown time and again that a few interested and well educated individuals can more than make up for a lack of manpower...

The wizards, sorcerors, and alchemists who make up the order are much more researchers in their normal lives than they are warriors. But when they take to the field, even great attacking forces have been said to flee at the sight of the Ivory Tower of their Banner flying over their walls.

They are lead by Grey Gregor.

The Knights of the Golden Mantle
The largest city on the continent, Timaril is both wealthy and powerful. It's standing army is the largest in the land, and it's elite troop, the Knights of the Golden Mantle, are the pride of all who reside within, or within sight of, it's walls.

Chosen from the finest soldiers of the ranks, these peerless warriors are credited for having made Timaril what it is today.

Their Banner is a Silver Shield upon a gleaming golden field.

They are lead by Lord Jaysen Tearic.

MERCENARY TROOPS

Despite the fact that there has been a tenuous peace over the land for the better part of a century, numerous skirmishes have taken place between rival cities and factions, usually at the hands of paid and unflagged mercenaries, rather than officially sanctioned soldiers. These are some of the more famous groups.

The Bloody Hands
Long ago, when the demi-human hordes of the North threatened to break through Citadel, it was mercenary troops from Ork Watch that bolstered the beleagured ranks, and stopped the invasion... Namely among them were the Bloody Hands.

These men are the separated and the outcast from more official soldiering troops, who've bonded togather to continue doing what they do best for the highest bidder... Fighting and killing.

Their banner is a brown field with a bloody hand print.

They are lead by Torin Hamerfist.

The Ashen Company
They say the men of this company are contracted to serve even after death, and to them, the will of the company stands above that of any king or god.
Marching into battle smeared with the ashes of their fallen brethren, it's said that these men are both protected and empowered by the spirits of those than came before them...

Whatever the truth may be, they are known to fight without flagger and without pause, and without fear of death, and their deeds are sung by bards all across the land.

Their banner is a plain ashen field.

They are lead by Graham Sweeper.

The Crimson Horde
Raids by barbarians and demi-human creatures are common all across the continent, and once upon a time, an enterprising orc decided to start selling the service...

Now one of the strongest troops on the continent, the Crimson Horde is made up of orks, goblins, trolls, ogres, gnolls, hob-goblins, and any other creature willing to swing an axe for gold. They are brutal and vicious, and well worth whatever price they ask.

Their banner is a torn red cloth.

They are lead by Zog Rotgut.

Regarding the Elves

There is something of a dissconnect between the Elves of Loc'Nethal and those that populate the rest of the continent.

For lack of a better term, we'll call them the High Elves and the Low elves.

For the last several centuries, since the conquest of Great King Guntur the Fist of Great Gate, the High Elves have secluded themselves in the forests around Loc'Nethal, and have shown themselves to be oppossed, sometimes violently, to outside contact.

The forest is not their's alone, however... Barbaric tribes and bandits often hide in the outskirts of the woods for the safety and easy forage the woods provide, and lumber harvesting operations operate all around the forest's edges.

Skirmishes between these groups is common, and every so often, an elf is captured.

Due to their rarity, and the legends surrounding them, elves fetch a high price on the slave market, and a pure blood of the forest can make a pirate crew rich as kings on the single sale alone.

Once caught, such specimines are most often taken to the slave pits of Black Harbor and bred, usually unto death. Their (usually) half-human offspring are then sold across the continent to the wealthy of discerning tastes, or else bred further...

This practice has gone on for several centuries, and now a new breed of elf circulates through the population.

These 'Low Elves' are still uncommon, and while many have escaped or been released from their bonds, and made lives for themselves through various means, they are still always in danger of kidnap by slavers. To avoid this, many cut off their ears and scar their faces, or use other methods to hide or revile their heritage.

It has been said that some have tried to return to their ancestral home, but those who've tried have never returned... Whether because they were successful and welcomed, or killed, no one can say.

Either way, there is no communication that comes out of the forest, and none of any elven heritage have connection to Loc'Nethal save by the blood in their veins.

#Raptor
2011-09-25, 12:46 PM
Yay! I'll take Blue for Taribo Woolsworth. Character sheet is done btw.
Healers kit is 50 gp right? If we all prune our equipment a bit we can probably afford it together. I can contribute 10 gp. ^^

Zerter
2011-09-25, 12:51 PM
Elia Eriksen will speak in Yellow. I've got 5 gp for a healing kit pool. I also swapped two feats for different ones, assume that's not a problem since we have not started yet.

#Raptor
2011-09-25, 01:38 PM
Hmm, my spell selection is kinda... well, only spells that will either auto-win the encounter if they work or will be useless if they don't work. :>
Shame all good de-buffs and buffs are already taken
Used to have Enlarge Person but since its already choosen by jvluso I instead took Color Spray, but I'm afraid that may be a bit of a encounter-ender as it might leave the rest of the party with nothing better to do than coup-de-gracing the unconscious, blinded, and stunned enemies.

/Edit 2: Woah, I just took a look at ur other threads, Archwizard... 13 pages already in the other Worlds Largest Dungeon group. :smalleek:
U wanna know how long the longest PBP campaign I've played (been been playing in a total 12 campaigns here) lasted? 13 pages! And the average campaign died after only 4,67 pages.
Errr, so... in conclusion: All hail Archwizard! May he DM long and prosper! :smallbiggrin:
Looking forward to this.

Mr. X
2011-09-25, 02:05 PM
After some pruning, I've got 18gp towards the healer's kit.

Brings us to a total of 33gp of 50. Anybody else?

Sucrose
2011-09-25, 02:35 PM
Well, I suppose that a large club would serve just about as well as a morningstar for bludgeoning needs, so I can supply the remaining 17 gp.

Mr. X
2011-09-25, 02:55 PM
Whooo Hooo! So who's got the highest Heal skill?

I've got 2 ranks, cross classed.

#Raptor
2011-09-25, 04:57 PM
I think thats you or our Spirit Shaman then, wich also has +2 from wis.
Since you paid the largest part of it... I'll say lets give it to u. (Unless ur lawful evil wizard would not heal my chaotic good sorcerer... in that case I'd have to vote for the Spirit Shaman :smalltongue: )

Mr. X
2011-09-25, 05:45 PM
Chaotic Good people make the best pawns. As long as your life promotes (at least philosophically) the continual conflict for the betterment of the world, I shall keep you alive as long as I possibly can.

(Though that might still only amount to a number of minutes, depending on the situation.)

@Archwizard:
May we treat weapons with Alchemist's Fire to create Flaming weapons?

Archwizard
2011-09-25, 06:12 PM
Speaking of alignment issues: Party Game. As long as that is kept in mind, go nuts.

On alchemist's fire, sure. Of course, not without me mucking with it.
Make a Dex check, DC 15.

Natural 1 | Fail, Set yourself on fire as if hit by alchemist's fire
9 or less | Fail, Alchemist's Fire is ruined.
10-14 | Success, 1 round duration
15+ | Success, Duration 1d4+(roll-15), max +6
Natural 20 | Success, 10 round duration[/table]

I'm getting to sheet reviews, housework has delayed me quite a bit.

Any tweaks/updates you guys want to make are fine until IC goes up, that's when any changes must happen IC.

jvluso
2011-09-25, 06:38 PM
Versel will speak in Gray. Also, he has 78 gp sitting around which should probably be spent. He is currently more limited by carrying capacity, so if someone else wants him to buy something for them (or can think of something he should buy), just ask. He should probably spend some of it on rations though.

Mr. X
2011-09-25, 10:26 PM
A little more Alchemist's fire never hurt anybody (20gp/flask). I should be fairly capable of making more of that stuff once we get started as well, but it'll be nice to have around early on. Same goes for Acid Flasks(10th/flask).

A few extra whet stones might be in order as well.

I'm maxed out in capacity as well though, so we'll need one of the strong people to carry the extra stuff.

EDIT:

(Actually, that goes for the Healing Kit as well... If nobody else has any extra room, I'll suck it up and take the movement penalty.)

EDIT/2:

Also, if someone would care to invest in Artisan's Tools or even Masterwork Artisan's Tools (5gp and 55gp respectively, 5lbs) I shall return the favor with Masterwork and Magical weapons or Armor, If I live long enough to become capable of such a thing.

Zerter
2011-09-25, 11:17 PM
I can carry another 4,5 lb.

Sucrose
2011-09-25, 11:25 PM
Versel will speak in Gray. Also, he has 78 gp sitting around which should probably be spent. He is currently more limited by carrying capacity, so if someone else wants him to buy something for them (or can think of something he should buy), just ask. He should probably spend some of it on rations though.

Well, given that you have all this cash, perhaps you could supply 16 of the gp for the Healing Kit, thereby allowing Kulkav to regain his Large Morningstar?

Past that, alchemist's fire, acid, and rations do seem like reasonable choices.

#Raptor
2011-09-26, 12:07 PM
I'm maxed out in capacity as well though, so we'll need one of the strong people to carry the extra stuff.

Although hes certainly neither strong nor big, my Gnomish Mule Sorcerer can carry another 45,1 Lbs. :smallamused:
The difference between 20 or 15 feet movement rate probably won't make much of a difference. Just remember to grab me when we have to run away. :smallwink:

Mr. X
2011-09-26, 09:28 PM
Don't worry, we'll just have to win all our encounters. No problem. :-D

jvluso
2011-09-26, 09:42 PM
He could definitely chip in 16 gp for the healing kit. Alchemist's fire and acid I am less excited about because I dislike one use items in general. Do we have any form of illumination? If we don't, a lantern and oil may be good (for someone else to carry.) Also some exotic weapons (such as the net or lasso) could be good to have even though nobody is proficient with them. They target touch AC, so the non-proficiency penalty is less important, and the debuff is quite nice.

Mr. X
2011-09-26, 09:49 PM
I've got an Everburning torch, I think Kulkov's got one too. I can cast Light as well when we need it, but it won't last very long.

Sucrose
2011-09-26, 11:01 PM
I've got an Everburning torch, I think Kulkov's got one too. I can cast Light as well when we need it, but it won't last very long.

Kulkav does indeed have one of his own. I figure that two light sources should be sufficient. The net does seem like a neat idea, though.

Perhaps you could acquire a masterwork tool or two, jvluso? Those could be of use.

Archwizard
2011-09-27, 03:41 AM
Okay, sheet review time:

Sucrose:

Size is listed as Large, this is incorrect. Unless in a Mountain Rage, you are still Medium sized (Powerful Build applies bonuses and benefits, but does not alter your size).
You should list weight of items in the items list, just to make it easier to see total weight.

Other than that, looks good.

Jvluso:

No Shapesand. I find that item to be ridiculous.
How do you qualify for Invisible Spell since it has a prerequisite of having another metamagic feat?
What is dragonblood substitution and where is it from?

I think that's all.

#Raptor:
As I noted here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11884103&postcount=130) in the recruitment thread, bonuses to the skills the make up Stealth/Perception get halved. So you get a +4 racial bonus to Stealth and a +1 racial bonus to Perception for being a forest gnome.
I think that's it for you.

Mr. X:

Why do you have 5 action points listed?
It looks like you didn't pay the 100 gold to get your familiar.
Please add your spell DCs to the sheet.
What are Artisan's Tools (Alchemical)?

I think that's it for the sheet.
On the issue of milking your snake, starting with 5 vials is fine, you can milk the snake at a rate of 1 vial per week. In any week in which you milk the snake it loses the ability to use its poison in its bite.

To milk the snake, you must make a DC 15 Handle Animal check.

Natural 1 | Poisoned by the venom, -2 to save
5 or less | Snake makes a bite attack against you, has venom
6-10 | Fail, week's vial ruined
11-14 | Fail, snake can use poison this week
15 | Success, vial good for 1 day
16+ | Success, vial stable
Natural 20 | Success, vial stable, +2 DC[/table]

While Handle Animal is normally 'Trained Only', in this case you can make the check untrained.
If you have 5 ranks of Knowledge (Nature) you get a +2 synergy bonus on the check.

Zerter:

Off-hand weapons only get 1/2 your Str bonus to damage, so the dagger should be 1d3+1.
You don't list your armor in the space provided.
I need you to add a note that you have -2 to saves vs. fear effects (Craven).
Add your leftover currency to the currency space.
How do you have 12 HP? Rogues use d6's, and you have +4 from Con.

I think that's it here.

VikingOfDoom:

You are entitled to 32 skill points ([4 Spirit Shaman + 3 Int + 1 Human] x 4) but you only used 28 (I bet you forgot the +1 Human).
Why is your quarterstaff damage 1d6-2? It looks like it should be 1d6-1.
30 days of feed for the Donkey weighs 300 lbs, not 200. Donkeys can only carry 150 lbs (Heavy load). Mules can carry 690 lbs as a heavy load (but are Large).
30 days trail rations weighs 30 lbs, not 20.
30 torches weigh 30 lbs, not 20.
A pack saddle weighs 15 lbs, not 2.
By my count, you've spent 78 gold (I charged you 1 sp for the 3 rubber balls). You have 240 starting gold. So, go on a spending spree.
You're short 1 feat (probably the bonus feat for being human).
Speaking of feats, since summoning spells are banned Spontaneous Summoner is probably not the best choice.

I think that's it for this one.
Diplomacy uses the Giant's homebrew, Wild Empathy will do so as well.

Whee.

Zerter
2011-09-27, 03:57 AM
Fixed everything listed.

Archwizard
2011-09-27, 05:06 AM
Cool.

I created MapTools tokens for everyone:

http://bfb.bogleg.org/~whitewolf/WLD_portraits.png

They're just shown against 2 different backgrounds for the heck of it.
Versel is the only one I don't like, I couldn't find a good image with purple scales for hair (or really, any with scales for hair on a Spellscale).

If you want something else just post a pic and I'll make a token.

Sucrose
2011-09-27, 08:55 AM
Okay, sheet review time:

Sucrose:

Size is listed as Large, this is incorrect. Unless in a Mountain Rage, you are still Medium sized (Powerful Build applies bonuses and benefits, but does not alter your size).
You should list weight of items in the items list, just to make it easier to see total weight.

Other than that, looks good.

I am aware that Kulkav is Medium; I wrote Large in the Mythweavers sheet because it was an easy way to account for the improved carrying capacity from his Powerful Build. That said, both elements are now accounted for. Token seems good.:smallsmile:

Mr. X
2011-09-27, 11:54 AM
Regarding the Familiar, sorry I forgot the cost... Which poses a question to the party:

To afford my familiar, and the supply of poisons that come with it, I must forgo my Everburning torch, leaving us with only 1 permanent light source.

Additionally, I could take Eternal Flame as one of my second lv spells, but it seems a bit of a wasted slot if it's only gonna get used once or twice.

@Archwizard, should I forgo my familiar, would you allow me to take the "Enhance Attribute" Transmuter Variant (+2 to any attribute, 1 time/day/5lvs, no familiar ever.)

Thoughts everyone?

(I'm working on the rest of the problems as we speak.)

jvluso
2011-09-27, 12:49 PM
for the mistakes:
1. Thought it would be OK because it is significantly more expensive than anything it can replace. It won't be bought.
2. It does? Darn. Still considering what to replace it with.
3. I should have said this, but everything without a listed source is either from the SRD or from Races of the Dragon. I should have probably written 'dragonblood substitution levels.' The gold refers to dragonic heritage needing a type of dragon.

For the image:
That is exactly how I was imagining him. I wrote purple scales in the hair section because his scales match his hair, and there was no place to write that his skin was covered in purple scales.

For the light source/familiar:
Without the shapesand, Versel can buy an everburning torch.

Musings for the feat:
I plan for Versel to go into the Mage of the Arcane Order PRC at 6th level, so of his two feats, one must be Cooperative Spell, and the other must be another meta magic feat. Since Cooperative Spell requires another metamagic feat, it will be taken at level 3. Which means I need to find a metamagic feat which can be taken at level 1 and will be useful at level 1.
The Giant's metamagic feats (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172910) would be useful for this, though I'm not sure which one. Lucky could be useful, though he doesn't yet have any spell it can be used on. Bane might be if there was a creature type which would come up an unusually large amount of the time, but there isn't. Suppressible would be very good if the countdown timer didn't keep ticking.
The other option would be the sudden metamagic feats. A once per day silent, still, widen, or extend doesn't seem that useful, but it's better than nothing.
Also, speaking of MotA, it requires that a guild initiation fee be paid. Would it be somehow possible to qualify without being able to be anywhere near the guild? If not, than this feat doesn't need to be metamagic at all.

#Raptor
2011-09-27, 01:39 PM
Char sheet fixed.

@Mr.X: I got a everburning torch and I've got dancing lights as a SLA once a day as well as some sunrods, so we still have 2 permanent light sources (and we actually used to have 3 ^^).

Nice to see that we are both aiming to increase the versatility of our Sorcerers, jvluso. :smallsmile: 2 Sorcerers with a maximum of versatility + 1 Wizard = Arcane domination. :smallamused: (alternatively: TPK if we get in a anti-magic field.)

Archwizard
2011-09-27, 01:41 PM
Regarding the Familiar, sorry I forgot the cost... Which poses a question to the party:

To afford my familiar, and the supply of poisons that come with it, I must forgo my Everburning torch, leaving us with only 1 permanent light source.

Additionally, I could take Eternal Flame as one of my second lv spells, but it seems a bit of a wasted slot if it's only gonna get used once or twice.

@Archwizard, should I forgo my familiar, would you allow me to take the "Enhance Attribute" Transmuter Variant (+2 to any attribute, 1 time/day/5lvs, no familiar ever.)

Thoughts everyone?

(I'm working on the rest of the problems as we speak.)

Re: ACF, sure.

for the mistakes:
1. Thought it would be OK because it is significantly more expensive than anything it can replace. It won't be bought.
2. It does? Darn. Still considering what to replace it with.
3. I should have said this, but everything without a listed source is either from the SRD or from Races of the Dragon. I should have probably written 'dragonblood substitution levels.' The gold refers to dragonic heritage needing a type of dragon.

For the image:
That is exactly how I was imagining him. I wrote purple scales in the hair section because his scales match his hair, and there was no place to write that his skin was covered in purple scales.

For the light source/familiar:
Without the shapesand, Versel can buy an everburning torch.

Musings for the feat:
I plan for Versel to go into the Mage of the Arcane Order PRC at 6th level, so of his two feats, one must be Cooperative Spell, and the other must be another meta magic feat. Since Cooperative Spell requires another metamagic feat, it will be taken at level 3. Which means I need to find a metamagic feat which can be taken at level 1 and will be useful at level 1.
The Giant's metamagic feats (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172910) would be useful for this, though I'm not sure which one. Lucky could be useful, though he doesn't yet have any spell it can be used on. Bane might be if there was a creature type which would come up an unusually large amount of the time, but there isn't. Suppressible would be very good if the countdown timer didn't keep ticking.
The other option would be the sudden metamagic feats. A once per day silent, still, widen, or extend doesn't seem that useful, but it's better than nothing.
Also, speaking of MotA, it requires that a guild initiation fee be paid. Would it be somehow possible to qualify without being able to be anywhere near the guild? If not, than this feat doesn't need to be metamagic at all.

1. You know, it's not the price, it's just... I really can't stand the item. Now, if someone tried to buy a chaos flask, that would get the "hahahahahahahahahahahaha yeah right" treatment. That item has to be the biggest piece of bull**** ever printed.
2. On the feat/PrC, I think that PrC is going to have to stay off limits. A lot of the benefits are tied to having access to the guild's library or resources, something you will not have. I hate refluffing.
3. Okay.

Edit: Re: Giant's metamagic feats, I agree with his after-the-fact analysis and recommended changes.

Zerter
2011-09-27, 03:31 PM
alternatively: TPK if we get in a anti-magic field.

Thanks for the vote of confidence on behalf of the non-spellcasters :smallfrown:

#Raptor
2011-09-27, 04:32 PM
Oh I trust our non-spellcasters... its just that 4/6 of our party members are casters. I'd be a bit worried if we had to fight something with a appropriate Challenge Rating in a AMF. :smalleek:
But traps in AMF? Taribo will get out the camping gear and gladly lay back and let a fellow gnome take care of it. :smalltongue:

Mr. X
2011-09-27, 04:41 PM
@ Archwizard

Ok, spell DC's are in, action points are out (didn't know if we were using them), lost torch to pay for Familiar, have extra 10 gp...

Regarding the Snake Milking, I don't want to complain so shoot me down if I'm out of line...

I presume 1 vial=1 dose, lost after 1 attack or quality time expires.

I feel like only getting one dose/week and losing the snake's poison attack for Every bite that week is a little short changed, especially if I'm running a fairly high risk of not getting the poison at all...

I fully approve of the DC milking rules (actually I like them alot)

I also understand the huge benefit of getting the poison for free... Still...

I am, however, happy to abide by whatever you rule.

EDIT:

Oh, and the Artisan's Tools(Alchemical) were just to avoid incurring the -2 penalty for using improvised tools for alchemy crafting without a complete lab. If I don't need them, I'll make them Weaponsmithing tools.

Archwizard
2011-09-28, 04:25 AM
@ Archwizard

Ok, spell DC's are in, action points are out (didn't know if we were using them), lost torch to pay for Familiar, have extra 10 gp...

Regarding the Snake Milking, I don't want to complain so shoot me down if I'm out of line...

I presume 1 vial=1 dose, lost after 1 attack or quality time expires.

I feel like only getting one dose/week and losing the snake's poison attack for Every bite that week is a little short changed, especially if I'm running a fairly high risk of not getting the poison at all...

I fully approve of the DC milking rules (actually I like them alot)

I also understand the huge benefit of getting the poison for free... Still...

I am, however, happy to abide by whatever you rule.

EDIT:

Oh, and the Artisan's Tools(Alchemical) were just to avoid incurring the -2 penalty for using improvised tools for alchemy crafting without a complete lab. If I don't need them, I'll make them Weaponsmithing tools.

One vial is one dose. Basically, because the viper is Tiny, it takes a week to get a suitable dose that can be applied to a medium weapon. Since you are milking the viper for a week, if it were to use the poison in a bite you wouldn't be able to gether a vial's worth. Additionally, there are assumptions built in that you are not 100% efficient in milking/storing the venom during the week.

I really don't want to get into the granularity of "well 1/7th of one dose (one day of milking) could cover 3 arrow heads" or anything really annoying like that.

A larger snake will provide doses faster, if it becomes relevant I'll make something up.

Of course on the tools. You definitely need them, I just forgot they were called artisan's tools.

Mr. X
2011-09-28, 08:21 AM
Ok, that makes sense. I'll buy it.

I believe the rest should be fixed, so Fredric's ready to go.

His icon's great, btw, thanks.

EDIT:

For the party, I got a set of basic Weaponsmithing tools. Masterwork tools would help alot if someone is willing to spend the 55gp on them, but at least I won't be taking a penalty.

#Raptor
2011-09-28, 12:31 PM
Hmm... so its 1 dose per week for a tiny viper.
Would one be able to squeeze out more poison from a small viper?
Any extra if u kill the snake in the process?

I was thinking... summon monster I, fiendish small viper :smallsmile:

jvluso
2011-09-28, 12:44 PM
2. On the feat/PrC, I think that PrC is going to have to stay off limits. A lot of the benefits are tied to having access to the guild's library or resources, something you will not have. I hate refluffing.

That's unfortunate. Pure sorcerer is not a good idea due to a lack of class features, and I don't want to lose caster levels. What to do before qualifying for archmage... Intantatar (PGtF) maybe? Assuming that's OK, he has been updated.

Archwizard
2011-09-28, 01:38 PM
Hmm... so its 1 dose per week for a tiny viper.
Would one be able to squeeze out more poison from a small viper?
Any extra if u kill the snake in the process?

I was thinking... summon monster I, fiendish small viper :smallsmile:

Yeah no, abusive horsecrap need not apply ;p

Archwizard
2011-09-28, 01:49 PM
That's unfortunate. Pure sorcerer is not a good idea due to a lack of class features, and I don't want to lose caster levels. What to do before qualifying for archmage... Intantatar (PGtF) maybe? Assuming that's OK, he has been updated.

Intanatnatnatatntnaar is fine, despite being one of the goofiest class names I've seen.

#Raptor
2011-09-28, 05:44 PM
Worth a try... :smalltongue:
So, shall we figure out stuff like marching order / night shifts now? Ya know, so we can start as soon as possible.

As for the Artisans Tools.. I can buy the regular kit. Or contribute 11,85 gp towards the Masterwork Artisans Tools.

Sucrose
2011-09-28, 07:29 PM
Worth a try... :smalltongue:
So, shall we figure out stuff like marching order / night shifts now? Ya know, so we can start as soon as possible.

As for the Artisans Tools.. I can buy the regular kit. Or contribute 11,85 gp towards the Masterwork Artisans Tools.

Should probably work out a standard Door Policy as well, I think.

For marching order, I'd say Elia skulking ahead, followed by Kulkav (since he has much HP and a fast movement speed to catch up), followed by Versel and ?? (since they're the squishiest, numerically, I think), then the very fragile but somewhat guarded Frederic, and finally guarded in the rear by Phasma.

For night shifts, I'd say that first shift should go to Elia, second to Kulkav, and third to the spellcasters, who each take one hour off during their shift to prepare spells (or, in the case of the sorcerers, mess around until their time is up.). That way, everyone gets eight hours of rest, and we still have 12 hours each day to explore.

For Door Policy, I'd suggest
1.) Everyone spreads out
2.) Elia checks the door for traps, and disarms, if applicable
3.) Kulkav uses his tower shield for full cover, then opens the door, as he has the best odds to survive any leftover traps, at least at low level. In addition, his bulk and tower shield should make it very difficult for any dangerous foe within to get off a surprise attack at our group.

In particularly trap-heavy areas, perhaps we could have 1A) Spellcasters use Detect Magic to discern the presence of any possible magical traps.

Zerter
2011-09-28, 07:35 PM
I don't mind going first with everything, just don't expect me to tank once battle has actually started.

Sucrose
2011-09-28, 07:42 PM
I don't mind going first with everything, just don't expect me to tank once battle has actually started.

Oh, certainly not. Wouldn't want you horning in on Kulkav's schtick.:smalltongue:

Mr. X
2011-09-28, 07:44 PM
Marching order and sleep schedual sound good.

I've got 10gp towards masterwork tools, giving us a total of
21,85 against 55. Any other takers? Our operators are standing by to take your generous donations ;-)

Sucrose
2011-09-28, 08:04 PM
Me and my 3hp will come in 2nd.

Come in second where? In the door policy?

Mr. X
2011-09-28, 08:10 PM
Yeah, sorry I missed the big post when I wrote that. Fixed it above.

#Raptor
2011-09-29, 12:34 PM
3 hp? Wow, even Taribo isn't that squishy at a healthy 5 hp.
Perhaps we better invest into some blessed bandages instead of upgrading the Artisans Tools to masterwork?

Blessed bandages are from the Magic Item Compendium, page 152.
They let you auto-stabilize a dying party member, no need to make a roll, no chance to fail the check.
If we ever have someone at -9 health we may be very happy that we have them... and that could happen pretty quickly considering how squishy we all are.

@Sucrose: My Sorcerer's name is Taribo... and I agree about the marching order/sleep order/door check routine. Taribo has Detect Magic, so he could easily do the magical trap scanning.

Mr. X
2011-09-29, 01:01 PM
Heh, yeah... If I live to lv3, it won't be so bad. I've got a False Life spell that will give me an additional 1d10+1/lv hp... Still, you might not be wrong about the blessed bandages...

But that +2 crafting bonus will really help me make fancier weapons sooner for the party, so it's sort of an arguable point...

I'll go with whatever the rest of you think.

On a side note, I've got Detect Magic as well if we feel we need it more than once.

@Archwizard:

Is there any method for a wizard to write their own spells, or deduce how to cast spells they've witnessed? Or is that what's covered by the auto gaining of spells at lv up?

Archwizard
2011-09-29, 02:19 PM
@Archwizard:

Is there any method for a wizard to write their own spells, or deduce how to cast spells they've witnessed? Or is that what's covered by the auto gaining of spells at lv up?

I'm a little confused by this question. You don't auto-gain spells in this (that was totally spelled out in the 16). As to writing spells you witness or anything like that: nope. I can see allowing a bonus to copying scrolls you successfully seen cast.

#Raptor
2011-09-29, 03:02 PM
Could we sorcerers help with filling up the spellbook? I know we're spontaneous casters and we don't have a spellbook, but we do know to write. :smalltongue:

I know that won't be of much use as long as we are still alive... but any of us may bite the bullet at any time and then we may be glad we at least still have those spells in the spellbook.
And if Mr.X wont find any new spells at some level then at least he can cast the spells he got from us.

Additionally/Alternatively maybe u could allow this feat?: http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/featbox.pl?feat=Collegiate_Wizard
I remember using this for a Wizard in a forest-based adventure (no "ye olde magic shop" anywhere close).
Tho u don't seem too fond of auto-gaining spells in general for wiz... like the idea of gaining spells by scavenging/paper chase better, right? :smallwink:

Mr. X
2011-09-29, 03:38 PM
Yeah, I knew I won't auto-gain spells (part of the the reason I wanted to play a wizard :-D). It was more a conceptual question about if creating new spells was possible.

Scorcerers can probably write down their spells if they take the Scribe Scroll feat, which Wizards get for free...

Archwizard
2011-09-29, 04:16 PM
Could we sorcerers help with filling up the spellbook? I know we're spontaneous casters and we don't have a spellbook, but we do know to write. :smalltongue:

I know that won't be of much use as long as we are still alive... but any of us may bite the bullet at any time and then we may be glad we at least still have those spells in the spellbook.
And if Mr.X wont find any new spells at some level then at least he can cast the spells he got from us.

Additionally/Alternatively maybe u could allow this feat?: http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/featbox.pl?feat=Collegiate_Wizard
I remember using this for a Wizard in a forest-based adventure (no "ye olde magic shop" anywhere close).
Tho u don't seem too fond of auto-gaining spells in general for wiz... like the idea of gaining spells by scavenging/paper chase better, right? :smallwink:

Sorcerers can only help by scribing scrolls. Of course, that means if you take that feat I bet the wizards would be your BESTEST FRIENDS [email protected]!

On Collegiate Wizard, nopers. I already gave a generous boost to starting spells.

And you're right, as a DM I don't. Wizards are powerful enough as it is. I've been making notes on spells to ban, alter, etc for future games. Clerics are going to get massively shanked too.

Yeah, I knew I won't auto-gain spells (part of the the reason I wanted to play a wizard :-D). It was more a conceptual question about if creating new spells was possible.

Scorcerers can probably write down their spells if they take the Scribe Scroll feat, which Wizards get for free...

As the man notes here :smallbiggrin:.

This probably won't get started until this weekend.

Mr. X
2011-09-29, 04:25 PM
Yeah, that's pretty reasonable.

And if you sorcerers take Scribe Scroll, I totally WILL be your bestest friend ever!

#Raptor
2011-09-29, 05:01 PM
:smalleek:

Errr, uuuh, eeehm... I heard jvluso totally wanted to take that feat for his sorcerer! [roll0]

*Sneaks away* [roll1] :smallbiggrin:

jvluso
2011-09-29, 08:21 PM
There's an easier way than that. According to the MIC, page 232, "Two or more characters can work together to create a magic item with each person supplying some of the prerequisites. The XP cost must be supplied by the person supplying the item creation feat." So, Fredric could supply the Item creation feat (scribe scroll) and the Sorcerers can provide the other prerequisites (being able to cast the spell.)

Past level 2 spells, there will be complete overlap between our spells (other than the ones we find,) and I can't guarantee all the spells Versel takes will be wizard spells (RoTD has some nice Sorc only spells,) but I could coordinate with Taribo to try to get Fredric at least one of his highest level spell at all times. Also, metamagic feats will be helpful.

Also Versel has ~90 gp left which he could spend on various group tools or bandages, or other things which might come up. (I'm not sure what the status is on the mwk artisan's tools) We should probably try to share any tools which we are not using in combat, rather than having multiple sets of artisan's tools.

Mr. X
2011-09-29, 10:45 PM
Heh, you know for all the crafting Fredric's planning, he's likely gonna fall quite dramatically behind on the exp. gauge. :-D

Meta-magic is definitely gonna be a big part of his build, as his low intelligence will hold him back on higher level spells... Though he'll still get the spell slots.

For masterwork tools, I agree, we should pool for party implements, rather than multiple individual sets... (though I don't know if anyone besides me is looking in that direction). At the moment, we've got 21,85gp between Raptor and I.

Enchanting equipment requires Masterwork Equipment, and crafting masterwork components has a DC of 20. (and costs a boatload of gold, but we'll deal with that later.). So the +2 bonus provided by masterwork tools will be a big step towards making that action possible (I'll be at +9 by 2nd level.)

And if we start finding masterwork and enchanted gear before I can make it, I'll just scream and claim that my stuff is better. :-)

#Raptor
2011-09-30, 09:52 AM
Nice, didn't know about that rule. It'll also greatly increase the number of things u can craft, Mr.X.

Past level 2 spells, there will be complete overlap between our spells (other than the ones we find,) and I can't guarantee all the spells Versel takes will be wizard spells (RoTD has some nice Sorc only spells,) but I could coordinate with Taribo to try to get Fredric at least one of his highest level spell at all times. Also, metamagic feats will be helpful.
Mmmh, only problem is he'll be 1 spell level ahead every secound level because of the faster spell progression for wiz. But yeah, lets cooperate on this.
Ps: Sorcerer-only spells... Wings of Flurry?
A quite nice spell indeed. ^^ :smallbiggrin:

Also Versel has ~90 gp left which he could spend on various group tools or bandages, or other things which might come up. (I'm not sure what the status is on the mwk artisan's tools) We should probably try to share any tools which we are not using in combat, rather than having multiple sets of artisan's tools.
We are 33,15 gp short for the shared masterwork artisan's tools... and well, blessed bandages are always great to have. I'm also not too much of a fan of one-use items, but in this case one use can save a character.

Mr. X
2011-09-30, 11:11 PM
Edit to Fredric: swapped 1 rank Heal(cross-class) for 2 ranks Craft(Weaponsmithing) (class-skill).

This choice is open to argument from the party.

I'll have a +2 bonus to heal checks(+4 with the healing kit), rather than +3, in exchange for +7 to trained craft(Weaponsmithing) checks... As oppose to remaining untrained untill next level. Also, if we get the masterwork tools, I'll be at +9, and might be lucky enough to get us some masterwork weapons right off the bat.

Thoughts?

Archwizard
2011-10-01, 04:41 AM
Don't forget: You have to have a forge to make weapons/armor. A makeshift forge is fine for making regular weapons/armor, but will not be able to produce masterwork quality items.

You can make a real forge with Profession (Blacksmith).

Of course, that's a time consuming and noisy process.

#Raptor
2011-10-01, 11:51 AM
Hmm.
This would also mean that we would always have to go back to the forge.
Constantly moving back to the forge would also mean that this route would become devoid of anything eatable quickly.
Later we'll be able to magically produce food and we'd Teleport to the forge anyways.

Maybe we could bring the forge along with us on a floating disk?

PS: If we don't start today... that'll be alright with me. Got Oktoberfest-hangover. :smallsigh:

Mr. X
2011-10-01, 12:07 PM
Oh, curses... I had overlooked that...

Bag of holding anyone?

I'll take a point in the profession, just in case. What would the dc to craft a forge be? could it be moved at all? Would the use of alchemical powders and things to help the fire burn hotter allow it to be condensed? (I'd have to make them, of course)
Perhaps could such powders, applied to a campfire with stones stacked around it prove sufficient...? (that one's a stretch, I know)

Archwizard
2011-10-01, 12:13 PM
Hmm.
This would also mean that we would always have to go back to the forge.
Constantly moving back to the forge would also mean that this route would become devoid of anything eatable quickly.
Later we'll be able to magically produce food and we'd Teleport to the forge anyways.

Maybe we could bring the forge along with us on a floating disk?

PS: If we don't start today... that'll be alright with me. Got Oktoberfest-hangover. :smallsigh:

While viable for this game, can you guess what other spells are on my "ban-in-the-future" list?

Archwizard
2011-10-01, 12:40 PM
Oh, curses... I had overlooked that...

Bag of holding anyone?

I'll take a point in the profession, just in case. What would the dc to craft a forge be? could it be moved at all? Would the use of alchemical powders and things to help the fire burn hotter allow it to be condensed? (I'd have to make them, of course)
Perhaps could such powders, applied to a campfire with stones stacked around it prove sufficient...? (that one's a stretch, I know)

DC to craft, hrm.

Well here. The forge is basically two pieces: The furnace to heat metal to the point where it is malleable and the anvil upon which shaping and working is done.

The furnace would weigh around 200 lbs. The anvil would weigh around 300 lbs. As long as you can move the weight, it's mobile. Each piece you wish to make takes a DC 25 Craft (Weaponsmithing) or (Armorer). The check can't be done without Profession (Blacksmithing) as a skill, representing the knowledge of how a furnace and anvil are designed, maintained, etc. If you have 5 ranks in the Profession skill, you get a +2 synergy bonus to Craft the furnace/anvil.

Obviously, you also have to have sufficient raw materials to build these items.
The anvil requires steel. Rusty steel you find counts 50% of the found weight towards the required materials.
The furnace requires 150 lbs of stone and 50 lbs of steel.

Oh, by the way, you can definitely use Tenser's Floating Disk to move these items so long as a) you can lift the items onto it, and b) the disk is strong enough to hold 500 lbs.

Mr. X
2011-10-01, 01:42 PM
Sounds good.

Ok, last minute updateds:

Took 1 rank in profession(blacksmith), 1 rank in craft(weaponsmith), lost 1 rank in Heal.

Swapped lv1 spell Alarm for lv1 spell Floating Disk.

Sucrose
2011-10-01, 03:49 PM
Well, moving the forge and anvil can be done with Kulkav. Best he can do for the crafting is Aid Another, though, I think.

Archwizard
2011-10-01, 04:48 PM
They knew they dragged the Goliath Barbarian around for something....

Mr. X
2011-10-01, 07:59 PM
Seriously.

@ Sucrose:

You know, it wasn't untill the OOC thread that I knew that any of us WEREN'T casters... Good to have you abroad :-D.

Sucrose
2011-10-01, 09:53 PM
Seriously.

@ Sucrose:

You know, it wasn't untill the OOC thread that I knew that any of us WEREN'T casters... Good to have you abroad :-D.

My pleasure.:smalltongue:

#Raptor
2011-10-02, 01:36 PM
Okay... I suppose that fixes the problem of Forge Transportation. Tensers floating disk would only have become useful at level 5 and above anyways (then it can carry 500 lbs for 5 hours -> extended: 10 hours).

So... I've spent every piece of gold, silver and copper. I assume Versel will bring along the blessed bandages.
We got our sleeping, marching and door opening order. Personally, I'm ready to start.

Archwizard
2011-10-02, 01:42 PM
I'll be getting the IC up soon, so any final tweaks should be done in the next hour or so I would say.

Mr. X
2011-10-02, 02:40 PM
If Versel is also willing to put in for the masterwork tools, that'd be great too.

Otherwise, I'm ready to go.

jvluso
2011-10-02, 02:49 PM
Finished purchases, including chipping in for masterwork tools, and Versel is ready to go.

Archwizard
2011-10-02, 04:24 PM
Okay, IC is up (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217427)!

I need to know everyone's low-light vision, darkvision, light source status.

Mr. X
2011-10-02, 04:53 PM
Fredric shall rely on the other's Everburning Torches, and cast Light if it is needed.

Unless otherwise noted, his prepared spells are:

Lv0: Light, Flare, Detect Magic, Mage Hand
Lv1: Mage Armor, Magic Weapon.

Archwizard
2011-10-02, 04:57 PM
Sounds good. I'm building the WLD map in MapTools. This could take a while....

Archwizard
2011-10-02, 06:04 PM
Oh that reminds me, please put all cruncharific/OOC stuff behind spoilers.

jvluso
2011-10-02, 06:36 PM
Versel has low light vision, but will rely on others' torches to use it.

#Raptor
2011-10-02, 07:45 PM
As mentioned in the IC, Taribo Has low light vision and a everburning torch.
Also got dancing lights as a sla 1/day, 2 sunrods, 5 torches.

Sucrose
2011-10-02, 09:29 PM
Kulkav has only normal vision, but possesses an everburning torch.

#Raptor
2011-10-03, 10:25 AM
Hmm, I just noticed something... vikingofdoom, the player of our Spirit Shaman Phasma has not been active in the last 6 days.
Check it for urself: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=56713

I suppose we should not wait for him to post in the IC thread... and perhaps we should recruit a new divine caster.

Archwizard
2011-10-03, 01:27 PM
Well that's a bummer.

Here's what I have for party data:
http://bfb.bogleg.org/~whitewolf/wld_group2_data.png

I'll go see if I can find a divine character.

Archwizard
2011-10-03, 09:40 PM
Gimme a bit to review IC and respond, but after that I'm going to bed.

Archwizard
2011-10-04, 07:07 PM
Okay, so I've updated the IC OP with a current map. The URL for the map will never change for those that like using the URL directly rather than worry about refreshing the thread.

#Raptor
2011-10-04, 07:27 PM
Ooooh, pretty... I like. Thanks! :smallsmile: Never played in a PBP game with a actual map before.

Archwizard
2011-10-06, 08:19 PM
I updated the IC OP with the sleep shifts, door policy, and marching order.

I got a little confused on the sleep shifts, so if you guys could clear that up I would appreciate it.

Edit: Oh and re: IC, I refer Zerter (and anyone else) to the 16:

Skills I will roll:
Appraise
Bluff
Disguise
Forgery
Perception
Search (when take 20 doesn't apply)
Sense Motive
Stealth
Use Rope (if you go to tie up an enemy)

This is definitely one of the things I believe in. Just let me know you want to use those skills.

Zerter
2011-10-07, 03:42 AM
Ow, okay. Feel free to disregard my latest rolls and do them yourself :smallsmile:.

Archwizard
2011-10-07, 07:04 AM
No worries, nothing to find in this room anyway.

ORione
2011-10-11, 03:41 PM
Hello. So, I'll be your new divine spellcaster. I've created a cleric of Boccob.

Where do I put my character sheet?

Archwizard
2011-10-11, 03:58 PM
Here is fine.

ORione
2011-10-11, 08:42 PM
Okay.

http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=12019

Edit: I claim magenta as my speech color.

Archwizard
2011-10-11, 10:03 PM
Okay, so sheet review for Darmok (where's Jalad?):

Action Points?
Craft requires a specific focus.
Remember it's Stealth, not just Hide.
Since Clerics get access to all spells all the time, there's no need to list available spells. Just list spells you actually have memorized.

I think that's it.

ORione
2011-10-11, 10:14 PM
Okay, so sheet review for Darmok (where's Jalad?):

That's Darmok's last name.

Action Points?
Craft requires a specific focus.
Remember it's Stealth, not just Hide.
Since Clerics get access to all spells all the time, there's no need to list available spells. Just list spells you actually have memorized.

I think that's it.

1. I don't know. I thought it was something I wasn't familiar with, so I looked up what it is. I'm relieved that we aren't using them, because I don't understand what they are.
2. Oh, I forgot to put that in. I'll change that. It's Alchemy.
3. Yep. I put it under Hide so that it will show the armor check penalty. (I'm guessing Stealth has an armor check penalty - Hide and Move Silently both do.
4. Okay. (Note: Disguise Self is my domain spell).

Archwizard
2011-10-11, 10:54 PM
Oh btw here's the token I made for Darmok:

http://bfb.bogleg.org/~whitewolf/Darmok%20Pic.png

Archwizard
2011-10-13, 06:06 AM
Re: IC/Fredric

If the orcs ignored the flask, how would they catch it? Also, next time, you need to tell me it's acid beforehand. After all, your original post (#55) in no way indicated it was anything other than alcohol, so if I had decided to have an orc catch and drink it, I would have had to then go back and retcon to deal with the reveal of the flask being full of acid.

Also, you're currently 70' from the closest orc, the maximum thrown range for an acid flask (or any thrown weapon) is 50'. Your post (#52) only said "Fredric steps up" and post #55 didn't give any movement.

Lastly, any reason for this action other than being a sadistic ass? That's not really something I want in my game. Being evil, scheming, whatever is fine. Trying to trick creatures into drinking acid for the jollies? Not cool.

#Raptor
2011-10-13, 12:08 PM
Drinking acid? Among dem orc boyz dat is da weak shtuff.
Frederic was probably just inviting them to a drinking game... who can drink the most acid ...without burping?

J/K... well ya, that was a bit crass. I liked that whole stuff about the village tho, very amusing.
Anyways, if the orcs start going into melee with Frederic because of the acid, Taribo will probably colorspray the whole lot... that way we can conveniently tie up the orcs everyone who still wants to cause trouble without much resistance. :smallbiggrin:

Mr. X
2011-10-13, 05:39 PM
Ahh, I appologize for the misunderstanding, I had presumed that once we started conversing we had moved withing range to speak... 10-15ft apart or so. That was my mistake, sorry.

As for the flask, I also, mistakedly, presumed that since the only flasks I have noted on my sheet were either acid or Alchemist's fire, that you would be aware of it's volatility. Again, that was my mistake, for which I appologize.

As for attempting to trick the orcs into drinking acid, it was more to get a leg up on what Fredric feels to be the ultimate outcome of the encounter.

They are sitting alone in a cave, apparently without association to a group. If they were merely travelers sheltering, they would certainly be suspicious of us, but also likely willing to speak and perhaps trade supplies and information.

As they are giving us the stone wall treatment, he must presume they have some reason to want us gone. Perhaps they are bandits, whom we've happened upon. They realize they cannot take us in a straight fight, and want us to go away that thy might continue to persue weaker passerby... Perhaps indeed they are part of a clan, and want us to leave that they might sound the alarm... Perhaps they want us to go so that they can follow us to a more ideal point of ambush...

In any case, Fredric feels that we shall come into direct conflict with them sooner or later, and now, with one of them choking on acid, shall likely produce the best results.

Perhaps they are just peaceful orcs, passing the time... But since they won't talk to us, it would be foolish to presume as much. Better to kill them and close the avenue. (that's the Evil side)

It was not my intent simply to be an evil ****, and I do apologize for coming off that way. (though, admittedly, in-character he does come off that way, because he acted before discussing the issue.)

As it stands, we are to far for him to have tossed the flask, and as such I cannot take the action, and again I apologize for that mistake on my part.

Archwizard
2011-10-14, 08:22 PM
Ahh, I appologize for the misunderstanding, I had presumed that once we started conversing we had moved withing range to speak... 10-15ft apart or so. That was my mistake, sorry.

Yeah no, unless people say they are moving somewhere, they stay put. After all, I think people would be less than pleased if I assumed they moved somewhere and then had monsters charge and surround them, or a trap spring and nail them, etc.

As for the flask, I also, mistakedly, presumed that since the only flasks I have noted on my sheet were either acid or Alchemist's fire, that you would be aware of it's volatility. Again, that was my mistake, for which I apologize.

Actually not an unreasonable assumption, but again I believe it's preferable for me to not make assumptions that would put the party in harm's way and use up party resources.

As for attempting to trick the orcs into drinking acid, it was more to get a leg up on what Fredric feels to be the ultimate outcome of the encounter.

They are sitting alone in a cave, apparently without association to a group. If they were merely travelers sheltering, they would certainly be suspicious of us, but also likely willing to speak and perhaps trade supplies and information.

As they are giving us the stone wall treatment, he must presume they have some reason to want us gone. Perhaps they are bandits, whom we've happened upon. They realize they cannot take us in a straight fight, and want us to go away that thy might continue to persue weaker passerby... Perhaps indeed they are part of a clan, and want us to leave that they might sound the alarm... Perhaps they want us to go so that they can follow us to a more ideal point of ambush...

In any case, Fredric feels that we shall come into direct conflict with them sooner or later, and now, with one of them choking on acid, shall likely produce the best results.

Perhaps they are just peaceful orcs, passing the time... But since they won't talk to us, it would be foolish to presume as much. Better to kill them and close the avenue. (that's the Evil side)

It was not my intent simply to be an evil ****, and I do apologize for coming off that way. (though, admittedly, in-character he does come off that way, because he acted before discussing the issue.)

As it stands, we are to far for him to have tossed the flask, and as such I cannot take the action, and again I apologize for that mistake on my part.

As to the rest, that's a very cynical view. And while I certainly have no issue with the evil aspect of it, it's most definitely not lawful (or, if preemptively feeding people acid is lawful, I know where I don't want to live!).

That said, I can buy the rationale. I really just wanted to make sure there was a rationale, since none was presented at the time of the action.

Archwizard
2011-10-14, 08:30 PM
re: IC/Darmok,

You're going to search a wall where you know what's on the other side for secret doors :smallconfused:?

Mr. X
2011-10-14, 09:00 PM
That's all perfectly fair.

As to the Lawful aspect, I feel that Evil people likely follow different laws than everyone else... But that's a philosophical discussion for for later.

How would you like to remedy the current situation?

Shall I remove the action to toss the flask, or shall move forward and take the aforementioned action?

ORione
2011-10-14, 09:21 PM
re: IC/Darmok,

You're going to search a wall where you know what's on the other side for secret doors :smallconfused:?

We know what's on the other side of that wall? Huh. I'm going to check anyway.

#Raptor
2011-10-15, 04:54 PM
Mmmh, although I suppose it is highly unlikely.... there could very well be something inside the wall. :smallsmile:

Btw concerning the whole drinking acid thing... I just remembered something, the orc barbarian prestige class "Eye of Gruumsh" from Complete Warrior gets the ability to spit stomach acid at their enemies.
So although I was joking about the orc acid drinking games, It seems like orcs are indeed somewhat resistant to acid, although theres no official ruling on that.
Just plz get the whole thing resolved so we can move on.

Sucrose
2011-10-16, 11:10 AM
Indeed; if we must fight then we must, but I'd like to see the situation with the oddly silent orcs resolved.

#Raptor
2011-10-17, 04:48 PM
Let me express my thoughts on the matter in graph form.

http://s1.directupload.net/images/111017/49kbmoo9.jpg

Mr. X
2011-10-17, 09:01 PM
I'm afraid perhaps archwizard and I have been waiting for each other...

As Fredric did not take a move action to get within range of the orcs to toss the flask, please ignore that action.

He will make is speach, wishing them good heath, and turn away, continuing south around the corner.

I am very very sorry for causing such an extended hold up in the game.

#Raptor
2011-10-18, 03:31 PM
Well, at least I learned how to make graphs. :smallbiggrin:
I really wonder whats gonna happen now... no acid, but a awful attempt at diplomacy... complete with a equally awful diplomacy roll.

Mr. X
2011-10-18, 03:43 PM
Yeah, they might decide to kill us on virtue of that alone. :-)

Sucrose
2011-10-18, 05:14 PM
Bah. Completely failing to respond to more respectful salutations has to lead to more simple ones. They'd be fools to not expect that.:smalltongue:

ORione
2011-10-23, 09:56 PM
Anybody home?

#Raptor
2011-10-23, 10:12 PM
Archwizard hasn't been on for 6 days by now. :smallsigh:
I hope its just his internet failing or him being away for holidays or something...

ORione
2011-10-23, 10:18 PM
Oh, okay. I home he isn't on vacation; if he was, he should have told us. I suppose we'll wait for him to come back.

#Raptor
2011-10-28, 02:45 PM
I've sent him an Email... hes been gone for 10 days by now.
Imho if he won't respond within the next 4 days (= a total of 14 days of inactivity, most people don't have longer vacations than 2 weeks) we can consider him gone from from the OOTS boards.

In that case we'll have to see what to do... Though one thing we can do now is gather who's still interested in continuing this game. So... who still wants to play? ^^ *raises hand*

ORione
2011-10-28, 05:57 PM
I would like to keep playing if we can.

Mr. X
2011-10-29, 01:47 AM
I am certainly in.

Does anyone else possess this particular module? If not, we're early enough on for it to morph into something else is someone cares to DM.

#Raptor
2011-10-29, 06:46 AM
I think finding someone who can acquire (or already has) the adventure will be the least of our problems, that part should be easy enough.

The bigger problem will probably be finding someone who's actually willing to DM.

But before we begin looking around personally I'd say lets wait another 3 days so the 14 days of inactivity (=normal vacation length) are full.

ORione
2011-10-31, 10:47 PM
I would like to keep playing if we can.

Scratch that. If you get the game going again, give bobthe6th (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=61308) or Kansaschaser (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=55091) a PM. They both expressed interest in being your divine caster, but i beat them to the punch.

#Raptor
2011-11-01, 07:35 PM
Aaah, didn't get to search for the new DM today (pretty busy day), but got news from our rogue player and our new divine caster (Kansaschaser).

I'll try to find the time for that tomorrow... but I know its gonna be a busy day so it might take me until Thursday. Just so u know.
I'll send PM's to everyone anyways when I found us a new DM... if it turns out to take very long, I'll see, maybe I can jump in as DM until we found someone else. Only thing is I'm a total noob at DMing, so I'd rather not. :smalltongue:

Mr. X
2011-11-02, 10:54 AM
I could DM if you would rather not. I'll have to learn the map tool here, but I have run a number of games... So if you prefer...

Really though, trial by fire is the best way to learn :-).

#Raptor
2011-11-02, 11:42 AM
Tbh, I'd prefer that... I only play PBP games, and although I've played in quite a few games, none of those made it very far. So I actually don't have that much experience at all... character creation is probably my biggest strength as a player.

So, do you want to take over right away or would you prefer if I'd first look around if someone else wants to DM for us?
Despite what I thought, I'd actually have the time for that today.

Mr. X
2011-11-02, 06:55 PM
Either way is fine. I don't own this module, so I'd have to just come up with somewhere to go frow where we're at, unless someone has it and can send me the file.

I have no problem just running with it, though, if everyone else is ok with that.

Sucrose
2011-11-13, 12:22 PM
Suppose that would be fine by me.

Mr. X
2011-11-13, 03:36 PM
Also, if anyone knows of a map tool, that'd be helpful too... I don't know what archwizard was using, and don't actually have a method of my own.

I'm ok with just using measurements and descriptions, if that's ok for everyone. It's definitely not as clean cut as a map, but I can deal with it if everyone else can.

Ex:

The party enters the cavernous temple. Massive columns and pillars support the ceiling high above, stretching away before them to the alter.

The temple is 60ft wide, and 180feet long. The pillars stand 10feet in, off the walls, and are spaced at 15ft intervals, stopping just before the alter.

#Raptor
2011-11-13, 04:29 PM
I think I found the one Archwizard was using:
http://www.rptools.net/index.php?page=tools

Mr. X
2011-11-14, 11:24 AM
Sweet! I'll figure that out, and probably post to the IC thread tonight, if everybody's here!

One other question for the group, what would you like to do with Fredric (my character)? As DM, I don't typically play a character, but if you guys want to keep him around as an extra punch, that's fine. He probably will just follow you guys around. Or, we can lose him entirely.

Thoughts?

Also, just as another note, I really enjoy dealing with 'out if the box' thinking. So if (when dealing with some situation) you have some bizarre idea for a solution, hit me with it. It may not work, but I'll never just shut you down. :-)

#Raptor
2011-11-14, 11:56 AM
Awesome :smallsmile:
I'll contact Zerter (Rogue) and Kansaschaser (our new divine caster) again and give them a status update.

I certainly wouldn't mind if Frederic would stay with the party... also, then we didn't make all those how-to-craft-magic-items plans for nothing. ^^

jvluso
2011-11-14, 12:18 PM
I'm still here, just quiet.

Kansaschaser
2011-11-14, 04:55 PM
Sweet. I can make a basic Cleric if everyone wants. I can also do a Favored Soul or Spirit Shaman if that's more to everyone's flavor. Anyone have a vote for their favorite?

Sucrose
2011-11-14, 06:25 PM
Sweet. I can make a basic Cleric if everyone wants. I can also do a Favored Soul or Spirit Shaman if that's more to everyone's flavor. Anyone have a vote for their favorite?

I've always liked the flavor of the Spirit Shaman, myself, but you can go with whatever most interests you.:smallsmile:

Mr. X
2011-11-15, 12:01 AM
Well.... Curses....

I am proving unable to upload images from my computer

(Not to mention being nowhere near Archwizard's equal with the mapping tool...)

... Uhm... Help?

EDIT: I've PM'ed the moderator for help getting maps posted. In the mean time, I've posted to the IC thread, so hopefully we can get moving.

Kansaschaser, welcome aboard! Just post a character sheet here when you've got it finished. But go ahead and join in the IC as soon as you feel like you've got something to say.

#Raptor
2011-11-23, 10:28 AM
I've re-read this thread... Archwizard re-created the whole World's Largest Dungeon by hand in the mapping tool. Thats insane. :smalleek:
No surprise he disappeared... he played and dmed in about 12 games and made gigantic maps himself in the mapping tool. Burnout!

Btw, am I the only one who noticed that the game is moving on in our IC thread? :smallconfused:

Mr. X
2011-11-26, 02:04 PM
For all who are still here, I have gotten my maps up and ready to go, if there is still interest in continuing.

The IC thread has moved on a little, so feel free to chime in if you want to do something.

(though Raptor, I get the impression it may just be you and me now. I'm willing to press on, if you are.)

Sucrose
2011-11-27, 11:18 AM
Still here; been working on Thanksgiving stuff and keeping up with my new job. I apologize for my silence nonetheless.

#Raptor
2011-11-27, 12:29 PM
Aah, alright... well, lets continue. :smallsmile:

/E: Wow those rolls failed hard... anyone else try?

Mr. X
2011-11-27, 03:27 PM
No worries, Sucrose. Tis' the season.

Onward and downward then :-D

#Raptor
2011-12-02, 10:07 AM
I guess we gonna need a divine caster soon.
Kansaschaser wanted to roll one up, but haven't heard from him in a while and he hasn't been on since the last 3 days... looks like we've lost another divine caster. We're going through those quick, lol... shall we look for another?

Mr. X
2011-12-02, 06:27 PM
I think at this point we should just press on, rather than putting the game on hold again while we wait for another player.

Perhaps multi-classing to fill in party gaps will be a solution...

At lv up, Fredric can reasonably take a level or two of Cleric without damaging his concept. If either of you wanted to add on a smidgen of Rogue to your repetoir, we'd be in good shape.

Or we could just live with the class gaps, and that'll be fairly badass too.

Thoughts?

Zerter
2011-12-02, 06:32 PM
I'm withdrawing from this. I'm assuming my absence said enough, but I figured I'd still reply. I wish you all the best!

Mr. X
2011-12-02, 07:10 PM
Sorry to lose you. We wish all the best to you as well.

#Raptor
2011-12-03, 10:34 AM
Well, at least u let us know. ^^ bb.

Hmm, well... I think we are both equally ill-suited to rogue-multiclassing.
Neither of us has good int and dex, if Kulkav would multiclass he'd get nothing out of the sneak attack dice (no flanking partner), if Taribo does make use of the sneak attack he'd have to go into melee = high chance of death due to abysmally low hitpoints (already risky for regular rogue, even more so for a Arcane Rogue)... only thing I could do is multiclass into some Arcane Rogue class, though I'd loose a whole bunch of caster levels in the progress.

Perhaps we could just recruit 2 new folks while we continue pushing into the dungeon? Personally I don't think we need to wait for any new recruits, they can just jump in when their characters are ready.
Also, if any of us ever dies or becomes unconscious or disabled somehow, it'd be better to be a party of 5 instead of just 3 (not to mention 2 out of 3 being squishy).

Sucrose
2011-12-03, 01:18 PM
I'm with #Raptor on this one. Kulkav wouldn't make a good Rogue; closest would probably be just continuing to accumulate HP, maybe a couple of levels of Fighter or something to get heavy armor proficiency, and tanking the traps. And with the precedent of the orcs, finding a couple more characters in the dungeon wouldn't be all that implausible. So, may as well press on.

Mr. X
2011-12-03, 01:39 PM
That sounds reasonable enough.

I'll post a thread in Recruitment, and see if I can't drum up a few folks.

Off topic, I've been thinking about alchemical crafting issues (I was happy with how the forge issues turned out), and been a little hung up because all the rules revolve around materials in gold value... Which works fine in a city where you go out and buy your necessary materials, but in the dungeon it doesn't make much sense.

So, I propose to allow an Alchemy check,DC 20, to reduce any given item to it's essential elements, and transmute them into the elements you require, resulting in materials equal to that item's value in gold for use in alchemical crafting.

Failure would result in destruction of the item, with no result.

I realize this really only applies to Fredric, so if you guys don't like the idea, we'll just forget it, and go on with the base rules of spending gold.

Thoughts?

#Raptor
2011-12-03, 07:03 PM
Imho that makes sense. I think u also wouldn't need a complete alchemical laboratory to break down items to their essential components, as perhaps the forge could also be used for that.

Sucrose
2011-12-03, 09:01 PM
I have no problems with your ruling. Seems like a nice bit of flavor, and not unbalancing.:smallsmile:

Mr. X
2011-12-04, 08:50 PM
Sweet, we'll go with that then.

Also, looks like I've got another couple of players. They're working up sheets as we speak, and should be along shortly.

Oh, and my apologies to Versel, I didn't realize he was still with us.

Fates
2011-12-04, 10:37 PM
I've just been recruited! Here's my sheet. (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=350654)
Am I supposed to choose a color? If so, I choose Orange.
The class, by the way, is Shaman from Oriental Adventures.

Mr. X
2011-12-05, 12:35 AM
Welcome aboard.

Your sheet looks good. Would you like to encounter your new friends within the dungeon, or would you rather just add on as if you'd been there the whole time?

#Raptor
2011-12-05, 07:31 PM
Welcome MasterofSnakes! :smallwink:

@ all:

Heres our loot list again, updated:

1 great axe Carried by Kulkav as back up weapon I think
1 battle axe Carried by Taribo to cache later
1 hand axe Carried by Taribo to cache later
1 spiked shield Carried by Taribo to cache later
8 daggers (6 in the knife belt, 1 on each of the other two orks) Carried by Taribo? Sucrose I actually thought you wanted to grab a few as a backup throwing weapon for Kulkav?
1 set of thieves tools
21 days 16 days various rations, 5 Carried and claimed by Taribo
8 5 tinder-twigs , 3 Carried and claimed by Taribo
3 2 gallons water, 1 Carried and claimed by Taribo
3 flint and steel
3 studded leather chestplates Carried by Kulkav to cache later I think

Everybody grab whatever you want... arrr, it be booty time!

Mr. X
2011-12-05, 09:14 PM
Also, here's a link to the IC thread so you don't have to dig it up.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217427&page=3

Edit: Oh, and by the way, where are you holding all of your snakes? In a basket? ;-)

HempRope
2011-12-05, 11:26 PM
Hello everyone, I'd like to introduce Mestenduhar (Mesté) Fauthi Hanzaut (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=55042). I'll put her backstory on her sheet if you get her to tell you it.

Mr. X
2011-12-05, 11:31 PM
For HempRope and SlyJonney (when he get's here):

I'll start you both off in PMs, and then move to a separate IC thread I'll call "WLD:Rogue Duet" once you meet each other. We'll continue in there untill you encounter the main party... Which may or may not take very long.

HempRope
2011-12-06, 12:38 AM
Apparently not.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Mr. X
2011-12-06, 01:22 AM
Yeah, was gonna sick her on slyjonny and have you interupt, but he went off-line, so you get her to yourself.

Init:

If she goes first, she'll get her arrow off first.

to hit: [roll1]

Damage: [roll=]1d6[roll]

You dodge away, slipping your bow off your shoulder and knocking an arrow in a single fluid motion... Just fast enough... The force of the impact of Elaynia's arrow smashing into the cliff face showers you with dirt and gravel causing your shot to fly wide as she's already re-positioning, ducking behind a boulder for cover, she let's loose again.

to hit:[roll=]1d20+5
damage: 1d6

HempRope
2011-12-06, 01:27 AM
(It's her turn again. And I'd like to know if I hit, please.)

Mr. X
2011-12-06, 01:35 AM
sorry, here it is again:

to hit:[roll0]
damage: [roll1]

A lucky shot, as you flinch exactly the wrong direction right into a shot that should have missed...

The arrow slams you against the wall, punching clean through your mail and shoulder, pinning you to the wall.

You see the light of victory flash in her eyes for a moment...

And then it fades. She slides to the ground against her rock, and the light in her eyes goes out completely...

SlyJohnny
2011-12-06, 01:41 AM
Murgan, formerly of the Black Wheel thieves clan (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=83392) is totally unenthused to be here, but intends to get you all out of this damned dungeon, come hell or high water.

Mr. X
2011-12-06, 01:46 AM
Aha! There you are! PM me how you want to begin.

Sucrose
2011-12-06, 08:12 PM
Kulkav actually has Powerful Build, so he gets an extra +4 to the grapple check.

[roll0]
[roll1]

#Raptor
2011-12-07, 10:39 AM
Welcome HempRope and SlyJohnny!
I hope you'll meet us soon. ^^

Updated our player sheet.

{table=head] Player Name | Character Name | Race | Class | Color | Group
HempRope (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=1312) | Mestenduhar (Mesté) (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=55042) | Goblin | Scout | ? | Rogue group
SlyJohnny (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=5611) | Murgan (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=83392) | Dwarf | Rogue | ? | Rogue group
MasterofFates (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=64274) | Malthos the Seer (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=350654) | Human | Shaman | Orange | Main group
Sucrose (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=23460) | Kulkav Ilkanu (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=325130) | Goliath Dragonborn | Goliath Barbarian | Purple | Main group
Jvluso (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=47456) | Versel Vorastrix (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=330742) | Spellscale | Sorcerer | Gray | Main group
#Raptor (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=30795) | Taribo Woolsworth (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=11900) | Forest Gnome | Sorcerer | Blue | Main group
Mr. X (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=62801) | Fredric Chemoson (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=11904) | Human | Wizard (Transmuter) | Green | Main group [/table]

Mr. X
2011-12-09, 10:19 PM
In the effort to make combat a little less 'chess', and a little more 'dead fantasy', I propose to allow the following maneuvers:

Running Strike: As a full round action, you may move half your movement, take your attack, and then finish your movement.

This action provides a +2 circumstance bonus to AC(moving target), and a -5 Penaly to your attack roll(trying to shoot or swing while running is hard). Moving through threatened areas provokes Attacks of Oppertunity as normal. If you run passed several opponent's threatened areas, the bonus to AC only applies to the first one you pass. Feats that allow you to ignore Attacks of Oppertunity, likewise allow you to maintain the AC bonus against multiple melee opponents.

Slide: when encountering a slippery surface, you may attempt to run and slide across it.

You must begin your movement on solid ground. Run at least 5ft before hitting the slippery surface. Make a Balance Check:DC 15 to remain standing as you slide, 10 to lie down(i.e. Sliding into 3rd). If you succeed on your balance check, you slide your full movement distance before running out of momentum, at which point you must make another balance check to remain standing, or to stand up. If you reach the end of the slippery surface before your movement alotment is finished, you stop, but do not require a balance check to stand or remain standing.

You may not change direction while sliding.

This manuver may be used in conjunction with Running strike, at no additional penalty, though an additional balance check may be required for melee attacks.

Thoughts?

HempRope
2011-12-09, 11:04 PM
I play a Scout, I can't object to that first one. Though it makes the entire Dodge tree obsolete, since Spring Attack is the only thing that makes the other two worth taking.

Second one seems so specific as to be immaterial, though I would suggest that if you adopt it, you should bump the standing slide DC to 20 and require a Tumble check to stand from a prone slide.

Mr. X
2011-12-10, 03:52 AM
You're right, the Feats really do cover the first one pretty well... I was looking in the basic combat movement rules when I came up with it, because there was nothing along those lines there...

I would state, that if we allowed this action, all the benefits of the feat's would stack with this action, so as not to make them obsolete (you'd get the +2 AC for being a moving target in addition to whatever other AC bonuses your feats gave you, and the Feats would also remove the -5 penalty, allowing you to slip and slide through combat as never before :-)

The second one is very specific, I wrote it with the spell 'Grease' in mind... All the material there is regarding slippery surfaces only involves them slowing your movement speed, and/or falling down, and it seemed that it would be more awsome to add a mechanic which would allow more extreme movement into a situation that otherwise brings all movement to a screeching halt. Also, I left the DC checks fairly low, so that even unspecialized characters could attempt the actions with hope for success, while again, specialists would dominate the scene all over the place. :-)

(Both Fredric and Malthos I believe have access to Grease, and this would give us a reason to use it.)

Again thoughts?

Mr. X
2011-12-10, 03:54 AM
Oh, Also, for all your entertainment, I mapped out how that Rat battle went, as I envisioned it, since I was unable to produce maps while it was occuring.

Enjoy:

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/chaunceyparsons/Ratfight.png

Sucrose
2011-12-10, 03:59 PM
You're right, the Feats really do cover the first one pretty well... I was looking in the basic combat movement rules when I came up with it, because there was nothing along those lines there...

I would state, that if we allowed this action, all the benefits of the feat's would stack with this action, so as not to make them obsolete (you'd get the +2 AC for being a moving target in addition to whatever other AC bonuses your feats gave you, and the Feats would also remove the -5 penalty, allowing you to slip and slide through combat as never before :-)

The second one is very specific, I wrote it with the spell 'Grease' in mind... All the material there is regarding slippery surfaces only involves them slowing your movement speed, and/or falling down, and it seemed that it would be more awsome to add a mechanic which would allow more extreme movement into a situation that otherwise brings all movement to a screeching halt. Also, I left the DC checks fairly low, so that even unspecialized characters could attempt the actions with hope for success, while again, specialists would dominate the scene all over the place. :-)

(Both Fredric and Malthos I believe have access to Grease, and this would give us a reason to use it.)

Again thoughts?

Can't say that I object to the idea, though Grease is pretty solid even without these maneuvers (knocking an enemy Prone and killing its movement rate are pretty handy.)

As for the Spring Attack line, there's still Elusive Target to consider; I'll often take it instead of Spring Attack at the end of the feat chain (maybe get Spring Attack as well eventually, but that's neither here nor there.)

Mr. X
2011-12-11, 01:42 PM
Perhaps, with the running strike, if we scratch the AC bonus and reduce the penalty to -3, that will do the trick... (or perhaps leave the AC Bonus and Penalry, and make you move your 1st half and take your attack, stop, and then finish your movement at the top of your next turn as a free action, so enemies have a chance to hit you while you're out there. That might be getting overly complicated though...)

The main idea here, is to allow you all a little more flexibility and action hero-ism in your combat, without making you spent Feats for it, as those come by so rarely that a maneuver like 'Slide' is just never going to be worth the cost.

Or maybe the overall lesson is that if you want to do something fancy, and don't have the Feats to back it up, do it, and I'll assign what I feel to be appropriate modifiers. (I do want to encourage fancy badassedness :-)

Sucrose
2011-12-13, 09:51 PM
Just so all of you know, I won't be available frequently from Thursday until next Wednesday, at the least. My little brother is moving cross-country, so he needs some help, and I'll be away from home helping him out, and celebrating his graduation from college.:smallsmile:

Sucrose
2011-12-14, 12:37 AM
Not sure if mobs like this can be critted, but
[roll0]
[roll1]

Mr. X
2011-12-15, 01:07 PM
Sadly, no Crit on them... That's a pretty amazing roll though.

Don't worry about being away, with the christmas season coming I expect everyone's schedules to fill up and the game to slow down. We'll just press on with whomever's available, and you can check in whenever you've got time.

Have a nice trip.

HempRope
2011-12-15, 11:22 PM
Perhaps, with the running strike, if we scratch the AC bonus and reduce the penalty to -3, that will do the trick...I'd be inclined to scratch the AC bonus and keep the penalty at -5... but whatever you decide's OK, I think just come to a decision and make a ruling and we'll all abide by it. :smallsmile:

Or maybe the overall lesson is that if you want to do something fancy, and don't have the Feats to back it up, do it, and I'll assign what I feel to be appropriate modifiers. (I do want to encourage fancy badassedness :-)That's what I did in the one tabletop group I played & DMed in. I loved it. But with such a significant alteration as those rules for sliding, I think we kind of need to know now.

Mr. X
2011-12-17, 01:30 AM
I think I like the 'Running Strike' with the -5 penalty, and no AC bonus, so we'll take that as it stands.

For 'Slide' how does this sound: for sliding Prone, Balance DC 10 to slide at all, if you roll a 15 or higher, you maintain sufficient control to take a standard action while you slide, at a -5 penalty (as per running strike.)

For sliding standing, the balance DC is 15, but if you roll a 20 or more you likewise maintain sufficient control to take a standard action while you slide, at a -5 penalty (as per running strike)

Actions taken must be possible from the position you are in. (i.e. Firing a longbow or swinging a greataxe must be done from a standing position, while shooting a crossbow, throwing a knife, or slashing with a rapier may be attempted laying down.)

How does that sound?

HempRope
2011-12-17, 11:45 AM
Very cool.

Mr. X
2011-12-17, 12:36 PM
For HempRope and SlyJonny, you might note that we've moved onto a 2nd page in your IC thread... (so if you're waiting for me to post, I have. It's just on the next page :-)

Mr. X
2011-12-17, 12:49 PM
Just for Fun:

This is a side rule I usually include in my games that I haven't brought up yet (It doesn't actually have any gameplay effect, just something for you guys to keep in mind as you get beat up.)

Scarring:
As Adventurers go forth on their adventures, battling Trolls and Dragons and so-on, they often find themselves beaten within an inch of their lives. While the benevolent (or perhaps amused) eyes of the gods shine down on them, curing their grevious wounds and having them fighting fit only moments later, such routine trauma does tend to leave it's mark.

System: Anytime a character takes damage equal to, or greater than, 10% (roughly) of their total HP, it shall leave an appropriately ugly scar, regardless of healing methods or magics used. (i.e. Healing magic vastly speeds natural healing, rather than just erasing damage.)

HempRope
2011-12-17, 01:17 PM
For HempRope and SlyJonny, you might note that we've moved onto a 2nd page in your IC thread... (so if you're waiting for me to post, I have. It's just on the next page :-)

I'd just forgotten to hit "Submit Reply" :smallredface:

SlyJohnny
2011-12-17, 01:34 PM
Just to clarify: I can't hear Meste encounter the zombies, right? Seems like we'd be best served trying to get them and the halflings to square off...

Since you asked, Hemp, the breakdown is this:

+4 skill ranks, +3 int, +2 search vs unusual stonework for being a dwarf, +3 from skill focus: Search feat, and +2 from a masterwork tool. I'm not sure about the last bit, but apparently you can get a bonus for anything you can rationalize having a tool for... if I'm wrong about that, I'll ditch the goggles and redistribute the money.

Mr. X
2011-12-17, 01:43 PM
For Mugan:
I like the goggles. Keep 'em. And no, you are unaware of the zombie death coming for Meste... For now, at least.

Mr. X
2011-12-18, 10:50 PM
Sorry for the delay guys, it's been a crazy couple of days. I'm on my way home now, and will make a real post when I get there.

In the mean time, while Sucrose is away (and with his permission) I will be taking [very] basic actions for Kulkov, so that you don't lose your main fighter in the middle of combat.

So, without further adeu, here is his initiative roll:

[roll0]

SlyJohnny
2011-12-20, 11:28 AM
So about the Hidden Talent feat, if I understand you correctly, you say you don't like it (but are okay with the Wild Talent feat, which is similar except it requires a psionic class level), and are also okay with me swopping out/retraining the feat to instead take it at second level, if I take a level in a psionic class? Is that correct?

If so, then for now, I'll take a martial weapon profiency in dwarven waraxes :)

Mr. X
2011-12-20, 05:30 PM
You know, I'm sort of against any feats that give class abilities to non-class members (i.e. Being a fighter with Innate Spell-Fireball, etc...). I feel if you want Spells or Psychic Powers, you need to be a Caster or a Psychic, gaining all the benefits of taking a level that class.

So I'd be more in favor of swapping the feat for a weapon proficiency, as you suggest, and then taking a level in a psychic class and getting all the powers/bonus feats associated with it.

I admit, I'm not very well informed on the psychic classes. I'll try and get myself acquainted better with them by the time you guys lv up.

(looks like 'Precognition' is a 1st lv power anyway, so you'd only need one level to get it, along with a mess of other cool stuff.)

SlyJohnny
2011-12-20, 05:38 PM
Okay, I understand that logic :)

Would I still be able to retrain a feat at second level? Like, if I take a class that grants me martial weapon profiency anyway? If not, I'll take toughness or dodge or something instead.

HempRope
2011-12-20, 05:39 PM
Wait, are psionics allowed now?

SlyJohnny
2011-12-20, 05:42 PM
Aiee, they weren't allowed before? I thought I saw a psionic character on the player list, was I wrong?

HempRope
2011-12-20, 05:52 PM
Actually, looking back at the first post, I think you're right. Looks like ToB was good too, I'm surprised I drew up a Scout, haha.

SlyJohnny
2011-12-20, 05:53 PM
Whew. Although, the game has changed DM's since then. If MrX doesn't like psionics, I'll just go straight rogue or something.

SlyJohnny
2011-12-20, 05:56 PM
Whew. Although, the game has changed DM's since then. If MrX doesn't like psionics, I'll just go straight rogue or something.

Mr. X
2011-12-20, 06:00 PM
I just checked Achwizard's 'The 16'. He didn't have Psions listed as Banned, though we didn't have any playing either.

As for me I don't mind you playing one, but as I said, I'm not very well informed regarding them. So I'll just ask that, should you choose to go that route, you explain the mechanics of the powers you are using behind a spoiler when you use them, and I'll read up on them myself.

As a basic rule of thumb, just try to stay away from 'cheap shot' powers.

Powerful powers are great, but I'm against anything who's effects lessen the interest level of any given scene. (If that makes sense.)

EDIT: And yes, if you take a feat that is later made obsolete by taking a level in a class who's features include that feat, you may swap it out for something actually useful and that is in keeping with your character design.

Mr. X
2011-12-21, 02:49 AM
Regarding Crossover between different Arcane and Divine methods of spellcasting:

According to the book, to cast a spell of a scroll, the spell must belong not only to your caster type (i.e. Arcane or Divine), but also must belong to your class spell list (i.e. Wizard, Sorcerer, Bard, or Cleric, Paladin, Druid, Ranger)

So if you are a wizard, and have an arcane spell scroll from a bard, you may not cast it unless the spell is also a wizard spell...

I am going to allow any caster to cast a spell from any scroll of the same source (Arcane or Divine) with the following limitations:

Arcane Casters manipulate the primal forces of the universe to create their desired effects. However, their methods differ dramatically.

-Wizards, use arcane formulae and scientific methodology to describe and control these primal forces.

-Sorcerers, possess a natural feel for the ebb and flow of the primal forces, and willfully bend them to their desire.

-Bards, the most different, use poetry and music, tone and pitch to deeply effect emotions, and even more, effecting what the world is and what makes people who and what they are at their core.

At the base, however, it is all Arcane Magic, and all manipulations of the same forces.

Soooooo.....

In order to cast a spell prepared by a different class, you must conform to that class's method of casting.

For Sorcerers and Wizards, the stretch is not so very far, as the forces the sorcerer feels and the ones the wizard describes are very much the same thing. For either case, the caster must succeed at a Spellcraft Check, DC: (15+Spell Level+ any other modifiers that might apply)

For Bards, it's much less about getting a repeatable effect, and much more about creating ART. to cast a spell from a Bard's scroll, they must Succeed at a Performance Check, DC: (15+Spell Level+ any other modifiers that might apply).

A note: The only reason I can see that they would restrict a caster to his own spell list, is because Bards can heal, and Sorcerers/Wizards cannot. This is a valid objective, and so I will also rule (for some fabulous reason that I haven't come up with yet) that wizards cannot learn healing spells from bard scrolls. They may, however, cast them off the scroll if they can successfully sing the song.

I've got a great big diatribe for the Divine casters too(regarding powers from dieties and so on), but since we only have one of them, I won't get into it now.

SlyJohnny
2011-12-21, 01:00 PM
A 1st level bard scroll costs the same as a potion. How come you took a bard-crafted scroll instead of a druid or cleric made potion?

#Raptor
2011-12-21, 03:17 PM
That was a close one... about time for a decent roll. ^^

Mr. X
2011-12-21, 04:29 PM
Scrolls can be re-written upon even after their magic has been spent. The casting consumes the ink, and leaves the vellum blank and ready for re-use.

HempRope
2011-12-21, 07:30 PM
A note: The only reason I can see that they would restrict a caster to his own spell list, is because Bards can heal, and Sorcerers/Wizards cannot.That's one of the main differences. The other is spell level. Bard's often get access to spells at lower spell levels because they're still getting it at a higher caster level (e.g. Lesser Geas -- Bard 3, Sorc/Wiz 4). So if my character has access to 3rd level Sorcerer/Wizard spells, with a DC 18 Perform check could he use a Scroll of Lesser Geas scribed by a Bard?

Also, are you saying that for a Wizard to cast a scroll scribed by a Sorcerer, or vice versa, (s)he would need to make a Spellcraft check even though their spell lists are the same?

EDIT:
A 1st level bard scroll costs the same as a potion. How come you took a bard-crafted scroll instead of a druid or cleric made potion?I've done this to prevent other characters from using the item.

Mr. X
2011-12-21, 07:48 PM
Yes and yes.

One thing I always felt was overlooked in the magic system was how Sorcerers and Wizards were intrinsically different, despite operating from the same spell list. The only reason it is easier for them to swap back and forth is because Spellcraft is a primary skill for both, and operates on the same principles regardless of the feel of the magic.

Wizards, therefore, must conceptualize the 'feel' of the raw magical forces, while Sorcerers must accept that these same ultimate forces can be controlled by something as mundane as complex arcane formulae.

As for the Spell Level, you are absolutely correct. If you can succeed at the necessary skill check, you could cast the same spell at a lower spell level (though the resistance DC would also use the lower spell level.)

This shall not change the operation of the 'Use Magic Device' Skill, and anyone could indeed use that in place of the above ruling if they so chose.

HempRope
2011-12-21, 08:08 PM
Interesting. Glad I'm not playing a Sorcerer!

Mr. X
2011-12-21, 08:19 PM
That's ok, #Raptor is. :-)

HempRope
2011-12-21, 08:42 PM
It may not matter, if I'm taking 1d4 Con damage/turn w/o more saves, Meste is dead.

I'm gonna need to think on her next action and I'm a couple drinks into my evening so I'll give you a next action tomorrow :)

Mr. X
2011-12-21, 09:20 PM
Sounds good.

FYI, you'll take damage once more before you get another save. Also, if you can get away from the mold, that'll help (but you probably already figured that one out. :-)

Mr. X
2011-12-23, 03:14 PM
Again, my apologies for the delay guys, it was another crazy day yesterday.

I am, however, pleased to announce that I am officially finished with work for the rest of the year! :-D

So I shall have quite a bit more time on my hands for the next couple of weeks.

HempRope
2011-12-23, 11:12 PM
Me too! But I have family visiting, tomorrow I'll do my best to figure out what Meste does next.

EDIT: I don't see any maps, are they there?

Mr. X
2011-12-24, 12:37 AM
Yeah, we've moved onto a third page. There's a post for both you and Murgan, and that's where your map is.

Sucrose
2011-12-24, 10:33 AM
Sorry about my slowness to respond. Work was more involved than anticipated on Thursday and Friday. Should be good for a post or two a day until Monday, and hopefully one per day thereafter, though.:smallsmile:

Mr. X
2011-12-24, 12:43 PM
Awesome, welcome back.

#Raptor
2011-12-24, 12:50 PM
Until Meste and Murgan join us, how about this night watch plan?:

Fredric 2,67 hours
Kulkav 2,67 hours
Malthos 2,67 hours
Taribo 2,67 hours
Our group will sleep for 10,68 hours, Fredric and Malthos have to prepare spells for 1 hour, so in total we'll rest 11,68 hours and move for 12,32 hours each day.

Sucrose
2011-12-24, 02:02 PM
Seems pretty good to me at the moment. Once we have enough people that we can spare the casters a watch, we can have them prepare during the final watch, or something.

Mr. X
2011-12-24, 06:01 PM
Ack, wrong thread, sorry. Just re-posted IC.

#Raptor
2011-12-24, 06:23 PM
Hmmm... wrong thread? Btw, Merry Christmas to everyone! :smallsmile:

Mr. X
2011-12-24, 08:19 PM
And yes, a merry Christmas to all!

#Raptor
2011-12-25, 05:31 AM
Ah, I forgot to ask... how much xp should we note for those last two fights? (The rat swarms and the insects... they were stirges I think?)
Looks like we are getting close to leveling up. :smallsmile:
Although the difference between level 1 and level 2 is not very noticeable for a sorcerer... one cantrip more known and one level 1 and one cantrip more per day...so I'm really looking more at the fact that this'll mean level 3 ain't too far away either I guess. :smallwink:

Mr. X
2011-12-25, 02:36 PM
Ahh, yes, I neglected that point, sorry. And you are quite correct, the insects were Stirges. (by the book, they don't deal damage at all, but if somethings gonna hook into you such that it has +12 to grapple checks, it's probably gonna take some skin with it. So I added the damage, and an extra hit point, and upped their CR from 1/2 to 2/3.)

Nasty little buggers no matter how you cut them, though.

Xp awards:

Rat Swarm: 300xp for each character

Stirges: 300xp for each character

#Raptor
2011-12-25, 03:13 PM
If I counted correctly, that makes us level 2 now. :smallsmile:
Previous encounters: 450 xp
xp from yesterday: 600 xp
= 1050 xp

You want to keep using that "roll hp, reroll 1's" ruling from the original recruitment threat?

Sucrose
2011-12-25, 04:21 PM
Please note that if #Raptor's EXP calculations are correct, then Kulkav would be getting in his Goliath racial stat adjustments (along with his Draconic Aspect), and so would be doing an additional 3 damage on each strike.

Also, sorry, everyone, for the early rising, but I don't think that Kulkav could ignore someone in distress. Maybe we could go to sleep again after this?

Mr. X
2011-12-26, 01:42 AM
I'm sorry to rain on your parades, but I think you counted the rat swarms twice.

XP awards so far (per character)

Dark Mantle: 75xp
Rats: 75xp
Rat Swarms: 300xp
Stirges: 300xp

Total: 750xp

Correct me if I've forgotten an event.

Sucrose
2011-12-26, 08:33 AM
Well, let's see what Architecture and Engineering Kulkav knows about. His is untrained.

[roll0]
[roll1]

#Raptor
2011-12-26, 11:59 AM
Yeah ur right, I had some feeling you had already mentioned the rat swarms but looking through the IC-thread I couldn't find where... so I assumed that that was something else.

But yeah, 750 xp. Unless we gain xp for talking the orc to death. =P

/Edit: Woah, this post finally got through. I've lost count how many times I've already tried to respond and the forum ate the post...

HempRope
2011-12-26, 06:52 PM
I've had some trouble posting too. I bet activity is up over the Christmas break season.

Anyway, I forgot to ask, how far up is the T-shaped thing? Once I know that, I've figured out Meste's action (I think).

Mr. X
2011-12-27, 06:32 PM
It's the little drawn in thing on the map, just north of Meste, through the door. About 35 feet north.

Fates
2011-12-28, 12:30 AM
We're at 750 XP? Coo.:smallcool:

SlyJohnny
2011-12-28, 10:12 AM
Hi! Sorry, guys. Had a bit of a frantic christmas, lost my passport and couldn't go home, so wound up going to the Berkshires with a friend of mine instead, at the last minute. Back and ready to play now, though.

So I've already searched this entire room quite thoroughly, right? No treasure or offerings anywhere?

Mr. X
2011-12-28, 03:15 PM
No worries. Sorry about your passport.

As for the room, you've only gotten a good look at the southern carving before something started smashing down the walls, but there were no obvious treasures laying about at the others.

EDIT:

FOR ALL:
Finally getting going again, I've just posted to both IC threads. I'll get maps up this evening, but feel free to move on without them.

Due to a lucky break, I was just able to post maps, so they are there and up to date.

Mr. X
2012-01-02, 06:20 PM
Happy New Year guys!

I've been traveling around alot over the last few days, so I'm sorry posting has been fairly slow.

I am home now, however, and should be able to get things moving again on a more regular basis, as we all get through the holiday season chaos and our lives get back to normal.

Hope the new year brings you all the best.

Sucrose
2012-01-02, 09:46 PM
Aye; hope the same for you.:smallsmile:

Sorry for my slow response; without a new post, I didn't realize that anything had changed on these threads.

#Raptor
2012-01-03, 12:32 PM
Yeah, no need to apologize... I've also been slow, last few days have been pretty busy.

And a happy new year to you too! :smallsmile:

Sucrose
2012-01-03, 10:53 PM
Rollin' my init

[roll0]

Mr. X
2012-01-10, 12:19 PM
FYI, I'm traveling for the next couple of days, and so will not have access to my computer to update the maps.

My phone should work, however, so I can continue making map-less posts. (I expect we can finish this battle, and get through the next little bit without maps, by which time I ought to be home and map-capable again.)

Have returned home, and am fully functional once more. (If anyone is still around.)

Mr. X
2012-01-16, 03:12 PM
Checking to see if anyone is still here.

Activity has sort of dried up over the last week, but I'll continue if people are still interested.

Sucrose
2012-01-16, 04:02 PM
I'm still interested, but it's not my init.

Fates
2012-01-16, 04:47 PM
Same as sucrose. Love the adventure so far, just waiting for it to be my turn again.

Mr. X
2012-01-16, 06:29 PM
Oh, then it's my bad, sorry guys. :-P

We're at the top of the round. Malthos, it's your turn.

Sucrose
2012-01-19, 06:26 AM
So, does 'twitch backward' mean that the Kulkav is momentarily outside the zombie's reach?

Mr. X
2012-01-19, 08:16 PM
for the moment, yes.

Sucrose
2012-01-19, 10:32 PM
Don't know why the roll in the post didn't work, but here it is again.

[roll0]

Fates
2012-01-19, 10:49 PM
Finally, you got a good roll. =P

Sucrose
2012-01-19, 11:17 PM
Two of them, even. And with rather nice symmetry.:smallbiggrin:

Mr. X
2012-01-19, 11:56 PM
Happy Level Up everyone, roll your Hit Dice

Fredric Roll: [roll0]

Fates
2012-01-20, 12:00 AM
Malthos roll:
[roll0]

EDIT: The sheet has been updated, including the spells he prepares in the morning.

Mr. X
2012-01-20, 12:19 AM
Just a reminder for all Casters:

You get extra Spells/Day/Spell Lv equal to your relevant Modifier (i.e. Int for Wizards, Cha for Scorcerers, Wis for Clerics)

So take those into account as well...

(I'd overlooked this little detail with Fredric that whole level, and kept wondering why I felt like I had so few spells :-P)

Sucrose
2012-01-20, 06:18 AM
I'm afraid that I don't get a hit dice this level; I pay the piper for using an LA +1 race. Still, I do get one additional hit point, by virtue of Kulkav's acquisition of Goliath racial stat modifiers, along with his Draconic Aspect of Wings.

Fates
2012-01-20, 04:33 PM
Wings are always nice. So, wait, I prepare and extra 4 0/1st level spells/day? Awesome.

Mr. X
2012-01-20, 04:41 PM
@MasterofFates

Yeah, and for every level there after too. That's the way I read it at least.

SlyJohnny
2012-01-20, 04:47 PM
I don't think it's quite that good.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#abilityScores is the chart. Though by all means, houserule otherwise, it doesn't affect me :)

Fates
2012-01-20, 04:48 PM
Well, I know that's the way it is in the rules, I just assumed it was a house rule.

Mr. X
2012-01-20, 05:41 PM
Right, that's the chart, but then it says (if you read the individual classes)"the wizard/sorcerer/cleric gains additional known spells/day for having a high Intelligance/Charisma/Wisdom."

Which is pretty vague, but I can only see it as applying your modifier as bonus spells... Though it does seem kind of too good.

I'm certainly open to argument.

Actually, I have no idea what I'm talking about. That chart is correct. Use that. Sorry.

Sucrose
2012-01-26, 06:44 PM
So, is the Spiked Chain being a martial weapon a houserule, or a special case for this chain, or what?

Mr. X
2012-01-26, 08:12 PM
Ack!! Actually, checking again, it is supposed to be exotic. I keep mis-reading the charts... one of the inherent problems of using an iphone. :-(

Sorry guys.

Sucrose
2012-01-26, 09:01 PM
Bah; fine by me. Not like we're going to use everything we pick up anyway.:smallbiggrin:

Mr. X
2012-02-02, 11:38 PM
Hey,

Sorry for the delay guys, Life got crazy busy the past couple of days. Settling out now, so posts should be more regular.

Again, sorry to keep you waiting.

X

SlyJohnny
2012-02-04, 04:44 PM
Might have no access to a computer for 2-3 days or so. NPC Murgan or do whatever as needed. Will be back soonish, I hope :)

SlyJohnny
2012-02-06, 08:48 PM
It looks like I am not to be homeless just yet, after all. I can keep posting for a bit.

Thanks for NPCing me:)

Sucrose
2012-02-06, 10:00 PM
Glad to hear that you're all right, SlyJohnny! What did you mean by homeless, though?:smalleek:

Mr. X
2012-02-07, 01:44 AM
Yeah, welcome back SlyJonny! I'm glad you've still got a roof over your head. Try to keep it that way, huh?

Fates
2012-02-07, 11:31 AM
Welcome back, my fabulous fellow! It's initiative time!

[roll0]
The snakes will not be participating. :smallconfused:

Sucrose
2012-02-07, 11:32 AM
Ah, right. Here be Kulkav's roll.:smallsmile:
[roll0]