PDA

View Full Version : Initiate of sevenfold veil and antimagic

Hirax
2011-09-24, 11:02 PM
You have an Initiate/Archmage ("IA") that casts AMF, but cast with master of shaping from archmage (or another similar ability) so that there's a donut hole in the center allowing him to keep veils up. What's the best way to attack enemies with this setup? A proxy ala spectral hand is probably the best option, but spectral hand can only do touch spells level 4 and under.

sreservoir
2011-09-24, 11:19 PM
that's enough for shivering touch, no?

Hirax
2011-09-24, 11:24 PM
I'm looking more for something like the doppelganger you get from trickery devotion. At 15th level it lets you cast spells as though they originate from it. But that's not helpful to wizards without a dip into sacred exorcist since they can't fuel it with turning attempts. I'm looking for something that can fire off higher levels spells and ranged touch attacks as well.

tyckspoon
2011-09-25, 01:09 AM
Project Image lets you cast spells with the image as the origin point, but it very specifically and strictly requires you to keep line of effect to the image to do so. So.. probably not a satisfactory solution, given the most powerful defensive effect of the Veils is instantly cutting line of effect from the attacker. Assuming you're running the AMF not breaking LoE.. although that removes most of the defensive value of a donut-AMF, so maybe not.

satorian
2011-09-25, 01:25 AM
Use those high level spells you want to cast to gate and summon things to cast for you.

Hirax
2011-09-25, 01:26 AM
AMF doesn't remove line of effect (the Rules Compendium says so specifically), I don't see why veils would either. Which would mean if my image is already up, it becomes the point of origin for spells, right? The idea would be to cast project image, then put up violet veil and donut AMF.

I had originally ignored project image because I figured it would be easy to defeat, but rereading it, the spell mentions no negative consequences for it being attacked. Even if they recognize it as unreal, that wouldn't prevent you from using it to cast spells. Right? Being unable to cast spells behind the violet veil is what I saw being touted as the weakness of initiates, but this seems like a trivial way to get around it.

Hirax
2011-09-26, 12:07 PM
Bring
Up