PDA

View Full Version : Catch an object?

hisnamehere
2011-09-24, 11:35 PM
Are there any rules supporting catching a thrown object?

Ravens_cry
2011-09-25, 12:36 AM
Snatch Arrows (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#snatchArrows)allows you to do this with weapons coming at you. Technically by RAW, you can't do this with alchemist fire or other similar items, but I would allow it.

Anarchy_Kanya
2011-09-25, 12:51 AM
Isn't Alchemist's Fire a weapon? I would rule anything thrown at you as a weapon. Improvised weapon, but a weapon.
Or just threat it like giving the object, but make a ranged touch attack to succeed.

Ravens_cry
2011-09-25, 01:30 AM
Isn't Alchemist's Fire a weapon? I would rule anything thrown at you as a weapon. Improvised weapon, but a weapon.
Or just threat it like giving the object, but make a ranged touch attack to succeed.
An improvised weapon would count as a weapon, but alchemist fire comes under good and services. Of course, it could turn out I was wrong, because it also says that it is thrown as a splash weapon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#alchemistsFire). My bad.

ericgrau
2011-09-25, 01:56 AM
If a PC tosses an object to another PC there are similar rules which basically let you hit the 2nd PC's touch AC, minus dex if he's willing, or perhaps even that number minus 5 if he's not overly active & mobile (e.g., not busy fighting at the same time). I wouldn't include non-proficiency nor improvised weapon penalties because weapon or not you are not tossing it like a weapon.

If you're trying to stop an attack then ya you need snatch arrows.

jvluso
2011-09-25, 02:02 AM
Source: Races of Stone, page 59.

Physics_Rook
2011-09-25, 03:47 AM
For catching an incoming projectile, WotC saw fit to saddle an interesting and cinematic action with a feat tax.
Like many things, being able to "catch" something is not worth the two feats required.:smallannoyed:

Unfortunately, my only advice for this falls under the heading of house rules, so by RAW this won't be helpful to you. :smallfrown:

I suggest letting players have the option of catching things thrown at them, with penalties for things with large range increments (the idea being that a larger range increment implies a faster moving object, and being harder to safely catch), as well as making them sacrifice one of their attacks on their following turn in order to do so. As always, use common sense to adjudicate disputes of what is easy or difficult to catch.

For throwing to a willing person on your turn.
Standard Action.
Ranged Touch Attack vs 10 - Target's DEX_Mod + Target's ACP

For reactively (i.e. not your turn) catching an incoming projectile safely.
Forgo your highest base attack for your next turn (e.g. +10/+5, drops the +10).
Melee Touch Attack vs Thrower's Attack + Object's Range Increment

You cannot forgo more attacks than you have available.
You must have a hand available to catch the object.

EX 1: Orc throws a dagger at Fighter, with a total attack score of 15. Fighter forgoes his next highest attack on his next turn to make a Melee Touch Attack vs 25.
Difficult but not impossible.

EX 2: Orc fires a light crossbow at Fighter, with a total attack score of 10. Fighter forgoes his next highest attack on his next turn to make a Melee Touch Attack vs 90.
Only for epic characters.

Situational modifiers may apply. Check with your DM first. Batteries sold separately. :smallsmile:

hisnamehere
2011-09-25, 08:35 AM
I've always used the house rule that you can always deflect, snatch, or deflect a projectile if you have IUS and Deflect Arrows (i.e. don't need the extra two relevant feats for the latter two actions).
I do believe that anyone has the potential to catch a thrown weapon meant to harm them, but probably not a projectile weapon. You would have to ready an action to do so, however, without the Deflect Arrows feat, and could do it a number of times equal to your number of attacks (iterative plus off-hand).

To hit someone's 5ft. space with a thrown object, you need succeed a ranged attack roll vs. AC 5 (PHB 158). After that, it is the target's responsibility to catch the object. I think granting a +1 <type> bonus to the target's catch attempt for every 5 points the thrower beat the AC 5 attack roll.
However, I'm not sure how to handle the catching action/attempt. Someone in our group suggested a Reflex save. RoS (pg 59) suggests intercepting a thrown pass requires making a ranged attack roll that beats the thrower's ranged attack roll. But that is vs an offensively thrown object, not one specifically thrown to be caught by an ally.

Alternately, RoS (pg 59) suggests that passing an object to an ally with a ranged attack is treated as a ranged attack roll vs. your ally's AC, but with the Dex bonuses and penalties to AC reversed (makes sense). But, just because you hit somebody with an object, doesn't mean they automatically catch it.

Rule:
I think I like the ranged attack vs. AC 5, with the target requiring a Ref save DC 5 (remember a roll of 1 is auto-fail, regardless of Ref save bonuses), adjusted by +1 for every 5 points the thrower beats the AC and -1 for every 5 points the thrower misses the AC.
You can ready an action to catch a friendly projectile, in which case you can move to catch poorly thrown projectiles (PHB 158, Missing with a Thrown Weapon).
You can attempt a Jump check if within a square along a projectile's Line of Effect to catch an object before it reaches its target square. Negate 5ft. of distance fore every 3ft. vertical jump.

Thoughts?

Zaq
2011-09-25, 02:34 PM
Alternately, RoS (pg 59) suggests that passing an object to an ally with a ranged attack is treated as a ranged attack roll vs. your ally's AC, but with the Dex bonuses and penalties to AC reversed (makes sense). But, just because you hit somebody with an object, doesn't mean they automatically catch it.

I view reversing the DEX bonuses as the ally attempting to catch it. There's no need to add in a separate roll for that sort of thing, at least as I see it.