PDA

View Full Version : Magic Item advice - 3.5

Aegis013
2011-09-25, 01:44 AM
I'm looking for some (D&D 3.5) advice for magic items which would be beneficial to me and my group for a high magic campaign.

I'm a killer gnome build (Shadowcraft Mage with Heighten Spell and Earth spell) with a Vow of Poverty druid, zen archery cleric, a warforged fighter and a warforged warblade, and I've been tasked with basically gathering up some magic items for the group.

I have to get things that are "within reason" meaning no powerful artifacts, but major wonderous items are fair game. I can get three 40,000gp items, or 6 20,000 gp items, or 12 10,000 gp items etc and I'm wondering what you gentlemen might suggest since there sure are a lot of magic items to sift through in that Compendium and I often overlook a gem. I intend to grab a +6 headband of intellect, however 1 40k allotment of spending should go to group benefiting items unless I/you can make a good case otherwise.

At the moment I'm thinking I'll grab the Headband of Intellect +6 for certain, maybe gauntlets of ogres strength and belt of giants strength for the BSF's. The cleric already has the majority of our groups magic item wealth (she got an artifact last session) so I'm not particularly concerned about buying anything for her. My question to you fellows is what things could especially benefit us? Appreciate the advice. Please include the book the item is from, thank you.

As far as what we have: I have a headband of Int +2, Bracers of Armor +1, Cloak of Resistance +1, two of us have Heward's Handy Haversacks, and the cleric has a quarterstaff that grants +1 wisdom, a +4 chain shirt and an Orb of Dragonkind (Silver). The druid and warforged are all magic item-less atm. Druid due to Vow of Poverty.

tl;dr - what magic items should I get? Please include the book the item is from. Thanks again.

Hirax
2011-09-25, 01:51 AM
Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis from Tome of Magic is quite nice.

Aegis013
2011-09-25, 01:57 AM
For casting Planar Bubble for free Maximizes? That slipped my mind but my DM already said I could do that, thank you for the reminder. If I remember, there's a way to get it to be permanent for about twice as much gold. Is it worth it?

Hirax
2011-09-25, 01:59 AM
The permanent one costs 22k. A very good item, worth getting the permanent one IMO.

Aegis013
2011-09-25, 02:06 AM
Thank you very much! Any other suggestions? I appreciate any suggestions.

I was considering trying to get a Boccob's spellbook, but I haven't encountered any spellbooks from which to copy spells yet, and I honestly doubt I will for the foreseeable future, so I'm leaning away from that.

Hirax
2011-09-25, 02:11 AM
Sphere of awakening, 1/day remove all fatigue effects. Belt of battle can grant you an extra full round action on your turn at the cost of a swift action. Both of these are in the MIC. Gemstones of fortification in the Draconomicon can make you immune to crits. A bunch of blast discs (Heroes of Battle) can be useful and fun. And not expensive, but don't overlook sovereign glue. You can never have too much sovereign glue.