PDA

View Full Version : The gentlemen's dual

Dayzgone
2011-09-25, 09:41 AM
All right play ground, me and one of my friends have a gentlemen’s agreement, are 2 most powerful Thematic characters are going to square off mono-e-mono. Now notice I said thematic, this is the key to the fight and why it’s a gentlemen’s agreement, and not just who is the better optimizer. Each character has a theme that we must stick to. We didn’t just say that character type x is better than character type y. We have had these 2 for a long time now. Neither of which has been made yet, only there personality and thematic abilities are known. How they are built is a complete mystery. Now don’t think that we were just sitting around and saying “oh if a character can do this it would be cool”. Mine came from another game known as Lords of Creation (LoC for short) and his comes from a homebrew that never saw the light of day.

My heroes name is Lidia. She was made by a god of good and knowledge to protect the innocent and forgotten of the world below. She has been around for a long while now and has grown in power by an amazing amount. So much so, that she was able to stand up to the god of war in combat(another player) and live. Now she didn’t win that fight but she was able to hold him at bay long enough for a divine intervention from my god.

Now that you know the deal, I need to find out what classes and items she needs to be able to fully fit her thematic abilities and tricks. Which are as follows.

• Left and right eye can shot devastating beams of energy. One is neutrally aligned the other is good aligned. She can chose to fire both are just one at a time

• She has ethereal wings that alow her to fly at amazing speeds

• She is actually very short think of the halfing race but with special properties. (Which are +2 con, and +2 Int. Also she has a natural claw attack bc she has diamond finger tips)

• She was made by gods which means she should have divine spell casting

• She should also be able to cast Psionic powers to

• She may be short but she packs a punch, her str is phenomenal. She holds the Large great sword Excalibur and wears flexible diamond armor.

• She kills if needed to, but never go’s out of her way to slay a creature. She can she smite evil, but that’s not how she works. She protects “everything” so long as it is innocent at the time. She has never actually used this ability yet. But will, if pushed into the situation.

• She has the knowledge of the universe at her disposal. And it can be assumed that she knows as much as her father the god of Knowledge and truth

• She can actively detect alignment for free at any time during the day

• Her personality is usually happy go lucky. However she can easily become depressed when there is a situation that she cannot do anything about, or when a war starts and neither side deserves to be saved. She can get extremely serious in a fight and will put her all into every encounter. However if she finds that she may be about to kill the defender without much of a struggle she may lighten her attacks and give it a chance to escape. Not because she wants them to get stronger, but because she doesn’t feel right about being a bully to another, even if its evil

• She is so powerful that it may not be long before she ascends to god hood herself

• Finally she should be able to fight in the frontlines of the party, or be the support/ main caster for the group. If she was ever in a standard game.Ok so that’s what I have on her so far. With maybe more to come. All books are open, and any crazy builds you can think of a game, so long as you keep to her thematic tricks. Oh and this a standard 3.5 book collection. No dragon magazine or pathfinder classes. However other 3rd party books are good. Just let me know where from. Thank you for any help ahead of time :smallsmile:

DoctorGlock
2011-09-25, 11:06 AM
so far i'm seeing a cleric/sacred exorcist/knight of the raven (using all the DMM legal turning variants) to persist loads of buffs, many of which give all the physical traits you want, and then getting ocular spell to eye blast.

If you feel you can take a huge caster level loss you can grap 4 levels of prestige paladin for battle blessing and sword of the arcane order, which might bolster the whole knowledge part. at 20th you will have CL 17 and thus the big 9s, but if the fight is earlier you're gonna be hurting.

What will you be dueling?

Dayzgone
2011-09-25, 03:41 PM
yaay some one got back to me on this :smallbiggrin:

yes we are fighting at effective lvl 20. Although it is going to preaty crazy.

From what i can remember, he is a warforged with a crazy amount of templates, and using one of the Ebrron marks. I think it was something like true making.

I do now that he works by grappling you the preaty much self destructing. Of course he doesnt hurt him self. But this is not about making a character to counter his. If any thing lets pretend that im not fighting anybody for the time being. Also I just want to say, feel free to cheese this as much as you want. Don’t deliberately try and brake the game. But look for fun loopholes.

As I was driving back home I thought of replacing her eyes with 2 psi crystals that both have the observe trait. Then making it so they can manifest powers on their own. So they can use energy ray or something. This would save her from having to actually manifest it herself. So she can get up close with Excalibur, or whatever else is needed.

Dayzgone
2011-09-25, 03:45 PM
Also he may have some artificer in him. Just to you know

DoctorGlock
2011-09-25, 04:07 PM
yaay some one got back to me on this :smallbiggrin:

yes we are fighting at effective lvl 20. Although it is going to preaty crazy.

From what i can remember, he is a warforged with a crazy amount of templates, and using one of the Ebrron marks. I think it was something like true making.

I do now that he works by grappling you the preaty much self destructing. Of course he doesnt hurt him self. But this is not about making a character to counter his. If any thing lets pretend that im not fighting anybody for the time being. Also I just want to say, feel free to cheese this as much as you want. Don’t deliberately try and brake the game. But look for fun loopholes.

As I was driving back home I thought of replacing her eyes with 2 psi crystals that both have the observe trait. Then making it so they can manifest powers on their own. So they can use energy ray or something. This would save her from having to actually manifest it herself. So she can get up close with Excalibur, or whatever else is needed.

or you can just use you massive turning pool to persist multiple holy stars which fire as a free action for 10d6 each rather than gouging your eyes out, and you probably need psionics for that anyway.

you are a persist based divine caster, you should be under a constant freedom of movement, grapple will not be a problem

cheater of mystra or extraordinary spell aim, sit in your antimagic field and laugh while anything trying to touch you becomes a doddering mundane and you are still a lesser divinity

breaking the game is a relative concept, i need to know what counts in your group. the above stuff is all considered old hat in mine but might be called cheese in yours.

if he's artificer, expect wish/miracle spam, you will need the antimagic

huttj509
2011-09-25, 04:09 PM
Can't resist...

duEl (for the combat, dual refers to 2 of something)

mAno A mAno (hand to hand, also colloquially one on one, etc.)

Sorry...

DoctorGlock
2011-09-25, 04:15 PM
Can't resist...

Sorry...

You should see how they butcher English in this country... then you'd ignore a few errors.

Dayzgone
2011-09-25, 04:15 PM
Can't resist...

Sorry...

Yeah thx for the help. I’m dyslexic so my spelling is crap thx for reinforcing that

{Scrubbed}

Dayzgone
2011-09-25, 04:20 PM
or you can just use you massive turning pool to persist multiple holy stars which fire as a free action for 10d6 each rather than gouging your eyes out, and you probably need psionics for that anyway.

you are a persist based divine caster, you should be under a constant freedom of movement, grapple will not be a problem

cheater of mystra or extraordinary spell aim, sit in your antimagic field and laugh while anything trying to touch you becomes a doddering mundane and you are still a lesser divinity

breaking the game is a relative concept, i need to know what counts in your group. the above stuff is all considered old hat in mine but might be called cheese in yours.

if he's artificer, expect wish/miracle spam, you will need the antimagic

Well she is supposed to be psionic also so yeah. but the Stars thing sounds like fun:smalltongue:

Otherwise we have been play for a while but only recently started geting into this kind of thing.

Also funny enough he has a thread here now also asking about a anit magic and psionic film thing lolz. Oh and finaly found that knight of the raven thing. I like it but the bird is a little out of place. deffently in the running though

Narren
2011-09-25, 04:21 PM
Yeah thx for the help. I’m dyslexic so my spelling is crap thx for reinforcing that

{Scrub the post, scrub the quote}

No need to get so upset, he was being respectful about it. Personally, I prefer for someone to correct me if I misspell or mispronounce something, other wise you'll never know and you'll KEEP misspelling or mispronouncing it. As long as they're not a jerk about it, which he wasn't.

Dayzgone
2011-09-25, 04:26 PM
No need to get so upset, he was being respectful about it. Personally, I prefer for someone to correct me if I misspell or mispronounce something, other wise you'll never know and you'll KEEP misspelling or mispronouncing it. As long as they're not a jerk about it, which he wasn't.

I wasnt upset. *sigh* no one understands sarcasm on a fourm

No i do need ppl to tell me. But im alittle ticked that he came on and thats all he posted

DoctorGlock
2011-09-25, 04:27 PM
Well she is supposed to be psionic also so yeah. but the Stars thing sounds like fun:smalltongue:

Otherwise we have been play for a while but only recently started geting into this kind of thing.

Also funny enough he has a thread here now also asking about a anit magic and psionic film thing lolz. Oh and finaly found that knight of the raven thing. I like it but the bird is a little out of place. deffently in the running though

you might want to combine the stars with sanctified one of kord for the holy fire bit, otherwise he will be immune. if he manages to surround himself with antimagic your cheater of mystra should help. failing that rout a gate network through the plane of fire and drop a million mile long cone of solar death on him. hard to be immune to that (not just fire, but being deconstructed on an atomic level). stand behind the gate.

Dayzgone
2011-09-25, 04:34 PM
sanctified one of kord. cheater of mystra

Im not familiar with these. What books do they spring from

DoctorGlock
2011-09-25, 04:44 PM
sanctified one of kord. cheater of mystra

Im not familiar with these. What books do they spring from

chosen of mystra is from player's guide to faerun go figure

sanctified , on is complete champion

remember, not graceful, but when in doubt, drop a sun on him

Dayzgone
2011-09-25, 04:48 PM
Her uncle is the sun. So i dont think he will mind :smallwink:

DoctorGlock
2011-09-25, 04:52 PM
Her uncle is the sun. So i dont think he will mind :smallwink:

is the duel taking place on an inhabited planet? if so, igniting the atmosphere may cause an alignment shift which may cause problems with spell access.
If no, go nuts. Grab a time stop domain. Spam gates. Trap him in a newborn star. Do not try this in a regular game unless you are at least 1 astronomical unit from home.

Dayzgone
2011-09-25, 05:00 PM
Actually now that u mentioned it. this battle is taking place on a plane created by my god and his (his character is a watcher for some higher power in that homebrew of his) What’s more is the entire holy fire and star thing works amazing for her character profile. My god created the stars, and is born from the sun. So actually that makes the sun her grandfather not uncle.

on another note Sanctified one is my new favorite class :smalleek:

KillianHawkeye
2011-09-25, 05:05 PM
I wasnt upset. *sigh* no one understands sarcasm on a fourm

No i do need ppl to tell me. But im alittle ticked that he came on and thats all he posted

That's because you don't understand proper sarcasm. Also, sarcasm is very difficult to get across using only written word unless you go way over the top with it. And if you're going to use a smiley, don't use "annoyed" if you're really making a joke.

Dayzgone
2011-09-25, 05:16 PM
Look ppl why do you keep posting on the thread if all your going to do is lecture the guy who made it. Really if your going to put something up, can it just be about the topic at hand. The only thing your doing is being annoying and taking up space. Beccause those who are actually talking are just going to ignore it. For that matter, why do you care about it, are there really ppl who just go around the fourm looking for spelling arguments?

So plz if you are here about what i asked and actually make a post to the question. Then great say what ever you want.

But if you are here to say nothing useful then dont post cuz nobody else wants to hear it

Zombimode
2011-09-25, 06:22 PM
I must say I find it rather dificult to come up with actual advice. From just reading your character description, it seems to me that D&D might no really right system for the types of characters and style of engagement you may have in mind.
One of the posters said things about "a gate network through the plane of fire and drop a million mile long cone of solar death" and "igniting the atmosphere". While those are surely epic and cool things to do, keep in mind that they arent really backed up mechanically. Neither there are rules to what will happen if you do manage to ignite the atmosphere, nor are there ways to actually do this.

Battles between high level divine spellcasters look more like this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0456.html). Yeah, its comedy, but this strip is funny because its so real.

So Im faced with a conundrum:
If you want advice for an effective character that works within the D&D rules, I might help you with that.
But from your postings and character description in the OP I have the feeling that you would prefer a much more lenient approach to the use of the game rules. And there is nothing wrong with that. But then we have left the boundaries for what I can help you with.

Dayzgone
2011-09-25, 06:49 PM
I must say I find it rather dificult to come up with actual advice. From just reading your character description, it seems to me that D&D might no really right system for the types of characters and style of engagement you may have in mind.
One of the posters said things about "a gate network through the plane of fire and drop a million mile long cone of solar death" and "igniting the atmosphere". While those are surely epic and cool things to do, keep in mind that they arent really backed up mechanically. Neither there are rules to what will happen if you do manage to ignite the atmosphere, nor are there ways to actually do this.

Battles between high level divine spellcasters look more like this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0456.html). Yeah, its comedy, but this strip is funny because its so real.

So Im faced with a conundrum:
If you want advice for an effective character that works within the D&D rules, I might help you with that.
But from your postings and character description in the OP I have the feeling that you would prefer a much more lenient approach to the use of the game rules. And there is nothing wrong with that. But then we have left the boundaries for what I can help you with.

haha no i totally understand what your talking about. I would like to point out that she is not from DnD but from LoC. This is y things that dont really work mechanically are fair game... to a point. However i am looking for how this character might work in DnD regardless i actually have several ideas for her already includung the cleric/crusader/ Ruby knight build. Im just looking for diffrent ways so i can chose from the ones i like. Im only one guy there was no way i could find every build with out help

Also thats one of my fav strips:smallsmile:

Eldariel
2011-09-25, 06:50 PM
Well, basic Cleric X/Psion Y/Divine Cerebremancer 10 would probably fill most of what you want. Divine spellcasting makes being a combat beast trivial, and this covers the spellcasting and manifesting requirements you listed. Most of the rest of the stuff would be racial. That's...the basics, anyways. You really only need divine spellcasting and psionics to do everything you want. Ocular Spell [Lords of Madness] gets you eye beams with the specific characteristics you defined.

Dayzgone
2011-09-25, 07:45 PM
Well, basic Cleric X/Psion Y/Divine Cerebremancer 10 would probably fill most of what you want. Divine spellcasting makes being a combat beast trivial, and this covers the spellcasting and manifesting requirements you listed. Most of the rest of the stuff would be racial. That's...the basics, anyways. You really only need divine spellcasting and psionics to do everything you want. Ocular Spell [Lords of Madness] gets you eye beams with the specific characteristics you defined.

That was preatymuch one of my first build ideas. the thing about it is that its not.... how u say, flavorfull. Like you said its the base build, Lidia (heros name) Is a complecated girl, and needs some love with her character build. Its one to fall back on but in the end it just is not right.