PDA

View Full Version : Collaborator Wanted, or, Wanna Draw a Manga?

Tragic_Comedian
2011-09-25, 11:36 AM
Okay guys. As some of you may know, me and a friend of mine have recently been discussing making a manga. I think it was he who brought the subject up when we were talking together one evening... He said he'd been watching Bakuman and it had inspired him to work on becoming a manga artist. It was then that I volunteered to write the story for him. He was enthusiastic about it.

Let me tell you about my friend. He often discovers a new thing, is consumed with passion for it for a brief while, then, once he tries it, becomes discouraged and decides it's not for him. Such is the case here. He's decided he's incapable of drawing manga and doesn't want to do it anymore.

So here I am with a lot of ideas for the story/stories we were going to do and my partner has given up. I can't draw worth a ten cent piece, but I still would like to do the manga. So, on the advice of LaZodiac, I've come here to the Arts and Crafts section of the forum, hoping that I will find an artist who will be willing to collaborate with me. If you would like to do this, please let me know. I can provide you with details about the story.

Prime32
2011-09-25, 03:16 PM
Posting some details would help, since creative people generally have stories they want to tell already.

And I believe you mean "comic", unless you're Japanese. :smalltongue:

Tragic_Comedian
2011-09-25, 04:56 PM
Posting some details would help, since creative people generally have stories they want to tell already.

And I believe you mean "comic", unless you're Japanese. :smalltongue:
You're right, I suppose.

And that's just hair splitting. I just called it a manga because I wanted to make it clear what style it was going to be.

Story Summary:
So, there's this kingdom across the sea, and it's filled with magic, right? It's ruled by a king who's like, the most powerful wizard ever, and his wife, whose no slouch at magic either. But magic, in the world the manga takes place in, causes a person to age when they use it, and keeps them young when they just "hoard" it. The queen begins to notice signs of her own aging, and, since she is very vain, becomes more and more reluctant to use magic. This is bad for the kingdom, since it is basically powered entirely by the magic of the king and queen. Eventually, the king confronts the queen about this, only to realize that in addition to refusing to use her own magic, she has been draining magic from the land and other practitioners and hoarding it in a massive crystal in the palace dungeon. The queen and king have a duel, in which she eventually overpowers the king, and using the magic that she has stored in the crystal, turns the king into a boulder. She then takes over the kingdom, declaring that all magic now belongs to her and storing it in the crystal. Without the magic that previously powered the city, the citizens of the kingdom of are forced to develop advanced technology (think a steam/clockpunk setting) to compensate.

Cut to the time of our story. Far away from the kingdom, on the other side of the sea, lives an orphan girl in a hut with her little brother. One day, a flute washes up on the shore. Soon the girl realizes that it is a magical flute that when played brings objects to life. Then one day, some of the king's subjects track her down and kidnap her, hoping to use the power of the flute to bring the stone king back to life and defeat the queen.

There's also a subplot involving a boy who used to be one of the underground slaves that secretly power the city escaping from the tunnels that he lives in and joining the resistance, but that's still kinda fuzzy at this stage.

Thanqol
2011-09-26, 02:35 AM
I can't commit to a new project, but I will say that the BEST PRACTISE answer is to teach yourself to draw :smallwink: It's less of an insurmountable obstacle than you'd think. Good luck one way or the other.

Tragic_Comedian
2011-09-26, 05:45 PM
I can't commit to a new project, but I will say that the BEST PRACTISE answer is to teach yourself to draw :smallwink: It's less of an insurmountable obstacle than you'd think. Good luck one way or the other.
I guess I could do that in a worst case scenario. Thanks.